BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 6:25:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
hey if you wanna be average.  that's an awesome goal.
View Quote

Bro. You'd be lucky to achieve average and you try really hard. What's that say?
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 6:26:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I bet you're just grumpy because you don't look good in a suit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Dress clothes" are one of the stupidest fashion holdovers ever conceived.  Ties should be made extinct and anyone wearing one should be shamed for being a costumed poofter.

Fuck all of that.

No one "looks good" in a suit.  Suits are the modern equivalent of the powdered wig, poofy shirt, and cheek rouge.  Enjoy your heritage of cross dressing.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 6:26:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I do wear dress shirts when I go out to dinner, go to the Doctor and when I was a union rep.  

I get a different vibe when I am dressed nicer then anyone else in the room.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 6:27:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I feel bad for the people so insecure with themselves they care about what others think about how they dress
View Quote

Meanwhile you go to a doctor that dresses nice, you hire a lawyer who wears a suit, buy products from companies whose CEOs and boards wear suits,. You vote for candidates who wear suits. You get on a plane and expect the pilot to be in a clean pressed uniform.

You see someone in a military uniform that is squared away and respect that. See a state trooper in a clean and pressed uniform and it’s what you expect.

You go to a funeral or a wedding and don’t wear a t-shirt and flip flops. Why not, are you insecure?

Go ahead and tell yourself society no longer pays attention to clothing. Or better yet understand it and use it to your advantage.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 6:28:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

No one "looks good" in a suit.  Suits are the modern equivalent of the powdered wig, poofy shirt, and cheek rouge.  Enjoy your heritage of cross dressing.
View Quote

Exactly.

Another generation of yes men
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 6:29:06 PM EDT
[#6]
This picture came up on my feed today.  Harrison County High School cafeteria...circa 1967.  I would say times have changed a bit.

Link Posted: 9/5/2021 6:29:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't like wearing suits.  I don't put one on unless society says I am supposed to, because I think they are less comfortable than a good pair of jeans and T-Shirt.  

That said, I do think I look good in a suit.  That doesn't mean I am going to walk around wearing one on the regular, but..."sharp" is the word I would use I guess, to describe the look they provide.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 6:29:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
@AKCory762

Where are you located?

I own a shop of strictly men's vintage clothing, from back when tailoring was great and commonplace, and I wear suits and nice clothing often. I'm in central Iowa l, if you're neaby you could swing by.
View Quote

I’m in western NY. Wish I was closer by!
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 6:29:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I’m 32
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Boomer clothes.  I’m in construction and have no use for that shit.

I’m 32

being a boomer has little to do with your physical age.

Link Posted: 9/5/2021 6:29:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 6:29:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Try to find a local haberdasher. I had a blue blazer custom made for $700 that arrived in about 10 days and it is light years ahead of the POS jos a banks one I had been wearing. The suits are so much better as well. The material is not nearly as chintzy. Buy once cry once applies to clothes as well as guns.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 6:30:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I’m 32
View Quote

Boomer is a state of mind.

I’m in my late 40’s and I’ve gotten rid of pretty much all “dress clothes”.  I wasn’t wearing them and see no point anymore.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 6:30:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Why don’t you already own adult clothes?
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 6:30:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

very people men look GOOD in a suit.
Goodrich is spot on.

I'm lucky I live in Oklahoma where there are few things that dress boots, properly starched and pressed Wranglers or Cinch's and a jacket aren't appropriate too.

I've got a fitted suit and maybe wear it once a year.

slacks and shirts no problem. got a closet full of them.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 6:30:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Meanwhile you go to a doctor that dresses nice, you hire a lawyer who wears a suit, buy products from companies whose CEOs and boards wear suits,. You vote for candidates who wear suits. You get on a plane and expect the pilot to be in a clean pressed uniform.

You see someone in a military uniform that is squared away and respect that. See a state trooper in a clean and pressed uniform and it’s what you expect.

You go to a funeral or a wedding and don’t wear a t-shirt and flip flops. Why not, are you insecure?

Go ahead and tell yourself society no longer pays attention to clothing. Or better yet understand it and use it to your advantage.
View Quote

If the next time you went to your doctor/dentist/etc he/she was wearing athletic shorts and a t shirt, would you stop going there?
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 6:31:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

All boomers are retired now.  I doubt many of them are wearing sport coats around the house.

OP: I like Macy's for nice clothes at good prices.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 6:31:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Now we have links to some court proceedings that are video taped (or did for awhile). I had to rewatch a preliminary hearing and thought
1-boy do I need to get in shape
2-these masks look foolish
3-my shoes still need a good polish
4-glad that cop from AZ can't see this
View Quote

Can you post a link?

I think you could count on GD to provide a kind, fair and helpful critique.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 6:32:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m 32

OP:

https://pyxis.nymag.com/v1/imgs/c69/f90/53fd47c81e42d9692fe043f280f5b2bf3b-27-food-review1.rsquare.w700.jpg

Fuck dude you nailed it. I’m a size 34 extra slim jacket. Pasty as hell too.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 6:33:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm rapidly running out of future events that I would consider wearing dress clothes for.

I've never even owned a suit.
View Quote

Same here,  am getting cremated so I don't even need one to be buried in.   Times change as do social interactions and required dress,  always felt like an idiot when in the dress clothes I had .    Nothing left in my future to dress up for.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 6:33:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If the next time you went to your doctor/dentist/etc he/she was wearing athletic shorts and a t shirt, would you stop going there?
View Quote
Yeah honestly, if I hired a lawyer or met with a surgeon who was going to open me up and they showed up looking like they are dressed to mow their lawn....I am going to fire them find another one.  Again, I am not a big fan of wearing dress clothes on a regular basis but...I am also not a lawyer or doctor and some things come with the territory.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 6:33:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Bro. You'd be lucky to achieve average and you try really hard. What's that say?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
hey if you wanna be average.  that's an awesome goal.

I didn't get stimulus money?
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 6:34:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Fuck dude you nailed it. I'm a size 34 extra slim jacket. Pasty as hell too.
View Quote
Review brah wears 90s vintage suits. If he wore a modern slim fit, he might not look like a toddler, but he's been doing it so long that it's just part of his character at this point.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 6:35:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Everyone in GD wants to dress in polyester sportswear, fleece, and pajamas.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 6:35:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Dress clothes" are one of the stupidest fashion holdovers ever conceived.  Ties should be made extinct and anyone wearing one should be shamed for being a costumed poofter.

Fuck all of that.

It's okay to look decent once in awhile if the situation or event warrants it.

This is my dirty ass cleaned up and wearing most of one.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/5/2021 6:36:18 PM EDT
[#25]
This thread makes me sad. Charlie Watts had it right, and he was a frikkin' Rolling Stone.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 6:36:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Everyone in GD wants to dress in polyester sportswear, fleece, and pajamas.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/239441/B99B7AE8-25F8-4F77-B983-2DBB8DCD7B8E_jpe-2079655.JPG
View Quote
Apparently.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 6:37:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
we need  to cross-reference the MGTOW dudes and the suit-less dudes and see if its the same people.
View Quote

The Venn diagram would be one big circle.

They’rethesamepicture.jpg
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 6:38:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, most likely. If they dress like that in their profession then they are going to have a shit load of other issues as well. I guess that’s why I have never seen one in a T-shirt and shorts in the office, have you?

Link Posted: 9/5/2021 6:38:21 PM EDT
[#29]
I keep two suits that are clean and pressed, one for funerals, and one for any sort of business thing that requires me to wear a suit, which is very rare.  Well, nonexistent for the last 18 months.  
I work in deep nerdy IT security where dress is vendor t-shirts, hoodies, jeans, and usually shoes, but if we are going to get c-level visitors, we dress up nice.  Hard to justify our department budget if everyone looks homeless.  :)
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 6:38:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
This thread makes me sad. Charlie Watts had it right, and he was a frikkin' Rolling Stone.
View Quote

He was a sharp dresser and a proper English gentleman, despite being able to go to work in jeans and a T shirt.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 6:38:40 PM EDT
[#31]
It's an interesting commentary on our society to realize that back when America was prospering, many manual laborers and farmers and factory workers dressed and actually worked far harder than most modern workers while wearing clothing far more formal than many of you will wear to a funeral, wedding, or formal event.

And yet the same crowd will constantly bemoan the prevalence of trashy ghetto culture and the general societal malaise of mediocrity afflicting the country in their very next breath as our traditions and values are getting murdered left and right.

The general concept of being a well rounded man seems to have completely fallen away. My grandfather was a self described "hillbilly" coal miner from Tennessee who didn't finish high school yet he knew how to tie a tie and dressed nicely to go to church and formal events. Meanwhile in the age of information available instantly people whine that ties choke them because they are apparently incapable of buying a correct collar size and learning the simplest of knots.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 6:38:42 PM EDT
[#32]
GD thinks every man should own a suit but also GD loves baseball hats

Wearing a baseball hat is one of the most juvenile things an adult male can do
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 6:39:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Find your nearest Hickey Freeman retailer and Allen Edmonds store.

Stay in the A B or C lines of Hickey.  The “name” of the pattern will start with those letters and is found in the tag inside the jacket.

Make sure you don’t end up looking like pee wee Herman.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 6:39:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@AKCory762

Where are you located?

I own a shop of strictly men's vintage clothing, from back when tailoring was great and commonplace, and I wear suits and nice clothing often. I'm in central Iowa l, if you're neaby you could swing by.

How close are you to Buffalo?

https://oconnellsclothing.com/
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 6:40:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
You have some interesting views.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 6:40:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It's an interesting commentary on our society to realize that back when America was prospering, many manual laborers and farmers and factory workers dressed and actually worked far harder than most modern workers while wearing clothing far more formal than many of you will wear to a funeral, wedding, or formal event.

And yet the same crowd will constantly bemoan the prevalence of trashy ghetto culture and the general societal malaise of mediocrity afflicting the country in their very next breath as our traditions and values are getting murdered left and right.

The general concept of being a well rounded man seems to have completely fallen away. My grandfather was a self described "hillbilly" coal miner from Tennessee who didn't finish high school yet he knew how to tie a tie and dressed nicely to go to church and formal events. Meanwhile in the age of information available instantly people whine that ties choke them because they aren't apparently incapable of buying a correct collar size and learning the simplest of knots.
View Quote
well said.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 6:41:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wearing a suit is "cross dressing"?
That's quite a stretch, even for GD which is about 87% bullshit.

A properly worn suit is not only comfortable (especially with modern fabrics) but many of the people you have looked up to and some of the most  manlinest men ever have worn suits.....and looked good doing it.

I'd still love to know how traditional men's  suit is "cross dressing".
Any girl can wear flip flops, basketball shorts and an old wrinkled TShirt. Don't see many wearing a suit and tie. Hillary pants suits tailored for women, yes, but a man's  suit........not even close.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 6:42:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yes, most likely. If they dress like that in their profession then they are going to have a shit load of other issues as well. I guess that’s why I have never seen one in a T-shirt and shorts in the office, have you?

View Quote

You know how many judges wear dress clothes to sign a warrant at 3am?

It’s not the clothes that make the person.

Now if they’re sloppy, as in food stains on their cloths or trash in their office or car, that’s a different issue.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 6:42:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wearing a baseball hat (if it is the only hat you have) is less juvenile than showing up for work with a face sunburn.

Hats are millennia-old survival gear
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 6:42:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 6:43:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 6:43:35 PM EDT
[#42]
In what world are jeans more comfortable than slacks or khakis.  Especially starched and pressed wranglers?  Same goes for a shitty scratchy cheap ass button down?  Don’t get me wrong I don’t dress up every day, I wear gym shorts to the grocery store. But I don’t go to dinner or “out” without some degree of class.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 6:44:18 PM EDT
[#43]
I have a nice pair of jeans, a polo and a button up for nice occasions.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 6:44:31 PM EDT
[#44]
I get like 5 pairs of 5.11 pants a year I have like 15-20 pairs...

Different styles but all 5.11

I get shirts and boots for work also...different brands but all tactical(ish) in style

I work 5-6 days a week so I wear 5.11

On the days I don't work if I go somewhere its 5.11 and a t=shirt or polo depending on what I am doing.

I just had to buy a suit for depressing reasons....

It's now cleaned and hanging in the closet.  And will probably sit there for years before I need it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 6:45:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Hit Brooks Brothers
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 6:45:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Live in FL, too hot for all that
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 6:46:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
In what world are jeans more comfortable than slacks or khakis.  Especially starched and pressed wranglers?  Same goes for a shitty scratchy cheap ass button down?  Don’t get me wrong I don’t dress up every day, I wear gym shorts to the grocery store. But I don’t go to dinner or “out” without some degree of class.
View Quote

You need to find stretch jeans....it's a paradigm shift for jean wearing.

I rarely wear them, my work clothes are all poly/cotton blend, they are bomb proof and softer than plain old denim or duck cloth. When I do need jeans for casual wear though, I only grab the stretchy ones now.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 6:46:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Fuck all of that.
View Quote

Sort of agree.

I own a few tailored suits.

I own zero ties.

Ties are stupid.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 6:47:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/294791/i-zspTmrc-XL_jpg-2079654.JPG

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck all of that.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/294791/i-zspTmrc-XL_jpg-2079654.JPG

If you're wanting me to comment on you looking good, I'm straight bro.

ETA. also stop shaving that's bullshit too.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 6:49:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I had some time on my hands this afternoon so I took a ride to some stores to look at a new pair of brown leather shoes and maybe a new sport jacket.

My in-laws are coming in this week for my wedding and I figured a new jacket my be nice for dinner.

All the department stores are disgusting and a mess with fake leather garbage. Ok. I go to Jos a banks and they said the only have 1 style in stock.

All the other men’s shops had zero stock. Ugly plain sport coats. Like wtf happened, they decided to make garbage in China and now can’t get any stock......

View Quote
some folks don’t take pride in their appearance

Some don’t go anywhere, that requires a collared shirt, let alone a blazer or suit.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top