Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:06:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I think they have a general sense of time. I wouldn't use them to clock Olympic swimming events but they certainly know day/night/best time to chew up furniture, stuff like that.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:09:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll ask my GSD for his opinion on this matter.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:15:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Perhaps you should ask, "Does time have any concept of dogs?"

In which case I would answer, "Broccoli".

And that is the meaning of life.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:20:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I've always thought the 5 minutes : 5 hours thing was that they weren't sure if you were coming back, and they are simply happy that you did.  For example, I can be outside of my dogs view for hours in my work shop, but they know I was there, and don't give me the welcome home dad dance that they do if I'd just run into town for milk.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:21:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't really know, but my Lab will let you know it is time for dinner at around 5pm (+/- 15 Min) everyday.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:22:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I was gone for about 9 days recently.  My beagles definitely acted differently when I returned than when I get home from work every day.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:30:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My dogs always wake up at approx. the same time in the morning, and always start acting different right at about 5:30pm which is dinner time. They seem to have a sense for feeding times, otherwise no, they have no clue i don't think.

My dogs always seem to know when it is time to eat.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:41:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Supposedly no, they have no concept of time.  At the same time, they say dogs have the IQ of a 2-4 year old.  

Like others have mentioned, as a kid, my parents' dogs would get excited around the time Dad would get home from work, and would get worried and pace around if he was running late.

I don't know what my dog does, but yup, she goes spazzy whether I go to work, vacation, or just out to the garage to get a tool.  I can also say that she recognizes when we are getting close to the parents house, which is a 45 minute drive.  She'll be sound asleep in the back seat, and about 5 minutes out, still on the highway, she'll perk up, start wagging the tail, and looking out the window.  as we turn onto their street, she starts getting spazzy.  So, they must recognize a bit of time, or their SuperHearing and SuperSmell must really be kick ass to recognize things like being within a few miles of a particular place.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:47:10 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't think they recognize time so much as they pick up on patterns and they know that things happen in a certain order.  The dog knows you wake up after it hears the neighbors garage door open.  The dog knows it's time for dinner after you've come home from work and read the newspaper.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top