BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 1:12:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I live on Wotan Rd.   it intersects Valhalla Drive.  All the neighborhood streets are Viking related too.  Norse, Viking, Valkyrie, Odin, etc. Local school mascot is the Vikings.

Of course they turned Dwayne Johnson into a Viking too.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32016/IMG-1761-269179.JPG
View Quote
Can you smell what the god of thunder is cooking?!?
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 1:14:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Christianity under the Glacier.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 1:15:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Wotan, King of the Gods, married to Fricka, Goddess of marriage and fidelity.

Wotan was also known as, "The Wanderer"
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 1:16:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Is your religion organized?  What books or scriptures do you follow?  What traditions do you keep? Obviously you weren't raised in these traditions, how did you get into them?  Is this part of the new-aged movement?  I saw a video on this topic and I have so many questions, and so few answers.  

(I'm not judging...just curious)
View Quote

My family and clan have been killing fucking Vikings since those murderous bastards took to boats.  Fair enough.  I'm Roman Catholic because the English told us they would kill us if we did not convert.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 1:23:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

My family and clan have been killing fucking Vikings since those murderous bastards took to boats.  Fair enough.  I'm Roman Catholic because the English told us they would kill us if we did not convert.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is your religion organized?  What books or scriptures do you follow?  What traditions do you keep? Obviously you weren't raised in these traditions, how did you get into them?  Is this part of the new-aged movement?  I saw a video on this topic and I have so many questions, and so few answers.  

Not sure if you and I are blood enemies or not...
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 1:25:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Groundskeeper Willie: Damn those Scots
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 1:37:08 AM EDT
[#7]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5lYXaVkA0U
Yeah... that is basically correct.

I may be descended from Thor (and can back that up with 500 years of genealogy)... and also I'm a bad Baptist.

But I hate the Catholics!

Link Posted: 8/2/2017 1:39:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Tomorrow is Wodansday
View Quote
Pretty sure that comes from Latin as "Day of Mercury." All across Europe, the Near East, and Asia, Wednesday is associated with the planet Mercury. Woden was considered the "Germanic Mercury" by the Romans.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 1:46:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I may be descended from Thor (and can back that up with 500 years of genealogy)... and also I'm a bad Baptist.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5lYXaVkA0U

Quoting myself... I've also been with some Viet-Catholic girls...they were okay.

So, yeah... pragmatism.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 1:47:03 AM EDT
[#10]
We used to have a pretty regular poster who espoused belief in the old Viking gods. Not sure if he's still around, don't recall his screen name.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 1:27:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
We used to have a pretty regular poster who espoused belief in the old Viking gods. Not sure if he's still around, don't recall his screen name.
View Quote
Looking around the internet, it appears that there are different sects, Odinist, Asatru, and Wotanist.  Odinist and Wotanist focus on Odin or Wotan.  Their sects seem to be more racially motivated.  Wotanist are definately more racist, but Odinist are into some fairly fringe ideas.  They are concerned with the structure of society, including politics and economics.  Asatru folks are more into the traditional european religion, not so much into the structure of society.   But some of what I've found about Asatru is they're more likely to be "Renaissance festival like".  Some of them dress up like they're from the Viking age.  ...but there is quite a mix.

There really aren't any religious books, just old poems and epics.  ...many written by early Christians, not pagans.  

What got me interested in it was reading some of Carl Jung's writings on the subject.  Christianity has blended in a lot of the pagan traditions, we all know this.  We can thank the pagans for Christmas and Easter.  And a lot of the Catholic saints are kind of like the early demigods, and while not "worshiped" by Catholics as gods, they kind of fill the same role.

Christianity at its base is a semitic religion, a religion that speaks to the people of the middle-east.  It's not based on western culture, instead it's adopted some of western european aspects, to sell it to europeans.  Jung was into archetypes, and felt that gods were cultural archetypes.   Jung himself was an atheist, but believed that these cultural archetypes were important.

Interesting stuff.  

I'd still like to hear from more heathen members here, I'm sure they could enlighten the conversation.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 2:26:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Germanic religious beliefs weren't a single coherent tradition. They varied from place to place, and time to time.

All the revivals are based on what limited information we have about the traditions, but overall it's a mixed bag. Most people who claim to be pagan don't actually believe it, they just enjoy the myths.

In essence, Germanic pagan religion is wide open to interpretation. If you want a good starting point you should start with the Eddas, but be aware that they were written from an Icelandic point of view in the 13th century. They aren't indicative of the faith as practiced elsewhere in the Germanic world.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 2:34:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I drink mead.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 2:50:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What got me interested in it was reading some of Carl Jung's writings on the subject.  Christianity has blended in a lot of the pagan traditions, we all know this.  We can thank the pagans for Christmas and Easter.  And a lot of the Catholic saints are kind of like the early demigods, and while not "worshiped" by Catholics as gods, they kind of fill the same role.

Christianity at its base is a semitic religion, a religion that speaks to the people of the middle-east.  It's not based on western culture, instead it's adopted some of western european aspects, to sell it to europeans. Jung was into archetypes, and felt that gods were cultural archetypes.   Jung himself was an atheist, but believed that these cultural archetypes were important.
View Quote
got some book recommendations on both points above?
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 2:55:33 PM EDT
[#15]
One man's imaginary "God" is about the same as the next when they try to kill you in their name.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 3:00:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
One man's imaginary "God" is about the same as the next when they try to kill you in their name.
View Quote
when was the last time Christians (as a movement, not individuals) attempted that?
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 3:03:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Read the Havmal.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 3:05:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I can understand why some of the protestant faiths won't celebrate the holidays.  

They're probably right not to.  They're all European pagan in nature, and not middle-eastern semitic.  I guess they had to westernize Christianity to sell it to the europeans.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is shocking to many Christians who are not aware of the origin of these traditions.  Christianity, in order to convert many of the pagans of that time and that region, co-opted many of their traditions.  They then gave these traditions a Christian basis for their existence.
I can understand why some of the protestant faiths won't celebrate the holidays.  

They're probably right not to.  They're all European pagan in nature, and not middle-eastern semitic.  I guess they had to westernize Christianity to sell it to the europeans.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 5:11:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

got some book recommendations on both points above?
View Quote
I'm certainly not a religious scholar, so take anything I write with a grain of salt. But there are lots of articles on the subject.  Some is just fact, like the fact that Christianity, along with Judaism, and Islam are semitic religions.  They aren't form Europe, they're from the middle-east.  

Catholics don't "worship" saints, but they have all sorts of patron saints that are attributed with all sorts of special areas of influence, and supernatural powers, or events.  There are patron saints for almost every profession, and to pray to for intervention in all sorts of things.  If you lose something, pray to Saint Anthony of Padua, he'll help you find it.
(List by occupation and activity)  

Again, Catholics will become very upset if you say that they worship these saints, but some will admit that they pray to them, have holy medals, feast days, statues, and various other icons.    While they aren't "gods", they certainly seem to fill the role of many of the pagan's lessor gods.  Some even seem to be direct replacements for older gods.  The Romans had gods for everything, thousands of them, and the Catholic Church now has a Saint for everything.  

As far as Easter and Christmas being plastered over important pagan holidays, that's obvious.  Europeans celebrated the winter solstice, it was a big deal for people of more northern regions.  The Romans and Greeks also had special celebrations at this time of year.   Christian theologians don't believe Jesus was born in December, and most will readily admit that the holiday was set to replace pagan holidays the people wouldn't give up.  

The bible says nothing of Christmas lights, yule logs, evergreen trees, mistletoe, gift giving, bunnies or eggs.  Those all came from various pagan traditions that early european converts to Christianity simply didn't want to give up.  So the Christian church just blended them in.  

A quick Google or Amazon search would probably provide more reliable sources than me.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 5:23:30 PM EDT
[#20]
I like the Christmas Jesus best, and I’m sayin grace. When you say grace, you can say it to grown up Jesus, or teenage Jesus, or bearded Jesus, or whatever you want.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 5:29:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

when was the last time Christians (as a movement, not individuals) attempted that?
View Quote
Probably this morning, in Africa.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 6:40:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Worship no, but I have two german shepherds, named Odin, and freya... That count?
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 7:29:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Read the Havmal.
View Quote
Havamal.....read the Voluspa as well

I wear a Mjolnir....not a fanatic about it as some are, only met up with a few like minded volk and pretty much just keep it to myself now.

Not a bad belief system, the Nine Noble Virtues are a pretty decent way to live your life by.

Good thing is just about everything about it, writings, structure, different sects, rune alphabets are online somewhere for free, so you don't have to buy shit to research and study it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 11:01:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Germanic religious beliefs weren't a single coherent tradition. They varied from place to place, and time to time.

All the revivals are based on what limited information we have about the traditions, but overall it's a mixed bag. Most people who claim to be pagan don't actually believe it, they just enjoy the myths.

In essence, Germanic pagan religion is wide open to interpretation. If you want a good starting point you should start with the Eddas, but be aware that they were written from an Icelandic point of view in the 13th century. They aren't indicative of the faith as practiced elsewhere in the Germanic world.
View Quote
That's what is so lame about it to me. It looks like they are basically playing make believe for attention. The Wiccans seem the same way. I will never understand how someone could convert to a well-established religion, that is completely alien to their native beliefs, let alone a religion that is dead and mostly forgotten.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 11:34:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That's what is so lame about it to me. It looks like they are basically playing make believe for attention. The Wiccans seem the same way. I will never understand how someone could convert to a well-established religion, that is completely alien to their native beliefs, let alone a religion that is dead and mostly forgotten.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

They mostly did it for politics.  Christianity's strategy for spreading was get the rulers to do it.  The initial waves of christian missionaries tried, and failed to convert the masses, but if they focused on the rulers, then the people would have to follow.

Most of the Germanic and other european rulers did it in order to strengthen their grip on power.  Because the semitic religion was so alien to northern europeans the message of the meek didn't sell well to them.  In order to get the people to convert they had to repackage that idea and present Jesus not as a man who was crucified, but as a god that was victorious.  

...The character of Christianity changed on its journey all the way from Palestine to Northern Europe. In Scandinavia Christianity encountered another mentality to that which was found in Southern Europe. The ideal of the Vikings was the warrior and the aim was victory. Therefore “the suffering Christ” on the cross was not received sympathetically amongst the Vikings, and the Christian missionaries instead placed emphasis upon “the victorious Christ”.---Link    
Europeans had gods of strength and power.  The archetypes of the european mind were "winners and warriors".  The meek and peaceful god that appealed to the mind of the people in Palestine and people from eastern cultures didn't go over all too well in europe.   It took their rulers to sell it, and then ultimately wipe out traditional archetypes.  

The adoption of Christianity was also beneficial to the king. It brought with it a strengthening of royal power in the land. However, Harald Bluetooth needed the support of many powerful magnates in order to take this step, or else his power would be threatened. It seems that Harald received the backing of his supporters, as the earliest traces of churches have been found on magnates’ estates.

After Harald’s baptism, Christianity was initially primarily the preserve of rich magnates and their wives. They possessed the wealth and resources to enable them to build churches. The magnates constructed churches to remain on good terms with the king, but also to secure a place in paradise after death.

But probably not all magnates were willing to follow Harald Bluetooth’s lead. We know that the Pope in Rome forbid the magnates from owning the churches on their estates. Harald’s conversion to Christianity was perhaps not only a necessary evil, but also part of an attempt to wrest power from local magnates. Religious worship, which previously had been the responsibility of local magnates, was now in the hands of the clergy. (same link as above)    
The semitic religions pacified Europeans and made them much more controllable.  But as evidenced by world history, our tendencies have taken a long time to breed out.  We remained fairly aggressive for a 1000 years after our conversion conquering most of the world.  It's only now, that we see progressive ideologies are finally dismantling and unraveling the remnants of western european culture.

Semitic religions where the first tool used to destroy our archetypes, third wave feminism, progressivism, and the SJW movement are the prefered tools today.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:08:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My ancestry is German on both sides of the family.  I grew up in a very German ancestral area of the country.  I have friends who I grew up with that have tatoos that reference Wotan/Odin and the Germanic tribes of their ancestors.  I find it interesting but never got into it like they did.
View Quote
It's too bad that much of these symbols have been co-opted by some less than savory groups.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:18:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It's too bad that much of these symbols have been co-opted by some less than savory groups.
View Quote
Such as fucking 88ers co-opting the Valknut.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 2:21:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Action and reaction.  

The racist groups are a direct response to the mainstream social marxist movements.  Which are really the same kind of movement.  

Racial and sex discrimination is wrong, unless you call it "affirmative action".  Saying "Black lives matter" is okay, but saying "White lives matter", or even "all lives matter" is racist.  Having a Black History month is okay, having a white history month would be raciest.  Telling non-white kids to have pride in their culture is good, telling white kids to have pride in their culture is wrong.  Islam is a different culture which you should accept, opposing it because it conflicts with your culture marks you a raciest.  IQ doesn't matter, all people are the same, and interchangeable.  Diversity of culture is good, and must be encouraged, but only for western countries.

It's easy to understand where the white supremacist movement gets its energy.  ...action and reaction.  It keeps the people divided, and gives the political class power and wealth.  

It's kind of interesting that this process has been going on for more than a thousand years.  When europeans were stripped of their archetypes, the pacification began.

Carl Jung's essay on Wotan might be of interest....

...It was not in Wotan’s nature to linger on and show signs of old age. He simply disappeared when the times turned against him, and remained invisible for more than a thousand years, working anonymously and indirectly.Archetypes are like riverbeds which dry up when the water deserts them, but which it can find again at any time. An archetype is like an old watercourse along which the water of life has flowed for centuries, digging a deep channel for itself. The longer it has flowed in this channel the more likely it is that sooner or later the water will return to its old bed. The life of the individual as a member of society and particularly as a part of the State maybe regulated like a canal, but the life of nations is a great rushing river which is utterly beyond human control, in the hands of One who has always been stronger than men. The League of Nations, which was supposed to possess supranational authority, is regarded by some as a child in need of care and protection, by others as an abortion. Thus, the life of nations rolls on unchecked, without guidance, unconscious of where it is going, like a rock crashing down the side of a hill, until it is stopped by an obstacle stronger than itself. Political events move from one impasse to the next, like a torrent caught in gullies, creeks and marshes. All human control comes to an end when the individual is caught in a mass movement. Then, the archetypes begin to function, as happens, also, in the lives of individuals when they are confronted with situations that cannot be dealt with in any of the familiar ways. But what a so-called Fuhrer does with a mass movement can plainly be seen if we turn our eyes to the north or south of our country.  link
The white supremacist movement has just gone back to a dried riverbed, that Jung believed is part of all people's collective unconscious.  They are reacting to what they perceive as non-white, non-western european supremacist movement.  

I may not agree with their method, I may not relate to their modern sub-culture and its passions.  But I can understand why they behave as they do.  I find the psychology of it all absolutely fascinating.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 2:38:34 PM EDT
[#29]
My mind is not for rent.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 4:12:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Ahh! Ahh!
We come from the land
Of the ice and snow
From the midnight sun
Where the hot springs blow

[Verse 1]
The hammer of the gods
Will drive our ships to new lands
To fight the horde
Sing and cry
Valhalla, I am coming

[Hook]
On we sweep with threshing oar
Our only goal will be the western shore

[Chorus]
Ahh! Ahh!
We come from the land
Of the ice and snow
From the midnight sun
Where the hot springs blow

[Verse 2]
How soft your fields so green
Can whisper tales of gore
Of how we calmed the tides of war
We are your overlords

[Hook]
On we sweep with threshing oar
Our only goal will be the western shore

[Outro]
So now you'd better stop
And rebuild all your ruins
For peace and trust can win the day
Despite of all your losing

Immigrant Song - Led Zeppelin HQ (with lyrics)
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 4:30:56 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a friend who is ex SF, one of the first people into Afghanistan after 9/11. He is mostly agnostic but he has extensively studied the Norse Gods and makes many references to them. He has rune tattoos, Norse carvings in his home etc....
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 4:36:31 PM EDT
[#32]
My dogs have names that occur in the Icelandic Sagas
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 4:43:17 PM EDT
[#33]
King radbod, last pagan king of the frisians (dutch) was said to have told the catholic priests who came to convert him and his people to call down jesus from heaven so that he might fight him in single combat. If he came down and struck him down, his people would convert, if he didnt, radbod would have every priest killed and their new churches burnt. Long story short, jesus stayed where he was and catholicism was eradicated from friesland for a while.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 9:16:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
King radbod, last pagan king of the frisians (dutch) was said to have told the catholic priests who came to convert him and his people to call down jesus from heaven so that he might fight him in single combat. If he came down and struck him down, his people would convert, if he didnt, radbod would have every priest killed and their new churches burnt. Long story short, jesus stayed where he was and catholicism was eradicated from friesland for a while.
View Quote
Studying history is a real eye-opener.  Seeing how things get done is fascinating to me.  Christianity was a semitic cult that spread through europe, much as the new semitic cult Islam is starting to gain inroads into europe.  These are top-down movements, imposed by the ruling class.  The problem is Islam isn't adapting as Christianity did.  

It will be interesting to see if some of those dried-up riverbeds begin to fill once again, as Jung predicted.

Europeans are a fairly peaceful people, until they're not.  Then things can get bloody.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 11:02:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Tag to come back and answer later.
View Quote
@Shade

@Scare_Crow  @shade @wasp @Moochin @NorthPolar @BikerNut @Nameless_Hobo @verticalgain
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 11:56:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

@Shade

@Scare_Crow  @shade @wasp @Moochin @NorthPolar @BikerNut @Nameless_Hobo @verticalgain
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tag to come back and answer later.

@Shade

Link Posted: 8/4/2017 11:58:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Since it's late in the evening, why yes I do

As a kid a neighbor had a GS named Thor. His other GS was Tia
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 11:59:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I watched a couple seasons of vikings and liked it.. So kinda
View Quote
See, another one
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 12:01:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is shocking to many Christians who are not aware of the origin of these traditions.  Christianity, in order to convert many of the pagans of that time and that region, co-opted many of their traditions.  They then gave these traditions a Christian basis for their existence.

http://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/151/590x/secondary/Jesus-2-414199.jpg
Oh great, a pagan shows up
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 12:29:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

All the revivals are based on what limited information we have about the traditions, but overall it's a mixed bag.
View Quote
Yuuuup.  This is my problem with people thinking they're following some sacred ancient Germanic traditions now, because the Germanic people were illiterate.  Basically all of information we have on Germanic pagan customs and tradition is based on educated guesses or things written down after most of the Germanic peoples had been converted.  So I guess I'd be really pedantic and have no problem with people who say their religious beliefs are based on Germanic paganism, but kind of laugh at people who truly believe they are practicing any sort of "true" Germanic paganism.  

That said, OP is right that there are a lot of interesting traditions we have that are direct hold overs from Germanic tribes and their beliefs.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 7:14:28 AM EDT
[#41]
A lot of white inmates do, but it's usually an excuse to group up in the chapel.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 9:29:42 AM EDT
[#42]
The Norse gods fit into my worldview.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 9:45:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

@Shade

View Quote
I cannot speak for asatru/odinism/heathenry much beyond basic observations many here have already stated. Like many religions it has those with varying levels of devotion and differences in interpretations from what I have seen.

The overall pagan community does seem to share a more 'loose' organization in belief structure for certain. Much of which stems from sometimes wild differences from one text to the next in translation and or interpretation. When the traditions are passed from one generation to the next orally and only written down by third parties who tended to be monks with differing viewpoints and agendas it certainly can cause the entire thing to become convoluted. Then tack on translation issues way down the line.

Take for example the celtic goddess Morrígan.
Sometimes discribed as a singular being, and sometimes a group of beings, then toss in that said group differing from text to text the exact makeup to include any of Macha, Badb, Fea, Nemain, Anand, Brigid and so on. It drives reconstructionalists quite mad at times when trying to nail down specifics as they look over translation number 87 of the táin.

Really in the end though religion is quite personal and as such many folks end up with their own interpretion that suits them. The big box religions can stick to the strict regieme and that's fine.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 9:46:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Remember to thank Freya it's Freya's day this Freya'sday.
View Quote
My dog's name is Freyja
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 11:55:47 AM EDT
[#45]
I wanted to name my dog Gungnir, but the mrs hated the idea.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 12:30:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I cannot speak for asatru/odinism/heathenry much beyond basic observations many here have already stated. Like many religions it has those with varying levels of devotion and differences in interpretations from what I have seen.

The overall pagan community does seem to share a more 'loose' organization in belief structure for certain. Much of which stems from sometimes wild differences from one text to the next in translation and or interpretation. When the traditions are passed from one generation to the next orally and only written down by third parties who tended to be monks with differing viewpoints and agendas it certainly can cause the entire thing to become convoluted. Then tack on translation issues way down the line.

Take for example the celtic goddess Morrígan.
Sometimes discribed as a singular being, and sometimes a group of beings, then toss in that said group differing from text to text the exact makeup to include any of Macha, Badb, Fea, Nemain, Anand, Brigid and so on. It drives reconstructionalists quite mad at times when trying to nail down specifics as they look over translation number 87 of the táin.

Really in the end though religion is quite personal and as such many folks end up with their own interpretion that suits them. The big box religions can stick to the strict regieme and that's fine.
View Quote
It appears that many, if not most, religious people do the same.  

You have very strict fundamentalist that go by the letter of the Bible, believing in it's literal translation.  But the books of the Bible were written by different authors, and have been edited at different times, over many different centuries.   When you think about it, there is a surprisingly small fraction of the words in the Bible that can be attributed to Jesus.   Paul of Tarsus is probably the most influential Christian founder, and he never met Jesus in life.   The same could be said of the Jewish texts.  They where written by many different authors, over centuries.

We have different denominations and sects of Christianity, that are very different from one another.   The various branches of the Catholic denominations (e.g. Roman Catholic, Anglican, Eastern Orthodox)  and the thousands of different Protestant denominations, where the flavor of Christianity might even vary slightly from churches within there own denomination.  

Then of course you have many people who call themselves Christians that kind of pick and choose the tenets of their Christian sect, that they want to follow, or emphasize, and which aspects of their religion they want to ignore, remain ignorant about, and de-emphasize.    So Christianity is also a very personalized religion as well.  

But I don't mean to pick on Christians, you can say the same thing about all the major religions.  There are huge differences between Tibetan Buddhists, Pure land Buddhist, Nichiren Buddhism and Rinzai Zen Buddhist.    

You can say the same of all religions. I'm not sure that makes the neopagans different than the rest.  But I understand what you're saying, and appreciate your input, thanks.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 12:53:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
A lot of white inmates do, but it's usually an excuse to group up in the chapel.
View Quote
Yeah, I read an article that said a lot of prisoners self-identify as "Wotansvolk".  Which is a group founded by white separatist in the early 1990's.   One of it's founders, a man named David Lane died serving a 190 year sentence for terrorism.

Apparently this is where the 14 words came from, and I guess this is where at least some of the modern white supremacist neopagans get their inspiration from.  The article I read said that they had founded chapters in various prisons.  

So that's probably what you're talking about.  What exactly do they do in the Prison Chapel?
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 12:58:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Europeans had gods of strength and power. The archetypes of the european mind were "winners and warriors". The meek and peaceful god that appealed to the mind of the people in Palestine and people from eastern cultures didn't go over all too well in europe. It took their rulers to sell it, and then ultimately wipe out traditional archetypes.
View Quote
One of the things that have steered me toward GNP beliefs is christian structure and subservient doctrine (the time for Meek and Peaceful is over in my opinion). I have been a practicing christian of many faiths, catholic, lutheran, baptist, born again....even had a family I was close to that was mormon and I participated there as well. Found all of them lacking and missing something, it never appealed to my core....no idea why. GNP does for some reason.

Great discussion so far, glad to see we haven't gone off the cliff yet.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 12:59:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
my dobermans are named from old Norse Rán and Syn.

but mostly because i thought old norse names would be cool for them.
View Quote
Not Zeus and Apollo? 
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 1:16:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

One of the things that have steered me toward GNP beliefs is christian structure and subservient doctrine (the time for Meek and Peaceful is over in my opinion). I have been a practicing christian of many faiths, catholic, lutheran, baptist, born again....even had a family I was close to that was mormon and I participated there as well. Found all of them lacking and missing something, it never appealed to my core....no idea why. GNP does for some reason.

Great discussion so far, glad to see we haven't gone off the cliff yet.
View Quote
There's no reason for anyone to feel threatened by this discussion and drive it "off the cliff".  That's all it is.  I'm not promoting neopaganism or monotheism.  I'm curious about how religions are formed and expressed.  I got to this topic by exploring philosophy and then psychology, particularly Carl Jung.  

The thread on Stoicism was of particular interest to me.  It has been many years since I read the Meditations of Marcus Aurelius, but because of the Stoicism thread I read it again.  What struck me, is Marcus Aurelius expressed a sense of morality that is distinctly western.  And yet he was pagan.  You'll often hear people say that Western civilization is based on Judeo-Christian principles, but that isn't true.  

It's more likely that Judeo-Christian principles were based on western civilization.  

That lead me to read more about other western philosophers, which ultimately ran me aground on the psychologist Carl Jung, and some of his essays on archetypes, and the personal and collective unconscious of a people.  That lead me to try to understand more about the European archetypes expressed in their religions and mythologies.  Which I'm now reading more about.  

It's really quite interesting to me.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top