Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 2:57:07 PM EDT
[#1]
If you want to learn about the old gods read the Prose Edda and Poetic Edda. Unfortunately a lot of that information is lost to time but those two are the most widely used of the limited sources.
VP
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 3:41:38 PM EDT
[#2]
If op is interested in the pre Christian western tradition he might also be interested in digging into what little is known about the proto indo Europeans. Their concept of a sky father (dyeus phater) is likely the origin of the concept of Zeus, Tyr, Jupiter...
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 5:11:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If op is interested in the pre Christian western tradition he might also be interested in digging into what little is known about the proto indo Europeans. Their concept of a sky father (dyeus phater) is likely the origin of the concept of Zeus, Tyr, Jupiter...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

"To the Unknown God"

I shall and will know thee, Unknown One,
Who searchest out the depths of my soul,
And blowest through my life like a storm,
Ungraspable, and yet my kinsman!
I shall and will know thee, and serve thee.  

-Nietzsche  
The archetypes run throughout european history, over and over again.  The same character, the same gods.  Just the details change.  The names, maybe some attributes are reshuffled, but they're all very similar.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 5:13:12 PM EDT
[#4]
No but I think OP watches Ancient Aliens
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 5:16:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
No but I think OP watches Ancient Aliens
View Quote
lol, no.

I quit believing in aliens not too many years after I quit believing in Santa Claus.   But it's interesting that you bring it up, because I think aliens are also formed out our collective unconscious.  ...but that's a topic for another thread.

In this thread I'm interested in exploring european archetypes and what they might mean, especially to the people that practice these religions in modern times.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 5:23:28 PM EDT
[#6]
No but I am resurrecting Ba'al worship.

Link Posted: 8/5/2017 5:27:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Crom is my god, but I have no tongue for prayer.   In practice, I suppose I should consider myself an Onanist.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 5:29:00 PM EDT
[#8]
View All Quotes
If you practice a Judeo-Christian faith, you may already be worshipping Ba'al.

The title ba'al was a synonym in some contexts of the Hebrew adon ("Lord") and adonai ("My Lord") still used as aliases of the Lord of Israel Yahweh. According to some scholars, the early Hebrews did use the names Ba'al ("Lord") and Ba'ali ("My Lord") in reference to the Lord of Israel, just as Ba'al farther north designated the Lord of Ugarit or Lebanon.

This occurred both directly and as the divine element of some Hebrew theophoric names. However, according to others it is not certain that the name Baal was definitely applied to Yahweh in early Israelite history. The component Baal in proper names is mostly applied to worshippers of Baal, or descendants of the worshippers of Baal. Names including the element Ba'al presumably in reference to Yahweh include the judge Gideon (also known as Jeruba'al, lit. "The Lord Strives"), Saul's son Eshba'al ("The Lord is Great"), and David's son Beeliada ("The Lord Knows"). The name Bealiah ("The Lord is Jah"; "Yahweh is Ba?al")  combined the two. However John Day states that as far as the names Eshba’al, Meriba’al, and Beeliada (that is Baaliada), are concerned it is not certain whether they simply allude to the Cannanite god Ba’al, or are intended to equate Yahweh with Ba’al, or have no connection to Ba’al.

It was the program of Jezebel, in the 9th century bce, to introduce into Israel's capital city of Samaria her Phoenician worship of Baal as opposed to the worship of Yahweh that made the name anathema to the Israelites  
@Citadel-SC    PS:  I need your avatar back.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 5:29:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Nope, just Cthulhu.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 5:32:18 PM EDT
[#10]
They have big discussions on this topic over on Stormfront. The 88s love this shit. No I do not go there but I did live next to the forum founders..in college. They are still based here in the same dump in West Palm Beach.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 5:46:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Subscribed
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 6:43:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Crom is my god, but I have no tongue for prayer.   In practice, I suppose I should consider myself an Onanist.
View Quote
Lol.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 6:44:36 PM EDT
[#13]
ITT, I learn that if a bunch of arfcommers with GSDs and Dobies get together, there will be a bunch of very confused dogs.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 7:02:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
In this thread I'm interested in exploring european archetypes and what they might mean, especially to the people that practice these religions in modern times.
View Quote
It's mainly just LARPing. People (by and far) don't really, really believe them (the Pagan Gods).

-----------------

Fundamentalist Christianity and Islam are reacting against Modernity. Battle for God by Karen Armstrong is pretty good (even just reading the last chapter as to how it pertains to today is good), even though I don't like all her work and think she's wrong on some things.

Intellectually, they're all pretty much relegated to myth. That's why people are "moderates" or "cultural-X". If you really believed it, why wouldn't you be a fundamentalist?

But then, if you're a fundamentalist, you pretty much have to react against Modernity/science/etc. Life is a series of collisions with the future.

People are just grasping for pre-packaged meaning and easy answers.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 7:16:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It's mainly just LARPing. People (by and far) don't really, really believe them (the Pagan Gods).

-----------------

Fundamentalist Christianity and Islam are reacting against Modernity. Battle for God by Karen Armstrong is pretty good, even though I don't like all her work and think she's wrong on some things.

Intellectually, they're all pretty much relegated to myth. That's why people are "moderates" or "cultural-X". If you really believed it, why wouldn't you be a fundamentalist?

But then, if you're a fundamentalist, you pretty much have to react against Modernity/science/etc. Life is a series of collisions with the future.

View Quote
Whatever, just don't boffering near me.  I don't really even know what that is, but it sounds bad.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 7:21:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Whatever, just don't boffering near me.  I don't really even know what that is, but it sounds bad.
View Quote
Lol, had to go look it up.

Mainly just use the term LARPing because it seems to be the most accurate descriptor of what a lot of people are doing now re: religion. People don't really believe X (Pagan Gods, Jordan Peterson belief in "God", etc.), but they will and want to pretend like they do.

I think they realize the fundamentalist literal Adam and Eve, etc. tales don't hold up anymore, so they look for something else.

Grasping for pre-packaged inherent meaning. Actual truth be damned.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 12:32:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

-----------------

Fundamentalist Christianity and Islam are reacting against Modernity. Battle for God by Karen Armstrong is pretty good (even just reading the last chapter as to how it pertains to today is good), even though I don't like all her work and think she's wrong on some things.

View Quote
Faith is irrelevant.

Understanding the archetypes isn't.   It tells a lot about a people.  

Wotan, Odin, Rod, Pragbog, Hrodo, Chrodo, Crodo ...doesn't matter.  Their character tells a lot about the people that followed them.  Their character tells a lot about the soul of people.

Yahweh, Jehovah, Ba'al, ...tells a lot about about a people.

My thoughts are Wotan is much more european than Yahweh, or Ba'al.  I can identify with Wotan and Odin, while Yahweh, Jehovah, and Baal are very much alien to me.  

Of course it's all controversial, because we're talking about archetypes.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 1:29:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
This very well may have been the single best post in GD history.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 1:31:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Jerking off is a religion now?

Hell, where can I sign up for tax exempt status?
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 1:35:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Rig.

That...and I respect crows.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 3:21:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Faith is irrelevant.

Wotan, Odin, Rod, Pragbog, Hrodo, Chrodo, Crodo ...doesn't matter.  Their character tells a lot about the people that followed them.  Their character tells a lot about the soul of people.

My thoughts are Wotan is much more european than Yahweh, or Ba'al.  I can identify with Wotan and Odin, while Yahweh, Jehovah, and Baal are very much alien to me.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-----------------

Faith is irrelevant.

People today are just doing it to grasp at any pre-packaged meaning possible. They don't really really believe in Wotan and Odin.

People who actually believe/believed it, believe/believed it because they think it's real, not merely because it's a nice myth. Under your/Jungian thinking, people knowingly worship/die for what they know to be fairy tales/Aesop's fables.

People actually believing it is the important part, it's not just some nice myths to them.

-------------------

Also, Jung is a quack.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electra_complex

astrology, etc., etc.

Psychology largely moved away from such conjecture-based, psychobabble claptrap. Thankfully.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 3:22:26 AM EDT
[#22]
OST
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:00:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

@Citadel-SC    PS:  I need your avatar back.
View Quote
Many thanks kind sir.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:35:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Many thanks kind sir.
View Quote
There's just something about Asma I like.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:36:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

People today are just doing it to grasp at any pre-packaged meaning possible. They don't really really believe in Wotan and Odin.

People who actually believe/believed it, believe/believed it because they think it's real, not merely because it's a nice myth. Under your/Jungian thinking, people knowingly worship/die for what they know to be fairy tales/Aesop's fables.

People actually believing it is the important part, it's not just some nice myths to them.

-------------------

Also, Jung is a quack.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electra_complex

astrology, etc., etc.

Psychology largely moved away from such conjecture-based, psychobabble claptrap. Thankfully.
View Quote
Tell me what you really think about Jung.

Personally, I wouldn't call him a quack, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:47:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Regardless of your stance on the germanic religions, I think we can all agree their noble virtues are worthwhile.  These are some of them, that I've found.

The Nine Noble Virtues are:
1 Courage (Valiance)
2 Truth (Sincerity)
3 Honor
4 Fidelity
5 Discipline
6 Hospitality
7 Self Reliance
8 Industriousness (Diligence)
9 Perseverance

To maintain candour and fidelity in love and devotion to the tried friend: though he strike me I will do him no scathe.
Never to make wrongsome oath: for great and grim is the reward for the breaking of plighted troth.
To deal not hardly with the humble and the lowly.
To remember the respect that is due to great age.
To suffer no evil to go unremedied and to fight against the enemies of Faith, Folk and Family: my foes I will fight in the field, nor will I stay to be burnt in my house.
To succour the friendless but to put no faith in the pledged word of a stranger people.
If I hear the fool's word of a drunken man I will strive not: for many a grief and the very death groweth from out such things.
To give kind heed to dead people: straw dead, sea dead or sword dead.
To abide by the enactments of lawful authority and to bear with courage the decrees of the Norns.

1  Strength is better than weakness
2  Courage is better than cowardice
3  Joy is better than guilt
4  Honour is better than dishonour
5  Freedom is better than slavery
6  Kinship is better than alienation
7  Realism is better than dogmatism
8  Vigor is better than lifelessness
9  Ancestry is better than rootlessness

The Six-Fold Goal

Right is ruled over by Tÿr.  It is the justice of law shaped by the lore of our folk and meted out with good judgment and true by those who can see the truth.  This is a goal rationally sought and rationally administered--The rule of rationality and enlightenment in the world.  From this our desire to see a world rationally is derived.

Wisdom is watched over by Odhinn.  This is the hidden lore and powers welling up from the darkest depths of our souls and hovering high over our heads, shining beyond the clouds, and leading us on to the unknown.  This is the mysterious force that has the ability to hold all things together, ruled by those who can see and understand the whole.  Above all wisdom must be preserved, for in it are the wells of all memory.  If it and only it susvives, all other parts of the whole may be regenerated.  From this is derived our sense of adventure, our curiosity about the unknown, our seeking and questioning character.

Might is wielded by Thörr.  In might is embodied the two-fold goal of victory and defense, which both depend on pure power or might for their ultimate right.  Without this pivotal goal, all others will fall into decay and be overcome by things outside the truth --- as indeed they have been.But, might must be ruled over by right and wisdom, and must serve the purposes of harvest and frith.  There is worth of might in and of itself, however.  In the bodily expression of power is found the joy of victory which acts as balm on the soul of the warrior.  The goal of conquest and exercise of might can be turned without or within the true man or woman --- but it must find expression.  From this is derived our hunger for conquests, big and small, and our great will to power.

Harvest is holy to the vanir.   This is the reaping of the things of the good cycles of nature, which ensures that the folk continues to flourish in the world, that the livestock abound in good health, and that the seed is rightly planted, cut, and threshed.  Harvest is the overriding need for organic continuance --- for the continuance of organic life.  Harvest here includes all the fruits of economic cycles.  It is the goodness of plenty, of wealth, and of physical well-being.  Today our society and our desire for abundance and wealth is dominated by this value system,

Frith is ruled by Freyr and Freyja.  Frith is our own word for "peace".  Frith is the true state of "peace" wherein all parts of the Six-Fold Goal are successfully pursued and attained by a society.  In frith is true freedom, for frith is the essence of freedom, the state in which self-directed, self-willed growth and development can take place.  Frith usually implies an absence of war but not of struggle of conflict, which must always be present on some level when true growth is taking place.  In frith we do not stand still; in frith we learn how to take our fights to ever higher fields. Right/might/frith form a powerful axis.  Might provides the protection frith needs to promote freedom, but might must be ruled by right to protect frith from ungoverned might.  From frith comes our almost universal desire for "peace", but if we misunderstand what this means, we can bring ourselves not "peace" but stagnation and death.

Love is the law of life and is embodied in Frey and Freya, the "Lord and Lady".  This is the pure and powerful love, or the "lust" of eroticism.  In it is our sense of play and pleasure.  The stem word from which "love" derived really has to do with the enjoyment of (physical) pleasure.  That we all seek this as a goal is natural and good, but it is not without its non-natural or "spiritual" sides, to be sure.  In seeking pleasure, we show and more importantly experience an unbridled lust for life itself.  This deep well of desire acts from below much the way wisdom does from above;  in fact there is a sacred bond between them.  Wisdom and love hold the six goals together.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 5:51:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Interesting...

Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:35:06 AM EDT
[#28]
It's an odd coincidence that Franz Stuck painted that picture depicting Wotan (Odin) in 1889.  The year of Adolf Hitler's birth.  His depiction of Wotan does look similar to Hitler.

It's also ironic that Jung thought these archetypes would reemerge in a people, especially in times of stress.  While Wotan, or Odin, was the lead god in the pantheon of Anglo-saxons,  he was a bit scary.  

Like all the anglo-saxon gods he had flaws.  He was unpredictable, and driven by his passions.  The berserkers where thought to possessed by Wotan, they were said to be his warriors.  Wotan was a complex and interesting character, unlike Thunor (Thor), he wasn't a god of the people.  He could be thrown into rage.  

It is this rage Jung was concerned about after WWI.  He believed that if the German people were driven hard enough Wotan would reemerge.

Ironically, it seems that he did in a very destructive way.  I wonder if the gynocentric social marxism the West seems to have capitulated to will cause another "reawakening" of Wotan?
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:51:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 11:33:55 PM EDT
[#30]
I sent you an IM, I havent been on lately and was summoned to this thread
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 11:45:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
A lot of white inmates do, but it's usually an excuse to group up in the chapel.
View Quote
Yep only Odinists I have ever seen where when I worked corrections.

Just figured them and  the Satanists were just wanting to be edgy , and they were bored
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 11:51:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Yes.  Some people do believe. 

Some people follow and embrace it as a part of the heritage and who they are.

I imagine some of the people who don't follow it literally also believe in a God or gods but not literally Odin.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 11:59:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Regardless of your stance on the germanic religions, I think we can all agree their noble virtues are worthwhile.  These are some of them, that I've found.

1 Courage (Valiance)
2 Truth (Sincerity)
3 Honor
4 Fidelity
5 Discipline
6 Hospitality
7 Self Reliance
9 Perseverance

To maintain candour and fidelity in love and devotion to the tried friend: though he strike me I will do him no scathe.
Never to make wrongsome oath: for great and grim is the reward for the breaking of plighted troth.
To suffer no evil to go unremedied and to fight against the enemies of Faith, Folk and Family: my foes I will fight in the field, nor will I stay to be burnt in my house.
To succour the friendless but to put no faith in the pledged word of a stranger people.
If I hear the fool's word of a drunken man I will strive not: for many a grief and the very death groweth from out such things.
To abide by the enactments of lawful authority and to bear with courage the decrees of the Norns.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

1 Courage (Valiance)
2 Truth (Sincerity)
3 Honor
4 Fidelity
5 Discipline
6 Hospitality
7 Self Reliance
9 Perseverance

The Six-Fold Goal

Right is ruled over by Tÿr.  It is the justice of law shaped by the lore of our folk and meted out with good judgment and true by those who can see the truth.  This is a goal rationally sought and rationally administered--The rule of rationality and enlightenment in the world.  From this our desire to see a world rationally is derived.

Wisdom is watched over by Odhinn.  This is the hidden lore and powers welling up from the darkest depths of our souls and hovering high over our heads, shining beyond the clouds, and leading us on to the unknown.  This is the mysterious force that has the ability to hold all things together, ruled by those who can see and understand the whole.  Above all wisdom must be preserved, for in it are the wells of all memory.  If it and only it susvives, all other parts of the whole may be regenerated.  From this is derived our sense of adventure, our curiosity about the unknown, our seeking and questioning character.

Might is wielded by Thörr.  In might is embodied the two-fold goal of victory and defense, which both depend on pure power or might for their ultimate right.  Without this pivotal goal, all others will fall into decay and be overcome by things outside the truth --- as indeed they have been.But, might must be ruled over by right and wisdom, and must serve the purposes of harvest and frith.  There is worth of might in and of itself, however.  In the bodily expression of power is found the joy of victory which acts as balm on the soul of the warrior.  The goal of conquest and exercise of might can be turned without or within the true man or woman --- but it must find expression.  From this is derived our hunger for conquests, big and small, and our great will to power.

Harvest is holy to the vanir.   This is the reaping of the things of the good cycles of nature, which ensures that the folk continues to flourish in the world, that the livestock abound in good health, and that the seed is rightly planted, cut, and threshed.  Harvest is the overriding need for organic continuance --- for the continuance of organic life.  Harvest here includes all the fruits of economic cycles.  It is the goodness of plenty, of wealth, and of physical well-being.  Today our society and our desire for abundance and wealth is dominated by this value system,

Frith is ruled by Freyr and Freyja.  Frith is our own word for "peace".  Frith is the true state of "peace" wherein all parts of the Six-Fold Goal are successfully pursued and attained by a society.  In frith is true freedom, for frith is the essence of freedom, the state in which self-directed, self-willed growth and development can take place.  Frith usually implies an absence of war but not of struggle of conflict, which must always be present on some level when true growth is taking place.  In frith we do not stand still; in frith we learn how to take our fights to ever higher fields. Right/might/frith form a powerful axis.  Might provides the protection frith needs to promote freedom, but might must be ruled by right to protect frith from ungoverned might.  From frith comes our almost universal desire for "peace", but if we misunderstand what this means, we can bring ourselves not "peace" but stagnation and death.

Love is the law of life and is embodied in Frey and Freya, the "Lord and Lady".  This is the pure and powerful love, or the "lust" of eroticism.  In it is our sense of play and pleasure.  The stem word from which "love" derived really has to do with the enjoyment of (physical) pleasure.  That we all seek this as a goal is natural and good, but it is not without its non-natural or "spiritual" sides, to be sure.  In seeking pleasure, we show and more importantly experience an unbridled lust for life itself.  This deep well of desire acts from below much the way wisdom does from above;  in fact there is a sacred bond between them.  Wisdom and love hold the six goals together.
I'd subscribe to your newsletter.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 9:23:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Yep only Odinists I have ever seen where when I worked corrections.

Just figured them and  the Satanists were just wanting to be edgy , and they were bored
View Quote
Who is this figure?  From a FL inmate.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 10:19:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'm certainly not a religious scholar, so take anything I write with a grain of salt. But there are lots of articles on the subject.  Some is just fact, like the fact that Christianity, along with Judaism, and Islam are semitic religions.  They aren't form Europe, they're from the middle-east.  

Catholics don't "worship" saints, but they have all sorts of patron saints that are attributed with all sorts of special areas of influence, and supernatural powers, or events.  There are patron saints for almost every profession, and to pray to for intervention in all sorts of things.  If you lose something, pray to Saint Anthony of Padua, he'll help you find it.
(List by occupation and activity)  

Again, Catholics will become very upset if you say that they worship these saints, but some will admit that they pray to them, have holy medals, feast days, statues, and various other icons.    While they aren't "gods", they certainly seem to fill the role of many of the pagan's lessor gods.  Some even seem to be direct replacements for older gods.  The Romans had gods for everything, thousands of them, and the Catholic Church now has a Saint for everything.  

As far as Easter and Christmas being plastered over important pagan holidays, that's obvious.  Europeans celebrated the winter solstice, it was a big deal for people of more northern regions.  The Romans and Greeks also had special celebrations at this time of year.   Christian theologians don't believe Jesus was born in December, and most will readily admit that the holiday was set to replace pagan holidays the people wouldn't give up.  

The bible says nothing of Christmas lights, yule logs, evergreen trees, mistletoe, gift giving, bunnies or eggs.
 Those all came from various pagan traditions that early european converts to Christianity simply didn't want to give up.  So the Christian church just blended them in.  

A quick Google or Amazon search would probably provide more reliable sources than me.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

got some book recommendations on both points above?
I'm certainly not a religious scholar, so take anything I write with a grain of salt. But there are lots of articles on the subject.  Some is just fact, like the fact that Christianity, along with Judaism, and Islam are semitic religions.  They aren't form Europe, they're from the middle-east.  

Catholics don't "worship" saints, but they have all sorts of patron saints that are attributed with all sorts of special areas of influence, and supernatural powers, or events.  There are patron saints for almost every profession, and to pray to for intervention in all sorts of things.  If you lose something, pray to Saint Anthony of Padua, he'll help you find it.
(List by occupation and activity)  

Again, Catholics will become very upset if you say that they worship these saints, but some will admit that they pray to them, have holy medals, feast days, statues, and various other icons.    While they aren't "gods", they certainly seem to fill the role of many of the pagan's lessor gods.  Some even seem to be direct replacements for older gods.  The Romans had gods for everything, thousands of them, and the Catholic Church now has a Saint for everything.  

As far as Easter and Christmas being plastered over important pagan holidays, that's obvious.  Europeans celebrated the winter solstice, it was a big deal for people of more northern regions.  The Romans and Greeks also had special celebrations at this time of year.   Christian theologians don't believe Jesus was born in December, and most will readily admit that the holiday was set to replace pagan holidays the people wouldn't give up.  

The bible says nothing of Christmas lights, yule logs, evergreen trees, mistletoe, gift giving, bunnies or eggs.
 Those all came from various pagan traditions that early european converts to Christianity simply didn't want to give up.  So the Christian church just blended them in.  

A quick Google or Amazon search would probably provide more reliable sources than me.  
They are mentioned in the old testament and forbidden.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:14:40 AM EDT
[#37]
I am assuming Thor with the hammer
 Asatru symbols in the bottom pic  looks like Odin's helmet 

Not an expert on this did not work in intelligence or anything

we were just given a wide encompassing crash course on all the various religions practiced in the system 
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 5:49:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 7:06:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Yeah, it's quite amazing how much of our culture is based on these traditions.  Easter bunnies and eggs make no sense until you understand that they come from a germanic goddess, that has nothing to do with christianity.  The same for the other holidays, like Christmas.  

From these traditions we get the names of our weekdays.  It's quite amazing really.  Christianity just layered on top of these traditions.  ...they're still there.  Carl Jung had some interesting theories on the subject.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tomorrow is Wodansday
Yeah, it's quite amazing how much of our culture is based on these traditions.  Easter bunnies and eggs make no sense until you understand that they come from a germanic goddess, that has nothing to do with christianity.  The same for the other holidays, like Christmas.  

From these traditions we get the names of our weekdays.  It's quite amazing really.  Christianity just layered on top of these traditions.  ...they're still there.  Carl Jung had some interesting theories on the subject.
The word Easter is a corruption of Ishtar, the Assyrian/Babylonian goddess of Fertility.  Blame the Catholic church for trying to co-opt the local deities in their proselytisation.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 7:21:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The word Easter is a corruption of Ishtar, the Assyrian/Babylonian goddess of Fertility.  Blame the Catholic church for trying to co-opt the local deities in their proselytisation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tomorrow is Wodansday

Most European languages seem to use a variaton of the Hebrew name though.

Link Posted: 8/15/2017 7:40:51 AM EDT
[#41]

Check out  Cernunnos, The Horned God on the Gundestrup Cauldron which pre-dates Christianity.

Bronze statue of a naked Celtic warrior with horned helmet and torc.

Bronze ceremonial horned helmet with repoussé decoration in the La Tène style, discovered in the River Thames at Waterloo Bridge, London
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 7:49:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Germanic heritage here, would love to know more about it
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 9:27:27 AM EDT
[#43]
I found these guys on YouTube.  As far as I can tell, they are a group of reenactors that have gotten into the religions of northern europe.  So, they have a study group.  Some of the lectures are on YouTube, but they also have a website.

Hurstwic: Religion in the Viking Age

I liked this guys comparison between Christians and Heathens starting around 13:30
Hurstwic: The Coexistence of Heathenry and Christianity in the Viking Age

Their YouTube channel is called thorleifr and can be found here: Link

From watching the videos, at least some of the group, seems to practice various forms of religion.  Whether that is just part of their interest in reenacting or not, I can't tell.  But some of their lectures were interesting, and worth a watch, if you're interested in such things.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 9:31:50 AM EDT
[#44]
I wouldn't consider myself a devout Asatru but I do use the havamal as a moral compass, have read the poetic Edda. If I want to believe in gods and what not I might as well believe in good ones.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 9:40:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I am assuming Thor with the hammer
 Asatru symbols in the bottom pic  looks like Odin's helmet 

Not an expert on this did not work in intelligence or anything

we were just given a wide encompassing crash course on all the various religions practiced in the system 
View Quote
Ron McVan, who was a white supremacist and convicted felon, sentenced to 190 years in prison, founded a religion called Wotansvolk.  Wikipedia article

White supremacist, and people with nefarious pasts, seems to be a problem for a lot of current organizations.  A lot of them are trying to distance themselves from that particular sub-culture.  But   ...it's a problem.

I guess all religions have unsavory people associated with them.  It's easy to understand why white supremacist would be attracted to this belief system.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 9:42:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is shocking to many Christians who are not aware of the origin of these traditions.  Christianity, in order to convert many of the pagans of that time and that region, co-opted many of their traditions.  They then gave these traditions a Christian basis for their existence.
I can understand why some of the protestant faiths won't celebrate the holidays.  

They're probably right not to.  They're all European pagan in nature, and not middle-eastern semitic.  I guess they had to westernize Christianity to sell it to the europeans.
http://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/151/590x/secondary/Jesus-2-414199.jpg
I laughed when I watched the last episode of American Gods.

There must have been 40 Jesuses at the party
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 9:52:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I laughed when I watched the last episode of American Gods.

There must have been 40 Jesuses at the party
View Quote
Look, I like the Christmas Jesus best, and I'm sayin' grace. When you say grace, you can say it to Grownup Jesus or Teenage Jesus or Bearded Jesus or whoever you want. - Ricky Bobby
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 9:55:51 AM EDT
[#48]
I like how American Gods is capturing the different religions.

That being said, Odin and the Norse gods were kind of assholes that played with people all the time, for fun and often maliciously.

Luckily humans had Loki, when he wasn't venturing into the realms of bestiality, to protect us.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:38:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I like how American Gods is capturing the different religions.

That being said, Odin and the Norse gods were kind of assholes that played with people all the time, for fun and often maliciously.

Luckily humans had Loki, when he wasn't venturing into the realms of bestiality, to protect us.
View Quote
The germanic religions, and to a certain extent all european religions, where very different than the semitic Abrahamic religions.  

One key difference was the different way the europeans thought of their gods, and approached them.  They're gods were more like "elder kin", not unapproachable overlords.  They were imperfect, they had flaws, and could screw-up.  So they were very much more human than the Abrahamic god.

But, in my opinion, that makes the Abrahamic god more problematic.  If he is the all powerful, all knowing, creator of the universe, then he is either evil, or imperfect.  Take your pick.  If everything is going to plan, then he's evil.   If evil is just a "flaw" in his creation, ...then he's imperfect and not all powerful and all knowing.   One or the other.  

If you believe he's all knowing and all powerful, then he's responsible for everything wrong in the world.  The only difference is his followers believe it's some sort of unknowable divine plan.  But that begs the question, why would an all powerful all knowing god need to cause pain or suffering, or allow it to happen?  Why did man, and creation, have to "fall"?   Why didn't he just fix the "flaw", or better yet, why didn't he just not create the "flaw" in the first place?  If you are believer, then you are left with one very unsatisfying answer, ....because god wills it, it may not make sense to you, but you just have to accept it.  

In that respect the european archetypes were more logical, and perhaps a bit more intellectually satisfying, even in their imperfection.

From what I can tell, Thor seemed to be the everyman's god.  Odin was more "scary", and unpredictable.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:28:51 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
how does one worship a god with out a sacrifice ? 
View Quote
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top