Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:44:23 PM EDT
[#1]
the next town east is "dry"

quotes because you just buy beer and take it there no one cares.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:45:33 PM EDT
[#2]
yes, now vaffan culo!
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:45:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quite a few Alaska native villages are dry.  They're dry because alcohol tears their families apart.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:46:43 PM EDT
[#4]
My grandfather lives in Grayson Co, TX.  It's semi-dry.  You can buy beer & wine, but no hard liquor.  If you bought a "membership car" for a couple of bucks you could drink at restaurants in town.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:46:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
As I remember stories about places in the US wich do not allow ANY kind of alcoholic beverages.
Entire cities or counties without alcohol.
Do they still exist, and why?
View Quote

I live in one.
Fortunately, in NC, a city or town can allow alcoholic beverages in a dry county.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:47:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There are a shit load of counties in KY that are dry.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bell County, Kentucky is a dry county. Do not know why.

There are a shit load of counties in KY that are dry.

Yep
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:48:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Dry County here. Legally.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:48:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quite a few Alaska native villages are dry.  They're dry because alcohol tears their families apart.
View Quote

They do have very good reasons for their policies.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:48:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Funny you mention this.  PA state store employee union ad in paper today urged PA to keep current system intact for the safety of the children.  The ad says that NC had one child per week die in underage drinking related crashes after they privatized.  Local 776s ad didn't mention if any NC kids died in underage drinking related crashed before NC privatized their system.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What I think is really fucked up is that there are still states in this country where you have to buy hard liquor from a state run store at twice the free market price. I don't know what it is about Baptists. They really seem to hate alcohol when they're sober.

Funny you mention this.  PA state store employee union ad in paper today urged PA to keep current system intact for the safety of the children.  The ad says that NC had one child per week die in underage drinking related crashes after they privatized.  Local 776s ad didn't mention if any NC kids died in underage drinking related crashed before NC privatized their system.

We still have ABC stores in NC....
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:48:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

what sense does it make?

in 2014, why can't people buy alcohol?
View Quote

Not a lot of Southern Baptist where you live I'm guessing.

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:48:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Yep.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:49:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ah, so punishing the people that can handle their booze, because some can't, is the American way.

It really is.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:51:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Ah, so punishing the people that can handle their booze, because some can't, is the American way.

It really is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It really is.

I don't agree with the laws, but very few to zero of them can handle booze.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:52:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Arkansas has a few.  When I go to motorcycle rallys down in Jasper, part of the tradition is bringing in alcohol from the wet counties.

I think Kansas might have a few dry counties as well.

(Carrie Nation is buried in Belton, MO Cemetery a couple blocks from my house.  She was the supporter of the dry laws that went around hacking up bars with a hatchet.  Most of the time, if you go look at her gravestone, it's covered in busted beer bottles.  Heh...)
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:53:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It really is.

Many are genetically unable to metabolize alcohol like the rest of us.

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:56:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It really is.

I don't drink. I made that decision. I didn't want, or need, the government to make that choice for me. If I wanted to drink myself to death, it should be no one's business but mine.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:57:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

what sense does it make?

None at all.. :D

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:58:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Yeah.  They exist all over the place.

Why?  Religion, unenthusiastic voting base, or stodgy local government.. take your pick.

I just got home from Robbinsville, NC.  It's located in Graham co. which is dry.

It's a tiny little town of ~650 people and is extremely church oriented.  Draw your own conclusions.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:59:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I don't drink. I made that decision. I didn't want, or need, the government to make that choice for me. If I wanted to drink myself to death, it should be no one's business but mine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It really is.

When they're sober, they don't want to drink either. Even one beer can fuck them up like a hit of crystal for a day or two.

So, since it's so powerful and destructive, they, as a village, have a no alcohol policy.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:00:14 PM EDT
[#20]
List of dry communities by state...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dry_communities_by_U.S._state

I've always found it a bit amusing that Lynchburg TN is a dry county
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:01:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
When they're sober, they don't want to drink either. Even one beer can fuck them up like a hit of crystal for a day or two.

So, since it's so powerful and destructive, they, as a village, have a no alcohol policy.
View Quote

And what happens then?

They still drink, still get fucked up, and get into legal trouble on top of it. Banning things NEVER has the desired effect.

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:06:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

And what happens then?

They still drink, still get fucked up, and get into legal trouble on top of it. Banning things NEVER has the desired effect.

http://www.tickld.com/cdn_image_content/17503.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And what happens then?

They don't have to live there. They could leave.

But that's a worse option than death for them. So they have their ways.

It's usually not the natives, the ones getting drunk, that get cocked up by those laws.
It's the jackasses running it, the dealers as it were, who run afoul of them, usually whites.
It's an enforcement tool, like broken windows and noise violations.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:06:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Blount County Alabama
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:07:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Pigeon Forge Tennessee used to be dry. There have been some votes but I'm not sure how far it went. It being the tourist town on the TN side of the Smokey's, with bad traffic, I can see why it was dry for so long. Gatlingburg has booze in the hotels.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:07:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Personally, I'm not aware of any counties that forbid you from possessing alcohol in your home/property, which is not to say it doesn't exist somewhere.

"Dry" tends to be in degrees. I know you can't buy a bottle of Jack Daniels' in the country where it is made, but you can buy fudge made with it, and other such things in Lynchburg (or could when I was there). My understanding was that spirits couldn't be sold, but wine and beer could. In the same way, there are counties here where you can't buy alcohol on Sunday.

I think the main drive is a morality thing, but there is no doubt some cost associated with licensing and regulating alcohol too (though I suspect the revenue far surpasses that cost).

Of course, we could just not regulate it, but hey, that's just preposterous.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:08:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Besides dry counties, still have other messed up laws such as the old "blue laws" here in wet counties in TX.  Liquor stores are closed on Sundays and you can't buy beer/wine at other stores until noon on Sunday.  Funny thing is there was a movement to overturn the ban on liquor stores being open on Sundays, but many who own liquor stores opposed it as they wanted their Sunday off!
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:11:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It's usually not the natives, the ones getting drunk, that get cocked up by those laws.
It's the jackasses running it, the dealers as it were, who run afoul of them, usually whites.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And what happens then?

All laws are just enforcement tools for the most part, if you take the sociopaths that only don't go on murder sprees because they don't want to go to jail out of the equation.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:21:17 PM EDT
[#28]
In my local area:
No alcohol sales between 12midnight and 10am every day
No alcohol sales on any election day.
I don't see very many Southern Baptist down here.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:23:58 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Yeah.  They exist all over the place.

Why?  Religion, unenthusiastic voting base, or stodgy local government.. take your pick.

I just got home from Robbinsville, NC.  It's located in Graham co. which is dry.

It's a tiny little town of ~650 people and is extremely church oriented.  Draw your own conclusions.
View Quote

Is the town actually dry, or are there people who drink living there?

My observation is that there are always some people who drink just about everywhere.

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:25:35 PM EDT
[#30]
There is at least one dry county in NC, maybe more.  No liquor sales on Sunday state wide.  It doesn't matter to me, I keep a stocked cabinet and only rarely drink.  I resupply about 2 a year.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:26:24 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Personally, I'm not aware of any counties that forbid you from possessing alcohol in your home/property, which is not to say it doesn't exist somewhere....
View Quote

The Volstead Act didn't prohibit people from possessing or using alcohol in their homes or on their property.

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:30:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Unless they recently went wet, Cullman Co, AL.

Which I've always found to be weird, considering a high proportion of Germans settled it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:31:47 PM EDT
[#33]
My state has three different classifications, dry, wet and limited.  26 dry, 9 wet and 60 limited.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:31:51 PM EDT
[#34]
I have lived and currently still live in dry counties my whole life.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:32:11 PM EDT
[#35]
I live in one as we speak, but luckily the small town hear is close to the Indian Res and gots permission to sales the juice 2 months ago..................
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:35:52 PM EDT
[#36]
In some Arkansas counties, yes.  The county I live in only recently became "wet."

Before legal liquor sales I could still go to any restaurant and drink beer and/or hard liquor, OR I could drive 10 minutes either North or South to neighboring counties to buy booze.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:36:28 PM EDT
[#37]
I live in one. I like it dry.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:38:16 PM EDT
[#38]

So much for Texas being free.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:38:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Last I heard, Calloway County KY was still dry. It's the home of Murray St University.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:39:46 PM EDT
[#40]
county went wet last year, the churches are working hard to get it rolled back
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:41:45 PM EDT
[#41]

Seems like a dubious map to me.  I'm from one of those counties in NJ that is yellow.  It is not a Semi-dry county... unless their idea of semi-dry is that you can't purchase alcohol after 4am.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:43:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Yes, thanks Baptists.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:45:10 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It really is.

I don't think you understand the scale of the problem.

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:47:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

This. I built dairies in several dry counties in tx. They would send one of the parts runners once a week to another county to buy 50-60 cases of beer and 20 or 30 gallons of liquor to keep the jobsite going for the week.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
According to Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission, there are still some in Texas

11 Dry Counties

This. I built dairies in several dry counties in tx. They would send one of the parts runners once a week to another county to buy 50-60 cases of beer and 20 or 30 gallons of liquor to keep the jobsite going for the week.

Damn!!! Are ya hiring????
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:47:55 PM EDT
[#45]
I stopped in the one of last ones in TX a few years ago to buy some beer for camping that night....Found some in the next county over that my camping spot was in
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:48:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
There is at least one dry county in NC, maybe more.  No liquor sales on Sunday state wide.  It doesn't matter to me, I keep a stocked cabinet and only rarely drink.  I resupply about 2 a year.
View Quote

It should matter. It's an encroachment on freedom.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:49:02 PM EDT
[#47]
We got alcohol 5 years ago
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:49:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Same reason you still can't legally buy weed in most places.  Moral busybodies who can't just mind their own business and feel the need to constantly try and "improve" others.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
what sense does it make?

Same reason you still can't legally buy weed in most places.  Moral busybodies who can't just mind their own business and feel the need to constantly try and "improve" others.

Yep, they know what's go for you ya know.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:49:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:51:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted: I don't think you understand the scale of the problem.  
View Quote

I don't care if one drink makes them die two days later. Free people should have the choice.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top