Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 12:28:10 PM EDT
[#1]
There is a key aspect to an electric motor that is very intriguing and could very much be advantageous to drag racing.  It makes flat torque and 100% torque across the entire RPM range.  So at 0 RPM you have 100% of available torque.   With internal combustion engines 0RPM = 0 Torque, requiring some sort of a clutch or torque converter to allow the engine to rev to a speed sufficient to make reasonable torque.   So in Top fuel you have a centrifugal clutch that allows the engine to be at close to full RPM off the start and then slowly locks up going down the track, meaning that not all of the power is being applied.   For guys running with automatic transmissions they put in a really high stall speed converter to allow the engine to be line locked at an RPM where it is capable of making good torque for launch.

Electric motors would be fantastic for the initial acceleration of a dragster provided the traction was there.   The challenge is on the top end where  you need HP, you can't make an electric motor with that much HP at a weight that is anywhere close to comparable to an internal combustion engine.   That is a big reason (along with battery capacity) why fully electric cars are limited to city driving and short ranges.   Hybrids are a much better technology that gives the best of both worlds.

Personally I'd love to see a Diesel Electric Hybrid dragster.  :)
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 12:38:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There's some old guy named DON GARLITS who is working on one right now.  He's currently working to break 200mph with the car.  I wouldn't bet against him find a way to make an electric dragster run with the fuel cars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xycfysAM7IY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xycfysAM7IY
View Quote

I know he is trying to make money on this......but Wtf is this "helpful to the planet" bullshit...?  Cant sit there with a straight face and say all the precious minerals for batteries etc and electricity generation is "helpful."  And, Don, the point of top fuel is.....its the TOP.  Not every schmo needs to be there.  Plenty of people with money to fund these cars.  Its a marketing problem that keeps them from doing it.  Lots of folks like a return based on shit and swag they sell.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 12:39:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Fast is fast, no matter how you get it done.

Nostalgia and aesthetics are for slow people.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 12:49:18 PM EDT
[#4]
The killer app for all electric cars in motorsport is being able to have tracks that aren't in the middle of nowhere due to far lower noise; you could probably run all electric alley cat Moto GP races in empty office parks on weekends.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 1:24:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Probably
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 1:27:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The only reason they are not already beating top fuel cars is no one has bothered to do it.
View Quote

To answer OP's question, not a chance. Power to weight will require completely new technology that is not even started today.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 1:33:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The killer app for all electric cars in motorsport is being able to have tracks that aren't in the middle of nowhere due to far lower noise; you could probably run all electric alley cat Moto GP races in empty office parks on weekends.
View Quote

That is true
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 1:41:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Given the short runs, maybe they'll use capacitors.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Battery technology isn't there.  Too heavy

Ultra-caps and Super-Caps have come a long way, but not sure they are going to have the total energy storage required to get down the track.  A key thing to remember is the difference between "Power" and "Energy."   Caps can deliver a lot of power over a very short time interval (maybe a couple of seconds, which could start to flirt with what is needed on a dragster).

Here is a great article from UC Berkley talking about why Li-ion batteries still dominate.   Ultra-caps do have some interest in heavy weight hybrids where regenerative breaking can charge the caps, then the quick discharge can get the vehicle moving again until the regular batteries take over.

http://berc.berkeley.edu/storage-wars-batteries-vs-supercapacitors/
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 1:45:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Don Garlits has been trying for over 2 years to reach the 200mph mark in the 1/4 mile
http://gas2.org/2015/03/06/electric-drag-racing-rivalry-rising-as-garlits-fails-to-hit-200-mph-again/
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 1:46:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Ah, the heartwarming sounds of Formula E.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zBFeAPSpbM

View Quote

They still sound like a pissed off R/C car.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 1:50:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The only reason they are not already beating top fuel cars is no one has bothered to do it.
View Quote

this

yes,
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 1:51:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Battery technology isn't there.  Too heavy

That is what they use. Instant dump of electricity.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 1:51:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Does anyone make an electric motor that will put out 8000-10000 hp?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Northrop Grumman Corporation have successfully load tested the most powerful electric motor ever tested by the U.S. Navy and the world’s first 36.5 megawatt (49,000 horsepower) high temperature superconductor (HTS) ship propulsion motor, double the Navy’s power rating test record.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:14:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Submarine and ship engines are electric. 30,000 HP is common.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:22:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Imagine a dragster with a maxed-out and dead flat torque curve..
View Quote

Came to post this.

Agree, they'd likely make it it's own class, but ultimately it should have no problem exceeding top fuel.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:50:23 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Quarter mile long 2 gauge extension cord?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not until battery technology has advanced significantly. Weight to power is going to be a limitation for a long time

Quarter mile long 2 gauge extension cord?
Slot car track.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 3:01:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is why I want an electric dirt bike. I could ride places close to neighborhoods or towns and not piss people off. (As much)
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 3:04:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Some interesting arguments posted, both for and against.
With current technology, the power-to-weight ratio math just doesn't work.

T/F car weighs 2350#.  Figure the engine/clutch is about one third of that.
Until an electric drive source can produce 10,000 horsepower and weigh no more than 800# total, ain't gonna happen.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 3:17:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Who cares if they do?

They have no soul.
View Quote

That's what the steam engine guys said about stinky gas, and the horse guys before them (and they actually kind of had a point).
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 3:19:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 3:19:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm sure it's possible, but pointless. There's no thrill in a roaring electric motor
View Quote

Depends on if you're an electric geek.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 3:20:52 PM EDT
[#22]
With the rapid advances being made in rare-earth magnet motor and high discharge rate capacitor technology, it's entirely feasible.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 3:34:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Damn!  Thats a really good point.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 3:36:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Smokey would be all up in that biatch because there's a million loopholes and things rule makers never thought of.

You ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As a former competitor and lifelong fan, I can tell you this:
I will NEVER spend a dime to see an electric powered speed competition.  Fuck that.

Smokey Yunick, Keith Black are rolling over in their graves.
Bob Glidden, Robert Yates too... and they ain't dead yet

Smokey would be all up in that biatch because there's a million loopholes and things rule makers never thought of.

You ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin!

...and it's only cheatin' if you get caught.

Ahem
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 4:11:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
A guy at work was talking about this.  While it seems inevitable on the surface, the NHRA restricts the shit out of fuel classes for safety.  And at those power levels, I'd guess the weakest link is always going to be traction.  So an electric motor seems kind of pointless until the other issues are sorted out.  
View Quote

Electric motors have a huge advantage in terms of ability to control traction because the electronics driving the speed control can work much more quickly and effectively than ignition cutting or modulating a fly by wire system used on a internal combustion engine.

Imagine a top fuel dragster with no spin at all and that's basically what we are talking about.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 4:19:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Fuel cars are held back by the NHRA. They've got a limit in their head on how fast the cars should be. If they run faster then they find a way to slow them down. Its somewhere around 335-337mph and they will change the rules to slow the cars down. I don't see an electric car beating a top fuel car anytime soon.
View Quote

Just once I would like to see how fast a top fuel car could be made to go in an actual 1/4 mile.

No limits except for the bravery of the team and driver.

Put them on a damn runway like they used for spaceshuttle landing in Florida.   Plenty of wide open space and let them go.

Also would love to see what could be done in a standing mile.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 4:21:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Top Fuel standing mile. That I'd pay money to watch.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 4:21:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Yes.
Advancements in technology - how does that work?
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 4:28:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Just once I would like to see how fast a top fuel car could be made to go in an actual 1/4 mile.

Put them on a damn runway like they used for spaceshuttle landing in Florida.   Plenty of wide open space and let them go.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuel cars are held back by the NHRA. They've got a limit in their head on how fast the cars should be. If they run faster then they find a way to slow them down. Its somewhere around 335-337mph and they will change the rules to slow the cars down. I don't see an electric car beating a top fuel car anytime soon.

As it they're geared now (3.00:1) no where near enough gear to run a full mile.
At 1000' and full clutch lock-up, they're turning almost 9000rpm.
With the sheer volume of fuel running through those things at that engine speed, 'stuff' can go wrong in a big hurry.

There have been some bad kabooms that punctured the rear tires (as the engine is directly in front of the tires)
Scattering shrapnel instantly delaminating the tires at 320mph+ gets guys killed.
Blaine Johnson, Rest in peace

Point is, they're pushing the outter most rpm limit as it is now.
Without a LOT more gear (which would complicate clutch heat management) they can't run much farther than they do now.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 4:30:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Yes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Yes.

Agreed, but I still stand by this:

Quoted:

Until an electric drive source can produce 10,000 horsepower and weigh no more than 800# total, ain't gonna happen.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 4:36:33 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View Quote
This, the energy released is approaching rail gun proportions so figure big super capacitors of some type, but then you have to make it light, compact and Oh BTW you need a 8-10K horsepower motor that will survive more than one surge of energy that rivals Thor's lightning strike....and that also has to be extremely light.

At work once we mated up a couple 3500 horse electric motors to the pumps we made.  I supervised the unloading of the trucks that had the motors, The 20 ton high bay crane was maxed out unloading one of those units.  

If you can make an electric dragster that keeps up with a fuel car....drag racing will be the least of the uses of the technology.  

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 4:42:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

this, i remember back in the 90's they said if the teams were allowed to run the lower rear end ratio they used to, the cars would be going 350+ in the 1/4.  its also why they've shortened the track for the top fuel cars to 1000', except that had some to do with some of the historic places they race not having a long enough shutdown area for the faster cars, so instead of dropping the venues they've been racing at for years, they neutered the 1/4 mile a bit.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 4:46:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I will NEVER spend a dime to see an electric powered speed competition.  Fuck that.

View Quote

uh, no.  smokey was huge into renewable and alternate energy after he got out of racing.  spent a bunch of his own money and time working on his own inventions, and was quite concerned about how the next couple of generations would treat the planet.  he received hundreds of patents over the years for various engineering inventions, all with no formal engineering or science education
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 4:51:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Yes, but it won't matter.

Rockets are where it's at!!
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 4:52:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

uh, no.  smokey was huge into renewable and alternate energy after he got out of racing.  spent a bunch of his own money and time working on his own inventions, and was quite concerned about how the next couple of generations would treat the planet.  he received hundreds of patents over the years for various engineering inventions, all with no formal engineering or science education
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No kidding?
I was not aware of that.

Still one of my childhood heroes
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 4:53:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

With the sheer volume of fuel running through those things at that engine speed, 'stuff' can go wrong in a big hurry.

There have been some bad kabooms that punctured the rear tires (as the engine is directly in front of the tires)
Scattering shrapnel instantly delaminating the tires at 320mph+ gets guys killed.

Without a LOT more gear (which would complicate clutch heat management) they can't run much farther than they do now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh I am aware.

It is like cars optimized for 1/8 mile versus 1/4 mile.

Using that engine to pull to max RPM within a set distance while considering gears/shifts.

Also helps be more consistent if you are gonna just rev the shit out of it and are able to shift consistently given you can hook up.

Buddy of mine bracket raced quite successfully before changing to heads up.    How he tuned that car to be right on the ragged edge at a 1/4 mile is pretty cool.

Also tires at 300+mph is a whole different state than trying to run them even faster over 4 times as much distance.    The salt flat guys are brave and nutty.

But I still cannot help but wonder what a top fuel flying mile would be like.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 4:55:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Agreed... the Bonneville guys are nuckin' futz
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 4:56:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
This, the energy released is approaching rail gun proportions so figure big super capacitors of some type, but then you have to make it light, compact and Oh BTW you need a 8-10K horsepower motor that will survive more than one surge of energy that rivals Thor's lightning strike....and that also has to be extremely light.

At work once we mated up a couple 3500 horse electric motors to the pumps we made.  I supervised the unloading of the trucks that had the motors, The 20 ton high bay crane was maxed out unloading one of those units.  

If you can make an electric dragster that keeps up with a fuel car....drag racing will be the least of the uses of the technology.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

those applications aren't exactly applicable because they are probably 3500 horsepower at like 1200 rpm, and a shitton of torque.  a top fuel engine peaks around 7400 ft-lbs of torque, imagine if you could get somewhere close, like 6000 ft-lbs or so which would be available just off idle and could also be electronically modulated for traction control, and you could definitely get close.  

i certainly doubt everyone is going to just say "eh, seems too hard, not gonna bother"  someone will do it eventually.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 4:58:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Maybe, but nobody will care.

There's maybe ten guys at a top fuel event that care about the times.  The rest are just there for one of the most incredible shows man puts on without space suits.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 5:00:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

No kidding?
I was not aware of that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No kidding?
I was not aware of that.

read "Best Damn Garage in Town: My Life and Adventures"

sort of stream of consciousness and he tells a lot of stories several times, but its kinda like sitting in the garage there with him listening to his stories.  after he gets done cursing Bill France, he talks about his endeavors after racing and the things he got into.  seems like a fascinating guy, would have loved to have met him.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 5:05:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Yep,
Smokey/Bill

Oil/Water

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 5:27:19 PM EDT
[#42]
bring back the oxygen dragsters Like everything else that was cool in the 70's and 80' these are now banned in the US.
I did see Vanishing Point make a pass on the tiny York US30 dragstrip 1978 though
http://www.tecaeromex.com/ingles/drag-i.html
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 5:45:45 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
This is why I want an electric dirt bike. I could ride places close to neighborhoods or towns and not piss people off. (As much)
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

KTM has them; not sure if they're selling in the US.

http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-reviews/ktm/2013-ktm-freeride-e-ar147502.html

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 5:54:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

me too.

Heck, if they removed any restrictions from the current setup they'd be able to pick up some.

Ditch the 14-71 for a screw blower and there's another couple hundred horsepower.

Bail on the superchargers and run turbos . . .
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:05:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-reviews/ktm/2013-ktm-freeride-e-ar147502.html

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not for US sale yet. Yamaha is also working on an electric dual sport or enduro type bike. I rode the Zero supermoto and was impressed with it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:14:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
bring back the oxygen dragsters Like everything else that was cool in the 70's and 80' these are now banned in the US.
I did see Vanishing Point make a pass on the tiny York US30 dragstrip 1978 though
View Quote

Bring back quarter mile top fuel.  

I watched Kalitta blow up live and in person at E-town.  I grew up going to E-town.  My dad watched guys race at E-town and I see their sons running those same cars these days.  I love E-town.  But goddammit, E-town and a VERY FEW other parks are the plugs in the asshole of progress.  They can't or won't expand.  Speed limits on jet cars and the ban on rocket cars was kind of silly for a sport like drag racing but they're sideshows. When the big game has to chop it's dick off at a thousand feet though it's time to start thinking about maybe letting go those drag strips that can't hack it.

Then again, I don't really think E-town is unsafe for top fuel quarter mile runs.  I think people let their feelings run a little wild with decision making after Kalitta, like they do with every goddamn thing anymore.  Drag racing is fucking dangerous.  People will die racing top fuel at a thousand feet, what then, five hundred?
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:30:05 PM EDT
[#47]

I have been to big daddy don garlits museum, pretty damn cool place. It was a long time ago and I remember sitting on one of his bikes.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:36:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like you'd like the Bonneville speed trials.

http://bonnevillespeedtrials.com/news/

NHRA has realized that going fast is fun and exciting for their fans, but that generally the fan base doesn't like it when drivers die.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:38:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Not for US sale yet. Yamaha is also working on an electric dual sport or enduro type bike. I rode the Zero supermoto and was impressed with it.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Harley Davidson is working on one as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuhPZTrSmBw
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 8:32:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I watched Kalitta blow up live and in person at E-town.  I grew up going to E-town.  My dad watched guys race at E-town and I see their sons running those same cars these days.  I love E-town.  But goddammit, E-town and a VERY FEW other parks are the plugs in the asshole of progress.  They can't or won't expand.  Speed limits on jet cars and the ban on rocket cars was kind of silly for a sport like drag racing but they're sideshows. When the big game has to chop it's dick off at a thousand feet though it's time to start thinking about maybe letting go those drag strips that can't hack it.

Then again, I don't really think E-town is unsafe for top fuel quarter mile runs.  I think people let their feelings run a little wild with decision making after Kalitta, like they do with every goddamn thing anymore.  Drag racing is fucking dangerous.  People will die racing top fuel at a thousand feet, what then, five hundred?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree, I also miss the 1320 but after reading interviews form the drivers most are in favor of 1000'
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top