Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:20:53 PM EDT
[#1]
LU is accredited.  Like most schools I'm sure there are colleges within the university that have better reputations than others.  The education you get is is kind of up to you, that is, what you make of it, how you apply yourself.  In the end I figure how you sale yourself in an interview is the bigger question.  If you can't articulate why you are qualified for a job in a resume or in person, where you got your degree won't matter much.  Employers want people who can work, will work, and can work with other people.  After you land your first job and get some time in that field, as long as you can demonstrate and articulate success, where you got your degree begins to mean less in your next interview if you decide to move on.  I'm not saying it has no weight, simply it means less.  Success sales.

I've heard it said that a lot of employers biggest concern is a candidate's ability to work with others and acclimate into their culture.  Education is great, but will he/she work out here.  If you sit an interview and have the personality of a cardboard box, good luck.  One thing I have said about my own college education during an interview was that if nothing else it should demonstrate I can learn.  One interviewer commented something to the effect, "it's good to know you don't know everything."  I got the job.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:21:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't know anything about Liberty University, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and assume it's not an unaccredited christian taliban indoctrination camp like Pensacola Christian College.

View Quote

LMAO.  I know a few folks who have gone/ are going there.  Worthless school that costs tons of money regardless of the quality of education/indoctrination.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:21:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but in what circles is it respected?

I assume that Liberty has its own form of networking value within the evangelical community. I get that. But as far as employers in general taking it seriously, it's not great. A Liberty degree is seen as a stamp reading, "Too Dumb for Radford."
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes it is respected.

I assume that Liberty has its own form of networking value within the evangelical community. I get that. But as far as employers in general taking it seriously, it's not great. A Liberty degree is seen as a stamp reading, "Too Dumb for Radford."

We've had a couple really strong hires from Liberty.  I think both were accounting majors - maybe finance.  For school's in state, it's not UVA, W&M, W&L, UR or even VT    

In my field, I'd say LU is somewhere between Radford and JMU, i.e. a strong GPA and experience would be more significant towards getting in the door for an interview than the those from the aforementioned schools.

ETA - I get the impression that there is a wide range of students at Liberty.  A lot of bright kids from strongly Christian families go there because of what it is, not necessarily the selectivity of the school or national recognition of the programs.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:22:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

they would never get an interview with me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been thinking about transferring there.

Some people I've talked to said they would scoff at a degree from LU because they teach creationism and it was founded by Jerry Falwell.

Thoughts?

The name of the school someone went to is kind of a stupid reason to turn down an interview (assuming they could have attended a program in your area of expertise).
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:22:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Liberty University degrees are very respected.

On-line degrees, in any way, shape or form, not so much.
View Quote

Looking at my transcript, there is no way for you to discern which classes I took online, and which were in a traditional classroom.

You'd have to judge me by how bad I screw up the interview
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:24:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been thinking about transferring there.

Some people I've talked to said they would scoff at a degree from LU because they teach creationism and it was founded by Jerry Falwell.

Thoughts?

That's a good sign then.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:24:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

We've had a couple really strong hires from Liberty.  I think both were accounting majors - maybe finance.  For school's in state, it's not UVA, W&M, W&L, UR or even VT    

In my field, I'd say LU is somewhere between Radford and JMU, i.e. a strong GPA and experience would be more significant towards getting in the door for an interview than the those from the aforementioned schools.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes it is respected.

Precisely. UVA, W&M, and VT (I guess ) = GTG in general. For the private schools like W&L or UR or even H-S, the sheer power of their alumni network is impressive. And they're considered academically solid. If a student can afford LU, why not look at other private colleges with more academic weight behind them?
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:26:39 PM EDT
[#8]
What kind of employers and what does the rest of their applicant pool look like?

People who are used to seeing lots of resumes with names like Princeton, UVA, Duke, Vanderbilt, etc. under the "Education" heading probably aren't going to take Liberty seriously. That goes double for professional hiring (i.e., law and medicine).
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:28:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

What career field, and why not?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea...Why not?

And no, I didn't go there.  I conduct interviews often and I don't see any reason to screen out those with a degree from LU.  

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:29:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What do you want to major in, and are you open to Virginia Tech?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes it is respected. Are you doing it online or are you planning on moving down here?

Keep in mind, it's different. I spent a week there for Boys State. Although if was over 20 years ago, not much has changed. I sure couldn't survive there but it's better than Connecticut.

I'm open to both, but I'm thinking of doing the online program so I can spend more time working.

Finances. I don't see why not.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:29:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Sure it is...
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:32:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Holy shit. That seems to be the developing consensus.

/Thread
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:32:31 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes it is respected. Are you doing it online or are you planning on moving down here?

Keep in mind, it's different. I spent a week there for Boys State. Although if was over 20 years ago, not much has changed. I sure couldn't survive there but it's better than Connecticut.

I'm open to both, but I'm thinking of doing the online program so I can spend more time working.

The Pamplin College of Business is highly respected and would carry much more weight than LU. Probably cheaper, too and Tech's campus is awesome and this is an awesome place to live.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:34:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't see why not, other than they carry a stigma of being the 13th grade like ODU or CNU. However, the only college's diploma I have ever heard of not being recognized by some is Hampden-Syndey College. That came from an '07 grad.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:34:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The Pamplin College of Business is highly respected and would carry much more weight than LU. Probably cheaper, too and Tech's campus is awesome and this is an awesome place to live.  
View Quote

This.

1. OP, are you a VA resident?

2. If no, then what other private colleges are you considering?

3. If yes, then are you looking at state schools? Finance? VT or UVA
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:34:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Don't know anything about Liberty University, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and assume it's not an unaccredited christian taliban indoctrination camp like Pensacola Christian College.

View Quote

Fixed it for you.

<----2010 PCC grad here, doing well too
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:36:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

How is their English department?
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:37:14 PM EDT
[#18]
If one had the grades and the money, William and Mary would be a stout degree to have. Though Williamsburg is a suckass place to live.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:37:15 PM EDT
[#19]
LU Class of 2013, Currently enrolled at the Seminary getting my M.Div to be an AF Chaplain. So far nobody has rejected my degree, but it's pretty new......

I'm the dork with the M-Frames. The dude in the suit is our Chancellor, Jerry Falwell Jr. This is from my Jr. year.

Are our degrees well regarded? Depends. Financially, we're better off than most other schools. It's weird going to a school with money. We're building buildings left and right, and always adding new things and new programs. Several people have already brought up the creationism issue, which is taught, but unless you're an environmental biology major, it won't directly impact you or your classes. Speaking from experience, our "Teaching creationism," is, for the majority of the students, a two credit class in "Creation Studies" that I played Angry Birds in, and still got an A. If you're a bio major, they still cover evolution, it's just given equal share with creationism.

I entered as a Nursing Major. Our Nursing program is very well regarded, as most students immediately find jobs at larger hospitals, and we have a 98% first time NCLEX pass rate.

Our Biology department consistently has above average scores on the MCAT, and most students get into med school (We're starting our own this year)

The Computer Science program is fantastic, but our Engineering and Math degrees aren't as good, simply because no one wants to get a degree that involves four years of math

We just started a new film school that is having money dumped into it. They ordered 22 RED Epics and a few RED Scarlets for them to play with.

Our Criminal Justice and Government program is top notch, and our Pre-law/Law school is one of the best in the state of Virginia.

And our School of Religion (Which I graduated from, Batchelors of Science in Religion, Biblical Studies. Last one before they changed it to a B.A. Yes, I have a B.S. in BS. )  is one of the best undergraduate schools of religion in the nation. Our Seminary is kind of a joke though, as it's less academic and more practical.

LUOnline is fantastic. I've taken several online classes as part of my residential degree, and depending on the class, they can be just as effective a learning tool as a residential class. (Some of them are wastes of time, but so are some residential courses.)

Campus life is not nearly as strict as Bob Jones, or PCC (I'm an RA, so I'm part of the "Christian Taliban" ) No drinking, going into girls dorms, and don't watch R-Rated movies. Other than that, it's pretty typical. We do have campus carry, and can use the LUPD shooting range. Our school is really, really, gun friendly. They've been talking about starting a three gun team for as long as I've been here, but most students don't have the cash....

If you have any more questions about coming to LU, shoot me an IM. I've been here long enough to know a little bit about almost every major, and know people on most areas of campus.

Heck, if anyone has questions about LU, ask me whatever you want. I'm bored.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:37:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This.

3. If yes, then are you looking at state schools. Finance? VT or UVA
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

3. If yes, then are you looking at state schools. Finance? VT or UVA

Or W&M. Actually I'd probably rank W&M ahead of VT (aside from VT having more alumni) for undergrad accounting/BBA. UVA if you want to work in "big finance" out of state (i.e., New York).
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:38:38 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey, I'm on my eye phone and am pounding down 18 year scotch. Cut me some slack

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:39:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Precisely. UVA, W&M, and VT (I guess ) = GTG in general. For the private schools like W&L or UR or even H-S, the sheer power of their alumni network is impressive. And they're considered academically solid. If a student can afford LU, why not look at other private colleges with more academic weight behind them?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd say their principles.  They don't want to pay to have to listen to and participate in a bunch of communist/feminist/LGBTQ propaganda, etc. BS for 4 years.  It's a harder road for sure, but not impossible for someone who is driven.

Also, UR costs more than 2x as much as Liberty.  I assume W&L is the same.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:41:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Fixed it for you.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed it for you.

PCC isn't regionally accredited
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:42:17 PM EDT
[#24]
My sister attended Liberty for law school.  I would say people take her very serious, and she is very wealthy at 34...  Liberty is not the "Univ of Phoenix", it is an actual school.

ETA: She works in Constitutional Law if you're wondering.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:43:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LETS GO
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:43:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed it for you.

Last I checked they were accredited through Tracs.

Worked for my employer.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:43:54 PM EDT
[#27]

As an MBA from a top 25 program, I will say that education is only part of the story.  If you show me a highly motivated 40 year old with an impressive resume and an online degree, I'd put money on the fact he/she could have gotten their degree anywhere.  Not all folks have the financial means to attend school at 18 and others lack the maturity at that age. I will say this: understand that there are some employers who will not give UPhoenix grads the time of day.  Be prepared to speak about your motivations for pursuing an online degree and others' negative perceptions.  Don't be surprised that it may take a while for these upstart online programs to develop a sample size of successful students to compete with higher learning centers that have been around for hundreds of years.

ETA: I've hired a few UPhoenix grads and they seem to have the same success rate as any other state school.  To close the door on these folks is short sighted and self defeating.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:44:46 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
LETS GO

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LETS GO

HOKIES

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:45:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

ETA - I get the impression that there is a wide range of students at Liberty.  A lot of bright kids from strongly Christian families go there because of what it is, not necessarily the selectivity of the school or national recognition of the programs.

View Quote

This is probably the most accurate summary of LU.

Five years ago, we were accepting any student with a pulse and the ability to say "Jesus"

Now, we have some money, and we've kicked out most of the idiots. With Jerry Falwell Sr. gone, the attitude around campus has relaxed a lot. in 2001, this was a training ground for the new Moral Majority. Now, we're a college were everyone shares the same beliefs. Best comparison would be BYU. Not the most outstanding academically, but not a joke. It's a place for like minded students to get an education that incorporates their religious beliefs.

So you're going to have some kids here who's parents are from the deep south, and have never seen an episode of American Idol because it's "Tha Debil." And you've got some kids who just want to get an education that includes their faith.

And just like any college, there's a top and bottom 10% of every graduating class, and they both get the same degree.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:45:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

No, I'm in Ga.

I'm honestly open to anything at the moment. I'm aiming to transfer from my Community College to either a private or a state college next fall. I'm trying to figure out which one.

I was interested in LU's online coursework for the flexibility.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:46:24 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fixed it for you.

Unfortunately, a lot of people don't seem to know the difference.  I think that many of their grads are going to be in for a rude shock sooner or later.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:46:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Consider it cut.  Enjoy your scotch!
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:48:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Worked for my employer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed it for you.

Worked for my employer.

Good for you. I know grads who have had trouble getting teaching licenses with the State of WI.

I went to MBBC btw
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:49:38 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gone now
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:50:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

a career field that falwell university cannot possibly prepare one for. i can only use people with very specific and relatively uncommon backgrounds and degrees.

and more importantly, i would simply decline to do business with such an individual, just like nobody should be forced to sell some dykes a wedding cake.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:51:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

No, I'm in Ga.

I'm honestly open to anything at the moment. I'm aiming to transfer from my Community College to either a private or a state college next fall. I'm trying to figure out which one.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

No, I'm in Ga.

Got it. Post graduation, where do you plan to kick off your career? In the South, I'd imagine all good potential employers who happen to be Bab'tists would look kindly upon a degree from LU.

Completely different story if you were from VA and wanted to work in the mid-Atlantic. There, you'd seriously suffer from the (correct) too-dumb-for-Radford or 13th grade stigma.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:52:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Well we have three basic groups here...

1. They have personal ties to Liberty in some form or fashion.

2. They are totally unfamiliar with the school and say it may be OK if your major is in the right field.

3. People who know of Liberty and don't have any ties to the school and have heard in general discussions that Liberty is generally a joke.

However from the sounds of it, I think you have made your mind up OP. And as I said earlier, careers aren't made by paper, rather by who you are.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:55:32 PM EDT
[#38]

Dunno, get one and find out.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:56:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
One of the things Liberty does well is aviation. I also know that their business program is solid- not great but better than other places.

If you went to Radford, you'll be in my neck of the woods my wife will graduate from there with an MBA.
View Quote

Never even knew Liberty had an aviation program... given my (former) line of work, current avocation and the fact that I live in the same state, that is strange....
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:57:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

No, I'm in Ga. .
View Quote

Does Toccoa Falls have a finance degree?

My wife went there for one of her degrees. Gorgeous place.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:57:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Never even knew Liberty had an aviation program... given my (former) line of work, current avocation and the fact that I live in the same state is strange....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
One of the things Liberty does well is aviation. I also know that their business program is solid- not great but better than other places.

If you went to Radford, you'll be in my neck of the woods my wife will graduate from there with an MBA.

Never even knew Liberty had an aviation program... given my (former) line of work, current avocation and the fact that I live in the same state is strange....

It's fairly new (6 years old I think)
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:58:15 PM EDT
[#42]
For an entry level job, your education is looked at much closer.  After you get some experience, no one gives a shit anymore.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:58:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

[snip]

View Quote

How dare you bring an informed opinion to this debate
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:59:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be about the same time I picked up the "former" modifier to the line of work part, so that makes sense.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:03:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, I'm in Ga. .

I'll have to look into that. Totally forgot about it, thanks.

It is a beautiful area..

The incident with the dam was very sad though...
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:05:12 PM EDT
[#46]
After 30 plus years in Government I have seen it all. The only question you need to know is if the school Accredited? Everything else is BULLSHIT. I reviewed some 171 forms over the years when we used them from applicants from some prestigious east cost schools and these kids could not follow directions or spell dog shit. A degree from Harvard, Brown, or Boston College may get you in the door but you have got to produce. Nobody cares at the Pentagon or any of the national collection agencies where you went to school. Trust me on this. Can you present yourself well? Can you speak and can you write? Do you have a skill we will pay you for? I can say that the very few I met from Liberty could all pass muster. Thats my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:05:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

[snip]

Yeah, I forgot that this was in GD....

Uh... dinosaurs.....test our faith........heathens...........Psalm 14:1.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:09:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:<snip>
View Quote

Awesome info, thanks!
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:19:45 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm going to go with the person who said mature student - already got a leg up on everyone else as it shows motivation and drive.

However:

National Accreditation - Worthless

Regional Accreditation - The only one worth having

I say that based on what the US Government accepts for citizenship applications post student. It only accepts the transcripts from regional. No national.

And I also agree with another poster.

Get some experience in your field and no-one gives a shit where you went to school.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:53:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Yale, Duke, and hundreds of other accredited schools are Christian schools. Both Yale and Duke currently offer Divinity programs and both teach creationism.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top