BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:25:01 PM EDT
[#1]
T.,
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:25:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, I was stationed at Fort Campbell, KY in 2-327th Infantry. We knew we'd be going to war.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:25:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I was driving into my office early and flipped on my radio.... Surreal doesn't quite describe it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:26:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Hell, I was 48 on 911. I was watching it live on Fox News. I had a few days off and was glued to the TV non-stop.

Seems most of the stuff out there now has been 'sanitized - for our protection'.

You have to look long and hard to find the videos of the people that jumped or the noise they made when they hit the roof. The MSM won't even show the video of the planes hitting the buildings anymore. Must be 'racist' or some pathetic shit.

I'll never forget that morning...and I'll never forgive those cocksuckers that were involved.

Never forget...
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:26:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I was in 2nd grade and remember seeing it on the news when I got home that day.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:27:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Next up in GD: thread titles that make you feel old.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:27:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Freshmen in college.  Left my first class and was walking into my dorm and seeing the news of the first airplane hitting. A couple minutes later, the second plane hit.  Ran upstairs and woke up my room,ages and we watched until we saw a report that the pentagon got hit.  Went up to the roof deck and saw the smoke snapped some pictures (they are framed and on the wall in our master bedroom (I never want to forget).  Due to that experience, I will have always donated 100 percent of my corporate profits to military charities in the month of September.  This September will mark the 10th anniversary that I have been fortunate enough to give.  Every time I write the checks I shed some tears for those that have sacrificed so much on that day and in the years since.  Just thinking about it still fills me with rage.  I also retread the book I have on Rick Rescorla and it reminds me all that is great about America.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:29:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I was living on Tybee Island at the time.

I was on my way to the dentist in Savannah and my best friend up in Atlanta called me and told me a plane had hit the WTC.  We both figured it was some idiot pilot fucking up.

A few minutes later, he called me back to tell me that another plane hit.  We both understood at that moment what was happening.

When I got to the dentist office, it was unreal.  Every TV was on the news and they were showing the planes hitting over and over.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:32:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I was 23 and in college after serving in the USAF.  Woke up Tuesday morning to some joker outside the dorm telling me that a plane flew into the World Trade Center.  I dismissed him until I got to class--it was a history class with my advisor and we had TVs in the classroom.  We watched live as the second tower was hit.  Early classes were dismissed after that, and a large group of students watched the news unfold on the big screen in the campus union building.  When the towers collapsed everyone was asking me questions about what was happening and what we should do.  As I recall I just said to watch and pray.  I was completely dumbstruck--it had only been six months earlier that my little sister was at my alma mater high school when some jackass student started shooting people.

That whole year was pretty surreal, but the semester following the attacks was especially bad.  I still have a physical copy of USA Today from 9/12.

If we as a nation had defined a more concrete military objective then I would've reupped in a blink--in fact I battled with wanting to cross over to a ground fighting unit.  Some of my friends joined up for the first time after graduation and are still giving good service to this day.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:35:38 PM EDT
[#10]
25 and floating in the Med with the 24th MEU.  I remember watching the towers fall in the wardroom and the ship (USS Kearsarge) getting all the ship's defense weapons up and running.  Interesting few weeks thereafter....
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:36:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I had worked night shift the night prior... had gone to sleep about 0700.
Woke up around 0830 and couldn't sleep, still don't know why... walked to couch, turned on TV for droning noise to knock me back out.

Didn't get another lick of sleep that day.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:37:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Yep. I was 19, living on my own and had the day off from my job at the car dealership. Woke up early for some reason, made a bowl of apple jacks and turned on the tv right as the 2nd plane hit.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:37:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I was only 37.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:39:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Watched second plane from a vantage point in Brooklyn. Then they called us in and deployed us to Manhattan.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:39:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hell, I was 48 on 911. I was watching it live on Fox News. I had a few days off and was glued to the TV non-stop.

Seems most of the stuff out there now has been 'sanitized - for our protection'.

You have to look long and hard to find the videos of the people that jumped or the noise they made when they hit the roof. The MSM won't even show the video of the planes hitting the buildings anymore. Must be 'racist' or some pathetic shit.

I'll never forget that morning...and I'll never forgive those cocksuckers that were involved.

Never forget...
View Quote

The first several posts were all kids, I thought I was going to have to check in with the oldest guy on the forum thread.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:40:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Was there (FDNY since 95)  
View Quote

Want to send you a heartfelt thank you for your service. I couldn't imagine what you went through that day
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:40:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Yea I remember it, every fucking day.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:44:43 PM EDT
[#18]
I was unemployed at the time, and had two interviews scheduled that day.  I was getting dressed while watching the news.

My first thought was "That tower is going to collapse, and a lot of people are going to die."  My second thought was "This country is never going to be the same again."  Unfortunately, I was right on both counts.

The death toll, while horrific, was far less than I expected.  And the impact on our freedoms was far worse than I expected,.

I still can't watch videos of people leaping from the towers without tears running down my face.  I've said this before, and I'll say it again:  if I could have, I would have killed every one of the motherfuckers who did this with my bare hands.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:46:36 PM EDT
[#19]
I was twenty. I heard it on the radio on the way to my paramedic class in Michigan. As I got out of my car, some of my classmates were walking out of class and told me that class was cancelled. We went to get some food and stayed glued to the television. Then, we went back to one of my classmate's condos and watched the news all day and night.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:49:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Yep. I was in 5th grade but I will never forget seeing it on the news and telling my parents to come see. I guess they left the TV on one of the new stations and I just happened to keep watching.

They didn't really believe me until they came in and saw the coverage themselves. That will stick with me forever.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:51:17 PM EDT
[#21]
I was at home, out of the Army 4 years, 33 years old, 3 kids...took a year to get back in shape, re-enlisted and went to war like men should do when your country is attacked.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:52:57 PM EDT
[#22]
I was stationed on the USS Inchon in Ingleside, TX.  We had just gotten back from a WESTPAC cruise on the 1st.  Half the crew was on leave.  I walked into my shop, and everyone was watching it on TV...It was unreal.  Shortly after the second plane hit, they completely locked down the one entrance/exit to the base with concrete barriers.  We weren't allowed to go home for a week.  I was one of the handful of .50 operators, so I was put on 8hrs on/8hrs off watch on the flight deck with the .50, or the M-60.  I will never forget that day....

Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:54:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:56:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Was at work and turned to look at the shop PC that had AOL news page up and showed a clear blue sky... That is when I knew it was a terrorist act unfolding.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 9:00:51 PM EDT
[#25]
I was in high school and the idiot principal had all the TV feeds killed.  We had NO idea what had happened until late in the day.  This was before smart phones so there was no way of looking into it ourselves.  Got home after a while and dad was grilling and said simply "well, looks like we'll be sending that goat-herding SOB to hell."  Won't ever forget.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 9:03:38 PM EDT
[#26]
4th grade at the time so about 10 years old. It was confusing, but I still understood what was going on. Even for me being such a young age I still vividly remember my teacher telling us that something big had happened and we needed to watch the news with our parents when we got home, a mild confusion/panic outisde in the carpool area, people watching the news at the music shop where I took guitar lessons, and finally figuring out what happened by watching the news back at home.

ETA: I also remembered long lines at all the gas stations. That took me a long time to understand
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 9:05:10 PM EDT
[#27]
I was on my way to work. On canyon road heading downtown to work listening to the morning news on talk radio. It was a gorgeous morning. They said a small commuter plane had hit the WTC and all the while I could hear yahoo messenger in the background blinging like nobody's business as the host kept changing the story.

I got to work and flipped on the TV. When we saw the hole we all knew it was no commuter plane that hit and then the second plane hit. It was flat out surreal. I called my wife and woke her up and told her to turn on the news and pray for the people of NY. Then I watched as people jumped to their deaths. I can't watch those images to this day. I prayed alot that morning.

I entertained thoughts of going to the recruiter. I have a disease and could never make it through the physical. I want to give a heartfelt thanks to every soldier out there that served up some payback for that day. May God bless you and keep you.

Link Posted: 8/23/2013 9:06:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Yup. In college at the time. It was a fucking weird day to say the least.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 9:07:42 PM EDT
[#29]
I was a 20 year old PFC stationed at Fort Benning. I had just gotten out of the shower to see the second plane hit. We locked down Benning pretty damn quick after that. That afternoon I made the decision to stay in the Army until one of 3 things happened. I would either be killed, stay in until my body gave out or I retired. Turned out that my body giving out would make me be forced to retire after 12 1/2 years and 4 deployments.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 9:12:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I was 12 and in 7th grade on 9/11/01. Anyone else a kid at that time?

Today I listened to a 2 hour recording of the ATC radios and 9/11 felt more real again. At 12 years old Zoolander and Oceans Eleven felt more real than the news that was unfolding on the opposite coast.

Anyone now in their 20's still trying to figure it all out? Did you ever feel detached from it, yet still aware of it?
Does it ever make you mad?
View Quote

Same thing here. I was in 7th grade and we stayed in the same class all day watching tv coverage. I can still remember my teacher saying "kids pay attention, your children will learn about this day in history class". None of it really clicked for me until we watched the first tower go and I watched my basketball coach and other teachers start to cry and cuss.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 9:13:11 PM EDT
[#31]
I was 20. Remember it like it was yesterday. Still hard to grasp the magnitude of what happened that day.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 9:14:03 PM EDT
[#32]
I was walking down my hall to go to my car to drive to high school when my parents called me into their room as I was passing.  This was in OR and it was still dark...  They had the news on.  I watched for about 5 min... then I had to leave to make it to school.  I had the radio on on my way but there wasn't very many details.  I think only the first plane had hit at that point.

The whole day at schools was in kinda a fog because we had no information.  The teachers weren't telling us anything... the lessons were continuing as normal and no mention of what was going on was made.  It was kinda surreal... a feeling like the nation may be under attack and I'm out of the loop.  It wasn't until I got home that I saw the replays.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 9:18:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Was a freshman in high school
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Vividly.

Was a freshman in high school

Same, both counts.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 9:22:56 PM EDT
[#34]
I was working in a manufacturing plant that produced large sections of two of the planes that crashed that beautiful Tuesday morning.  I will never forget.  

God bless those that have perished and those that continue to fight.

Link Posted: 8/23/2013 9:26:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Yup, working as a mechanic the lead welder comes up and tells me the 401K is gonna tank because a plane hit one of the twin towers, I'm thinking Cessna, right ? The Snap On truck rolls in and he had a little tv and I saw the second plane hit. It was bad.

Link Posted: 8/23/2013 9:27:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Yes, it's my birthday. I was 13 turning 14
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 9:28:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Sleeping in a few days before my freshman classes at college were to start. Got a phone call from my step dad a few time zones over about a plane hitting the WTC. I thanked him, rolled over and went back to sleep. New York is on the other side of the country from me. It sucked, but frankly had little to do with me.

Got another phone call (forget who) talking about it and learned the actual size of the aircraft in question. I got up.

Got the tv turned on and shortly thereafter saw the second plane hit.

Grimly I went and got a pad of paper and a pen and began taking notes to send out to my dad (at work) to keep him updated.

I knew:

-We were at war
  -This would be my generation's Pearl Harbor
  -There were more coming that day

Got a call from my best friend (now husband) who wanted to make sure I was staying out of the city that day. I had no reason to go, but had already planned to stay away. We were asked to get off the phone because his dad had apparently been on his way to the airport for a business trip. We hung up in a hurry.

I had every confidence that our armed forces would be on this and that we would get the honor-less scumbags who had committed these murders. I was angry...not the random rage mode angry. Just laser focused on the only acceptable outcome angry.

/I was proud of how the country pulled together.
//I was bitterly disappointed and sickened with our "leaders" when the Patriot Act was announced.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 9:29:23 PM EDT
[#38]
3rd grade, playing with Legos in the living room.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 9:35:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 9:38:25 PM EDT
[#40]
2nd grade. Remember it vividly.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 9:41:33 PM EDT
[#41]
34, woke by a phone call to turn on tv. Saw the second plane hit live. It took a second, but then I knew. I watched coverage for a while and realized I had to go into the office and determine a course of action for our business. CEO was out and I had to run things. He was stuck half way across the country and after a week, ended up buying a car to drive home. All the rentals were gone!

It was eerie. People were seriously looking over their shoulders and ready to fight. We had Paki and other middle eastern IT people on visas working for us. They were all really spooked. I think one guy left for good. Others left to "check on family" back "home".

Part of our operation was a large call center that normally received thousands of calls a day from all over the country. It was dead. No calls for a solid week. People were in shock.

I can remember flying after 9/11 - Everyone eyeballed everybody. It was quiet. Certain people would look at you and nod - like "I know you're a good guy - I've got your back you've got mine".

In 2002 I walked around Manhattan and ground zero. Many of the side streets still had debris and high debris marks on the sides of the buildings. I sat outside of the battery park Ritz Carlton staring out at lady liberty, just thinking...and taking in what I'd seen.

Link Posted: 8/23/2013 9:49:35 PM EDT
[#42]
even though i was in second grade i still remeber it like yesterday... my teacher had us watch it on the tv all day long
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 9:50:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Today I listened to a 2 hour recording of the ATC radios and 9/11 felt more real again. At 12 years old Zoolander and Oceans Eleven felt more real than the news that was unfolding on the opposite coast.

Anyone now in their 20's still trying to figure it all out? Did you ever feel detached from it, yet still aware of it?
View Quote

http://archive.org/details/911/day/20010911
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 9:59:41 PM EDT
[#44]
I was carpooling with my boss to work when we heard a radio report about the first plane.   Like most everyone else, I wasn't paying much attention to details and figured it was some halfwit in a Cessna who had converted his midlife crisis to aluminum rain.

Not long after getting to work, we saw the second plane hit and then reports started coming in about the Pentagon, etc.   I will never forget the sick feeling of despair and horror in my guts as I watched people dying and not knowing what other terrible things were unfolding across the country, whether we would stop it, whether we COULD stop it.  I remember my boss saying it was probably Bin Laden.  

Thank God that was back when we had a real President.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 10:11:44 PM EDT
[#45]
That day shaped my entire adult life..  Lots of time behind a rifle, and a lot more to come.  What I remember most vividly was that it was such a beautiful fall day in DC.  Anytime I'm outside on a gorgeous cool day, that's all I can think about.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 10:15:35 PM EDT
[#46]
It's sad that you even have to ask this question.

Not because you are sad, but because many in their twenties now don't understand or care.

I was in my twenties when it happened and every moment of that day and the week beyond is burned into my memory.

At the time, it helped fuel my interest in military style rifles and I found ARFCOM not long after.

No forgetting. No forgiving. Ever.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 10:19:18 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

34, woke by a phone call to turn on tv. Saw the second plane hit live. It took a second, but then I knew. I watched coverage for a while and realized I had to go into the office and determine a course of action for our business. CEO was out and I had to run things. He was stuck half way across the country and after a week, ended up buying a car to drive home. All the rentals were gone!

View Quote

It was eerie. People were seriously looking over their shoulders and ready to fight. We had Paki and other middle eastern IT people on visas working for us. They were all really spooked. I think one guy left for good. Others left to "check on family" back "home".

Part of our operation was a large call center that normally received thousands of calls a day from all over the country. It was dead. No calls for a solid week. People were in shock.

I can remember flying after 9/11 - Everyone eyeballed everybody. It was quiet. Certain people would look at you and nod - like "I know you're a good guy - I've got your back you've got mine".

In 2002 I walked around Manhattan and ground zero. Many of the side streets still had debris and high debris marks on the sides of the buildings. I sat outside of the battery park Ritz Carlton staring out at lady liberty, just thinking...and taking in what I'd seen.

I had a meeting in the Bay Area about a week after the airlines started flying again. I landed at San Francisco International and walked into the terminal...and there were armed US troops patrolling...carrying M-4s.

That had to be one of the most vivid experiences in all my 60 years of being an American. Armed US troops in an American airport.

I realized in that moment....the world as we knew it...had taken a turn towards the surreal.

Link Posted: 8/23/2013 10:24:38 PM EDT
[#48]
I got off work at 6am.  my wife waited until the second aircraft hit the towers to wake me.  I watched them being built from my bedroom window as a kid, I watched them fall as well.  Rest of the day was spent getting my gear together for work since we expected to be going steady for the next few days
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 10:24:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Same age as you. I remember watching the 2nd plane hit the tower live on tv and us kinda chuckling because we really had no idea what was going on. Fast forward to today I wake up every morning looking at the picture of the 3 NYC ff's raising the flag and think about their sacrifices and pray for them all. 343 we will never forget!
I was in NYC 4-5 years ago and we visited ground zero and nypd and nyfd were doing some kind of drill around the area and between looking at ground zero and back at an officer I went to him shook his hand said thanks and just give him a big ole hug. I was very teary eyed mixed with emotions.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 10:30:17 PM EDT
[#50]
I remember where I was, every moment of it.  I will never forget it.

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top