User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:24:40 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I bought a '06 GT , it was cheap and has had no issues.

230hp and a 5-speed , I don't give a shit what it looks like cause it smokes hondas alllll dayyyy.

I think the paint color is banana creme , I may paint it camo with spray cans and add a bolt face decal.

Who cares.

Smokes Hondas huh?

You never say that outloud in front of people do you?

Yes , I do.

But , mostly just the greasy kids with the buzz-bombs.

ETA- since I'm not a chick, I didn't give a shit what it looked like, or that it drinks gas like a v-8, or even that it rides like a truck and has a turning radius like one.

My only regrets are that it is not rear drive and it does not have an LSD.

Don't let them get you down. I really want a 5 speed PT GT. The MP SRT4 stage II kits are a bolt on with the PTs which makes for  a lot of fun from what I have read. Talk about a sleeper. There is a guy up in Canada with one putting out 500HP.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:26:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Really wierd car to drive.  I thought my P.T. rental car was a POS.  Really underpowered.  Huge turning radius.  Controls were in ackward places.  I didn't like it.  Not comfortable either.

I agree with this.  The exwoman had one
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:29:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Obvious economy car is obviously economical.  If you're expecting top class leather seats or acceleration you'll be disappointed.  You'll also be classified as retarded though.  As a commuter car budget box it is fine.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:34:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Nobody has pointed out that you can take the back seats completely out !

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:46:47 PM EDT
[#5]
It's a Neon with a POS cover.  Avoid it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:52:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Really crappy car. We needed a new car a few years ago for my wife to drive daily and to take on occasional trips. My wife did have a Honda CRV that she never liked for some reason. Since I had encouraged her to get the Honda and had heard a crap-load of complaints since, this time I told her "I'll go along with whatever you want to get as long as it isn't made by GM". BIG mistake... She wanted the PT Cruiser and I bit my tongue and went along–– VERY big mistake. Where do I begin?

uncomfortable seats
lack of front-seat leg room
awkward controls
wimpy engine
crappy gas mileage (I thought wimpy cars got good mileage–– not this one)
looks like a fag car
blind spots
low windshield (the top of the windshield is right at eye-level–– you have to actually bend over to see the traffic light if you are first in line)
small "trunk" area

If I really thought about it, I'm sure I could come up with other drawbacks. The only good things I can think of are that it had decent back-seat leg room and also came with XM radio. I know the car is an econo-box, but so was the CRV and it was a much better car. Stay away from the PT Loser.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:14:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
I bought a '06 GT , it was cheap and has had no issues.

230hp and a 5-speed , I don't give a shit what it looks like cause it smokes hondas alllll dayyyy.

I think the paint color is banana creme , I may paint it camo with spray cans and add a bolt face decal.

Who cares.

Smokes Hondas huh?

You never say that outloud in front of people do you?

Yes , I do.

But , mostly just the greasy kids with the buzz-bombs.

ETA- since I'm not a chick, I didn't give a shit what it looked like, or that it drinks gas like a v-8, or even that it rides like a truck and has a turning radius like one.

My only regrets are that it is not rear drive and it does not have an LSD.

Don't let them get you down. I really want a 5 speed PT GT. The MP SRT4 stage II kits are a bolt on with the PTs which makes for  a lot of fun from what I have read. Talk about a sleeper. There is a guy up in Canada with one putting out 500HP.  

I keep forgeting that mine isn't the typical PT.Even the limited editions with the turbo only have 180hp and most of them are automatics.

Nothing like finding a nice twisty road and clipping apexes and rowing through the gears while listening to the cracle of the exhaust going in and the whistle of the turbo powering out.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:32:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Really wierd car to drive.  I thought my P.T. rental car was a POS.  Really underpowered.  Huge turning radius.  Controls were in ackward places.  I didn't like it.  Not comfortable either.

This.

Drove a couple of rentals while traveling.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:45:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the advice. I'll relay it all to her.

If it helps at all she's a very small 4'-10" tall woman who is 21 years old and looks to be about 14. She needs a car to get to work and run around with her friends. Her last car that she was driving was a 1998 Ford Explorer.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:30:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Had one as a rental after the wife unit totaled one of our cars, we both hated the ever living f**k out of it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:31:55 PM EDT
[#11]
We had oen as a ling term rental.

Horrible car, crappy handling, underpowered, and just not fun to deal with
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 12:02:46 AM EDT
[#12]
My mom had one ~3 years ago, up until she died.
Not anything particularly special about it, IMO. I don't recall any major problems, but she didn't drive it real far either.

One thing I do remember: the front brakes made a terrible grinding noise unless you bought one brand of disks that cost 3X what the other brands cost.
~
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 12:12:47 AM EDT
[#13]
try replacing the radiator or the PCM or the timing belt...if anyone is mechanic savy they will know what im talking about...DONT GET ONE...
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 12:17:25 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hate those things.  I have two on my lot right now.  They're built on the Neon chassis and are an enormous pile of trash... much like the Neon.

On the other hand, there's one in town that's got several, several thousands of dollars worth of work and it blew the doors off my 911 in a drag race.

Actually , they are not built on the neon chassis .

Really?  I've accepted that as gospel for years.  Learn something new every day I guess.  Doesn't change my opinion of them though.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 12:20:53 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

If it helps at all she's a very small 4'-10" tall woman who is 21 years old and looks to be about 14. She needs a car to get to work and run around with her friends. Her last car that she was driving was a 1998 Ford Explorer.
She sounds like she's looking for something cute.

Try a Miata.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 1:23:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Whoever designed the PT Cruiser should be tortured, THEN executed.

Among other things, the most uncomfortable seats ever put in a passenger car.  

There is no good in a PT Cruiser.  None.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:03:29 AM EDT
[#17]
I drove my mom's 2002 4-banger a few times and had the same experience as everyone else here. Horrible turn radius and slow as a motherfucker. Not a very likable car.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:04:37 AM EDT
[#18]
I saw some real hotties in a PT cruiser the other day. Real head turners.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:31:50 AM EDT
[#19]
i've had one for 8 years.  meh.  I haven't had any problems until this year when the foglight switch started turning
itself on in the driveway.  (flatted the battery a couple times before i figured it out. )

heavy.  underpowered. Some of the later models have a turbo or a supercharger which helps a bit.  seems a little
noisy at speed.  very mediocre  gas mileage. the alloy wheels develop microcracking after about 5 or six years
causing the tires to lose pressure, but an epoxy recoat of the  rims fixes that.   But one thing i really like is that
it can carry a metric shit-ton of cargo for a vehicle its size.

Other than the foglight and wheel things, i've had zero problems with it.

[edit] the rear seats are 60/40 and can be folded or removed singly or together.  This is how it gets the yooge cargo volume.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:32:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I saw some real hotties in a PT cruiser the other day. Real head turners.

They were gay , believe it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:43:29 AM EDT
[#21]
My company has a fleet of them and we hate them, and it gets lousy gas mileage for a little 4 cylinder. I get about 18 MPG and it's all highway driving.

They're not cheap to repair either.

I'm not a fan.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:47:06 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I had one of these as a rental in Hawaii. It was the only bad part of the trip (but I muddled through :))

That car is called a "PT Loser" for a reason.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:49:26 AM EDT
[#23]
They are the suck.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:14:49 AM EDT
[#24]
A friend bought one shortly before leaving for grad school, three weeks later he caught a nasty case of teh ghey.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:34:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm driving one right now as a loaner. Bad controls, bad handling, tranny whine, underpowered. It's basically a dodge Neon with a body kit and different interior, hip with the senior citizens, and it sucks ass ass far as I can tell.

its a NEON!

No, they aren't Neons, they share certain chassis parts, but otherwise they are two very different cars, the drive train is different,  they share only a few chrysler corporate shared parts, and that is it.

A Neon may be an economy car, but it is a fine example of an economy car. The Neons were not underpowered, they were not known for transmission issues, even after high miles, they have a reputation for head gasket failure, but that reputation is not really deserved.

Besides, you make it sound like owning a Neon is a bad thing? How many of those have you owned?

Yeah, really!

I've got an '04 NEON and it's been a great car. We got it for the fuel economy. It's a 5 speed manual and gets around 38mpg. 85,000 miles and going strong. We have had no issues at all with it. If they still made them I would buy another one down the line.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:58:48 AM EDT
[#26]

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:16:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:30:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Take her to test drive a Ford Escape, sits up off the ground, 4 cylinder, good gas mileage for what it is(my ex-gf's got about 26 mpg). They also come in 4WD or with a V6 or a hybrid even. Chrysler would have to pay me to drive one of those PTs around, besides it being baboon ass ugly it's made by freaking Chrysler, worst quality and reliability of just about any manufacturer out there.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top