Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:20:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Interesting.

I got rather "pissy" in a thread last week about the Social Security benefits I was NEVER going to see, even though I will have paid in HALF A MILLION FUCKING DOLLARS at retirement time, and everyone seemed to just say- "Oh well, too fucking bad for you". "Everybody knows Social Security won't be around so we should just kill it now so I don't have to pay into it and Fuck You very much...."

How are ANY federal pensions different-Military, Park Service, Judges, Mail Carriers.....? Hell, they don't even have a special "tax" that supports them! If I can't expect to be paid- with what I've paid in.....I don't have alot of sympathy. Having said that, when somebody signs up for a specific "deal".....that "deal" should be honored and I don't care who you are. If part of the consideration for doing something is "X"....then the parties, especially a Government better make damn sure they deliver on "x".
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:21:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Any data on the percentage of small business owners that are military retirees?  The guaranteed pension income and health bennies seem like they're a great foundation if you're starting a business.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:24:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kill welfare, and funnel 25% of the left over money to DoD benefits.

By welfare, do you mean tanif, or wic, or what?

I mean any type of compensation that you receive from the government for nothing more than occupying space inside of our borders.  Tuition assistance, HUD assistance, bailouts, mortgage assistance, etc.  I do not care for WIC, but it is a little more understandable, and a little easier for me to swallow.

When I said welfare, I meant welfare.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:26:53 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I was under the impression that the military retiree only gets his check at 55 y/o  and not at the time he retires.  This would mean 55 + 40=95 for all of them.  Disability does not count, you are paying them because their service broke them (we will ignore the rampant abuse of this for the purposes of THIS discussion).

Now, I understand not wanting to pay them at 55 y/o when the rest of the country gets theirs at 68 y/o.  No problem.  Don't try and tell me you are going to bend me over because YOU are jealous.
True for NG and Reserves, but AD get retirement pay when they retire.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:52:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Spend the majority of your physically-able lifetime doing a job that breaks your body, uses socialized healthcare and then leaves you with nothing at the end?

With an all-volunteer force, you're going to watch the senior enlisted ranks shrivel and die with a lack of incentive to remain in-service.

I'm interested in how many responses included the comparison to welfare programs.  

The government is willing to spend a lot of money in funding citizens who contribute very little (if anything), and then take aim at folks who volunteer to put up with a difficult lifestyle for a majority of their useful lives.

Next stop; dogs and cats living together, human sacrifice, mass hysteria.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:58:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like a fast track way to bring back the draft.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:22:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Of all the .gov employees who's pay and benefits we should be slashing, soldiers are pretty much at the bottom of the list.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:32:50 AM EDT
[#8]
hell the way the VA was run and denying benefits or just stalling until the vet dies was enough for me to realize the "promise" was already broken.

I served 9 years mostly reserve time and got out.   It was just one factor weighting on the scales of my decision making.  

Very few regrets.  I do miss some of the aspects of military service.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:42:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Interesting.

I got rather "pissy" in a thread last week about the Social Security benefits I was NEVER going to see, even though I will have paid in HALF A MILLION FUCKING DOLLARS at retirement time, and everyone seemed to just say- "Oh well, too fucking bad for you". "Everybody knows Social Security won't be around so we should just kill it now so I don't have to pay into it and Fuck You very much...."

How are ANY federal pensions different-Military, Park Service, Judges, Mail Carriers.....? Hell, they don't even have a special "tax" that supports them! If I can't expect to be paid- with what I've paid in.....I don't have alot of sympathy. Having said that, when somebody signs up for a specific "deal".....that "deal" should be honored and I don't care who you are. If part of the consideration for doing something is "X"....then the parties, especially a Government better make damn sure they deliver on "x".

You know I initially disagreed with you but I then I realized they are very equivalent.

How am I any less deserving of my defined benefit (SS) after paying into for 25 years so far (btw Navy Gulf War I Vet)?

My Dad retired as an O-6 after 24 years in the Air Force and to some extent depends on the retirement income but even he recognizes when the well runs dry, it's over for everyone.

Face it, Federal and Military retirement plans are a line item in each years budget and are funded at the whim of Congress, there is not even the fig leaf of a "trust fund" to hide behind there is truly nothing put aside.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:42:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
This is retarded.  This is not some corrupt public sector union cutting backroom deals in New Jersey or California.  The benefits system for the military has been known and established for decades, and is one of the better aspects of the compensation package.  In large part it makes up for crappy base pay.  So you change the system, you'll either end up with a crappier class of recruit or you'll have to increase base pay to compensate, resulting in no savings.  

IMHO this is just some guy seeking to stick his tongue up the Obamamessiah's asshole.  

More realistically, this is the DoD acknowledging that there will be no significant change to the welfare state model we currently operate under, and if we want to recapitalize the force, we'll only have our own resources to do it.  Unfair, but life is tough.

Wait two years to see if the Kenyan is gone before making this kind of structural change.  

We're getting the idea that regardless of Adminstration, there is no political will to significantly change the current entitlement models.  Like it or not, this is the reality.  Could it change in five years?  Possibly, not not even remotely likely.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:51:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Not sustainable?  No, a country without a military is - NOT SUSTAINABLE.  choose your poison.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:01:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Not sustainable?  No, a country without a military is - NOT SUSTAINABLE.  choose your poison.

Remember the time line, and look over the pond.

The British are seriously suggesting scrapping their nuclear deterrent, are going to "pool" their carriers, and are in the process of turning their military into a glorified gendarmerie to preserve their welfare state.  They are just 30 years down the financial road further, if that, than us.

The simple fact is that there is NO POLITICAL WILL to change welfare, Medicare or SocSec.  That's been demonstrated in the last 7 years.  If we want to recapitalize the force, we're going to need to find a way to do it internally,  the DoD chunk of the GDP is not getting bigger. We can and proclaim its inherent unfairness, but that won't change the fact.  We, as the DoD are going to have have a sea-change in how we view operations and strategy from an economic level.  We need to look at how we put ships to sea, boots on the ground and planes in the air, all from a economic point-of-view that I don't think exists in the DoD, from my admittely narrow and low vantage point.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:11:01 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The British are seriously suggesting scrapping their nuclear deterrent, are going to "pool" their carriers, and are in the process of turning their military into a glorified gendarmerie to preserve their welfare state.  They are just 30 years down the financial road further, if that, than us.

The simple fact is that there is NO POLITICAL WILL to change welfare, Medicare or SocSec.  That's been demonstrated in the last 7 years.  If we want to recapitalize the force, we're going to need to find a way to do it internally,  the DoD chunk of the GDP is not getting bigger. We can and proclaim its inherent unfairness, but that won't change the fact.  We, as the DoD are going to have have a sea-change in how we view operations and strategy from an economic level.  We need to look at how we put ships to sea, boots on the ground and planes in the air, all from a economic point-of-view that I don't think exists in the DoD, from my admittely narrow and low vantage point.

This may or may not be changing.  I believe that we are going to see in a decline of "Super Recipients", meaning those that live well beyond there years and absorb more Medicare and Social Security than they were supposed to.  Obesity and idleness may do it's share to help remedy some of our economic woes.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:19:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

This may or may not be changing.  I believe that we are going to see in a decline of "Super Recipients", meaning those that live well beyond there years and absorb more Medicare and Social Security than they were supposed to.  Obesity and idleness may do it's share to help remedy some of our economic woes.

I respectfully disagree.  There is an entire political party dedicated to the idea that these poor, beneighted souls get their "fair share."  We are going to means-test SS down to the "Have you ever held a job" level before what I think you're suggesting will happen.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:28:34 AM EDT
[#15]
If retirement was moved back, or taken away I would get out.  I have 10 years in this October and I enjoy my job, but I haw a wife and I want a family.  They come first, I can make more per year in the civillian world as a senior reactor operator than the Navy will pay but I am happy to serve.  If the retirement carrot is removed I leave the Navy then gets to pay to bring in a new guy and pay for the following

Boot camp
6months Nuke ET "A" school
6 months nuclear power school
6 months prototype training

Now they get to send him to the fleet as a bend new nub where it takes 18 months to qualify Reactor Operator before he can do ANY maintenance.

The initial training investment ends up at almost 3 1/2 years when all the moving is taken into account and a bunch of guys wash out.

Removing any more benefits will severly deplete a bunch of fields where civilian companies are still anxious to take advantage of the .gov investment.

-mike
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:31:26 AM EDT
[#16]
I am very pro military as I signed that dotted line myself.  However all pension programs are unsustainable these days and probably shouldn't have ever been started to the levels they are now anyway.  Certainly people who put their lives on the line to protect the masses, cops, FD, military all deserve our respect and a little more "cheese", as one person put it, however giving 20 years and expecting an additional 40+ years of pay and benefits is ridiculous IMO.  And that isn't even to mention the people who then "double dip" still working for the .gov or state.

Its funny to me to see how people ridicule welfare and every other government program but will fight too and nail to defend the program they are on because that is somehow different.  

YOU ARE WILLINGLY PUTTING YOUR HAND OUT TO ACCEPT MONEY FROM THE VERY SAME TAX PAYERS THAT ARE FOOTING THE BILL FOR THE LAZY BASTARDS ON WELFARE!!!!  Sure the reason is different but the end result is the same.  

It sucks beyond belief that WE let this country and ourselves become this give me, I deserve, I want class of people who depend on the .gov for so much.  I suspect there isn't a single person on this site who doesn't have someone in their family who receives some sort of payout from the .gov -> tax payers.  We ridicule those on other .gov programs but will not accept the fact that we are no better than them.

Everyone has an excuse as to why they deserve or have the right to the tax payer funds they receive.  Whether its a cop talking about their pensions, a military retiree (thank you for your service), a teacher complaining they have to work an additional 5 days a year, a park working pissed because they have to contribute another 2% for their health care, or a lazy welfare recipient popping out more kids to get more money, whomever it is they all excuses to justify it to themselves, their friends, family and others.

The fact of the matter is this country will never recover until the VAST majority of people stop thinking about me, I, and mine and starting thinking about what is best for the country and thus them.

Military members should be the first to realize this as some lay their lives on the line every day to protect this country giving more of themselves and their families than 99% of the rest of America.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:46:41 AM EDT
[#17]
I have far fewer issues with long-term, high cost pensions for servicemembers than I do for other jobs, mostly because pretty much any other job doesn't involve getting sent to some godforsaken shithole, eating cold crap for weeks on end, and getting shot at.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:48:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Who mentioned getting rid of the military?

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:01:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Pay the military a TRUE hourly wage with overtime after a 40 hour work week, pay them wages comensurate with the federal .gov pay scale / civilian sector  equivalent pay for the job that they do, give them the same financial protections that a federal / state / local employee gets, unionize them, ensure that all federal / state / local safety regulations / requirements are met for their job, end the UCMJ, allow them to stay for 40+ years, end the officer / enlisted ranks / customs / formalities and then I'll think about changing the current retirement system.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:03:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Drop the retirement and see what kind of .mil you have.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:22:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Pay the military a TRUE hourly wage with overtime after a 40 hour work week, pay them wages comensurate with the federal .gov pay scale / civilian sector  equivalent pay for the job that they do, give them the same financial protections that a federal / state / local employee gets, unionize them, ensure that all federal / state / local safety regulations / requirements are met for their job, end the UCMJ, allow them to stay for 40+ years, end the officer / enlisted ranks / customs / formalities and then I'll think about changing the current retirement system.

So, we'd have the French military, and end up building a Foreign Legion of actual soldiers for actual warfighting.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:23:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You think there still wouldn't be a line out the door to be an aviator?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:32:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

All of it. The leeches can starve, their pwecious wittle childwen right along with them if it came to cutting .mil retirement. See, the .mil folks EARNED what they're getting, the leeches earned NOTHING, to include food.

Oh, and I don't give two shits if this sounds cold. Tango Foxtrot Bravo.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:33:53 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The vast majority of those going into or already in the military have no plans to stay until retirement, the retirement package isn't even a concern to them.  I don't think anyone is saying they don't deserve some type of retirement, I know I don't think that.  

I think the only negative effect changing the retirement package would have is you might not have so many career military men and women stay as long as they do....which anyone who has served under such a person knows that might not be such a bad idea.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:46:33 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

<snip>

<snip>

Jaffe,

I don't agree with cutting the retirement (either) but I took what was said in the article a different way:

I hire you right out of high school, you work for me for 20 years....then retire.   I pay you for 40 MORE years (for a TOTAL of 60 years) as a pension.    That makes the retirement figures in the article more realistic.  

AFARR

As I mentioned above to CombatJack - I've seen other articles discussing this line of thinking that were pretty much 60 years after retirement. You guys are correct IF they are saying 60 years TOTAL service and retirement, that it would add up to the approximate life span. I would think they might want to be very clear about that when discussing it, as this a hot-button issue for quite a few people.

Going back and reading it several times I can see where you guys are reading it that way - struck me as the opposite - so maybe I am reading it wrong.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:52:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Plenty of leeches in the service, too.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All of it. The leeches can starve, their pwecious wittle childwen right along with them if it came to cutting .mil retirement. See, the .mil folks EARNED what they're getting, the leeches earned NOTHING, to include food.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:55:19 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Sustainable?

Well, tell me then...what about all those who signed proudly on the indicated line, recited the Oath of Enlistment (or officer's Oath of Office) proudly, and then ended up DEAD while on active duty?       What's a life worth?

Answer me this:  How many servicemen have died while on active duty in the 20th century and the last decade?

What's the dollar value attached to those lives?  Care to even TRY to calculate it?

Every last one of us who signed that form and took that oath did so knowing that it could mean our lives,  LITERALLY.  

No other job...except possibly law enforcement jobs...demands that you risk your life to get that paycheck.  

Balance all that against the fact that most people can get better pay in the civilian market.    Those who choose to serve this country do so

for many reasons but HIGH PAY IS NOT ONE OF THEM.

If anyone is going to give up the BEST 20 to 30 years of his life,  and after that he's in the "hard to employ due to age" category,  then damn

it,  then .gov sure as hell has an obligation to make the juice worth the squeeze!

And, what's your FREEDOM worth to you?  If you knew that we were on the verge of being invaded,  what would it be worth to you in cash out of your own wallet to stop the invasion?

Our military and its retirement pay is CHEAP compared to the cost of not having one.

CJ

I agree that they deserve their pay more than any other Government employee.  Sometimes, I wish I had stayed in and retired by now.

However it IS unsustainable, as is everything else the Government is doing.

It's interesting that you use the exact same arguments that the other big spenders use.

Fact:  We are not the "Richest Country in the World"      We are flat broke, and going deeper in the hole every single day.  

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:57:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Plenty of leeches in the service, too.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a very relevant sliding scale of the definition of "leech". Sure, by .mil standards there are leeches/REMFs/pogues/whatever. But by anyone's standards the welfare leeches are truly that. They have done NOTHING (just being alive qualifies you for nothing including food). At least the military "leech" is ACTIVELY DOING SOMETHING ON A DAILY BASIS.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:00:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The U.S. military must overhaul and reduce the cost of paying its people, funding their retirements and underwriting their health care, a top Pentagon adviser said.

Substitute "U.S. Congress" for "U.S. military", add in something about funding their endless travel and entertainment, and I'm pretty much with you.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:09:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You think there still wouldn't be a line out the door to be an aviator?

There'd be a line out the exit, too.  The turnover rate, alone, would SERIOUSLY hamper Naval Aviation.  Requirements for manning would effectively increase... standards would be lowered... tactics, performance and hardware would suffer.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:41:15 PM EDT
[#31]
I "retired" in 1976 after 21 yrs. service.  The retirement pay I received was 1/2 of my "base" pay at the time of retirement.  I went back to college for about 18 mos. then I was offered a job making about three times what I made in the military.   8-5 Mon-Fri. with NO unpaid overtime.  I could quit anytime I wanted to, my employer wasn't going to tell me at 8am that I would be mobilizing by noon that day to be gone for as long as they needed me and I couldn't call my wife, he wouldn't send me away on assignment for a year or more if I didn't want to go, he couldn't put me in jail if I walked off the job and didn't return, I didn't have several extra duties to perform and still do my primary job.  

We were given "career" briefings regularly and told about the lifetime free medical care (this promise has already been broken) that would be there for my family until the kids turned 18 and the rest of our lives for me and my wife.
I signed on the line and lived up to my part and I damn well expect the government to do the same.
For those here who haven't served at all...........why?
Paying taxes to support our military is the easy part.  It's serving that's hard.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:29:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The vast majority of those going into or already in the military have no plans to stay until retirement, the retirement package isn't even a concern to them.  I don't think anyone is saying they don't deserve some type of retirement, I know I don't think that.  

I think the only negative effect changing the retirement package would have is you might not have so many career military men and women stay as long as they do....which anyone who has served under such a person knows that might not be such a bad idea.

I have never met a private that was bent on retiring.  When reenlistment comes around they get very wishy-washy, it's a big decision.  They pretty much stay that way usually until mid-career, around -6 level.  
The vast majority of very successful leaders I have worked with never planned on staying in until retirement, they simply acted on a very strong sense of loyalty.

You would end up gutting the senior enlisted ranks, there would be absolutely no incentive to stay on and continue a punishing physical regimen and hardship abroad.  Especially with the skill-sets for management involved at the higher enlisted ranks.

It would very nearly resemble the early 1980's, you would have to build a base of experience again.

I don't know about you, but I don't want an immature, inexperienced force.

If the retirement package is dramatically changed for the worst, the armed forces of this country will resemble the Jews leaving Egypt.

Something else to add: if we are to remain an all-volunteer force, this would severely hamper any sort of recruiting effort.  None of the branches of service effected would be able to say they can guarantee anything.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:41:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, we'd have the French military, and end up building a Foreign Legion of actual soldiers for actual warfighting.

Have you seen how many foreign nationals have and are serving in the US Military?
Let's not forget contractors either.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:02:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Fuck him.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:03:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Why anyone in the Military would think they are looked at as anything more then an expendable turd on a old boot by those in this administration is beyond me. These people know how you tend to vote and they don't give a rats ass about you, your benefits or anything else. Shaniqua on the other hand, well, she votes the "right" way and is more valuable to them.

That's just the facts.

So, how much does the lifetime welfare moochers and all their "free" medical benefits cost the Govt?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:19:45 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Someone who signs his name to a contract for military service is volunteering to subject himself to orders that could quite possibly get him killed.  A person who enters into that contract voluntarily and of his own free will certainly DESERVES a solid retirement package and medical care for life if he can make it to retirement age.

If there is one group that deserves a solid retirement, it's those who volunteer for service that could well kill them.    Fair's fair.  I offer my life

in service to this country, and if I serve my time and survive it,  I expect to be repaid in kind...by ensuring that the rest of my life is reasonably

comfortable and my health issues are seen to.

CJ

This.

And...

"We know that it is not sustainable to pay people for 60 years to serve for 20," the former Marine Corps Reserve director said.

...is complete and utter BS.

Example 1 - youngster enlists in the military upon graduation at 18 years of age and serves 20 years and retires at 38 years of age - said youngster will be 98 years old using the math in that statement.

Example 2 - youngster decides to go to college, get a degree and then sign up for military service upon graduation at the age of 22 and then serves 20 years and retires at the age of 42 - said youngster will be 102 years old using the math in that statement.

VERY FEW military retirees live to be 98 or 102 years of age.  Most die well before that age.  According to DoD actuaries... "Rossi also produced average life expectancy comparisons. In 2004, for instance, 60-year-old active duty enlisted retirees had an average life expectancy of 19.6 years." http://www.military.com/features/0,15240,183052,00.html  Using the 2004 average of 79.6 years for enlisted active duty, that's an 18.4 year error in the numbers the people in the OPs article are using.

Unless the DOD's actuaries made errors in 2004.

Or the numbers have magically improved to a 98 year life expectancy for active duty enlisted retirees.

Or... I don't know... maybe someone is pushing a point-of-view to reach a desired outcome?

Graduate HS, join the .mil at 18

Get paid for the twenty you are on active duty.

Retire at 38

Get .gov check for forty more years.

Die at 78

The .gov sent you a check for a total of  60 years (20+40) for your 20 years of work.

Sorry, but it is not sustainable.

Don't tell that to my wife!

I toted an M-16 for five years and spent 23 years floating around in seven different Navy ships.  I was deployed out of home port over 70% of the time while assigned to a ship.  I put three of them through overhaul...not a fun time.  While I was gone, my wife ran our family and did a superb job of it too.  She and our kids sacrifice more than any American can imagine!  I earned every fargin penny of my meager "retainer".  And yes, as an officer, that's what it's called...not retirement.  Until I was declared NPQ due to service-related medical ailments that may very well kill me in the end, I was subject to immediate recall to active duty.

Congress mandated after WW II that the retirement age would be 20 years.  They did so for what were then very good reasons:  At the start of the war, our force was old and out of shape.  Many older, married and more cautious senior enlisted and officers were not up to the task ahead of them and were subsequently relieved, many in the field, for cause.  Congress wanted a young and fit force.  To get that, they set up the current retirement system under the then new "National Defense Act of 1947".  

Actually several years ago, career personnel were allowed to take the "15 year" early retirement.  Don't know if it is still available, but if it is, then I'd agree to that.  There are also "up or out" regs in place...so not all of the "undeserving" are allowed to stay in.  That said those that are deserving ought to be permitted to retire with a fat annuity.  They earned it.

Yes, we are living longer.  Yes, there are more of us now than ever before, and yes, the overall costs of paying our retirement annuities and keeping us alive with the Tricare system is nothing short of astronomical!  As one who year after year, duty station after duty station, ship after ship, through good times and shitty times, put his life out there for our country to take if necessary; I say NO!  Leave the system alone...in fact, MAKE IT BETTER for the troops!  Make it MORE attractive!

There is plenty of waste in government.  We ought not to be asking our service members and their families to sacrifice more.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:44:52 PM EDT
[#37]
I retired in 1996 after twenty years/one divorce in the USMC and have all my retirement, unlike MANY that ceded 50% to an ex spouse, due to legislation that made military members retirement vulnerable to spouses claims.  (Thanks Pat Schroeder, you fucking bitch + plus a bunch of fat assed Navy spouses in Norfolk).  

While the military member travels to places around the planet that suck, the aggrieved spouse living in rearendia is awarded 50% or retirement/retainer while sitting on their fat ass.

I make a six digit salary as a civ.  

My retired E-7 pay is around 20K.

If you think that is an enormous fortune/gift, tough shit.

Does it mean anything money wise to me?

I could survive without any of it, but like social security, which I've paid into since the age of fourteen, I plan on collecting it.

Not because I need it, but because I made a contract, just as the government did.  

Of course, if the government was held to the same standard as publicly traded corporations, all the ponzi schemes they hatch would land the politicians in jail.

It's a BENEFIT, not an ENTITLEMENT.

While I have all of my retirement, I know plenty of vets that don't have JACK SHIT to show for twenty years of service.

P.S.

I plan on living to 100, because it's a nice round number and  I like it.  

I hope that pisses you off, too.

Jim
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:40:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Very few, but it does happen.  

Also a factor that is not made apparent by the article is percent of people who actually stay in to retire, in the Marines it is under 10 percent.

And what percent of those are officers?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:44:55 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

P.S.

I plan on living to 100, because it's a nice round number and  I like it.  

I hope that pisses you off, too.

Jim

You forgot the part where you marry an 18 year old gold digger on your 99th birthday.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:17:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
When they stop my Retainer Pay it is Fo time.

I'm with you. Can bring more.

Count me in
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:20:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Sustainable?

Well, tell me then...what about all those who signed proudly on the indicated line, recited the Oath of Enlistment (or officer's Oath of Office) proudly, and then ended up DEAD while on active duty?       What's a life worth?

Answer me this:  How many servicemen have died while on active duty in the 20th century and the last decade?

What's the dollar value attached to those lives?  Care to even TRY to calculate it?

Every last one of us who signed that form and took that oath did so knowing that it could mean our lives,  LITERALLY.  

No other job...except possibly law enforcement jobs...demands that you risk your life to get that paycheck.  

Balance all that against the fact that most people can get better pay in the civilian market.    Those who choose to serve this country do so
for many reasons but HIGH PAY IS NOT ONE OF THEM.

If anyone is going to give up the BEST 20 to 30 years of his life,  and after that he's in the "hard to employ due to age" category,  then damn
it,  then .gov sure as hell has an obligation to make the juice worth the squeeze!

And, what's your FREEDOM worth to you?  If you knew that we were on the verge of being invaded,  what would it be worth to you in cash out of your own wallet to stop the invasion?

Our military and its retirement pay is CHEAP compared to the cost of not having one.

CJ

I agree that they deserve their pay more than any other Government employee.  Sometimes, I wish I had stayed in and retired by now.

However it IS unsustainable, as is everything else the Government is doing.

It's interesting that you use the exact same arguments that the other big spenders use.

Fact:  We are not the "Richest Country in the World"      We are flat broke, and going deeper in the hole every single day.  

"Unsustainable" ?  Hardly.  Only in the last few years has this concept of "unsustainable" been seriously talked about.  What bullshit.  

It wasn't mil retirement benefits that "broke the bank"-or even DOD spending in general.  Just look at spending priorities by Congress to figure that one out.  DOD spending-and all that it encompasses-has been the best investment this country has ever collectively spent money on.    

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:17:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
When they stop my Retainer Pay it is Fo time.

I'm with you. Can bring more.

Count me in

This civie will be right the fuck with ya ...

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 10:16:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Free fucking medical? Ive been active duty for 16years and I pay $200.00 in medications a  month for my family that tricare wont cover.....We dont get 1/2 base pay on retirement, but your last high 3 which breaks down to like 45% of your base pay...the have changed the retirement once and medical twice since Ive been, in...they break there promises whenever it suits them....If I ran for congress for 6 years, I get a full retirement and medical for life.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:31:37 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

What's a life worth?

Easy answer to that.
$400,000

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:56:35 AM EDT
[#45]
After congress cuts federal civilian pay by 30-40 % and ends all GS, NSPS, etc. civilain pensions, including their own and for federal law enforcement, I'll talk about changing .mil retired pay.  Until then, go away.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:59:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Free fucking medical? Ive been active duty for 16years and I pay $200.00 in medications a  month for my family that tricare wont cover.....We dont get 1/2 base pay on retirement, but your last high 3 which breaks down to like 45% of your base pay...the have changed the retirement once and medical twice since Ive been, in...they break there promises whenever it suits them....If I ran for congress for 6 years, I get a full retirement and medical for life.

You'd think that with bullshit like this, we wouldn't even have to talk about term limits.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:57:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Free fucking medical? Ive been active duty for 16years and I pay $200.00 in medications a  month for my family that tricare wont cover.....We dont get 1/2 base pay on retirement, but your last high 3 which breaks down to like 45% of your base pay...the have changed the retirement once and medical twice since Ive been, in...they break there promises whenever it suits them.... If I ran for congress for 6 years, I get a full retirement and medical for life.

This is the goverment you have chosen to serve.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:19:49 AM EDT
[#48]
And so it ends.....Funny how the names change but the results never do....

550 AD- Justinian names Germanus ruler of Gaul and marries him to Witigis' widow Mataswintha. Germanus travels to Italy, defeating a Slav invasion of the Balkans while en route, but then falls ill and dies before reaching Italy.
After the Isaurian garisson does not receive their pay, they open the gates of Rome to the Ostrogoths and the battered city switches hands again.
Totila invades Sicily, but Artabanes retakes the island.
Bessas besieges Petra in Lazica.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:39:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Most government pensions are extravagant and ridiculous in cost, that being said Id be going after the pensions of people who were only senators for 2 years who receive their pay for rest their life as opposed to the .mil types who get a pension after 20 years of ass on the line
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:51:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
We are bankrupt. No one is getting a pension. No one.

Then let us start by erasing the Pensions of Congressmen , Senators, and the former Presidents first.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top