BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 4:39:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As a matter of fact, I do like Art Deco.
View Quote

Ye call that an art deco gun?

Link Posted: 6/19/2015 4:39:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Bowman Field, Louisville, KY

Link Posted: 6/19/2015 4:39:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Big fan!

I really hate most of the modern glass boxes.  Really?  You paid some to think of a flat sided box made of glass.
View Quote

I will say I miss some of the buildings in shitcago, some serious style peeking through the glass box jungle.
You should see the new feddy building in Portland, ugh reminds me of a shit shack out back with corrugated tin roofing.  Basically a glass box with stupid exterior slats glued to the side with a corrugated tin roof.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 4:54:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Art Deco (France and international)
Bauhaus (Germany)
Constructivism (Russia)
De Stijl (Netherlands)
Futurism (Italy)
Prairie School (U.S.)

All concurrent and all part of the Modern Movement in the early 20th century. All were subsumed by an even bigger movement called World War Two, which had its own unique style (though Louis Sullivan's doctrine of Form Follows Function certainly found its place here).

As a professional graphic designer for the past 40 years and as a lifelong student of art history, it has always fascinated me and has heavily influenced by own personal style.

Link Posted: 6/19/2015 4:55:56 PM EDT
[#5]
The rail roads embraced the AC style the best IMO. Look at all of the awesome train stations around the country especially in the big citys. Look at all of the trains posted on page 1.

I know everytime im tugging through NY harbor I have a hard time looking away from the Chrysler Building and the Empire State Building. My first visit to South Beach was a hurried meal with a beautiful girl and then cruising down Collins Ave in the rental car until I had to take her back to the yacht she worked on.

I rode behind the N&W 611 last weekend and that was an awesome experience. The streamlined engine puffing away, the vintage passenger cars, and the sound of the steam whistle. It was close to traveling back in time.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 4:58:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 5:00:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You and me both. I have quite a few books on him and the era in general.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Some amazing posters too.

Yeah, I dig AD, and Art Nouveau as well.

I really like Alphonse Mucha's work.

You and me both. I have quite a few books on him and the era in general.

Well you have me beat there I just have a few crappy reproduction prints, like the famous absinthe ad that I can't post a picture of as it wouldn't be CoC compliant.

I think I need more art, my walls are rather bare since I don't have a woman decorating the place anymore.

Link Posted: 6/19/2015 5:01:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I love both Art Deco and Art Nouveau.

I just got a big book on Alphonse Mucha.

Link Posted: 6/19/2015 5:04:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Always been a fan along with mid century modern and machine age styles
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 5:08:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some amazing posters too.

Yeah, I dig AD, and Art Nouveau as well.

Yep to all the above
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 5:08:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Bauhaus (Germany)
Constructivism (Russia)
De Stijl (Netherlands)
Futurism (Italy)
Prairie School (U.S.)

All concurrent and all part of the Modern Movement in the early 20th century. All were subsumed by an even bigger movement called World War Two, which had its own unique style (though Louis Sullivan's doctrine of Form Follows Function certainly found its place here).

As a professional graphic designer for the past 40 years and as a lifelong student of art history, it has always fascinated me and has heavily influenced by own personal style.

View Quote

Do you make a distinction between Deco and (Streamlined) Moderne?

Link Posted: 6/19/2015 5:10:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 5:13:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Come to Tulsa. Only Miami has more art deco architecture.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 5:18:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Bauhaus (Germany)
Constructivism (Russia)
De Stijl (Netherlands)
Futurism (Italy)
Prairie School (U.S.)

View Quote

An add:

Fallout Shelter (U.S.)  Not real well regarded; more of an underground cult movement in the 1950's and early 60's.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 5:23:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Art Deco is the most beautiful design style ever produced.

Link Posted: 6/19/2015 5:27:17 PM EDT
[#16]
One good thing to come out of the WPA, shit tons of AD architecture on  civic works projects.

My guest bedroom has a complete waterfall furniture set, with a glorious working Silvertone tuning eye console. Only futura and googie styles even come close to me.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 5:32:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

http://41.media.tumblr.com/806e0f5dc411bb27272bc2658cf71644/tumblr_mqa7od6WpL1qc32e4o4_1280.jpg
View Quote

Ahhh yes, la belle epoch. Stunning.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 6:13:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Always been a fan along with mid century modern and machine age styles
View Quote

I have a nice solid wood mid century modern tanker desk that I refinished.  I really like it, even though my legs barely fit under it and my chair arms definitely won't .  It was built for a different time.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 6:14:42 PM EDT
[#19]

I love the talbot lago t150s but to me bugatti really improved on that twin scallop design with the type 57 atlantic/aerolithe cars

The hood and what would be the B-pillar/hatch are smoother on the Atlantics.

But its small stuff at that point . . .

One of my favorite buildings that's not quite the epitome of Art Deco but is beautiful nonetheless is LA's Union Station.  The Mission style with the Streamline Moderne/Art Deco concept is beautiful every time I visit it.

Can't get your hair cut or a shave there anymore . . .

On that theme, I love the E-units & F-units of the 40s/50s but going away from steam really killed the spirit of train engines for me.  The low rumble from the firebox and the noise/smell/excess steam is about as awesome as it gets for moving something.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 6:31:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Connie?

Yeah.

AD building

Link Posted: 6/19/2015 6:41:48 PM EDT
[#21]
I am a big fan of Art Deco & the following period, Art Modern.
I have the bronzes, framed art (Robert Hoppe) and Heywood Wakefield furniture.
Robert Hoppe

Heywood-Wakefild
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 6:54:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://41.media.tumblr.com/806e0f5dc411bb27272bc2658cf71644/tumblr_mqa7od6WpL1qc32e4o4_1280.jpg

Here is the book I got, but I think I got it for like $20 or less at Barnes and Nobel. http://www.amazon.com/Alphonse-Mucha-Masterworks-Rosalind-Ormiston/dp/1844517306/ref=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1434754328&sr=1-7&keywords=mucha

If you haven't seen his later work, a giant epic painting series about the history of the Slavs, check it out.
http://www.muchafoundation.org/gallery/themes/theme/slav-epic
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 6:59:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bauhaus (Germany)
Constructivism (Russia)
De Stijl (Netherlands)
Futurism (Italy)
Prairie School (U.S.)

Mainly a geographical (and some would argue, philosophical) distinction. Some consider it a purer version of Art Deco, but opinion varies.

It's certainly no purer (cleaner) than Bauhaus or De Stijl, but definitely more pure (less deco for deco's sake) than the frenetic and political Constructivists or the wild and emotional Futurists.

But they are all children of Modernism (as opposed to Art Nouveau, which grew out of the Romanticist movement in art).

I've had this excerpt of the Futurist Manifesto on my bulletin board for decades. It sort of keeps me young:

The Futurist Manifesto

1. We want to sing the love of danger, the habit of energy and restlessness.
2. The essential elements of our poetry will be courage, audacity and revolt.
3. Literature has up to now worshipped pensive immobility, ecstasy and slumber. We want to exalt aggressive movement, feverish sleeplessness, the perilous leap, the blow.
4. We declare that the splendor of the world has been enriched by a new beauty: the beauty of speed.

But the rest of the Manifesto is complete destructive anarchy and explains the birth of Italian fascism.

ETA: spelchek
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 7:01:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 7:07:24 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm definitely a fan of Art Deco.  Always have been.

Link Posted: 6/19/2015 7:34:49 PM EDT
[#26]
I like the posters from Squadron Posters, very art deco feel to it

Squadron Posters

Link Posted: 6/20/2015 1:12:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Bump for the cool cats on the Night Crew.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 1:25:22 AM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 6/20/2015 1:56:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Love it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 2:04:17 AM EDT
[#30]
I dig it.

And if you want to see a lot more of it, check out "Poirot," the TV series starring David Suchet. They found just about every Art Deco architecture still standing in the Old World to make the series.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 3:56:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Oh yes, love it!
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 4:23:39 AM EDT
[#32]
The only thing wrong - the ONLY thing - with Deco is that it eventually gives way to Moderne, and from there you have to barrel on through Googie.

And man, fuck Googie.  Shag carpet on walls?  White grout in fake stone fireplaces?  Semi-psychadellic linoleum?  Shitty windows?  Drop ceilings with bad fake stone texture and recessed flourescent lights with hazed plastic covers?  Painted wrought iron?

Googie gave us shit like the Gobbler hotel.  Abandon all good taste, ye who enter here

I have this recurring nightmare where I'm driving with thr family on a long road trip, we're almost out of gas and we're lost, and I have to pull over for the night.  And in my headlights looms...  the Gobbler.

(Technically it's late or post-Googie, but goddamn, I have bad acid flashbacks from that decor and I've never dropped acid)
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 4:35:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Yeah, I dig it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 4:40:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 4:46:01 AM EDT
[#35]

Link Posted: 6/20/2015 6:53:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The only thing wrong - the ONLY thing - with Deco is that it eventually gives way to Moderne, and from there you have to barrel on through Googie.

And man, fuck Googie.  Shag carpet on walls?  White grout in fake stone fireplaces?  Semi-psychadellic linoleum?  Shitty windows?  Drop ceilings with bad fake stone texture and recessed flourescent lights with hazed plastic covers?  Painted wrought iron?

Googie gave us shit like the Gobbler hotel.  Abandon all good taste, ye who enter here

I have this recurring nightmare where I'm driving with thr family on a long road trip, we're almost out of gas and we're lost, and I have to pull over for the night.  And in my headlights looms...  the Gobbler.

(Technically it's late or post-Googie, but goddamn, I have bad acid flashbacks from that decor and I've never dropped acid)
View Quote

Good lord, thanks for sharing the nightmare that was that place.
I read the whole thing, and now I think i need a shower.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 7:03:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Yes i do. There are some great AD buildings in my town.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 7:08:59 AM EDT
[#38]
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_Arts_Building_(Hot_Springs,_Arkansas)

Heres the best one.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 7:19:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Yes!!
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 7:19:39 AM EDT
[#40]

Airplanes are shaped by aerodynamics, not fucking whimsy.  There is no such thing as an art deco aircraft.  
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 7:34:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Yep, I love it!
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/20/2015 7:37:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Art Deco and Beaux Arts are hard to best
View Quote

This, if you want a cool Art Deco experience go to the Sazarac  Bar in the Roosevelt Hotel in NOLA, it's a damn time machine.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 9:27:58 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Airplanes are shaped by aerodynamics, not fucking whimsy.  There is no such thing as an art deco aircraft.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

At least the successful ones are.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 9:32:29 AM EDT
[#44]
Art Yucko? No.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 9:37:39 AM EDT
[#45]
The Fisher Building in Detroit (anyone else remember WJR AM's "from the golden tower of the Fisher Building"?) is up for sale in an online auction. It's another Art Deco gem.

Sorry, can't hotlink. iPad hates the edtior.

http://www.npr.org/2015/06/19/415200237/detroits-iconic-fisher-building-up-for-auction
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 9:41:30 AM EDT
[#46]
I have a 1939 Silvertone radio that looks much like this:

The only difference is that mine has three horizontal slats across the speaker opening.

Still works, too!
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 9:45:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Great thread... I also love N&W's 611.... It truly was the best of the passenger engines.  Gorgeous.

Looks like it could have been designed by  the master: Raymond Loewy; but it was created by N&W's own locomotive building team.

Loewy did build these:

Link Posted: 6/20/2015 9:50:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
From my own collection, a 1941 Philco:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=74261

A late '30s Sentinel battery-powered farm radio:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=73411
View Quote

Do they still work?
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 10:01:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Have one of these too.  Got it restored.  Sounds great on a classic country station.

Link Posted: 6/20/2015 10:34:02 AM EDT
[#50]
I have no idea what the name of the site is, but I once stumbled across what might be the biggest thread on the internet, and it's got thousands of photos of historical LA. If you can track down that thread, you'll get a month's worth of art deco pictures to look at. Sadly, I don't recall where I saw the thread. I was doing a google search for some building (maybe related to the film Blade Runner), and found the photo I was looking for there. Maybe it's at one of the boards that focus on city architecture? I knew of two such boards, but I can't recall their names. Sorry.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top