Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 1:33:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I don't want to toot my own horn but I'm fucking awsome.  My current employer hired me even though I had no experience with the software they use, and they thought I would take off at the first oppurtunity I got because they were paying so little.  Out of around 100 resumes sent out where I would have been a good fit they were the only ones to call me for an interview or acknowledge that they even recieved my resume.  I've since applied for two jobs, one of witch I can't imagine they will find a canditate more qualified than I am and have not heard a word either of them.

Hope your spell checker works on your computer when writing a document.

TXL
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 1:35:27 PM EDT
[#2]
We just shit-canned an applicant because he had two typos on his resume. One included a comma that was bolded for no apparent reason.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 1:36:11 PM EDT
[#3]
If it's only been a month, that could be part of the problem.  I bet some of the bigger companies take that long just to send an autpmated email to acknoqledge they have your resume.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 1:38:36 PM EDT
[#4]
a lot of companies are mining resumes, but not hiring.
I've seen a good bit of that lately.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 1:39:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If it's only been a month, that could be part of the problem.  I bet some of the bigger companies take that long just to send an autpmated email to acknoqledge they have your resume.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I got an email back within 24 hours to most major corps I applied to.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 3:36:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't work in what you'd call the "corporate world" but I'll still share my experience. First off, you absolutely have to tailor your cover letter to each job and make damn sure you through in as much detail that specifically says something almost like what they ask for in the ad. Bot of person will be looking for these "key words" so make sure your cover letter has them.

I don't change anything on my resume for each job. It's as honest as possible and shows all my work experience and education. Trying to BS your way into a job by fluffing up your work experience or education will either get you the boot shortly after you get hired or the person doing the interview will know you're full of BS.

DO NOT ATTACH your resume. Many companies are prohibited from opening attachments or scared to, you should always paste your cover letter then your resume under it into the body of your resume. Doing this gave me instant results over attachments. People that are sifting through hundreds of emails/resumes are going to be looking for those "key words" I mentioned above and moving on. Many peoples resumes no matter how impressive will never get a second glance if your cover letter doesn't ROCK!

Are you really as desirable as you think? Many people had better paying jobs before everything went to shit and because everyone was making money. Now that companies are lean you probably will not get that same paycheck unless you have very desirable skill set that only that pay will get them. If that's not you, don't expect to get paid what you did 4yrs ago or apply to jobs way over your realistic pay scale.

I have found two high paying jobs very easily I think and in short time considering. First company hired me then got all flaky on me, I ejected out of that situation. Pretty sure they are on the quick road out of business. That kind of killed my hopes but I just found an even better job one month later that pays more than I've ever made

Good luck,
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 3:43:35 PM EDT
[#7]
2 passes are made through a stack of resumes.

The first pass uses any excuse to disqualify and trash the resume.

The second pass is to select a candidate for interview.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 3:47:00 PM EDT
[#8]
If you think they are using a program to screen for key words do this: at the bottom of the resume place the job discretion make it #4 font and change the color to white. No one will be able to see it, but the program will key onto it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 3:49:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 3:50:08 PM EDT
[#10]
My wife is an HR manager for a large refining company.  She screens applicants based on their resumes before she picks who she is interviewing.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 4:06:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Someone higher up than I who works HR for a big local company tells me humans don't read resumes, the resumes are run through a program that looks for certain key words and phrases.  Those that are flagged by the program, those are the ones that go to a person to read and review in detail.

This.

Although I've recently told my HR department to stop doing that for my open positions as I'm actually having a hard time filling them.  I want to see everything that comes in for those reqs because I realize that many people have pretty poor resume-writing skills and I don't want to miss out on someone that may fit what I'm looking for.

As a hiring manager I had to do the same, and tell HR "STOP Helping me, just send me ALL the resumes". Otherwise I received NO resumes from them.

If your HR department is like ours, don't trust them to even know if someone fits the requirements.  I've been looking for a QE with experience dealing with automotive industry customers.  For two years.  HR hands me a stack of resumes.  I hand them back in two stacks, a large stack "NO Go on these 15."  Then the small stack.  "Contact these two."  After a couple weeks I ask if there's been any response on the two.  "One won't call me back, the other will be here tomorrow morning."  I greet the contender, HR hands me the resume and IT'S ONE OF THE STACK I SAID NOT TO BOTHER WITH!!!!  WTF???

Now I hold back all the No Go resumes so she CAN't call the useless ones back.  I'm still trying to fill the one spot left open.  After two years in this job market.  Sigh.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 4:14:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I've sent out over 250 professionally reviewed resumes and cover letters over the past 10 months. 4 interviews, no job. They always hire someone with more experience.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 4:34:49 PM EDT
[#13]
No.   Computers read resumes.  Find key words and kick out people who score high enough.  That's why EVERY job needs it's OWN resume.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 4:40:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm pretty sure if a company gets, let's say, 100 resumes for 1 job opening, some lower level HR guy is instructed to randomly chunk 95 of those in the trash.  Of the 5 resumes they have left, they might interview 2-3...then they hire someone from within the company.  Most of the time they already knew who they were going to hire in the first place but they had to jump through the legal hoops.  Of all the job openings, it's a very small percentage of people that get hired from just sending out a resume.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 4:47:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I had the same luck as OP. My last resort and last application was to a county Sheriffs Dept. They called me within 2 hrs... I wasnt impressed but I took the job as a jailer anyway. I needed a paycheck.
 (I used to make 70k a yr as an aircraft mechanic, now I qualify for food stamps)
Never stop looking

dude, theres tons of jobs for defense contractor aircraft mechanics, not a whole lot of people are qualified to do them. I find tons of job ads for them daily in my own job search. pm me, ill send you some links if you're interested.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 4:59:04 PM EDT
[#16]
From looking at the snippet of your resume you posted, it looks like your in or near Houston.

You need to move to the oil field.  Despite the governments best efforts, the offshore oil industry is prepped to BOOM again like 2005-2007.  Space industry is dead, quite unfortunate, but true.  It looks like your background mirrors some aspects of what we do in deepwater subsea controls.

I have some contacts for equipment vendors that design and manufacture deepwater oil field equipment.  PM me to get my email.  I'll pass your resume to some contacts I have.  Least I can do for a fellow ARFCOMER.

If you don't want/need my help, I suggest applying for subsea controls system manufacturer jobs (FMC Technologies, Cameron, GE Oil and Gas), Remotely Operated Vehicle (ROV) companies (Siapem, Perry Systems, Subsea7), or integrators (W-Industries, Honeywell, etc.).  These jobs pay well, and can pay great if you get into the service side.  Service engineering will typically be 100+ days year away from home though.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 5:02:01 PM EDT
[#17]
I am on the tail end of a 5 month unemployment stint. I am considering 2 career opportunities at the moment with a third coming later this week (when it rains it pours).

Of the three, two are because of personal connections, and one is from a 2nd degree sort of connection. So yes, it certainly is a "who-you-know" environment.

Keep your head up and keep plugging away. It is an awful thing to go through.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 5:03:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Look for smaller companies and send your resume directly to the owner/ceo.  I had a job offer last week by doing this and they didn't even have a job listed.  Look for places you want to work and send them a very short e-mail of 6-9 sentences that will serve as your cover letter and attach a resume.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 5:10:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Someone higher up than I who works HR for a big local company tells me humans don't read resumes, the resumes are run through a program that looks for certain key words and phrases.  Those that are flagged by the program, those are the ones that go to a person to read and review in detail.

One of my co workers(were both engineers) was looking for a new job closer to where all of his family is from.  He told me that what he would do was copy the job description for the job he was applying for and paste it into his resume.  He would then change the font to white and make it like a size 4 font.  Since alot of companies use some sort of software to look for keywords, his resume would pop up with alot of the key words, but apparently no one would be the wiser.  I dont know if it works or not, but he ended up with a fair amount of interviews and ended up getting a new job in a location he wanted to be at.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 5:13:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Do HR departments even look at resumes anymore?

You assume that HR people are capable of reading......
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 6:06:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Lamar University, 2005

University of Houston Clear Lake, 2008

A place to re-establish a network connection is where you were educated. Ask dept head if he knows anyone looking for someone with your skill set.
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 7:23:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I am on the tail end of a 5 month unemployment stint. I am considering 2 career opportunities at the moment with a third coming later this week (when it rains it pours).

Of the three, two are because of personal connections, and one is from a 2nd degree sort of connection. So yes, it certainly is a "who-you-know" environment.

Keep your head up and keep plugging away. It is an awful thing to go through.

It may be starting to pour.  I had a phone interview yesterday, and this morning a different company invited me for an interview in person tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:11:15 AM EDT
[#23]
So nothing came of the phone interview.  The in-person interview was pretty useless: I had to wait in the lobby for 3 hours before they called me in, the guy talked to me for 10 minutes, told me I was severely overqualified, and said he was going to recommend they make me an offer.  The job pays less than my previous job and will require me to be away from home for four weeks straight out of every 8 weeks.

On the upside, Bell Helicopter is having a job fair in Ft. Worth tomorrow, so I can have HR people not read my resume in person.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:43:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Or is everyone who is being hired right now getting a job because they already knew someone in the company?

In the last month I've applied for over 50 jobs that I think my experience makes me capable of doing.  I don't want to waste peoples' time so if I'm not qualified I don't apply for it.  Of those 50 jobs I would say about 10 of them were very close matches to my experience; so much so that I was really excited about seeing them.

Have you had your resume reviewed by anyone who reviews resumes for a living?

When I'm in a position to evaluate candidates, and I wind up with a stack of resumes, I quickly pitch half for misspellings, bad grammar, terrible formatting, things that don't make sense, etc.  If you can't be bothered to present a "perfect" resume, what kind of work are you going to do?

I'll also quickly scan for "buzzwords".  Not HR buzzwords like "synergize", but for ones that have to do with the job (and that were in the job description).  If I need a Linux systems administrator, and I don't see the word "Linux" in a quick scan of your resume... you get the idea.

I've heard some people say they pitch resumes that don't have a cover letter that ties the resume directly in to the job description.

And even after that, I wind up with a bunch of pieces of paper, most of which represent people who thought they could blow smoke up my backside and get themselves a job they aren't qualified for.  Knowing that makes me even more snarky.

So... get professional reviews of your resume.  Make sure it's actually saying what you want it to say.  Even with today's economy, there are a lot of just plain crappy resumes out there, and you can easily move into the top 20% with a little effort.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:46:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Not sure, I cant get a good candidate to save my ass.

When I left San Diego, it took me about a month, maybe 50 resumes, and 10 interviews to come up with one halfway-decent candidate... who wound up falling down on the job, and then it took a few more weeks and a few dozen resumes with a dozen or so phone screens to find one qualified candidate who turned the offer down and then another probably-qualified guy that they're moving forward with.

Lots of people who want jobs... but not so many who deserve them, IMO.  I think the economy fluished a lot of people out of the job market who were only there because of bubble economics, and who will have to compete for spots at Starbucks and the mall and McDonald's now.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:49:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Given that my wife is in HR, there might be some other issues as well.  First off, at her previous job, she was hired out of three hundred applicants and it ended up being because her previous boss is mentored by the owner of my company in YPO (who you know not what you know and overrun by a plethora or applicants).  If you have someone already in, having them tell whoever's doing the picking "hire this guy or you're an idiot," can at least get your foot in the door.

I was discussing a particular resume with my supervisor.  A coworker walking by did a double-take, and asked, "Are you talking about so-and-so?"  We quickly got an inside view into why this individual was beating the unemployment lines, and wound up saving our time.  We were going to interview him, as he seemed OK on paper, but we got the word he was just a straight-up BS artist who talked his way into jobs and then could never perform.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:51:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Post your resume, we will tell you why.

I would suggest a simplified one page resume tapered to the job.  Have several people proof read it for structure, grammar, spelling, content, etc.  Your head would spin at what turns people off on a resume.

Military dialog for schools is one example.  Nobody in HR wants to know what a good killer you were.

I always love reading the list of weapons someone qualified on, though  We could always use a good M-240 gunner around here...
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:54:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Normally, they take half and throw them in the trash. Nobody wants to hire someone who is just plain unlucky.

Bull.

When you see that someone hasn't worked in a year... they aren't "unlucky".

Lots of ways to fill that time.  Learn something new.  Volunteer somewhere, and post that as experience.  Take a class.  Teach a class.  Do something.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:55:08 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

People apply for EVERYTHING. My dept. had an opening for a web developer/programmer last year; you would not believe who applied. People who had 0.0% web programming experience...fucking secretaries, librarians, front desk 'managers', and some lady who thought working the phones at a day school made her a flash programmer?

There's some god damn retards out there.
+1

I have interviewed a number of programmers lately, and often it goes like this:

Me:  Talk to me about what it means when something is NP complete.

Them:  <crickets>

Me:  Tell me how to kill all of the PID's in a process group, but without killing certain PIDs in that group, assume there are thousands that need to die, but only a few to save.

Them:  You press control, alt, delete and look through the process list....
I'm pretty sure there are a lot of people out there who think that one Visual Basic class they took back in school qualifies them to apply for jobs that require unix and linux system development.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:59:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I've sent out over 250 professionally reviewed resumes and cover letters over the past 10 months. 4 interviews, no job. They always hire someone with more experience.

Why shouldn't they?

You need to sell your relative lack of experience as an asset in your cover letter.  Point out that you haven't been doing things someone else's way for decades, that you're willing and able to learn, talk about how much money they can save vs. hiring someone with more experience.

Nobody has a right to a job, no matter how many resumes they send out.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:02:20 AM EDT
[#31]
It is definitely who you know at my office to get hired in quicker and advance quicker versus "someone off the street"....

It isn't right
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:19:21 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

It is definitely who you know at my office to get hired in quicker and advance quicker versus "someone off the street"....

It isn't right

I'm an engineer and its exactly right for my field.

Someone who says "Yeah, I worked with that guy for a year, his work is solid, he is good under stress, and he works well with others on the team, even when things don't go his way"....that is worth 1000x more from my side of the desk than any of the bullshit that potential candidates try to shove at me.

Networking and reference are KEY indicators of job performance in all jobs where you get paid to think for a living.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:33:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I find it to be a case of who you know nowdays

THIS... ots how most people I work with got into Lockheed and similar companies
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:41:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Search me.  After more than 8 months of futile effort, yesterday I threw in the towel.  I will be starting on a master's in EE this fall, or sooner if I can manage it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:44:58 PM EDT
[#35]
I just got a new job in engnineering. Found it on Careerbuilder and emailed them my resume. I have to move out of state but I just about doubled my salary. I was employed when I accepted it though.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:45:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Send your resume to the person making the hiring decision instead of HR if you can.

These people are kept secret.  HR protects it's fiefdom by not letting applicants know who the hiring managers are, and then they protect themselves by removing any contact info from their websites.    For the majority of companies I've applied to, there is no way to follow up after submitting an application.

Hell, most of the companies I've worked for, getting in touch with HR, AS AN EMPLOYEE, is nearly impossible.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:54:26 PM EDT
[#37]
The only reason I have the job I have is now is because i worked here before and I left on good terms with the Director of my department.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:56:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Went to the Bell Helicopter job fair this morning.  Showed up an hour before it opened and there were already 300 people in line.  

Now, it's really amazing what happens when you take the brain dead HR people out of the process and let the potential employees talk to the engineers who are hiring: you end up with a useful exchange, and it takes less than two hours to get the interview process done.  One of the hiring managers says  I'm exactly what he needs, he's going to open a job req for me to apply to so he can extend an official offer, and he definitely wants to hire me.

Months dealing with HR zombies yields nothing.

A few hours of engineers working face to face and we have results.  Funny how that works...

Quoted:

45% of people out of work right now have been unemployed for more than 6 months.  There are some lazy people out there who don't want to work, but there are a lot more people who simply can't find jobs, because we have 10 million people unemployed.

Quoted:

I have interviewed a number of programmers lately, and often it goes like this:

Me:  Talk to me about what it means when something is NP complete.

Them:  <crickets>

Do your programmers work on the cutting edge of theoretical computer science?  Because if they don't, knowing about NP completeness and P=NP doesn't mean anything.  It doesn't help your business make money when you're hiring UX developers or any other code monkey.  It may make you feel really smart to ask them the question, but it doesn't advance your company's position in the market place.  Bullshit questions like this are why I hate interviews.  Ask relevant questions and let's not waste each others' time.  

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:17:07 PM EDT
[#39]
I was pretty frustrated there for a while, myself. I finally got a job offer because six people showed up to the hiring session, two passed the test, and they were trying to hire thirty. Even then, I don't think the HR person liked me much, and I mainly got by because the Roadmaster liked me.

I think it also helped that it wasn't the position I really wanted.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:36:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Back to unemployed for me - had a job for two weeks and the company cut me because they were "restructuring" but want me back in a couple months

Great! Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:05:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Went to the Bell Helicopter job fair this morning.  Showed up an hour before it opened and there were already 300 people in line.  

Now, it's really amazing what happens when you take the brain dead HR people out of the process and let the potential employees talk to the engineers who are hiring: you end up with a useful exchange, and it takes less than two hours to get the interview process done.  One of the hiring managers says  I'm exactly what he needs, he's going to open a job req for me to apply to so he can extend an official offer, and he definitely wants to hire me.

It's nice when the actual hiring managers can do that.  But don't forget... they're where they are because they're "in the trenches", doing real work.  If they were to start reviewing all resumes... they'd quickly become HR drones ;)

I got an unsolicited offer the other day.  I even tried to brush this guy off, but he was very insistent, wanted to buy me lunch, etc.  So, OK, sure... and he shows up with his prime's contract guy and one of the technical guys, and within two hours I have what amounts to a contingent offer.  But that's because he has a specific, immediate need... there's no way he can do that for every position that comes available.

Quoted:

45% of people out of work right now have been unemployed for more than 6 months.  There are some lazy people out there who don't want to work, but there are a lot more people who simply can't find jobs, because we have 10 million people unemployed.

There are a lot of people who can't find jobs that they think are "good enough" for them.  A lot of people who think it makes some kind of difference that they have bills, a family, etc. and they they "just have to" have a job that pays what they're used to getting.

Like I pointed out in another post, there is always something you can do instead of having six months, a year, two years of dead time on your resume.  You can create a way to fill that time.  Some candidates have done that, and they're the ones who will get the few offers.  Those who come in to interviews, simply moaning about how rough things are and how there has been NOTHING they could do in the past year that's productive... what, exactly, are they bringing to the table?

Like a lot of things, I am not arguing that "things aren't that bad".  Just that you, as an individual, can stack the deck in your favor.  You can show how you stand out from those ten million people out there standing in line.  And, ultimately, when people aren't doing that... how bad are things?  When someone moans that they have to get $80K to feed their family but has been on unemployment for a year... BS.  They just don't want to recognize that, right now, at least, they aren't worth $80K any more.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:14:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I was pretty frustrated there for a while, myself. I finally got a job offer because six people showed up to the hiring session, two passed the test, and they were trying to hire thirty. Even then, I don't think the HR person liked me much, and I mainly got by because the Roadmaster liked me.

This is what I'm talking about... an awful lot of the "unemployed" either don't want to work, or they simply aren't qualified to.  There is work out there, but not in the nebulous bubble jobs that have evaporated because there was no real value in them.

We see examples like this all the time... jobs going unfilled not for lack of applicants, but for lack of qualified applicants.  The fact that you used to make $80K as Senior Director of Internet Marketing doesn't mean you're going to get another $80K job because that's what you think you "need".

My God, how long ago was it that some manufacturing place wanted to hire a certain number of basically entry-level people, but could only scrape up about half, because most applicants can't read or write or do simple math or think logically?
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:26:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd guess your resume is being auto-rejected by a program. Review your resume and see if there's anything in there that might cause that to happen.

That is probably what happened.

Another thing to think about...Are you female? Are you a minority? Are you disabled?

Do you know someone at any of the companies?

I know a very large company here (Think Fortune 500 and in the double digits) that will post jobs but the positions are already filled.

They do this because if they didn't post them then they would be sued by every group out there for not offering the jobs to people who are not even remotely qualified.

BigDozer66

While male, 27 years old.  I decline to answer when asked.

I long ago exhausted my contacts, and I'm deep into unknown territory.

OMG, a young white male?  I hope you're gay or have 1 arm, or 3 arms, that would be good too.  Are you a Muslim?  Do you have some sort of crippling mental disorder?  Oh you don't?  Well then, don't call us, we'll call you.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:27:30 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
On the upside, Bell Helicopter is having a job fair in Ft. Worth tomorrow, so I can have HR people not read my resume in person.

I had breakfast with John Garrison Jr on Tuesday morning and gained much insight into his company. Good luck!
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 10:26:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Just a theory and/or my .02, but................

I can remember back in the 70's when I was unemployed for a while.  The unemployemnt office required me to apply for at least 2 jobs per week.

So........that ment I had to fill out applications/send in a resume.  It didn't matter if I was qualified for the job or not or if the company needed employees or not..........I needed to apply somewhere.

Well, now a days..........seems like every employer (even jobs paying mini. wage) wants a resume.  Can I blame HR for getting frustrated with all the applications/resumes?   I could imagine that a lot of the paper is generated by folks just wanting to fullfil the requirement to get their unemployment check. The HR folks already have a job.......and some just don't, "give a dam" about doing thier job.  Hey......is it time for: a smoke break, coffee break, lunch, or to go home yet?

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:03:05 PM EDT
[#46]
I hate HR.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:43:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
We hire through temps.

company I work for often does this too
less paper work for them and no benefits to pay out and easy to get rid of them and get someone else if after a couple weeks the new employee isn't working out
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:06:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I find it to be a case of who you know nowdays

Its always been better to know someone, then have the best resume.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:09:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
We just shit-canned an applicant because he had two typos on his resume. One included a comma that was bolded for no apparent reason.

Unless you're hiring for a copy editor or typesetting position, you're a moron.

I have never understood the fixation on flawless proofreading with resumes.  READ THE FUCKING RESUME.  Is the candidate qualified?  That's all that should matter.

Your mentality gets us the idiocy of "well, you have a double doctorate in neurology and oncology, but we're not going to consider you as a candidate for our senior surgical staff since you misplaced an apostrophe in your resume.  Instead, we're going to waste everyone's time and endanger our patients by hiring this worthless motherfucker over here who can't even spell 'neurosurgery', because his resume was perfectly edited with a computer."

Sure wish I knew which company you worked for, because I'm going to make sure I never do business with it in any way.  It's far too fixated on pointless bullshit and isn't putting any effort into maintaining core quality and capability.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:16:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Network, network, network.

+1   I have friends from other company's offering me jobs for positions i  am not fully qualified for.  Honestly it is Who you know and not what you know.  OP what field are you in?

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top