Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:04:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes on AR/Hunting rifles

The handgun is a Sig so no safety to worry about.  I think most people would use safeties on handguns if they were to put them on the frame like 1911's instead of high on the slide like S&W's, Rugers......
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:08:04 AM EDT
[#2]

I was talking to a guy and he refuses to hunt with me because I don’t use the safety on ANY of my guns.

Your friend is a wise man.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:08:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I honestly can't believe I am reading about people that don't use the safety on their firearms. This has been some of the dumbest reading I've done in a long time. Good Lord! Go get some training people. I sure as hell won't shoot with someone that refuses to use a safety. In fact I doubt I'd even associate with that person. This is incredible.

Wouldn't "refuses to use safety" be grounds for an asswhoopin?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:10:37 AM EDT
[#4]
The Sig and the Glock don't matter anyway.

Otherwise, if it has a safety I use it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:12:03 AM EDT
[#5]
The reason you not need to worry about the safety on Glocks or Sigs is because *hopefully* you are carrying them in a holster that protects the trigger.  You can't do that with a rifle.  Stumbling through the woods with a loaded rifle with the safety off is stoopid.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:12:15 AM EDT
[#6]
For the sake of arguement, let's agree that decocker = safety on weapons such as Sigs.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:14:56 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
For the sake of arguement, let's agree that decocker = safety on weapons such as Sigs.

You will also notice on Sigs that the hammer is not resting on the firing pin.  My old Ruger had a safety that blocked the firing pin when the hammer was down.  If you took the safety off the hammer rested right on top of the firing pin.  If you dropped it in just he right way it could discharge.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:15:48 AM EDT
[#8]
People make mistakes.  A safety, though not failsafe, is another barrier between the fallibility of man and a catastrophic, possibly deadly, accident.

Anyone who doesn't do everything they can to minimize the possibility of an accident is irresponsible.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:19:52 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Nope - I can't agree.  Same with loaded chamber or cocking indicators - they are not safeties.

What possible benefit can be had by calling thses things a safety (especially when they are not)?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:21:39 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope - I can't agree.  Same with loaded chamber or cocking indicators - they are not safeties.

What possible benefit can be had by calling thses things a safety (especially when they are not)?

They help you SAFELY decock the firearm.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:26:32 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I was talking to a guy and he refuses to hunt with me because I don’t use the safety on ANY of my guns.
I am VERY safe in every way but I refuse to use a safety. Keep your frickin finger out of the trigger guard. If I carried my 1911 (I don’t) is about the only time I would use it.

All precautions are observed diligently with the exception of the use of the safety.

How do you feel and or what do you do.

Not using a safety on a range is fine. Not using one while hunting is stupid. Too many things in the bush can snag the trigger.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:26:42 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think the intent was that to say that a decocker is a type of
safety measure for the weapon.  My P99 has a decocker too, and,
in most classes I've been to the instructors have us utilize
the decocker like we do a safety while we're hot.

Obviously, it's not a mechanical safety, but, it is an additional measure,
which, like a safety, you should utilize.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:28:49 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Your friend is a wise man.

No doubt, I wouldn't hunt with him either. Too many close calls already in my life from other nimrods, Marines, and soldiers who "didn't need a safety" or watched BHD too many times.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:29:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:29:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Only hunting or while shooting highpower matches
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:30:02 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I am VERY safe in every way but I refuse to use a safety. Keep your frickin finger out of the trigger guard. If I carried my 1911 (I don’t) is about the only time I would use it.

All precautions are observed diligently with the exception of the use of the safety.

Not using a safety on a range is fine. Not using one while hunting is stupid. Too many things in the bush can snag the trigger.

No, it's not.

Any training courses I've been through would kick you off the range if you
refused to use your safety.

Why would you not put as many simple barriers between your weapon and, possibly
killing someone negligently as possible?

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:30:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Always use any equipped safety on a firearm until you are on target and ready to fire.

AR15 in port carry position, safety on
1911 cocked, AND locked
HK or Sig, one in chamber, decocked, safety OFF
Glock, finger off trigger until on target.

Use any equipped safety onthe firearm until on target.  Get it?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:31:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:32:21 AM EDT
[#19]
I use the safety switch when there is one, but I am careful to follow the safety rules at all times.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:33:33 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
If it doesn't have a grip safety (ie 1911, XD) or a firing pin safety (ie Glock, XD, etc) or a trigger safety (ie Glock, XD, etc) what happens if you drop it?  My Rem 700 trigger will disengage in a hard wind.

A rifle like that should not be carried.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:33:58 AM EDT
[#21]
if it has a manual safety I use it,

of course I don't really believe in "accidental" discharges either,  only negligent ones.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:34:33 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I disagree it's "fine" to not use one on a range--muscle memory and habits are what keep us safe.  Diligent consistency is mandatory.

So, I can't shoot some of my guns at all? Some of them do not have safeties...
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:38:59 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I disagree it's "fine" to not use one on a range--muscle memory and habits are what keep us safe.  Diligent consistency is mandatory.

What you adress was basically covered in Pg2.  

Obviously if you are running a Glock, Sig, P99, etc, you don't have a mechanical
safe.

Obviously, then, you can't use a saftey on a weapon that doesn't have one.

However, that does not make it ok to NOT use a safety on a weapon on the range,
or anywhere else that DOES have one.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:39:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:41:19 AM EDT
[#25]
At the range, I empty my weapon and remove the magazine with the bolt open, thats my safety.

At home, the loaded guns use no safety and are always ready to go.

Out hunting, the safety is on.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:42:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:42:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Hunting, sitting in a stand/blind - No
Hunting, walking around - Yes

This came up a while back, and that wasnt clarified until later.  90A% of the hunting I did was in a stand.... and no, I dont put my safety on in a stand.

Handguns, NEVER.  The slide is either locked back if the pistol is to be set down, or it is holstered.  The only safety I ever engage on a handgun is a 1911.
Skeet shooting - No.
Bench shooting at the range - No  Bolt is either locked back/open or I am shooting.
Weapon stored - No.  If I store a weapon chambered, it is ready to go for defense... and typically it's a Glock, so a moot point.  Shotguns and rifles are never stored chambered, otherwise they absolutely would be placed on safety....

If a weapon is to be handed to another person, it is either placed on safety (shooting), or it is emptied and locked open. (inspection)

Taking a course with the AR - the safety goes on and off a bazillion times, as commanded by the instructor.

Shooting a match with the AR - hardly ever is the safety engaged.  The weapons always begin locked and empty.  We are commanded to load and make ready, at which point the finger becomes the safety.  When the shooting stops, you are immediately commanded to unload and show clear.  My AR safety is really only used in classes.... otherwise, the bolt is locked back, or I am shooting it.

Right or wrong, that is how I do it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:42:52 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are your thought processes so simple?  

I was thinking the same thing but I was trying to be nice

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:49:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:55:50 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Hunting, sitting in a stand/blind - No
Hunting, walking around - Yes

This came up a while back, and that wasnt clarified until later.  90A% of the hunting I did was in a stand.... and no, I dont put my safety on in a stand.

Handguns, NEVER.  The slide is either locked back if the pistol is to be set down, or it is holstered.  The only safety I ever engage on a handgun is a 1911.
Skeet shooting - No.
Bench shooting at the range - No  Bolt is either locked back/open or I am shooting.
Weapon stored - No.  If I store a weapon chambered, it is ready to go for defense... and typically it's a Glock, so a moot point.  Shotguns and rifles are never stored chambered, otherwise they absolutely would be placed on safety....

If a weapon is to be handed to another person, it is either placed on safety (shooting), or it is emptied and locked open. (inspection)

Taking a course with the AR - the safety goes on and off a bazillion times, as commanded by the instructor.

Shooting a match with the AR - hardly ever is the safety engaged.  The weapons always begin locked and empty.  We are commanded to load and make ready, at which point the finger becomes the safety.  When the shooting stops, you are immediately commanded to unload and show clear.  My AR safety is really only used in classes.... otherwise, the bolt is locked back, or I am shooting it.

Right or wrong, that is how I do it.

What is up with those instructors and their preoccupation with safety?  
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:59:46 AM EDT
[#31]
I carry a Sig or a Glock everyday what is this manual safety you speak of?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:00:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Today's definition of irony.....

The "responsible gun owners and shooters" in this thread who don't use a safety.

Very disappointing.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:00:30 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My position on this site notwithstanding, I can see no reason to sugar coat safety issues.  I am a true firearm safety fanatic.  I was a hunter long before I started shooting refrigerators and bowling pins and I have seen the effects of a bullet passing through the tissue of an animal.  I will do ANYTHING to keep that from happening to myself or anyone around me.  People who are too stupid to use safeties 100% of the time are simply not smart enough to be trusted in my presence with firearms--period.  There is NO reason to not use a safety and EVERY reason to use one.  Sheesh!

Oh, I agree with you.

I only really got into firearms about a year ago, and, the first thing I went out and did was
plop down some major dineros on professional training.

The fundamentals were pounded into my head from the first day of class:
-Muzzle control
-finger control
-mechanical safe/decock

In one class we spent an hour just snapping up from low ready and, disengageing safety for
it to become a trained response.

I don't see any acceptable reason ever to have your weapon off safe unless you are on target and ready to shoot.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:02:45 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is up with those instructors and their preoccupation with safety?  

I dunno.  It was the first carbine course I ever took, and the instructor was AWESOME.  We covered every facet of an advanced class... but in almost all his drills, weapon was placed on safe if you werent shooting.  We would all be on the line, and the instructor would call "targets" in which we were to placed a previously determined number of rounds in the target directly in fron of us.  We had to take the weapon off safe, and place it back on safe after firing our double-tap.  We repeated this for mag after mag.... my hand was almost bloddy at the end of that day... I blistered from using the safety so much.  (lefty)

No courses I have taken since did that, to the same degree..... but I will never forget it.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:03:07 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I carry a Sig or a Glock everyday what is this manual safety you speak of?

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:08:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Always.  

Removing the safety is part of the shooting process.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:28:55 AM EDT
[#37]
I don't blame your friend for not wanting to be around you when you have a gun. Did you take into account what unsafe possibilities exist if you were to slip or fall, or a twig got stuck by accident in your trigger guard? I wonder how many moron gun owners decided that they did not need a safety after they watched Black Hawk Down (referring to the scene when the guy says "My finger is my safety")?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:30:46 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My position on this site notwithstanding, I can see no reason to sugar coat safety issues.  I am a true firearm safety fanatic.  I was a hunter long before I started shooting refrigerators and bowling pins and I have seen the effects of a bullet passing through the tissue of an animal.  I will do ANYTHING to keep that from happening to myself or anyone around me.  People who are too stupid to use safeties 100% of the time are simply not smart enough to be trusted in my presence with firearms--period.  There is NO reason to not use a safety and EVERY reason to use one.  Sheesh!

1000+
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:45:19 AM EDT
[#39]
I use it but never RELY on it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:48:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:48:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Sure i'll put something on Safe, since it takes no longer to take the safety off and fire if thats how you train.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:06:03 AM EDT
[#42]
I generally do not use mechanical safeties. I always use the cerebral safety in my head!

1) I am a lefty, most guns are not southpaw friendly

2) I carry in condition 3. I understand the arguments against it but see #1.

3) Mechanical safeties can and do fail.

4) I have seen too many shooters who use a safety as a substitute for sound judgement and safe handling practices - "Don'y worry, the safety is on."

When I am hunting, I usually keep the bolt open until I am ready to aim. Some say it risks spooking the dear- oh well. If I'm using my pump shotgun for deer I'll load only AFTER I am in my stand, keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction and keep my damn finger off the trigger until I am ready to shoot.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:08:07 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I generally do not use mechanical safeties. I always use the cerebral safety in my head!

4) I have seen too many shooters who use a safety as a substitute for sound judgement and safe handling practices - "Don'y worry, the safety is on."

When I am hunting, I usually keep the bolt open until I am ready to aim. Some say it risks spooking the dear- oh well.

I don't want to be anywhere near you when you're hunting your "dear".
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:10:37 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is you two who are being simplistic. Competition trap guns and benchrest rifles totally lack safeties. I shoot these far more than my huning shotguns or rifles. The reason it is okay to shoot them sans safeties is that  they are only used in a very controlled range environment. It has NOTHING to do with developing muscle memory or habits.

Too many people think their way is always the only right way.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:10:41 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

...3) Mechanical safeties can and do fail...

Mechanical safeties can fail, but not your "cerebral" safety? I envy you your self-confidence.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:14:40 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

When I am hunting, I usually keep the bolt open until I am ready to aim. Some say it risks spooking the dear- oh well. If I'm using my pump shotgun for deer I'll load only AFTER I am in my stand, keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction and keep my damn finger off the trigger until I am ready to shoot.

I really don't understand your or anyone elses logic against using a safety.  It becomes part of the action of raising the weapon to fire, so it doesn't slow you down.  And it IS an added measure of safety.  A negligent discharge in this situation can be the end of someone's life.  I think too many here think it cool because of the line in BHD.  Again, hunt alone.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:16:46 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When I am hunting, I usually keep the bolt open until I am ready to aim. Some say it risks spooking the dear- oh well.

I don't want to be anywhere near you when you're hunting your "dear".

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:18:16 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I wouldn't hunt with you either.

Of course I use my safeties, along with proper firearm handling. The's no reason whatsoever not to.

It's like not wearing your sealtbelt because you're a safe driver. It's not the shit you can control that bites you in the ass. It's the shit you can't.  

ETA, Sorry USMC. I didn't read the whole thread before posting.

Spot on,!
quote]Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yes if the chamber is loaded and im not actually shooting it, the safety is always on.  Thats the way I was taught.

+ infinity

infinity + 1

The seatbelt in your car is there only to protect you during accidents, consider the safety on your weapon if you trip and fall pointing the weapon at someone it is less likely to go off and kill anyone stupid enough to hunt with you.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:19:26 AM EDT
[#49]
I am simply amazed that some here do not use safeties when they are available on a firearm.

That line out of "Blackhawk Down" was cute, but stupid.  No well-trained operator would refuse to use a safety.

Any high-caliber training school will teach you to use a safety or decocker each and every time a firing string is completed.

This is not something we ought to even debate.  No one should refuse to use a safety.  Period.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:20:17 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wouldn't hunt with you either.

Of course I use my safeties, along with proper firearm handling. The's no reason whatsoever not to.

It's like not wearing your sealtbelt because you're a safe driver. It's not the shit you can control that bites you in the ass. It's the shit you can't.  

My question is what is so different about a 1911 that you see the need to use the safety on it, but not hunting rifles?  At LEAST the 1911 has the beavertail safety........
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top