Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 6:38:26 AM EDT
[#1]
No, I have a power hungry, micromanaging cunt.

She was a shitty spanish teacher who somehow made it to AP, then Principal. She has zero experience in elementary and ZERO clue how to do anything. She makes John Kerry's flip flops looks tame.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 6:41:32 AM EDT
[#2]
He is really smart.  His brain works at like twice the speed mine does, and he keeps learning more on his own time for fun.  I can see why he is in charge.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 6:42:11 AM EDT
[#3]
My new manager is a lot better than the last one.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 6:44:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes. I'm an S corp so I am my only employee.

I'm also the owner and President of my multi-thousand dollar corp.....
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 6:48:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Which boss?  I have at least 8 of them.

The one that signs off on my time sheets and expenses is decent.

Link Posted: 7/28/2013 7:19:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, I'd like to think so since he's me
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 7:20:17 AM EDT
[#7]
He's  a super nice guy and pretty much lets you do whatever you want as long as work is getting done. On the flip side though you can't count on him to help with anything because he will just say " You and XXXXX handle it buddy."So that he can leave at 2 and go ride his motorcycle and spend the afternoon with his wife and kids.  This is the first week in awhile that I've worked a somewhat normal week hour wise. I'm shop manager, NICET inspector, purchasing manager, and now apparently a project manager and estimator. WTF?!?!?!?!? At least I'm not salary.

Last week I had to go by myself to look at a job because he wouldn't go. It's a papermill who has an insurance company requiring fire protection systems on methanol and turpentine storage tanks that are in the thousands of gallons, and sorts of other crap. Not to mention it's hard to do residual pressure tests on underground water mains by yourself but I had to.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 7:23:23 AM EDT
[#8]
I've got 3 of them (including the owner) that I report directly to. All 3 are fantastic to work for/with.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 7:25:29 AM EDT
[#9]
He's pretty good. Doesn't bug me, very helpful when I NEED help. My wife worked for him years before and I had worked for him before, too, when I was in Receiving.

He appreciates my hard-charging attitude, says it refreshing to have to hold someone back rather than having to apply a boot to the ass.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 7:32:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes. Fantastic lady that treats all her employees like family.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 7:33:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 7:40:23 AM EDT
[#12]
My boss is no nonsense about work, but a fun guy also.

Likes to get'r done.

We see eye to eye.

Link Posted: 7/28/2013 7:41:37 AM EDT
[#13]
I have 3, one of whom is the owner. The owner is a good guy, but micromanages absolutely everything. Still, he's fair, generous, and treats people well.

The other 2  are great. Easy-going, competent, and pretty laid back. They also take  good-natured ribbing to a whole new level. Nobody is safe, including them.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 7:45:16 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a great boss. Smart, capable, motivated, and just all around nice. I've worked for her at two different places (followed her to the second when she recruited me  for a new job).

In fact, I was at her wedding and reception last night.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 7:47:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My boss is actually awesome.

In turn, I try and be an awesome boss to my guys.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 7:48:37 AM EDT
[#16]
My boss has my back. We don't always toe the company line but we make a lot of money and he is respected company wide for this fact. He also is incredibly HONEST and open, witch is something you don't see as much as you'd like to these days.
I don't know what I'll do when he retires and a "new generation manager" moves into his position.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 7:50:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Yes! Cool guy and loves guns!!
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 7:52:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My boss is actually awesome.

In turn, I try and be an awesome boss to my guys.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 7:55:57 AM EDT
[#19]
I learn a lot every day about failed leadership. Nice guys though, but they suck in crisis mode, when times are good their bullshit isn't really noticeable but when things get shitty they become much less tolerable.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 8:18:06 AM EDT
[#20]
No, she's a bitch.  Gets all pissed off at me for the tiniest mistake and doesn't pay for shit.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 8:19:34 AM EDT
[#21]
My boss is a good guy but has ivory tower syndrome pretty bad. Has no clue what day to day operations are really like.

Link Posted: 7/28/2013 8:22:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Yea, now that I'm retired ..............................
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 8:33:46 AM EDT
[#23]
I haven't had a bad boss yet in my little area of the railroad, but I've seen them elsewhere in the company.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 8:37:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Had assholes for a dozen years.  Only the last two years were good.  

The last asshole owes more on his house than when he first bought it.    I suspect its underwater now.  In a few years, he may have to downscale.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 8:40:19 AM EDT
[#25]
I have a new boss every week just about. I look at the schedule and it tells me who I'm working for this week, last I looked its been for approx 20 in the last year alone. Even my professional eval/counseling is conducted by a different individual every 6 months. I hate my fucking job and they wonder why they have >30% turnover in a professional setting. .
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 8:41:33 AM EDT
[#26]
My direct boss is pretty awesome. He's more like a teammate than a boss.

I can turn to him and say... "hey Jon.  Fuck you."  and he'll reply "yeah, fuck you too, Matt!"  He's great at being on our side and backing us up.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 8:42:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
My boss is a friend and a boss.
View Quote

This.  Couldn't be happier with mine
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 8:51:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Yep, have a good boss here.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 8:51:17 AM EDT
[#29]
My boss is a total freakin asshole. I've had one week long vacation in 10 years and he sleeps with my wife.

Link Posted: 7/28/2013 8:54:27 AM EDT
[#30]
My boss is terrified of guns, as in anyone caught carrying would be sent home. I work by myself way out in rural areas, some times late night/early morning as well. Also go through cities and towns all over. Not expecting help if something should arise, county PD takes 30-45 minutes to show up sometimes.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 8:54:27 AM EDT
[#31]
my last boss would not approve payment for things i needed, tell me to buy things that were ridiculously expensive we didn't need, cut my budget, then tell have me explain to his boss why we were over budget when he would conveniently take the day off. he would also deny repair requests when i could get things done cheaply until we were in a crisis and then we had to pay a ridiculous expedite fee. i routinely tried to make all things easier for my company and my suppliers, but making things easier is not the right way to do things. he would also not reply to any emails from noon friday until i had already gone to sleep on sunday night, then he would wonder why things weren't done his way by monday morning.

i know shame on me for not telling his boss about it, but it wouldn't have done any good. if you've been at the company long enough, you can do no wrong.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 8:54:58 AM EDT
[#32]
in short, no.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 8:55:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Sometimes I'm not a dick to myself.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 8:57:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Part of my problem from another recent post.  I had a great boss who they recently let go and now the place is turned upside down.  He actually appreciated hard work and the extra effort put in.  First time in all the places that I've worked where he would tell me "nicely done".  They let him go and put a fat ass who knows nothing in charge and now it's all gone to shit and I'm looking to get out.  If you have a good boss, stay.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 8:58:10 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm self employed, so.....no.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 9:00:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'm the owner and operator of my company. I'm not sure if my guys like me. The few I have left are overworked, underpaid, and operate in the worst conditions and circumstances known to my industry. I kick them the raises, bonuses, and payed time off I can afford. I try to give a fair days pay for a fair days work. These few keep showing up and have been here since I started the company. I'd be in a problem if they left. I think it's the same the other way. So I'm unsure if they like me, or are stuck with me. Rats on the same ship. Right?
View Quote

For a minute I thought you were the owner of my company until I got to the part where you say, "I kick them the raises, bonuses, and payed time off I can afford".
All I get for the hard work and long hours is a kick in the ass and an slap in the face.  It's time to get out.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 9:00:29 AM EDT
[#37]
My boss is the chef, and he's just in it for himself. The company I'm working for is going corporate, and it's gotten to him. Everyone on our staff pretty much hates him. His boss though, is awesome. There's been a few times where a couple cooks would go out for a smoke, and I've gotten a little rush where there were some things I don't know the recipes for (I started a couple months ago.) I asked him to just pop out back and ask one of the guys to come back in, and instead he came on line and brought the recipe, and started cooking it himself. Another time the dishwasher was complaining that he was too busy, and sarcastically told him he needed help. 30 seconds later he had an apron and was working the dish pit. This is the guy in the highest position in the company without going corporate, but willing to to entry level work. Takes out trashes too, if he's already on his way out the door.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 9:01:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
my boss is great. i see him in the mirror in the morning while he brushes his teeth.
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 9:07:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Yes, actually I do.

I've told him when he retires to give me a heads up so I can start looking elsewhere because the guy that will replace him is an insufferable ass. There for a while they were cutting back hours but my boss fought tooth and nail for us to maintain ours so while others were sitting at home we were out working. The bad thing is he's already retired from his former career and drawing his pension from there and I suspect he's just working here till he can draw his full Social Security benefits. He's fairly old so I don't think he has long to go.

It helps that I work in the field and only go to the office once or twice a year. Maybe talk on the phone with him two or three times per week unless an immediate problem arises. His bosses are largely indifferent towards us.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 9:09:37 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I make my boss a lot of money and he gives me a percentage of it. The more he makes, the more I make — it's beautiful. I'm not here to make friends, I'm here to make money. Mission accomplished! I may not be fun to my subordinates, but I'm fair.
View Quote
A couple of pieces of constructive life advice:

1) Drop the first saying. Making fiends (i.e. having great relationships in general) makes you far more successful than the alternative, it's how you get things you need done done.

2) You should help, encourage, and support your subordinates until they want to work for you.  That's what makes a great manager and breeds a ton of success.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 9:09:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I have the joy of working for a great guy that I consider a friend. I respect and look up to him. He manages exceptionally well, is very patient, and does not hesitate to reward hard work.

I think guys who manage this way wind up with harder working employees who perform higher quality work overall.
View Quote

I've been in a few supervisory positions before and have found it's a lot better to lead by example and have your employees respect you rather than being a hard ass and have your crew work just hard enough to not get fired.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 9:15:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Mine is awesome!!! I got a new 911 when I turned 40 for a company car, I got a boat one year as a bonus, a trip to Europe for my 10th wedding anniversary picked up by the company, the company maxs out my 401k and does 529's for my kids, and I can take as many vacation days as I want ( if I can find time to take it). I even got a no interest loan to buy a piece of commercial property.

BTW I own my own company and I am my own boss.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 9:32:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 9:34:03 AM EDT
[#44]
My immediate manager is a good guy who generally knows what he's talking about, but he has no idea how to run a company, let alone a group of 8 engineers. Whenever we bring up an issue that should be addressed, such as the lack of any means of communication when we're at remote sites out of cell coverage, or not having the correct safety equipment, or needing software licences renewed, he side-steps the issue and (allegedly) kicks it upstairs to the VP, who couldn't care less and won't push the point if the CEO says "no".

We have 150 employees across three business units, so we're just starting to put a bloated bureaucracy in service to replace manager's critical thinking skills. But they still run the company like a mom and pop shop when it suits them, such as not paying us for using our personal cellphones for work, and cutting previously-banked OT hours because "we just can't let you take 400 hours off".

I've told my manager if he were to leave the company and start his own business, I'd join him in a heartbeat. But in his current position he's an ineffective micromanager.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top