Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 5:06:27 PM EDT
[#1]
My mom is headed back to Wash DC for a big Daughters of American Revolution get together/meeting next week.  We also belong to the Mayflower society. To join those two groups your family line has to be very well documented and recorded both at the DAR and Mayflower archives

When my daughter was approaching college age I asked if we had any Native American blood (hoping for a free education )  Her response? Nope. Not a chance.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 5:09:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Dennis Hopper gave an insightful dissertation on ancestry in a movie named True Romance.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 5:12:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've heard the native American thing from a bunch of people, with nothing backing it up other than the stories. There has to be some underlying mxn or reason behind all the bullshitting about it.
View Quote
My grandma always said that was a way for families to cover up the  "black sheep" of the family...
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 5:13:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Then you had a million hippies decide that Indians were cool and claim to have some blood.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 5:15:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My grandma always said that was a way for families to cover up the  "black sheep" of the family...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've heard the native American thing from a bunch of people, with nothing backing it up other than the stories. There has to be some underlying mxn or reason behind all the bullshitting about it.
Do you mean black sheep  as in horse thief or as in "black"?
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 5:17:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Lot's of families have a 'native american' ancestor story. While a lot of them are not true, realize that autosomal dna tests like ancestry are only accurate to about 6 or 7 generations, about your 5th great grandparent, so it is possible to have NA ancestors, but you have so little of their dna it becomes part of the background noise (you share about 3% DNA with that 5th great GP, half that with your 6th).

As far a court house burnings, maybe Yankees, but more likely due to land disputes, burn the courthouse and you burn the deeds. 
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 5:21:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I actually do have a distant relative back in the day that married a full blooded abo... but they didn't have any kids.

I am 100% American euromutt.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 5:23:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Friend of mine says hes related to sitting bull and his wife to Pocahontas pretty sure its bs ill see if they will take the test
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 5:26:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 5:31:02 PM EDT
[#10]
A lot of people think they're of Native ancestry. Most of those people have never actually met Natives. I'll leave it at that.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 5:45:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Just for shits and giggles I did the full $200.23 and me saliva test. Waiting for my results. Should be back in a week or two.
This stuff kind of interests me.

We've all heard stories about where we were from and my understanding is Ukrainian Irish German and they small amount of American Indian. I will post back my actual results.

I will tell you one thing, I have the super super super super hots for any woman that is blonde and or of Polish/Russian dissent or accent.

I don't care how hot they apprar but no Italian woman or dark-haired Greek woman will ever turned me on.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 5:55:54 PM EDT
[#12]
@Maynard

This tickles my fancy.   The wailing and gnashing will be epic
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 5:58:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Unfortunately these tests do not tell the difference between "native American" as in Indians and "native american" as in Mexicans.
View Quote
Thats pretty funny considering they are the same people except some mexicans might have more euro dna.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 6:00:44 PM EDT
[#14]
White people love pretending to be injuns
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 6:04:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I did it too.

Turned out I'm less than 1% Senegalese.
I'm packing up to go to Harvard University to demand a minority faculty position.
View Quote
Same with me!! I am Irish, Scandanavian, Western European, and less than 1% Senegalese. I expected most of what I found, but I did not know that somewhere there was a Senegalese in the woodpile.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 6:04:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Some of the whitest people you will ever meet are the "Shawnee" around here.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 6:04:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
I find that amusing since they hate mexicans so much.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 6:08:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Next time you're at Lima you'll have to give yankee43 and me a report on the family festivities!
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 6:15:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
George Washington is my great, great, great, etc. grampa. Abraham Lincoln was a great, great etc. uncle and there is a long list of other great men in my family chain.
Are you saying this could be incorrect?
Jesse James actually was my great, great, great grandfather according  to my grandfather. He had a huge collection of memorabilia so I believe he believed it to be true. Not sure if that is something to be proud of or not anyway.
View Quote
George Washington had no kids. His wife had a kid already when he married her.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 6:21:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I did the complete 23andme test back when they also reported health related tendencies.  The ancestor part jibbed exactly with what my parents said; I'm UK plus northern, central, and eastern European.  Zero NA, Africa, southern Europe, and Asia.  As for health, I'm going to die from any number of typical things unless I have a fatal accident first.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 6:22:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/284452/IMG-0133-233653.JPG

Was told I was Sicilian, German, and Irish. I would say my results fit that.
View Quote
I wonder how far that dates back too?
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 6:23:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
George Washington is my great, great, great, etc. grampa. Abraham Lincoln was a great, great etc. uncle and there is a long list of other great men in my family chain.
Are you saying this could be incorrect?
Jesse James actually was my great, great, great grandfather according  to my grandfather. He had a huge collection of memorabilia so I believe he believed it to be true. Not sure if that is something to be proud of or not anyway.
And the last direct descendant of Abraham Lincoln died in 1975.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 6:25:01 PM EDT
[#23]
I took both the 23&me and the ancestry DNA tests.  I wanted to be able to compare the two to see if there were any differences.  They were slightly different, so I'm assuming the algorithms they use are different as well.  An example is that Ancestry says I'm 40% Scandinavian while 23&me says 10%.  Of course 23&me also claims 37% Broadly Northwestern European, which in my mind covers a pretty wide swath.  For comparison for those of you who may be interested in having this done, my results from each:

23&me:  
British and Irish:  34.6%
French and German:  12.9%
Scandinavian:  10.2%
Broadly Northwestern European:  37.1%
Eastern European:  0.6%
Ashkenazi Jewish:  0.2%
Broadly European:  4.3%
Everything else was <0.1%

Ancestry:  
Scandinavia:  39%
Europe West:  29%
Ireland:  13%
Great Britain:  7%
Iberian Peninsula:  7%
Europe East:  2%
Caucasus:  1%

Based on research my biological father (I'm adopted) has done, the ancestry one seems closer in that my paternal ancestors emigrated from Sweden to the United States in the 1880s.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 6:27:15 PM EDT
[#24]
My sister's was spot on.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 6:27:32 PM EDT
[#25]
My brother and I did it the old fashion way, birth , marriage, death, and Immigration records

100% Italian back 5 generations.Both sides, Nobody famous, one gangster gunned down in the 20`s was the only exciting thing we found.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 6:29:14 PM EDT
[#26]
wife went thru the same thing. Grandmother was born in Indian Territory, before Oklahoma became a state.
Family had a picture of a "Family reunion" around the end of WW2..there wasn't a white man in the bunch.
Every face, every strain of hair and overall presentation of the pic just said a group of 1st peoples getting together.

So her Grandma was an Indian, a by GOD Cherokee....a mere 2 generations back, Noble Redman must have fled her gene pool at birth.
80% British Island, 13% Irish, the rest mixed eastern European.

I was 83% British with 13% Mick thrown in and the rest Portugal/Spain, our family legend includes a middle name of my great grandfather. Monzoni and great great gran pater famila was a Dago, not so much...my brother who lives and breathes Italian food, married a 1/2 Italian import and even speaks Italian denies it...
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 6:30:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
LOL...here's a hint: they're all native americans.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unfortunately these tests do not tell the difference between "native American" as in Indians and "native american" as in Mexicans.
LOL...here's a hint: they're all native americans.
yet to see proof "Man" held any origins in the Americas...
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 6:34:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I find that amusing since they hate mexicans so much.
View Quote
That is NOT true!

Survey said we only want 50% of them to go back to Mexico..................they can leave the women here.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 6:35:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If you were in the military or if you go to the VA, then it's already on file.
So embracing my Senegalese ancestry...
whur muh repu-rations? Ah wants sum now!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Growing that database, one sucker at a time.
If you were in the military or if you go to the VA, then it's already on file.
So embracing my Senegalese ancestry...
whur muh repu-rations? Ah wants sum now!
They have mine, too. But now they are getting everyone else's.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 6:38:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The way my wife's family has talked you'd think they grew up in teepees. She took the test. Not a fucking drop.
View Quote
Lol...Don't you just love shit like that.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 6:44:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Would you please source your assertions?
When many of us were in the military there was no DNA test.

Regarding the VA, please provide verifiable evidence.
View Quote
When I joined the Marines in 1991, they took DNA swabs so our remains could be identified if needed.

At least that's what they told us they were doing. I still think that there is a warehouse somewhere storing a platoon of Super Marines that look just like me.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 6:51:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 7:33:32 PM EDT
[#33]
The ethnic estimates are not an exact science, they are guesses based on comparisons with other samples. 

For years there were Americans showing significant Middle Eastern in ethnic tests. It was just bad science. It turns out that since Middle Easterners are a mixture of Europeans, Asians, and Africans, an American with a similar mix could get a false positive as a ME. 

Also, there is actually very little Native American dna to compare with as few have taken tests and many NA also have mixtures of other races, such as European and African, further complicating tests. Not showing any Native American in any of the current ethnic tests is not proof you are not NA. 

Some people born with Native American features show 0% NA in ethnic tests, while their cousin with blue eyes and blond hair show significant NA. Current autosomal dna tests do not cover all your dna. They just test a little piece for a cheap ethnic estimate.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 7:42:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
welp.. you guns arent registered but now you are..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
welp.. you guns arent registered but now you are..
https://www.ancestry.com/dna/en/legal/us/privacyStatement#3

3. Will AncestryDNA disclose personal information to third parties?
AncestryDNA will not disclose personal information to third parties except in very limited circumstances which are set out below. Before AncestryDNA begins to transfer personal information to any third party acting as our agent, we will confirm that they have adopted, are subject to, or are contractually obligated to comply with the principles and objectives of this Privacy Statement.
i) In these scenarios: Examples of the limited scenarios where AncestryDNA may disclose personal information to third parties are: (a) with your knowledge and any relevant consents (for example, when you decide to share your Results with others); (b) as described in this Privacy Statement; (c) as may be required by law, regulatory authorities,or legal process;(d) as permitted to protect the rights or property of AncestryDNA, Ancestry Group Companies or other Users (including outside your country of residence); (e) to enforce our terms and conditions; (f) to prevent fraud or cybercrime; or (g) to permit us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
ii) To Ancestry Group Companies: We may share personal information with Ancestry Group Companies so that they may provide services to AncestryDNA and you (including to communicate with you) as described in this Privacy Statement, or provide the additional services of those Ancestry Group Companies to you, and/or for the purposes of connecting you to Users of the other websites operated by the Ancestry Group Companies. The Ancestry Group Companies are subject to similar privacy statements, which you should review. Additionally, as our business continues to grow and change, we might restructure, buy, or sell subsidiaries or business units. In these transactions, customer information is often one of the transferred assets, remaining subject to promises made in then prevailing privacy statements. Also, in the event that AncestryDNA, or substantially all of its assets or stock are acquired, transferred, disposed of (in whole or part and including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings), personal information will as a matter of course be one of the transferred assets.
iii) To your potential relatives: If AncestryDNA (or one of the Ancestry Group Companies) determines that you have a potential relative, you may be matched with that potential relative through the Service. Those potential relatives will be able to see how you are matched (including relevant family tree and/or potential relatives) and, depending on your privacy settings, other personal information, such as your ethnicity regions, your display name, or other profile information.
iv) Third party service providers: Under the protection of appropriate agreements, we may disclose personal information to third party service providers we use to perform various tasks for us, including for the purposes of data storage, consolidation, retrieval, analysis, or other processing, as well as effective management of customer information and to help us communicate with you. For example, we use third parties to process payments from you and to help manage the AncestryDNA Website and relationships with you. For performing the DNA Tests or storing samples we may use approved specialized laboratories or storage facilities. These third-parties are only given access to that information needed to perform their services, and are prohibited from using it for other purposes. These third parties may include affiliated and unaffiliated service providers in in the United States, Europe and in other jurisdictions.
Please note: If you click away from our AncestryDNA Website to visit the site of any third party advertiser or sponsor, you may be asked for your payment card or other personal information in order to purchase or use the products and services that those third parties offer. These companies have their own privacy and data collection practices. We have no responsibility or liability for these independent third party policies. You should therefore review their privacy notices carefully if you have concerns about how personal information may be used. In addition, when you visit any other sections of the Ancestry.com website, you will be subject to the Ancestry Privacy Statement which you should review and understand.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 7:47:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 7:50:59 PM EDT
[#36]
My wife did it.

It could not have been more what I expected.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 7:51:01 PM EDT
[#37]
My wife and I did it too, both of us are 99.9% whitey.  Both families have "native American" stories too, which as it turns out were complete bullshit.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 7:52:26 PM EDT
[#38]
So OP what is your  DNA breakdown?
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 7:55:02 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm beginning to wonder if ANY of these family "Indian ancestry" tales are true.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 7:58:46 PM EDT
[#40]
I don't understand why people desperately want to claim Native American lineage.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 7:59:34 PM EDT
[#41]
indian and family crest threads are the best
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 8:08:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Does this mean I can hate on the 'Man'?
You have more Neanderthal variants than 99% of 23andMe customers.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 8:10:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Same thing happened to me.  Both sides of my family claimed Native American heritage but I came back 0%.  Over the years I've done a bit of geneological research and could never find any evidence of Native ancestry and the DNA just confirms it.  I do think my mom's side has something else mixed in there because several people are pretty dark in complexion and I recently found a photo of the couple I had narrowed down as the likeliest source of Native ancestry.  She's as European as I am but he looks like he has Indian (India) ancestry, or at least Southern European.  My DNA has trace elements from Northern Africa, the Middle East, Greece/Italy, Spain and Polynesia 

This is the couple.  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/42575/Houston-Lafayette-Jewell-and-Eliza-Beshears-233623.JPG
View Quote
0% Native American 
100% Crazy Eyes
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 8:10:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 8:11:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I don't understand why people desperately want to claim Native American lineage.
View Quote

I think all the western movies, radio programs, and TV shows in the 40s and 50s made it popular to claim some "indian" heritage.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 8:14:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 8:15:51 PM EDT
[#47]
not sure
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 8:18:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Growing that database, one sucker at a time.
View Quote
Your ignorance is putrid. I took one of the DNA ancestry tests also. Mine was spot on. Kind of blows your ignorant comment off.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 8:18:50 PM EDT
[#49]
My brother did his (his wife is a part time genealogist).

It matches up with the family stories.

Mom is 100% Italian (or Sicilian) with some Arab, African and European tossed into the mix.

Dad is a Swedish / Norwegian 50/50 mix with some Brit, Irish, and German tossed into the mix.

Mom's ancestry can be traced back until the mid 1500's.
My SIL traced it back, a Uncle and an Aunt went to Sicily and found records in government and church files.  

Dad's ancestry can be traced back to the late 1700's.

My dad's name was anglicized in the mid 1900's by his father after he immigrated to the US.
Me and my brothers have always wanted to change it back.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 8:20:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
So you paid your own money voluntarily to have your DNA put in a data base that others can access, with out your knowledge.
View Quote
Yeah, I did too. So what? You afraid someone is going to clone your paranoid ignorance?
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top