User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 11:10:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

State government is funded by federal government, I work at a state faculty that  totally funded by the federal government. My question still remains valid
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think there should be some benefits for veterans.

So do you think there should be some benefits for civil service employees such as police officers that are injured on the job also?

Just like soldiers they also chose a known risky career and swore to uphold the constitution.

Just making things intresting

That's another state level issue as the vast majority of police are state level and down.

State government is funded by federal government, I work at a state faculty that  totally funded by the federal government. My question still remains valid

Federal government has no mandate per the Constitution to fund state level agencies.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 11:26:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I think we have a moral obligation to a  limited few......children mostly.....some that are extremely mentally impaired however this FSA stuff is way out of line......
View Quote

Now... think about about how the "we" in your statement doesn't make sense: If I don't agree with your definition of "moral obligation", are you prepared to force me to do something? Well of course not, even though that's implied... so how about you do what you want to do, persuade others if you wish, but leave force out of the picture? If you truly also believed that you could justly force me to comply with what you believe, what does that make you?
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 11:28:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Keep the benefits, but closely monitor what they're used for.  No spending them on cigs and beer or energy drinks at the local 7-11.  Good wholesome food only.  People shouldn't go hungry or homeless, but that's as far as my sympathy extends.
View Quote

Oh, how does that obligate me to provide food or clothing to another human being? You're telling me that some random person can choose not to provide for themselves, and come traipsing up to my door to force me to provide for them? Seriously?
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 12:14:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Federal government has no mandate per the Constitution to fund state level agencies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think there should be some benefits for veterans.

So do you think there should be some benefits for civil service employees such as police officers that are injured on the job also?

Just like soldiers they also chose a known risky career and swore to uphold the constitution.

That's another state level issue as the vast majority of police are state level and down.

I hate to break it to you and make you mind blown but some federal agencies operate under state level agencies known as umbrella agencies, thats all I will say on that but my question still stands. If we pay lifetime benefits for soldiers hurt on the job should we also pay lifetime benefits for other government employees that hurt on the job?

Still making it interesting
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:14:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I hate to break it to you and make you mind blown but some federal agencies operate under state level agencies known as umbrella agencies, thats all I will say on that but my question still stands. If we pay lifetime benefits for soldiers hurt on the job should we also pay lifetime benefits for other government employees that hurt on the job?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
[quot e]Quoted:
I think there should be some benefits for veterans.[/qu ote]

There is a difference between what military personnel sign up for and for what most other federal government employees sign up for.

I would have no problem with moving towards a long term disability insurance plan, like what I am currently paying into, for those other employees.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:19:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Every society has weak members...the old with no one to care for them, the disabled who are unable to make a decent living to even get the bare necessities, the young...etc..

At this point in our development we are past the point where we can leave these people for the wolves and I think we need a safety net for them....

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:21:26 PM EDT
[#7]
With lower taxes, people would be far more inclined to donate to private charity.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:23:14 PM EDT
[#8]

There is a difference between what military personnel sign up for and for what most other federal government employees sign up for.

I would have no problem with moving towards a long term disability insurance plan, like what I am currently paying into, for those other employees.
View Quote

In the case of government law enforcement and military personnel both chose known hazardous careers and both are paid by the government, whats fair for one is fair for the other IMO.

If we want it level across the board then it should be with bias.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:53:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

In the case of government law enforcement and military personnel both chose known hazardous careers and both are paid by the government, whats fair for one is fair for the other IMO.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Military is different.  You can't just wake up one morning and decide to quit.  You have made a much larger commitment than other other federal job.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:02:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Military is different.  You can't just wake up one morning and decide to quit.  You have made a much larger commitment than other other federal job.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both are chosen careers and if we want fairness on benefits and safety nets then it should in fact be fair across the board, when we start picking one entity to get this but not another then it is no longer fair.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:28:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Both are chosen careers and if we want fairness on benefits and safety nets then it should in fact be fair across the board, when we start picking one entity to get this but not another then it is no longer fair.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK, so when is the USPS going to deploy to AFG?

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:35:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Keep the benefits, but closely monitor what they're used for.  No spending them on cigs and beer or energy drinks at the local 7-11.  Good wholesome food only.  People shouldn't go hungry or homeless, but that's as far as my sympathy extends.
View Quote

Back in the 70's it used to be that way. If somebody got food stamps they couldn't even buy bananas because they weren't made in America. There was a very restricted list of things one could buy. If one was on welfare, they basically had to have nothing before they could get it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:04:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol...

There is a very distinct difference between policing one's own and defending one's country. I'd say it's a shame you can't see that, but do keep digging. Please.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 8:41:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Actually, I do.

I know this isn't popular with ARFcom groupthink, but I do.  I've known people who've needed it, have used it myself.

I wish there was a way to pay back funds that were used...I feel like I "owe"...We had food stamps for around 10 months, $168/month...and it helped us through a bad time.

Having said all that, I believe in moving the poor into ghettos.  

If you're going to live off of the government dime, then I demand the government be fiscally responsible.  Construct group housing and provide group feeding for those that can't provide for themselves.  Barracks style living.  Navy barracks, not that apartment-esque Air Force barracks.  Able bodied workers to muster in the mornings for whatever needs to be done...no work, no lodging.  I'm not talking "chain gangs"...but I don't see why people who aren't doing anything can't be put to work for their lodging.  And there's no reason why the work they do can't be training of some sort.

I'm sorry for the loss of "dignity"...but not that sorry.  To be honest, I don't care that much.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top