Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:12:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I do occasionally as a way of asking a question, often in repeating someone's statement back to them.

It's not a constant/normal way of speech for me. I hope.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:18:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I've noticed it more in foreigners... Aussies in particular. Not ALL of them.

Tried to watch a video by an Aussie guy describe how he set up a battery storage system, and couldn't stand how he'd raise pitch at the end of every sentence. It's like he's asking a question with every line, and it's confusing as fuck trying to listen to it.

ARE YOU ASKING A FUCKING QUESTION OR NOT, MATE? I CAN'T TELL!!

That and vocal fry. Yeah. If you could just stop doing that. All of civilization will be thankful.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:19:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Another good example of uptalking

Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:38:59 AM EDT
[#4]
This thread is more entertaining when you read the replies that way.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:40:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Here's an entire documentary called "Do I Sound Gay?" for your listening pleasure:

I watched a couple minutes and my ears are still ringing. The guy in the video seems to realize this contrived speech pattern he got in the habit of is just a way of signaling to others. He says it made him feel special and sophisticated when he was probably just coping with insecurity.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:43:36 AM EDT
[#6]
I've got a couple of female clients who do it constantly.  Drives me nuts, but their checks don't bounce so it's all good.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top