Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 5:16:51 PM EDT
[#1]
When we had two Great Pyrenees, you could really see their LGD instincts at work.  At night, one would sit and watch TV with us while the other would patrol the house. They would trade  off about every half hour.  When we went to bed, one would bed down in front of the back door, the other by the front door.

At the dog park, they would make their rounds, checking the perimiter., Then one would come sit by us while the other patrolled.  Very rarely one would play.  In either case, they would switch off on keeping an eye on us.

It's been harder on the male since our female died.  He usually lays in the center roonm of the house where he can see feront and back access.  At night. he waits for me to secure the back doors, then goes to sleep in front of the front door.  Our upstairs actually has a landing and a door to access the second floor (weird 100 year old house) sometimes he stations himself on the landing, where he can just have his back to our door and look down onthe living room and the front room entrance.

At the dog park this weekend (he hasn't been very playful since the other dog passed a year or so ago, but our new puppy is getting him to play) he started on his patrol of the perimeter. A large chocolate lab started following him around trying to get him to play. He finished his patrol, with the lab still trying to entice him (5 acre dog park; a lot of fence) and came back to us. I told him "good boy" and he immediately went and started playing with the lab.

He's a good dog.  He seems to be doing better with his new little puppy brother in the house.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 5:18:46 PM EDT
[#2]
My dog used to wake me up in my sleep by pulling my hair with her teeth and growling.

Come to find out she was waking me up when I stopped breathing in my sleep. (Sleep Apnea)

I miss her a lot.

Link Posted: 12/24/2012 5:20:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep or whine at the bathroom door

My dog just pushes the bathroom door open and lays down by the sink.

Mine has to wait for the cat to open the door for him.

Link Posted: 12/24/2012 5:21:55 PM EDT
[#4]
ive got 3 cats that will do this... its pretty rad... the lil orange one will come in.. stand on my chest if im in bed... mew at me till i open my eyes then she will leave... i think she only does it when im not snoring
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 5:27:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My dog used to wake me up in my sleep by pulling my hair with her teeth and growling.

Come to find out she was waking me up when I stopped breathing in my sleep. (Sleep Apnea)

I miss her a lot.

Link Posted: 12/24/2012 5:29:12 PM EDT
[#6]
My dog will cry if I am in a room and shes locked out... she loves to be around me. She also gets super excited whenever I decide to take her along on a trip to a fast food place...

She loves to tag along!

She is such a lovable small little thing.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 5:30:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Our GSD checks up on us all. At night she'll even go to everyone's bed side to make sure everything is ok.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 5:30:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes. No more than two or three minutes after I leave the room.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 5:30:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

yeah man... He makes his rounds. He will clear the whole house, and keep checking back on us. Also, he has a fondness for my son... If my son is playing in is playroom alone, the dog will lay outside the doorway and keep watch..... He's a boxer, so he's a natural watchful fella.

Mine's the same.  Great dogs.

Link Posted: 12/24/2012 5:38:49 PM EDT
[#10]
She's laying right here at my feet, as I type this....

Link Posted: 12/24/2012 5:41:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Mine used to, in the rare occasion that she wasn't already with me.  Sometimes I'd be in the living room, playing PS3 late at night, and she'd be sleeping with my (then) GF in the bedroom.  She'd come out, sleep on my lap for a little bit, and then go back into the bedroom.  She'd repeat this cycle for awhile.  I'd wake up, and she'd be damn near face to face with me sleeping with her head on my pillow, like she was a human, breathing into my face.

I miss her.  She's not passed.  She's just 700 miles away living with my ex.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 5:42:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yep.

My Neo Mastiff is super protective.  Makes rounds through the house at night, checks on everybody.  Is teaching our English Mastiff pup to do the same thing.

My English mastiff is the same way!  My American bulldog won't let the kids out of his site. At the park if they hide in a tunnel or something he is in point. All the parents are always amazed how he won't take his eyes off them. 300lbs of dogs I feel is the best protection I have
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 5:43:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The bathroom door will pop open if you push on it hard enough, my dog has discovered this and will body check the door and stroll on in,
I always have an audience.

He will also position himself in the house so he can see more than one room if I'm not in the same room with the rest of the family.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 5:44:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 5:46:37 PM EDT
[#15]
My shadow is my dog
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 5:47:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

The bathroom door will pop open if you push on it hard enough, my dog has discovered this and will body check the door and stroll on in,
I always have an audience.

He will also position himself in the house so he can see more than one room if I'm not in the same room with the rest of the family.

When mine was a pup, she came in while I was pooping, and got into my pants/underwear around my ankles.  I had a picture of it on my old phone.  It was hilarious.

Link Posted: 12/24/2012 5:49:19 PM EDT
[#17]
dog and cat both do that.

also cat gets mad and stares at us from the hallway when its bed time and were late dog doesnt really mind so much

Link Posted: 12/24/2012 5:50:12 PM EDT
[#18]

<------Constantly patrols the house. She might sleep for a while, but then she gets up and checks everything out. I have heard her in the middle of the night roaming around. She even comes up to my bedside and sniffs me then goes on to other parts of the house. She mainly sleeps next to my daughter bed which allows me to sleep without much worry.

Link Posted: 12/24/2012 5:50:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Mine will do this in the morning when I leave for work.

During the night, she sleeps with us in our bedroom. When I get up in the morning and leave the house to go to work, she'll get up and lay down in the hallway where she has full view of, and can guard all of the bedrooms.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 5:53:36 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a 2 German Shepherds. The female follows me where ever I go, and she will sleep on the floor on my side of the bed. The male is my girlfriends bodyguard.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 5:55:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Sounds like separation anxiety. Working on breaking my dog of it. Does she tear shit up when you leave her alone in the house by chance?
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 5:57:42 PM EDT
[#22]
One does. One doesn't.  I think the check up one thinks I sm going to find a side door to sneak out.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 5:58:36 PM EDT
[#23]
My dogs micro-manage me.  They don't trust me to do  anything around the house, except during their nap time, when I'm on my own.  They're bulldogs and they don't let anything interfere with their beauty sleep.

Link Posted: 12/24/2012 6:00:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Yep, well actually never leaves my side long enough to have to check on me. Guess it is in his nature (blk/tan Doberman) he will even lay in the doorway when I'm in the toilet at if he is guarding the entrance. Nuttin like a 100lb lap dog that is the biggest baby, but man can be clear a path when in public guess its cause he is BLACK and scary looking. I've had parents grab their children when I walk by, it's actually pretty funny.

I love Dobes, though I've never had one. Don't know what is typical of the breed's temperament but all the ones I've known have been big, lovable, loving babies.

Link Posted: 12/24/2012 6:02:01 PM EDT
[#25]
If my dogs not in the room with me, or staring at me from another room, he's most likely getting into trouble.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 6:02:10 PM EDT
[#26]
My dog tucks me in bed.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 6:04:01 PM EDT
[#27]
My cat checks to see if I'm ripe yet at least a couple times a day
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 6:06:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
A dog's biggest fear is that they will miss something.

Mine never lets me leave a room without her, at the moment.

This, if my dog is alone he is getting in trouble.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 6:08:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My cat checks to see if I'm ripe yet at least a couple times a day

My cats only check on me if the food bowl is empty, or they need a scratch...sort of like my ex-wife.  

Link Posted: 12/24/2012 6:11:44 PM EDT
[#30]
I've got a female Yorkie and a male long-haired chihuahua. The Yorkie is in charge of security.It's not easy you know, humans are sooo unpredictable.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 6:13:03 PM EDT
[#31]
All the time.

Link Posted: 12/24/2012 6:13:58 PM EDT
[#32]
If my daughter is home he's with her.

If she's at school and I'm home he will sit halfway between me and the door watching.
He doesn't do that for the wife.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 6:15:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Yep. Mine is like my shadow.

If I'm home she has to be in eye shot of me.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 6:16:41 PM EDT
[#34]
our lab patrols the house about three times a night - he sleeps on the floor next to my side of the bed gets up sniffs me, walks to wife's side and sniffs, then goes and checks each of the boys rooms then returns

on nights when someone is off visiting he checks 5 or 6 times
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 6:18:59 PM EDT
[#35]
When I'm hiking in the mountains sometimes my setters will stray outta eyesight.  I'll bolt and hide, it usually only takes them a minute or two
to sniff me out no matter how far I go or what I hide behind.  They do a sniffing grid pattern until they find me,  love my dogs.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 6:23:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Our GSD was always in the room we were in, when we went to bed he would sleep against the front door. Outside he would get up and walk the fence border every two hours without fail.

This one could give a fuck where we are as long as she is inside.

She sticks to my wife like glue. follows her everywhere.

Looking at my wife in the kitchen.

Link Posted: 12/24/2012 6:26:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Yep. They don't call Australian Cattle dogs 'Velcro Shadows' for nothing.

Got that right. Sheesh, they NEVER let you out of their sight.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 6:27:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Yes. My cat did as well.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 6:28:28 PM EDT
[#39]
My one Chocolate Lab goes everywhere with me, he doesn't leave my side unless I can sneak out of the room.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 6:29:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Nope, our golden is much more concerned about herself than anyone else.  My husband says she adores me, but I don't see it.  My cat on the hand, is like my shadow.  He is more dog-like than the actual dog is and has currently worked his way under my arm, on my lap and nearly onto my laptop.  He is a good kitty.    

Link Posted: 12/24/2012 6:35:13 PM EDT
[#41]
A lot of these behaviors aren't particularly healthy and should be handled appropriately. Vet wanted to prescribe some kind of "Prozac for dogs" or some shit for mine, but I've never really been fond of that idea for people, so I'm not doing it to my dag either. He's getting a lot better without me pumping chemicals through his brain.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 6:41:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Mine howls whenever I leave the room.

She hates it when I close the bathroom door to take care of business because she can't keep an eye on me.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 6:53:54 PM EDT
[#43]
The border collie most so, usually prefers to be at my feet but runs off to chase the cat or whenever he hears something.   The golden is content to be in the same room, but usually is positioned to watch for the cat
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 6:57:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Even my aloof lab will check up on me every one in awhile. Typically just come into the room and see what I'm doing, then go back about his business. The GSD likes to be by me when she isnt performing patrols of the house or the yard.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 6:57:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Mine does that all the time. Wife says when I'm taking a nap that my dog checks me at least every half hour then lays back down. Here's a pic of my guard dog. Plus he always patrols the house and if he doesn't know you your not coming in.

Link Posted: 12/24/2012 6:59:12 PM EDT
[#46]
My cat does this same thing.  I guess I should be happy she cares about me, ha!
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 7:00:46 PM EDT
[#47]
All THE Time!

It's a good feeling, too.

Link Posted: 12/24/2012 7:01:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
They're checking to see if you are dead yet so that they can eat you.

No, that would be cats.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 7:02:10 PM EDT
[#49]
We're in a hotel room tonight, he is normally quiet as a church mouse. He is on patrol. Pacing the room, at the door barking at any sound in the hall. Sure the other hotel guests are loving it.

Good news is there not seem to be many people here.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 7:04:55 PM EDT
[#50]
yep, the fucker wakes me up daily at 4am like clockwork
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top