Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 6:04:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Ain't nobody tell me I can't own page two.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 6:05:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Ain't nobody tell me I can't own page two.

Ohh.... nicely done

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 6:16:16 PM EDT
[#3]
"For the Greater Good"

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 6:18:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes if it does not violate federal or state constitutions and done in a democratic manner.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 6:19:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 4:39:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 4:42:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I went to protest against an anti gun rally today. One of the speakers argued that it is only reasonable that a community should be able to decide that semi automatic firearms be declared illegal and taken away if the community decides that is to be. One of the pro gun group asked what right did the community have to make criminals out of some of it's members on a whim? His response was that they had the right because of the possibility that some one might do something detrimental to society.

He wants the community to go condo?
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 4:46:57 AM EDT
[#8]
you do not have the right to tell another human how to live.

slavery is dead
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 4:52:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Communities don't have rights.  

They only have powers.

Those powers are granted by the members of the community.

People have rights, but the only ones that are worthy of the name are the ones secured by the certainty of overwealming force.  

These days a lot of our rights are turning into privileges as we hand our public sector employees more powers to restrict our liberties.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 4:58:34 AM EDT
[#10]
By that logic, everybody is a criminal.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 5:08:41 AM EDT
[#11]

If at least 51% of the community thought that what he was
saying was dangerous to the community would it be reasonable to pass laws to
empower local authorities to silence him by force?

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 5:13:03 AM EDT
[#12]
This event was sponsored by the "New Trier Democratic Organization" if that tells you anything.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 5:14:56 AM EDT
[#13]
In no case, period, does any human being have a right to tell any other human being, what they can and cannot possess, the very idea is ridiculous and unnatural. But human nature being what it is, people are control freaks, and love nothing more than to tell other people what to do. This is ultimately why both Republican and Democrap parties are completely corrupt and harmful.

Control freaks can spew whatever BS they want to, I really don't pay much attention, i'll do as I please as long as it doesn't hurt other folks.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 5:15:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
No one has the right to infringe on a fundamental right. That said it happens everyday and rights are only as good as your ability to defend them.  

You better check again; Obama has been crapping on all of our fundamental rights and has been doing it for years...
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 5:17:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Alabama banned the sale and distribution of sex toys. Even conservatives have a problem with individual liberty from time to time.

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 5:26:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Well according to the Constitution, they can't infringe on a right without due process.  But hey, what does that matter?
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 5:29:12 AM EDT
[#17]
The very idea of a community is communist.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 5:37:20 AM EDT
[#18]
For a gun forum, we sure seem to have an abundance of Constitutional law scholars...

Does a community have the right power to tell some one what they can own or not own?

The short answer to the question is generally, yes.  Government organizations (at all levels, but especially local) tell people what they can and cannot own or do all the time.  You want to erect (pun intended) a 100' tall penis statute in your front yard?  The city will probably make you take it down.  You want to make a DIY bomb factory in your garage?  All sorts of people will tell you that's not okay.  You want to start a free range rattlesnake farm next to a preschool?  The gov't is probably going to tell you that you can't own that (at least not in that location).  

At a very rough conceptual level, the government can exercise its police power granted to it by the people through the democratic process to make you do or not do all sorts of stuff.  The limits on this police power are (1) Constitutional rights and (2) the democratic process.  The government can't take away your rights to free speech or lock you up without reason because those are protected Constitutional rights.  For pretty much everything else, if people don't like what the government is doing, they can use the democratic process to address the issue.

Now, as to the questions of what is actually a protected constitutional right and how well the democratic process actually works...
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top