Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 4:08:37 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

1. Take an insulin needle and suck out the juice.

2. Inject tincture of benzoin into the site.

3. Remind yourself it's not an ACTUAL lit cigar being pressed into your foot.

4. Run like you used to.

Wtf is tincture of benzoin?

It's a surgical adhesive. The legit way to use it is to brush it onto your feet and tape them. THere is a bond from your skin to the tape. The subversive, no-one-would-actually-say-they-do-it-that-way is to drain a blister adn inject a little bit of the benzoin back into the void. It adheres the inner skin of the blister back to your foot. IT BURNS BAD, like I said, like a lit cigar....

I've used it, done it once to myself and countless times to Marines in my unit. It gets them back up and humping. The Batt. surgeon had me do a LARGE blister on a Warrant Officers foot, he humpes the next day, no prob.

I've used duct tape to tape my feet too, that worked well too.

Seriously reconsider your footwear and sock choice though. The first few distace humps I did blistered my feet to shit, I got Thorlo socks and some new boots and didn't need to tape my feet again. Avoid cotton socks, they don't wick moisture away from the foot, wool socks(not coarse) are best.

The pic you posted doesn't look like it has filled with fluid(dry blister) yet, pics can be deceiving, but the best way would be to build a little moleskin donut around it so it's not the point of impact, the moleskin is. The second skin stuff works like a charm, total home run, I used those too.

Shin splints suck ass.

The Tincture stuff is true, but I wouldn't suggest it if you have reoccuring blisters. Definitely do not use duct tape! You should go see your doctor about your feet. It is possible, maybe, that you have cellulitis. It's just not responsible to say that from a picture over the internet.  Ask the doc about the foot wrapping. There are other things that can help with shin splints. You shouldn't have to live with blisters.  There is a foot covering called second skin? I think? That is a gel filled covering that prevents blisters, and it's supposed to feel REALLY good on sore feet, and prevent/sooth blisters.  It was originally developed for burn victims. Moleskin would work well too.  
For the shin splints, I used to have my Joes buy a rolling pin. They would take it on ruck marches with them.  When your shins hurt you roll the pin down that muscle next to your tibia(shin), the anterior tibialis as firmly as you can stand. It hurts sooo good. It really helped a couple guys I know.
Bottom line. See a doc. Take care of yourself.  Don't get medical advice off the internet.

Oh, let the doc do all the procedures to your foot. Don't do it at home just because of the risk of infection. If one were to actually try and drain blisters like yours, one might open a half inch or so hole near the outer edge of the blister with a sterile instrument. Small holes seal themselves, and don't stay drained. Strings in the wound can lead to infection.

It's frustrating to read this because I've treated more feet than I can remember. I wish I could do more to help, but I'm not Doc anymore.

Good luck on your race.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 4:10:11 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Well I got nothin'  

Just to sound really stupid  ... are you SURE it's a blister?  Could it perhaps be some kind of bruise that you somehow got?

+1  
Once I got what I thought was a blister on a finger.  Poked it with a needle, no go.  Got more aggressive & used a X-acto knife (doused with peroxide) to hack it open.  No pus at all so I continued down into the meat....turns out it wasn't a blister at all.  Infected cuticle...d'oh!  
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 4:20:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Hmmmm well could be the start of a callous(sp?)

You want to see some ugly fet, hold a bit, I will show you some ugly feet, MINE....

Now where is the camera?

Naaaa, I changed my mind, I dont think your eyes could handle the horror......
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 4:30:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Since we are all having a 'Who's got the biggest dick' contest, just so you know I once marched 10k with a broken bone in my right foot, then spent an additional two days on it before I went on sick call and got fitted for a cast from toes to knee.

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 4:35:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Since we are all having a 'Who's got the biggest dick' contest, just so you know I once marched 10k with a broken bone in my right foot, then spent an additional two days on it before I went on sick call and got fitted for a cast from toes to knee.

Yeah, well one of the GIRLS my coach had a few years back ran in a meet with a stress fracture.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 5:05:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Seriously, if it's painful, possibly infected, and you aren't completely sure what your diagnosis is, is the track meet that much more important than your health?

Maybe it's absolutely nothing, but what if it is something and you make it worse by running on it instead of getting it taken care of? Having school spirit and wanting to be there for your team is commendable, but you need to use that foot the rest of your life.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 5:06:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, well one of the GIRLS my coach had a few years back ran in a meet with a stress fracture.

Your coach "had" one of his girls?

Jeez
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 5:08:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Seriously, if it's painful, possibly infected, and you aren't completely sure what your diagnosis is, is the track meet that much more important than your health?

Maybe it's absolutely nothing, but what if it is something and you make it worse by running on it instead of getting it taken care of? Having school spirit and wanting to be there for your team is commendable, but you need to use that foot the rest of your life.

You should have read the whole thread - I said that the meet was Saturday morning (today) and that I'd already ran.

My foot wasn't warm in the morning.

It hurt a lot after the meet but it isn't real warm any more. I think the triple antibiotic took care of me, along with a night's rest.

It's not that huge of a deal.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 5:20:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I get those blisters all the time only not on my foot but in another(speshul place). The best treatment I have found is an old cherokee indian remedy where you put the blistered area into a pile of animal poo...dogs are good. Let the area baste for a half hour at least then wash off. The amino acids in the poo will neautralize the blisters ginving you a soothing sensation. Avoid doberman poo. Repeat as necessary amd thank me later
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 5:22:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Sniper_Wolfe, the above comment was not directed at you personally.

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 5:25:16 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

That's fine.

I was amazed that a girl was able to run a whole freakin 5k with a stress fracture. I thought it was kind of interesting. It's also not terribly uncommon for runners to black out.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:25:59 PM EDT
[#12]
1) take one sterile needle, insert into blister and drain fluid.
2) using another needle, inject tincture of benzoine...be advised, THIS IS GONNA HURT ! ! ! !
3) lightly smear additional benzoine around the blister and apply a thin layer of cotton batton...pulled thin to resemble the fake cob webs you rig around the front door at Halloween. Press the cotton into the benzoine soaked blister area.
4) repeat this external application 2-3 times. Voila ... Man-made callous !!!!!

Combat Medic

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:05:09 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's fine.

I was amazed that a girl was able to run a whole freakin 5k with a stress fracture. I thought it was kind of interesting. It's also not terribly uncommon for runners to black out.

I think that I got a stress fracture which developed during the week prior to our 10k road march.  Then, two days before the march, we ran the PT test, which includes the 2 mile run.  Throughout the run my foot was absolutely killing me, to the point that I nearly had tears in my eyes.  I was convinced that when I took off my shoe, it would be filled with blood.  However, quitting was not an option, and I completed the run in 17:41 - pretty decent considering the circumstances, but still a failing score.  I limped around a little for the next couple of days, but keeping off the foot seemed to help.  Then, during the road march, I was once again in serious pain.  I fell to the absolute back of the line, which consisted of an entire battalion, and was about 1/4 mile long.  I only completed the march by continuing to walk when everyone else was taking a water break on the side of the road, and by the time they got up, I was at the head of the formation again.

When I went to the medical clinic the next day, the medics showed me my X-ray, which clearly showed I had a clean break of the 2nd Metatarsil (sp?).  I got fitted for a cast for the next four weeks, and was forced to repeat Basic in its entirety, staying in my Basic Training battery for four and a half months, instead of two.  It really REALLY sucked at the time, but toughened me up so that now I can appreciate the extra time I put in there.

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:18:24 AM EDT
[#14]
ok, I gotta ask...  of the 75 blisters how many were really on your feet???

dont' lie to us Arf.com-ers...  most of those blisters were a bit north in elevation than your feet...

FMO
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:33:24 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Don't be a pussy--take an Exacto Knife--or Dremel tool--and remove the skin covering it.  Spray a little brake cleaner on it to disinfect it, then go run.  Geez, kids are soft these days.  

In my day we were too tough to get blisters.  We had to walk ten miles to school--uphill both ways--after we milked the whole herd of 200 cranky cows.  We're doomed--who's gonna pay my Social Security?  

Edit:  And NO MORE POSTING PICS OF FEET!!!  

There's a word I'm looking for...

...ah, yes, "crotchety", that's it.  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top