Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:32:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I kind of want to start a cult. Seems like a good way to get rich and have like 27 wives.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:34:31 PM EDT
[#2]
My aunt / godmother (no blood relation –– married my dad's brother).  Her and her husband lived up in the moutains, really nice property.  We would visit and go walking in the woods.  We found this small camp with strange figures made out of sticks with herbs and incense in pouches hanging from trees.  My aunt would seemingly jokingly tell us that there were witches out there doing rituals.  We didn't learn until about 10 years later, shortly after she ran off on her husband with the witch cult leader that she was actually some kind of occultist practitioner and belonged to some strange witch cult.  Haven't heard from or seen her since.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:36:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I have family worshipping in the Cult of Obama.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:36:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I know a lot of people in cults, but they refer to it as religion.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:39:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I almost did. Luckily I've read the bible cover to cover, so I bailed when it got too weird.

Lol Wow.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:42:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I almost did. Luckily I've read the bible cover to cover, so I bailed when it got too weird.

Lol Wow.

I don't think there's a Christian alive who can honestly claim that Revelation isn't fucking strange.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:44:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol Wow.

I don't think there's a Christian alive who can honestly claim that Revelation isn't fucking strange.

True, I could tell you about some lines that would make your head spin and question why the bible is such a good morality tool, for people to adhere too.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:45:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol Wow.

Yeah, pretty much.

Nevermind all the wacky shit, what really stretches credulity with me is armies going back to 1st gen warfare and bronze age weaponry in the "future."

The antichrists army, if they fight like they do in Revelation, will be MLRSed and shelled into fucking oblivion before they even seen their enemy. No river of blood, just crater lakes of it from artillery pounding them into submission in about 20 minutes.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:35:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
please define "cult",  because by my definition more than half the population belongs to one or another.

Denial of reality, delusional belief in a leader that can do no wrong, unwilling to consider opposing beliefs, demonization of those that disagree with them, etc.

Pfft. we should consider the beliefs of liberals and quit demonizing them.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:18:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes, I have a relative who is a member of the MSM.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:25:27 AM EDT
[#11]
AA when egos run amok.

"My sponsors sponsor sponsor sponsor is so-and-so..."
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:33:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol Wow.

True, I could tell you about some lines that would make your head spin and question why the bible is such a good morality tool, for people to adhere too.

I'm thinking Deuteronomy 13:6-11 (New Living Translation)

6 “Suppose someone secretly entices you—even your brother, your son or daughter, your beloved wife, or your closest friend—and says, ‘Let us go worship other gods’—gods that neither you nor your ancestors have known. 7They might suggest that you worship the gods of peoples who live nearby or who come from the ends of the earth. 8But do not give in or listen. Have no pity, and do not spare or protect them. 9 You must put them to death! Strike the first blow yourself, and then all the people must join in. 10 Stone the guilty ones to death because they have tried to draw you away from the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt, the place of slavery. 11 Then all Israel will hear about it and be afraid, and no one will act so wickedly again"

Kill the non-believer!  Funny... where have I heard that before?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:48:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I think about 52 pct of America did in January.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:52:15 PM EDT
[#14]
<––––––
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:56:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes. Not an official cult, but that same sort of structure. They don't have a name or anything, but the "leader" has that kind of influence.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:01:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a family member that got into Scientology.

They took every cent from her, and she is still hooked.

Loser.

- BG
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:09:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Been thinking about it.  Just haven't decided on starting at the bronze level or just saying the heck with it and go for gold.    

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:12:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Yes, they are called MUSLIMS
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:24:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol Wow.

You DO realize that Revelation is written in a code using Jewish religious symbolism so he could get his letter out of prison for being harmless nonsense, yes?

For instance, the pale horse Death rides is pale green, which represents, well, death. Dark green (God's throne) represents life. Frogs represent evil. Unless you knew Jewish religious symbolism, it wouldn't mean much to you.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:40:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lol Wow.

6 “Suppose someone secretly entices you—even your brother, your son or daughter, your beloved wife, or your closest friend—and says, ‘Let us go worship other gods’—gods that neither you nor your ancestors have known. 7They might suggest that you worship the gods of peoples who live nearby or who come from the ends of the earth. 8But do not give in or listen. Have no pity, and do not spare or protect them. 9 You must put them to death! Strike the first blow yourself, and then all the people must join in. 10 Stone the guilty ones to death because they have tried to draw you away from the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt, the place of slavery. 11 Then all Israel will hear about it and be afraid, and no one will act so wickedly again"

Not referring to non-believers. The passage is talking about those that attempt to convince believer to worship false idols–– rocks, Elvis' aunt's poodle, etc.

That verse does not even compare to the quran calling for the death of all non-Muslims. There is a reason why we are at war with Muslim terrorists, and not Christian terrorists.

Qur'an
(2:191-193)

- "And slay them wherever ye find them, and drive them out of the places
whence they drove you out, for persecution
is
worse than slaughter
and fight them until
persecution is no more, and religion is for Allah."

There are at least 108 other verses like this calling for the death of non-Muslims.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:05:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol Wow.

Not referring to non-believers. The passage is talking about those that attempt to convince believer to worship false idols–– rocks, Elvis' aunt's poodle, etc.

That verse does not even compare to the quran calling for the death of all non-Muslims. There is a reason why we are at war with Muslim terrorists, and not Christian terrorists.

Qur'an (2:191-193) - "And slay them wherever ye find them, and drive them out of the places whence they drove you out, for persecution is worse than slaughter and fight them until persecution is no more, and religion is for Allah."

There are at least 108 other verses like this calling for the death of non-Muslims.

Um, who the hell do you think is a non-believer?  1. someone the worships other gods but not your own.  2. someone that doesn't worship any gods.

The passage is regarding those that you know, or converters from afar, that come to you in an attempt to have you follow their own god(s).  Yes, to a Christian any god other than their own is a "false idol."  Other religions feel the same way.

Hosea 13 verse 16 commands the following for those that have rebelled:
      "The people of Samaria must bear their guilt,
      because they have rebelled against their God.
      They will fall by the sword;
      their little ones will be dashed to the ground,
      their pregnant women ripped open."

Isaiah:

15 Whoever is captured will be thrust through;
      all who are caught will fall by the sword.

16 Their infants will be dashed to pieces before their eyes;
      their houses will be looted and their wives ravished.

hmm... killing babies and raping women... so "god" like.

There are many other verses like these that call for the death of individuals, non-believers, former believers, etc.  If you are still in denial about the information contained in the Holy Bible - then I strongly encourage you to explore religious history classes or further your reading library.

*I don't want what I said to be taken in the wrong way.  As a scholar I always encourage others to read multiple viewpoints and accounts of the same subject in order to get a better understanding of the overall picture.  I have some great reading suggestions for those that are interested - just shoot me a PM.  Religious history can be a very boring thing until you really dig down and find the heart of the story and of the accounts - especially when their are multiple views or opinions to be offered.

ETA:  Yes what I quoted was intended to be a mocking of the text -  most people don't come across these passages because they aren't the easiest to explain to a church full of worshipers.  That being said, the old testament and parts of the new testament were pretty damn violent.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:06:30 PM EDT
[#22]
i know a mormon.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:10:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
i know a mormon.

+hundreds that I know.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:18:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Isn't ARFCOM a cult?

Damn I was late on that one.

I have friends and relatives who are 7th Day Adventist. The Waco people were an offshoot of this religion.

I have known quite a few Wiccan's, "witches", very nice people. Dated a few, very friendly and loving people. I wanted to marry one of them, she was awesome. The magic spells were silly, she would cast protection spells on me since her ex was looking for me and wanted to do me harm.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:19:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
i know a mormon.

+hundreds that I know.

there are HUNDREDS of them?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:21:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I've always wondered how cults get started. How does somebody get a bunch of followers? Do you put an ad in the paper, "Cult leader seeks easily manipulated worshippers to obey his every whim, no fat chicks"?

'cause I could totally do the whole cult leader thing. You know, have a bunch of guys in camo with illegal machine guns guarding my compound in the woods, having sex with a bunch of hot chicks who feed me peeled grapes, spouting gibberish about the end of the world. I could totally do that shit. And then I'd change my name and run off to another state to live off the money all my followers gave me when it all starts to go south on me.

Preferably before the feds find a convenient excuse to burn my shack down while I'm inside and shoot your dog.

Yeah I have thought about it also, people are sheeple, Obama proved that.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:33:04 PM EDT
[#27]
I had a fiancee that attended the Rudolf Steiner School.  I think the whole movement is weird.

I saw a lot of cult type organizations in Europe, seems to be a breeding ground for weird things.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:36:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Glen Beck is in a cult.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:41:25 PM EDT
[#29]
There is one organization, and person, that comes to mind specifically.  Anytime the names  come up strange shit seems to happen(example:random postings about  "incorrect, and lies" and how its so great).
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:51:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Glen Beck is in a cult.

Isn't he a Mormon?

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:19:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol Wow.

Qur'an (2:191-193) - "And slay them wherever ye find them, and drive them out of the places whence they drove you out, for persecution is worse than slaughter and fight them until persecution is no more, and religion is for Allah."

Um, who the hell do you think is a non-believer?  1. someone the worships other gods but not your own.  2. someone that doesn't worship any gods.

The passage is regarding those that you know, or converters from afar, that come to you in an attempt to have you follow their own god(s).  Yes, to a Christian any god other than their own is a "false idol."  Other religions feel the same way.

Hosea 13 verse 16 commands the following for those that have rebelled:
      "The people of Samaria must bear their guilt,
      because they have rebelled against their God.
      They will fall by the sword;
      their little ones will be dashed to the ground,
      their pregnant women ripped open."

Isaiah:

15 Whoever is captured will be thrust through;
      all who are caught will fall by the sword.

16 Their infants will be dashed to pieces before their eyes;
      their houses will be looted and their wives ravished.

hmm... killing babies and raping women... so "god" like.

There are many other verses like these that call for the death of individuals, non-believers, former believers, etc.  If you are still in denial about the information contained in the Holy Bible - then I strongly encourage you to explore religious history classes or further your reading library.

*I don't want what I said to be taken in the wrong way.  As a scholar I always encourage others to read multiple viewpoints and accounts of the same subject in order to get a better understanding of the overall picture.  I have some great reading suggestions for those that are interested - just shoot me a PM.  Religious history can be a very boring thing until you really dig down and find the heart of the story and of the accounts - especially when their are multiple views or opinions to be offered.

ETA:  Yes what I quoted was intended to be a mocking of the text -  most people don't come across these passages because they aren't the easiest to explain to a church full of worshipers.  That being said, the old testament and parts of the new testament were pretty damn violent.

I believe the basic pretext is that Islam calls for conversion by the sword....  Whereas Christianity and Judaism learned that does not work well; a hundred years ago.  In otherwords...two of the three actually grew up a bit.  And we find ourselves with the same enemy.  Go figure.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:46:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Meh, a cult is just a religion with not enough adherents.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:48:06 PM EDT
[#33]
I have a friend that voted for Obama.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:06:26 PM EDT
[#34]
I know a lot of Marines.....
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:08:53 PM EDT
[#35]
My mother-in-law is in a full blown cult.
The woman is batshit crazy and has lost contact with much of her family because of it. Thankfully, my wife is more like her father who is a good man.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:10:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Yep and I call them Aggies.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:22:17 PM EDT
[#37]
A religion is a popular cult.  A cult is an unpopular religion.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:34:32 PM EDT
[#38]
yea.....my family are christians
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:44:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Me, I'm a Christian.  Technically all religions are cults.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:46:51 PM EDT
[#40]
While I've had some experiences with fanatical/fundamentalistic adherents of mainstream religions, I've never had any personal dealings with cults.  Nor have I even known any current/former cult members.

Except maybe some of the guys in the "Colt" and "HK" forums on this site.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:03:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Do Democrats count?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top