Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:41:13 AM EDT
[#1]
One thing I need to ask of the "everything always loaded 24/7" crowd.

Why?  For example,  is there a need for that .444 Marlin in the back of safe three to be ready to go at a moment's notice?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:47:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Absolutely horiible idea and unsafe for a whole host of reasons.  FOr example, you, a child or guest could forget the cardinal rule of assuming every weapon is unloaded and bam, AD.  

EDIT TO ADD:  I'm speaking of safe weapons, not a home defense weapon, however, even then I would not have a chambered round.  But that is my choice.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:50:34 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
By "chamber check" I assume you mean "press check"?

You mean to tell me that making sure you are in battery is Hollywood?
I guess Max Joseph, Steve Moses, and, Clint Smith are just Hollywood cowboys then.
There MIGHT be a reason that every professional training school I've been to
uses the press check as a step in the loading process.

I've said it once, and, I'll say it again;  If you are unable to safely handle your firearm when
it's hot, you probably should re-think your decision to own a weapon.

+1

Press-checking isn't Hollywood; racking the slide continually is Hollywood.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:04:08 AM EDT
[#4]
My nightstand gun, my truck gun, and my shotty are all loaded, all the time (no kids).  

All guns are loaded, but those are my go-to guns........the rest are just "loaded" for safety.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:16:37 AM EDT
[#5]
To answer your question, Lanceman.
I would say you're doing the right thing.  If you have need to carry loaded weapons then do NOT unload/load them any more frequently than is necessary to be sure of their readiness.

The guy who is unloading his weapon in his car everytime before he enters his house is probably engaging in dangerous firearms handling practices.  Unless he's carrying a revolver or a semi which he NEVER carries condition 1.

But everyone's situation is different.  I'm not a fan of "one size fits all" solutions.

For me, I have enough firearms that there is no good reason to have all of them loaded.  In fact, as a general rule, I follow the standard safety guidlines of weapons unloaded and secured with ammo secured separately.

The exception is my Mossy 590.  That has fully loaded ammo carriers with two choices of ammo instantly available, but nothing stored routinely in the magazine.

I modify my readiness situation as I feel it is warranted.
As an example; about six years ago we had an escapee from one of PA's max security prisons running around our locality (he was originally from the area).  Until he was caught, I slept with a loaded 1911 right by my bed.  Otherwise, where I live, violent crime has been such a rare occurrance (I've lived in the same house for over 36 years), that it's hard to worry about it that much.  I'm also not home that much.  For me, I'm more concerened about coming home to find a break-in, and then having to worry about whether the goof has gotten into shit he shouldn't be into, waiting for me to come in the back door!

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:00:12 AM EDT
[#6]
"They're randomly loaded.  It's a little game I play."

Seriously, my HD AR has one in the chamber and a full mag 24/7.  The rest are unloaded in the safe.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:01:06 AM EDT
[#7]
yes
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:21:56 AM EDT
[#8]
AR and XD40 loaded and chambered as defense weapons. Rest unloaded and put away.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:21:40 AM EDT
[#9]
My Glock 23 carry piece I keep loaded but in the holster at all times even when not being carried.  I don't want to be constantly chambering and unchambering a round.  I keep one AR-15 with a loaded mag but nothing in the chamber.  I also keep a night stand pistol with a loaded mag an nothing in the chamber.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:33:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Being that my 92fs is DA/SA I keep it fully loaded mag and chamber with hammer down safety off. In this condition it is safe and ready to go, all I got to do pull the trigger!!.....
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:38:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Nope, a properly stored gun by definition is not readily accessable.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:03:17 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
By "chamber check" I assume you mean "press check"?

You mean to tell me that making sure you are in battery is Hollywood?
I guess Max Joseph, Steve Moses, and, Clint Smith are just Hollywood cowboys then.
There MIGHT be a reason that every professional training school I've been to
uses the press check as a step in the loading process.

I've said it once, and, I'll say it again;  If you are unable to safely handle your firearm when
it's hot, you probably should re-think your decision to own a weapon.

+1

Press-checking isn't Hollywood; racking the slide continually is Hollywood.

On a training range a press-check is often useful if, after a long string or strings of complicated fire, you are not 100% sure of the state of your weapon. I've been to some schools where it was encouraged (Farnam) and others where it was not (S&W) and others that were ambivalent. The question is: is it useful in your bedroom? Ever since the S&W school I've subscribed to their suggestion which says it is mostly unecessary. It has nothing to do with my ability to perform the skill, which I'm happy to say is just fine.

Yes, you should make sure you are in battery. And knowing how to do a press check is an important skill to learn and master. But doing a press check or chamber check or whatever you'd like to call it is not necessarily the best or only way to check the state of your weapon. It's another bit of administrative gun handling that is easily avoided.

I suppose it all comes down to whether or not you normally keep your chamber loaded. If you don't store it with a loaded chamber then yes, there could be some remote chance that the weapon did not chamber a round correctly and yes a press check is a quick way to ascertain this, especially if you don't have the time or inclination to top up your magazine.

But a press check is essentially an emergency procedure in that case. Otherwise why not just rack the slide, holster the weapon, pull out the mag and top it up? You're going to top it up, right? If it tops up to full with 1 round then you're good to go. No need to point it in a safe direction, keep your finger off the trigger or generally fumble with it at all. The weapon is now ready for instant use, as it should be, with no need to unholster it much less check it again until either a) you relinquish control of the weapon to someone else or b) the next time you need to clear it.

aa

P.S. Press-checking is Hollywood, too, just a "cooler" version. Big time hero is sneaking up on the bad guys so he press-checks his pistol. Why? Didn't he do that in the morning when he strapped it on? Has it somehow magically changed state since then? Shouldn't it have already been ready for instant use?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:09:21 AM EDT
[#13]
My CCW is loaded with one in the chamber. All the guns in the safe are unloaded and loaded mags are kept elsewhere.

The only time I unload the CCW is at the range or when I switch carry guns.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:11:17 AM EDT
[#14]
3 loaded but not chambered right next to my bed. XD-9 w/ hp rounds, 20 gauge with nitro mag rounds and an ak with hps. Always at hand.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:26:05 AM EDT
[#15]
I keep all my guns loaded 24/7 to maximize my chances for a AD/ND so I can post my experience to this board.  

Seriously, why would you keep your safe queens loaded?  If you are taking them hunting or to the range, you have to unload them anyway.  Do you plan on arming the neighboorhood at a moments notice?  What about robbers getting access to your loading guns while you are in another part of the house?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top