BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 8:55:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
And no you are correct the Bible doesn't say the Earth was flat, the Church said that. And the Church's view on things (ie Religion) changes time and time again. See the Church is forced to "interpret" the Bible because the Bible is painfully vague on details and frequently contradictory.
View Quote

IIRC, the "flat earth" thing came from a passage in the Bible where it says Joshua commanded the sun to stand still in the heavens so he would have more time to slaughter the enemy. (For the sake of brevity, we won't discuss how holy it is to request God to give you more time to kill your enemies.) IIRC, the Bible then states that the sun did stand still in the heavens. Note that it said the sun stood still, not the earth stopped spinning. Taking the Bible literally, as all these good religious folks are wont to do, that naturally means the sun goes around the earth.

That conclusion, of course, was bound to come into conflict with science as science developed. And, of course, there are still people to this day who believe that the earth is flat based on that.

But none of that addresses my original question, either. Whether you believe the Bible or not, and whether you believe it literally or not, there are obviously some parts of it that can be confirmed through digging in the dirt. That's a fact, recognized by scholars of all varieties of belief, whether they believe the Bible's religious message or not.

Is there any similar evidence to support the BoM?

So far, I have heard from a lot of people, even some Mormons, but no one has answered the original question. Am I to assume that there is no evidence to support the BoM at all? Would any of you Mormons, or people who know the Mormon religion better than I do, care to actually answer the original question?

(Please note that your opinion of me -- good, bad, or indifferent -- has no bearing on the question or its answer.)
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 9:00:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
No. Archaeological evidence does not support the BOM.
View Quote

That's my general impression, too, but there are people who know more than me, and some who have claimed there is. Your statement may be correct, but it is hard to prove a negative. In all fairness to the other point of view, there could have been something discovered recently which says "The Mormons landed here." If so, I would like to hear about it.

Once again, if any of those folks are interested in bringing it out, I would honestly love to see it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 9:18:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
ETH,

I think the point (not well made) of the thread is the lack of [b][red]any[/b][/red] archaeological evidence relating to the BofM, as opposed to the Bible.
View Quote

Give the man a kewpie doll. He got it right. Thanks for the help.

The Old Testament speaks of the Egyptians having Hebrew slaves under Ramses.  Archaeologists have found inscriptions on monuments from Ramses' time that talk about having Hebrew slaves.
View Quote

As near as I have heard, there is no such evidence. I could be wrong, but that's what I have consistently heard.

The recent James osuary with the Aramaic inscription "James, son of Joseph, brother of Jesus.  That's my take on it.
View Quote

I, along with most scholars I have read about, would take that as interesting but not conclusive about anything. Those were common names and it could have been another family. Also, even if it was that family, it would indicate they existed, not what their role in society might have been. (It also makes me wonder what it must have been like growing up with your big brother as the Messiah, but never mind.)

As for Mormons being good people, that's undisputed.
View Quote

I wouldn't dispute that, either. The vast majority of Mormons that I have met are good people. Like with every other group, there were some that weren't. They wouldn't be the first people I would invite to an all-night party, and I find their lifestyle a little odd at times but, by and large, they are good people.

Link Posted: 5/3/2003 11:23:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Guys, this is the only post for me on this topic. I have read responses on two separate discussions, both appear to me to inflame and bash a religion, not ask legitimate questions. I have read good comments on Mormons and outrageous comments on Mormons.

[red]At least two other discussions were started by spectre on the GD board, both in reference to the topic "what's up with Mormons are they whacko?", or something to that effect.

Reposes to Spectres post included, "What's a matter, are your sacred panties in a knot?" Spectre correct me if I am wrong, but the purpose of these post was to illustrate the stupidity of asking an inflaming question about a person religion.[/red]

Everyone here think about this, if I slammed your church and called you a whacko or cultist or heathen, you would be pissed and attack me. Those who do not believe in God or a higher power, if I called you a sinner and told you that you were going to hell, you would attack me back and say those are my beliefs and that you are doing just fine.

You know what, belive in God or don't believe in God. Believe in Christ don't believe in Christ, whether you are a Fundamentalist, Catholic, Methodist, Jew, Dance with snakes, or don't believe anything, that's fine that's your right as guaranteed by the constitution.

Why are we bashing each others religion on a board that we come to to learn about the AR15. You know what, you want to learn about each others religion, go to your neighbors or their church leaders. Why would you want to learn about a persons belief from a board that has members located around the world.

Sean(I am a convert to the LDS faith, but do not care how you worship)Vanover
View Quote

You are spot on Sean !!  And a well stated post.
As I said before, religions, ALL RELIGIONS, rely on the faith of the individual to believe in a higher power. NO RELIGION can PROVE 100% that theirs is the one and only and that their particular deity ACTUALLY EXISTS !!
The only people who know for sure aren't talking....they're dead.
So like I said before, whatever religion you choose, great, good for you and enjoy it, but how about you spend your time learning and studying YOUR RELIGION and quit wasting your time trying to tear down someone elses.
That would be time well spent. I see all these people and websites mentioned here whose only goal in life is to tear down a particular religion. I pity these people if thats all they have to do in their pathetic lives.
As for you wolfy, I was pretty sure you were either an atheist or agnostic. It's always easier to believe in nothing than to believe in something.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 12:24:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Guys, this is the only post for me on this topic. I have read responses on two separate discussions, both appear to me to inflame and bash a religion, not ask legitimate questions. I have read good comments on Mormons and outrageous comments on Mormons.

[red]At least two other discussions were started by spectre on the GD board, both in reference to the topic "what's up with Mormons are they whacko?", or something to that effect.

Reposes to Spectres post included, "What's a matter, are your sacred panties in a knot?" Spectre correct me if I am wrong, but the purpose of these post was to illustrate the stupidity of asking an inflaming question about a person religion.[/red]

Everyone here think about this, if I slammed your church and called you a whacko or cultist or heathen, you would be pissed and attack me. Those who do not believe in God or a higher power, if I called you a sinner and told you that you were going to hell, you would attack me back and say those are my beliefs and that you are doing just fine.

You know what, belive in God or don't believe in God. Believe in Christ don't believe in Christ, whether you are a Fundamentalist, Catholic, Methodist, Jew, Dance with snakes, or don't believe anything, that's fine that's your right as guaranteed by the constitution.

Why are we bashing each others religion on a board that we come to to learn about the AR15. You know what, you want to learn about each others religion, go to your neighbors or their church leaders. Why would you want to learn about a persons belief from a board that has members located around the world.

Sean(I am a convert to the LDS faith, but do not care how you worship)Vanover
View Quote

You are spot on Sean !!  And a well stated post.
As I said before, religions, ALL RELIGIONS, rely on the faith of the individual to believe in a higher power. NO RELIGION can PROVE 100% that theirs is the one and only and that their particular deity ACTUALLY EXISTS !!
The only people who know for sure aren't talking....they're dead.
So like I said before, whatever religion you choose, great, good for you and enjoy it, but how about you spend your time learning and studying YOUR RELIGION and quit wasting your time trying to tear down someone elses.
That would be time well spent. I see all these people and websites mentioned here whose only goal in life is to tear down a particular religion. I pity these people if thats all they have to do in their pathetic lives.
As for you wolfy, I was pretty sure you were either an atheist or agnostic. It's always easier to believe in nothing than to believe in something.
View Quote

Well, I just stated that I don't especially believe the Bible as written, either, but I recognize that there is good scientific evidence to support some of the events. Get the distinction there?

As for believing in nothing as opposed to believe in something, you got that wrong, too, and your saying so in itself illustrates a problem with your view of religion.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 12:35:45 PM EDT
[#6]
NO RELIGION can PROVE 100% that theirs is the one and only and that their particular deity ACTUALLY EXISTS !!
View Quote

Just for the record, from my own purely unscientific observations, I would say that most atheists and agnostics would agree with that statement, but most religious people would not. Religious folk tend to believe that they and their relatively few friends (in terms of overall world population) are the only ones chosen to go to heaven and everyone else is going to Hell. And, the reason that they think they are going to heaven where others aren't, is often based on things that aren't at all central to the primary points of the religion. In other words, you can say you believe in Jesus, but if you don't believe such-and-such a passage in the way they construe it, then you are bound for Hell, despite your professed belief in Jesus.

By those standards, it always seemed to me that Heaven must be a pretty lonely, dull place.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 1:05:14 PM EDT
[#7]
wolfman97,

I am in total agreeing with you on the topic of religion, and on whether or not there is little to no archeological evidence of the BoM.

This is coming from a guy raised Mormon for 17 years and most of my immediate family still is (albeit they are drifting away more and more. . .).

I think the reason most people can't or won't answer your questions is because of they way they are asked. Your attitude is a little demeaning. You have to realize that you'll never convince most of the outspoken religious here. Nothing you can say will change their minds, and the reverse is true also.

Religion is a VERY personal decision to make.

- Matt
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 1:14:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Are you actually suggesting some religions have NOT evolved over the years to keep up with Science? Earth was flat ring a bell? How about the Earth is the center of the universe?
View Quote

Where does it say that in the bible?  Nowhere in mine.  You are naming two beliefs that happened to be held by some medieval catholics.  Jesus never taught it.

As for Science (proven facts), what was science 2,000 years ago is true today. Now there were scientific "theories" aka "best guesses based upon the evidence of the time (not to mention limitations imposed by the Church - Galileo anyone?)" that turned out to be in error.
View Quote

As you say, those limitations were put in place by the catholic church, an earthly organization that has stuck its nose in business that has nothing to do with Jesus Christ on too many occasions, and been wrong in many of them.  That is one of many reasons I am not a catholic.  If you study the history of the whole Galileo affair, you will see that he was persecuted because of [i]church politics[/i] not doctrine.  The jesuits were rising at the time, and the actual problem amounted to, "if we are not the center of the universe, then all those other stars could have planets too--who is pope there!?"
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 1:20:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are you actually suggesting some religions have NOT evolved over the years to keep up with Science? Earth was flat ring a bell? How about the Earth is the center of the universe?
View Quote

Where does it say that in the bible?  Nowhere in mine.  You are naming two beliefs that happened to be held by some medieval catholics.  Jesus never taught it.

As for Science (proven facts), what was science 2,000 years ago is true today. Now there were scientific "theories" aka "best guesses based upon the evidence of the time (not to mention limitations imposed by the Church - Galileo anyone?)" that turned out to be in error.
View Quote

As you say, those limitations were put in place by the catholic church, an earthly organization that has stuck its nose in business that has nothing to do with Jesus Christ on too many occasions, and been wrong in many of them.  That is one of many reasons I am not a catholic.  If you study the history of the whole Galileo affair, you will see that he was persecuted because of [i]church politics[/i] not doctrine.  The jesuits were rising at the time, and the actual problem amounted to, "if we are not the center of the universe, then all those other stars could have planets too--who is pope there!?"
View Quote
View Quote

The short and sweet: I said "religions" and that includes the teachings of the Church.

Specifically Jesus never really said anything relating directly to science.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 1:23:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I'll admit to the fact that I didn't read a lot of this thread. In fact, I skipped quite a bit. But if anyone is wondering whether we believe in Jesus or not, just look at the full name of the church, "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints." That should give an anwswer to most people. [:)] By the way, I'm a "Mormon," and not afraid of others knowing. I believe in the church enough that nobody can change my mind, no matter how much garbage you care to throw at me. I also respect others' choices concerning religion (and everything else). So please don't feel I'm "out to convert you" or anything. [ROFL] Funny how we're always in the limelight, though.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 1:25:39 PM EDT
[#11]
My mother and 1 of my brothers are mormons, most of my friends and neighbors are mormons.  You will not find better people, on the whole, than mormons.
Archaeological evidence supporting the BOM has never been found.  No coin mentioned in the BOM has ever been found.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 1:38:01 PM EDT
[#12]
If [b]We[/b], and yes that includes me, are so wrong why are you so worried about it?  Why not let us continue our own "fanciful" way and find something else to complain about?  Not once have I gone to a Mormon Church gathering and heard them say one bad thing about any other religion.  No Catholics this, or Protestants that.  Sounds almost God like doesn't it?

The only reason I could think of that would make anyone so against my religion is that they see some kind of truth in it and they are afraid.  I really do not care if you believe what I believe.  Nor should you care if I believe what you believe.

I challenge anyone here to read the book of Mormon from cover to cover and to pray each time before they do it and ask if what they are reading is true.  Once you've done that come back and post.  If you would like a copy please let me know and I will get you one free of charge.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 1:39:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sure, [b]Red_Beard[/b], they believe in [b]Jesus Christ[/b], do they not?
View Quote

from what I can gather it seems to be a different Jesus Christ than the one I read about in the Bible

View Quote

Not quite, would you tell me more about what I believe?
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 1:41:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Or next time you stay in a hotel, you can just steal one! [:D]

I might just pick up a copy and read it. I don't pray well though, so it might not "take"
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 1:47:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Or next time you stay in a hotel, you can just steal one! [:D]

I might just pick up a copy and read it. I don't pray well though, so it might not "take"
View Quote

Dont worry, no prayer classes are required for this one.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 12:26:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
ETH,

I think the point (not well made) of the thread is the lack of [b][red]any[/b][/red] archaeological evidence relating to the BofM, as opposed to the Bible.
View Quote

Give the man a kewpie doll. He got it right. Thanks for the help.
View Quote

The Old Testament speaks of the Egyptians having Hebrew slaves under Ramses.  Archaeologists have found inscriptions on monuments from Ramses' time that talk about having Hebrew slaves.
View Quote

As near as I have heard, there is no such evidence. I could be wrong, but that's what I have consistently heard.
View Quote

[blue]Egyptologist Dr. Bob Brier, History and/or Learning Channel[/blue]

The recent James osuary with the Aramaic inscription "James, son of Joseph, brother of Jesus.  That's my take on it.
View Quote

I, along with most scholars I have read about, would take that as interesting but not conclusive about anything. Those were common names and it could have been another family. Also, even if it was that family, it would indicate they existed, not what their role in society might have been. (It also makes me wonder what it must have been like growing up with your big brother as the Messiah, but never mind.)  
View Quote

[blue]Discovery Channel.  The archaeologists narrowed the possiblities of families who could afford an osuary (only a custom around the time of Jesus) then to families who could afford to have the inscription done, then to families with Jesus being the brother of James, and Joseph being the father of Jesus and James. I believe only two, at most three families could possibly have met all the criteria.  Don't flame me for saying Joseph was Jesus' dad.
[/blue]
 As for Mormons being good people, that's undisputed.
View Quote

I wouldn't dispute that, either. The vast majority of Mormons that I have met are good people. Like with every other group, there were some that weren't. They wouldn't be the first people I would invite to an all-night party, and I find their lifestyle a little odd at times but, by and large, they are good people.

View Quote

TS
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 5:11:22 AM EDT
[#17]
At least the Mormons aren't Yaweh's Witnesses.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 5:31:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Post from SteyrAUG -
What a statement. A mans life work, one of the most important discoveries of his time, and he is forced to recant it and renounce his work by the Church. Yeah I can't see how that would have bothered him a bit. But to give you some pespective, what if the same thing had been done to Paul? Would that have been ok?
View Quote

Yeah, Galileo certainly had his reputation ruined by the Catholic Church didn't he!!??

Do you remember the name of the Pope at the time of his trial?

Do you recall the name of his chief accuser and the Chief Prosecutor at his trial?

Nope??

Yeah, so much for trying to ruin Galileo's reputation.

And why mention St. Paul? His example does your take on the whole matter no good at all.

[b]St. Paul was imprisoned for several years and then beheaded by the civil government of Rome around 64 AD.[/b]

Did [u]that[/u] do his 'reputation' any good?

BTW, quit confusing the Roman Catholic Church with 'Christianity' as a whole.

There's more to Christianity than what emanates from the Bishop of Rome.

Eric The(Fundamentalist)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 6:48:43 AM EDT
[#19]
thanks for the link eric. i had not been reminded of that incident in over 25 years.

as i stated in the previous post, folks ran the mormons out of of ohio...guess they had some pretty good reasons to do so.

[b]Archaeological evidence supporting mormonism has never been found.[/b]

i'm quite sure a dig of the massacre site would unearth tons of evidence of the effects of mormonism, as practiced in that time period. no coins...just lots of lead.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 7:19:08 AM EDT
[#20]
"Yeah, so was the Mountain Meadows Massacre.

And the hands of the Prophet were blood red, and his fingerptints all over this outrage.

Look it up."

Eric The(Historical)Hun

This is really funny. The Mountain Meadows Massacre was nothing to be proud of for sure, but lets look at what happened for years leading up to it.
The Mormons had been persicuted everywhere they went. Why? because they were differant. The Gov. of Mo. Lilian Boggs, had issued an extermination order. Yes, he wanted them out, and it was open season on Mormons. Sounds rather unconstitutional to me.
They had built a beautiful city out of a swamp along the Mississippi in Illinois. What did they get for their efforts? They were forced out at gun point in winter. Their city burned, their Temple burned, everything that they had worked for gone.
I'm guessing that this may have caused some frustration and resentment, what do you think?
So, when we, yes I'm Mormon, did something wrong, it was in an atmosphere of fear and distrust.
The trip to Utah was to get away from the U.S. Government that refused to offer the protection that the Constitution lays out. Feeling that nobody wanted barren Utah, it was felt that we would be safe there. I had relatives who died on the way there.
I don't care what others believe, nor do the rest of us. We just want the freedom to worship God in the manner that we feel is correct.      
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 9:42:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

As I stated earlier, I think it comes from the passage where Joshua asks for more time to slay his enemies (!!!!) and then the Bible states that the "sun stood still" (or words to that effect). Naturally, if the sun stands still -- the sun being the object that is moving -- then the sun goes around the earth.

Religiously speaking, there are two possibilities here. Either the sun goes around the earth, or the words of the Bible require a little interpretation -- that is, what the  author meant to say was "the sun [b]seemed[/b] to stand still."

The scientific facts become accepted over time but, of course, you all know what happens when you start allowing people to interpret the Bible. The meaning changes and it isn't the absolute truth anymore.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 9:48:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Tigerstripe, thanks for the info. I will look for any shows on the subject just to check into those points. As I said, my understanding of the Jews in Egypt was that there was no evidence, and that scholars had come to the conclusion that the Exodus never happened as a result. I don't know if what you have mentioned would be enough to change that basic conclusion.

As for the ossuary, I kinda wonder how they estimated who could afford ossuaries and make a determination whether Jesus' family would fit into that category. The story I have always heard is that Jesus was from a pretty poor family. The picture that has always been portrayed to me (admittedly, that's a lot of Christian folklore in there) was that Jesus' beginnings were too humble for that sort of thing.

But thanks for the info, and I will look for the items on TV.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 12:23:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 12:28:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Cult.

The Govt. even went after them for a reason.

Cult.

Link Posted: 5/4/2003 1:00:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Interestly enough The Mountain Meadow Massacre was on 9-11.

One strong point for the Book of Mormon is that archeology shows that the civilization originated in the south and moved northward.

Why would a group migrate across the bearing strait, travel down the monterey pennisula and onto central America?

Maybe they didn't like the taxes or 600 yard par 5's.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 1:14:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
As I stated earlier, I think it comes from the passage where Joshua asks for more time to slay his enemies (!!!!) and then the Bible states that the "sun stood still" (or words to that effect). Naturally, if the sun stands still -- the sun being the object that is moving -- then the sun goes around the earth.
View Quote

Oh come on, that's quite a stretch.  You accuse theologians of making weak arguments (and many do) but you seem to be doing the same thing.

This question arose in another thread a while back, and all I can say is that it is physically acceptable to say what the bible says.  People almost always speak from the perspective of their own reference system.  Saying the sun moves around the earth is [i]perfectly acceptable[/i] as long as you are viewing things from the earth.  The physics changes quite a bit (see Chapter 5, "Noninertial reference systems" in [b]Analytical Mechanics[/b] by Fowles and Cassidy), but it is physically accurate to say things as the bible did.  I am a physics student that had to make these calculations far too often last semester.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 7:38:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
As I said, my understanding of the Jews in Egypt was that there was no evidence, and that scholars had come to the conclusion that the Exodus never happened as a result.
View Quote

[blue] Specifically, the monument declared all the nations that had been conquered under Ramses' reign.  All the nations that were listed as kingdoms had a hieroglyph representing  a homeland.  Only one did not have the hieroglyph and it was pronounced something like Habra or Habrao[/blue]

As for the ossuary, I kinda wonder how they estimated who could afford ossuaries and make a determination whether Jesus' family would fit into that category. The story I have always heard is that Jesus was from a pretty poor family. The picture that has always been portrayed to me (admittedly, that's a lot of Christian folklore in there) was that Jesus' beginnings were too humble for that sort of thing.
View Quote

[blue] At the time of Jesus death his family was larger and wealthier than at the time of his birth.  Jesus had wealthy believers or patrons at the time of his death as well.  Joseph of Arimithea arranged so that Jesus be buried in a sepulcre, which was very unusual and expensive at that time.  Also keep in mind that James had built the early church considerably after Jesus' death and it(Christianity) was considered a sect of Judaism by that period.  The audience that Jesus had sought to reach out to, the poor, the sick and outcasts was not the only audience that the church reached at the times of James' death.[/blue]

Just some ideas (and facts) to consider.

TS
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 8:13:29 PM EDT
[#28]
It's a load of shit.  Just like the rest of them. It takes a real man to face his own mortality.  God, I hope I'm right...
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 9:33:33 PM EDT
[#29]
I asked my archaeology teacher if there was any scientific proof that supports the Book of Mormon.  This was 10 or 12 years ago, so take that for what it is worth.  He said he really likes Mormons because they spent a lot of money on archaeology, but they haven’t found any evidence to support the BoM.  

As I read the thread, I found someone asking why the government would attack Mormons?  I offer another reason besides “cult”.  The Mormons were politically active and usually discussed and voted the same way.  This made the Mormons a very important voting block. Those that didn’t like this demonized and attacked the Mormons.   It was all about political power.

The Mormons didn’t get the idea of polygamy from the BoM.  They got it from the Old Testament.

I am not Mormon and I don’t particularly like the Mormon faith, but when you hear people running on at the mouth about tolerance and religious freedoms in the United States, remind them of the Mormons and how they were hunted and driven because of their religion.

As far as I am concerned, the Mormons can do any damn thing they want out in Utah, they have earned it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:00:24 AM EDT
[#30]
From the Book of Mormon: (for all you multiple wives bashers)

BTW I am not a Mormon but do believe in it. I belong to the Restoration. We believe in the Church restored in 1830.

We are not affiliated with the Mormons nor the RLDS (now called the Community of Christ)

[b]Jacob 2:33-36[/b]

33 Behold, David and Solomon truly had many wives, and concubines, which thing was abominable before me, saith the Lord,

34 Wherefore, thus saith the Lord, I have led this people forth out of the land of Jerusalem, by the power of mine arm, that I might raise up unto me a righteous branch from the fruit of the loins of Joseph.

35 Wherefore, I, the Lord God, will not suffer that this people shall do like unto them of old.

36 Wherefore, my brethren, hear me, and hearken to the word of the Lord: For there shall not any man among you have save it be one wife; and concubines he shall have none: For I, the Lord God, delighteth in the chastity of women.

[b] No multiple wives[/b] What some did was follow certain 'leaders' into sin.

Also for you 'magic glasses' people...

They existed in the bible too...

Exodus 28:30
Nehemiah 7:65
Leviticus 8:8
Deuteronomy 33:8
Ezra 2:63

As far as "are the Mormons Christians?" ...

[b]John 3:16[/b] For God so loved the world, that he gave his Only Begotten Son, that [b]whosoever believeth[/b] on him should not perish; but have everlasting life.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 10:18:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh come on, that's quite a stretch.  You accuse theologians of making weak arguments (and many do) but you seem to be doing the same thing.

This question arose in another thread a while back, and all I can say is that it is physically acceptable to say what the bible says.  People almost always speak from the perspective of their own reference system.  Saying the sun moves around the earth is [i]perfectly acceptable[/i] as long as you are viewing things from the earth.  The physics changes quite a bit (see Chapter 5, "Noninertial reference systems" in [b]Analytical Mechanics[/b] by Fowles and Cassidy), but it is physically accurate to say things as the bible did.  I am a physics student that had to make these calculations far too often last semester.
View Quote

If it is a stretch, then your issue is with the Catholic church and others that stated (still state, in some cases?) that this is the interpretation. I didn't say I believed it. I said that was THEIR reasoning.

If you think that reasoning is silly, then join the club.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top