Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 5:58:45 AM EDT
[#1]
C'mon guys, everyone knows right after you start licking boots they won't take your guns
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 5:58:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Magazine should be called Guns and try to find some Ammo.

I haven't subscribed for years.
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 6:10:30 AM EDT
[#3]
have had a G&A sub for years but i do (did) watch their TV shows. The old guys on that show cant shoot for shit! some of the worst trigger slapping i have ever seen.

So have we heard from G&A yet?
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 6:16:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I seem to recall Metcalf was involved in a scandal when I was just getting into firearms. I seem to recall he held a competition and folks didn't get payouts or something like that. I have not cared for him since then. That was perhaps 20 years ago.
View Quote

I remember that vaguely myself.  It was a total screw up.  Winners didn't get paid.
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 6:16:36 AM EDT
[#5]
doubletap
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 6:28:53 AM EDT
[#6]
I stopped taking Metcalf seriously years ago. He pushes Judges like his brother owns the company and spreads a lot of old school BS as "facts".

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 6:38:18 AM EDT
[#7]
I gave up reading Guns & Ammo and similar magazines a long time ago. They're nothing but paid shills for the gun manufacturers. You will never see a review in them that pans a product. Their motto seems to be, "If you can't say something nice about a new gun, don't say anything at all." Even the worst junk will pass muster in the gun press. As far as gun rights go, the gun press is not necessarily our friend.
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 7:01:16 AM EDT
[#8]
My only real exposure to DICK Metcalf has been on the old Modern Sporting Rifle show (the one where the other host, James Guthrie died), and now the Guns and Ammo show on the Sportsman's channel.  He has always seemed like a grade A douchebag.  Suspicions confirmed.
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 11:20:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Bump.
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 11:36:54 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I gave up reading Guns & Ammo and similar magazines a long time ago. They're nothing but paid shills for the gun manufacturers. You will never see a review in them that pans a product. Their motto seems to be, "If you can't say something nice about a new gun, don't say anything at all." Even the worst junk will pass muster in the gun press. As far as gun rights go, the gun press is not necessarily our friend.
View Quote

Gun magazines (I've yet to find a single one) that contains ANY negative reviews about anything.

Then again, in this day and age when print media is dying, what (if any) magazines can really afford to write articles slamming a product? It's suicide.
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 11:38:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Fuck that dude
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 3:57:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I remember that vaguely myself.  It was a total screw up.  Winners didn't get paid.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I seem to recall Metcalf was involved in a scandal when I was just getting into firearms. I seem to recall he held a competition and folks didn't get payouts or something like that. I have not cared for him since then. That was perhaps 20 years ago.

Then there was the DQ'ing of some kid so someone of his family got a prize,  forget what the specifics were but he went over the RO's head to do it, it can be found over on Enos forum
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 5:57:15 PM EDT
[#13]
I can't believe this hasn't gone anywhere...
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 6:20:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I read the article eariler.. it is as messed up as towgunner said. he bragged about the part he played in banning machine guns and said he supports the CCW policy of illinois. Who offers the majority of CCW training in illinois? Who gets paid for that 16 hours of training? Who gains?

In any case I am canceling my subscription Monday.
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 8:19:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Bump for more pitchforks and a response from G&A.

The worst thing about this is that the antis love using drivel like this to bolster their arguments.
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 9:04:27 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Tagged. If this is true he needs to be Recoiled/Zumboed.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/1/2013 9:08:01 PM EDT
[#17]
I wrote on the Guns and Ammo Facebook page...how many have you?

Get writing!
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 9:08:55 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Got the issue in the mail today.  Let's see what OP is talking about....

The title of the column:

"Let's Talk Limits: Do certain firearms regulations really constitute infringement?"

The last paragraph:
I would ask Mr. Metcalf, why stop at 16?  If 16 is not infringement, what about 32?  64?  I'm off to read the rest.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The title of the column:

"Let's Talk Limits: Do certain firearms regulations really constitute infringement?"

The last paragraph:

I don't think that requiring 16 hours of training to qualify for a concealed carry license is infringement in and of itself.

But that's just me... .

I would ask Mr. Metcalf, why stop at 16?  If 16 is not infringement, what about 32?  64?  I'm off to read the rest.
the license is the infringement

Link Posted: 11/2/2013 6:36:09 AM EDT
[#19]
bump for great justice
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 6:38:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It's an editorial piece on how he doesn't think we are regulated enough and that some sort of mandatory government firearms training is necessary in order for us to exercise our rights to k&ba.
View Quote

A little bit more education in order to vote?

A bit more education to become a property owner.

And yet we don't need a college education to run for President.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 7:01:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The title of the column:

The last paragraph:

I don't think that requiring 16 hours of training to qualify for a concealed carry license is infringement in and of itself.

But that's just me... .

Link Posted: 11/2/2013 7:50:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The title of the column:

The last paragraph:

But that's just me... .

That is the way I see it. The license is the infringement! The Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms!
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 9:48:20 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm surprised this isn't getting more attention, especially after the shitstorm that Recoil magazine kicked off with their statements.

The Truth about Guns picked up the story
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/11/robert-farago/guns-ammo-supports-gun-control/
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 10:02:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Just posted my complaint also.

Guess we'll see what happens when they start to read them all.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 10:03:59 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I would support mandatory firearms training for K-12.   It can be graduated as the kids grow up,  safety,  marksmanship,  law....

When anti-rights types wring their hands about accidental shootings involving children I always suggest that K-12 safety training would go along way to preventing these accidents.   I love watching their heads explode at the very suggestion....I then tell them that it is obvious that they hate guns more than they love children....more splody head goodness ensues....

They would never agree to such a thing.....it would ensure generation after generation of responsible and educated gun owners like we have never seen before....and once they turn 18......they can vote.  

Libs won't stand for that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

His whole argument rests on the fallacious assumption that "well regulated" applies to citizens and their right to own firearms.  I can't really link to a magazine article- I'm sure someone will..  He is basically pushing for a 16 hour mandatory training for concealed carry, and is unable to see how this gem of legislation could and would be misused.

I would support mandatory firearms training for K-12.   It can be graduated as the kids grow up,  safety,  marksmanship,  law....

When anti-rights types wring their hands about accidental shootings involving children I always suggest that K-12 safety training would go along way to preventing these accidents.   I love watching their heads explode at the very suggestion....I then tell them that it is obvious that they hate guns more than they love children....more splody head goodness ensues....

They would never agree to such a thing.....it would ensure generation after generation of responsible and educated gun owners like we have never seen before....and once they turn 18......they can vote.  

Libs won't stand for that.

Beyond the obvious state education issues inherent in that idea, it is also fatally flawed itself.

'Mandatory training' is almost literally stating 'You will not own or carry a firearm unless x-y-z, and I will use force to prevent you from doing so'.

Fuck that "mandatory" mindset.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 10:04:55 AM EDT
[#26]
I cancelled my G&A subscription years ago.  Very little worth reading after  Col. Jeff Cooper died.  This commie Metcalf fellow sounds like he needs to go work for Troy.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 10:15:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Is there any truth to the rumor that Dick Metcalf is Harry Reid's gay boy toy?  Wonder how Dick feels about Reid's rumored NAMBLA membership?

Link Posted: 11/2/2013 10:36:57 AM EDT
[#28]
I stopped subscribing years ago and would occasionally pick one up in the store.  No more G&A for me.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 10:51:28 AM EDT
[#29]
I dont understand how someone would not see how publishing this article would create an uproar throughout his reader base
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 2:21:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 2:32:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I dont understand how someone would not see how publishing this article would create an uproar throughout his reader base
View Quote

Any press is good press?  Really?

I haven't read a proper shiny gunrag for years.  That's why I missed it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 2:35:42 PM EDT
[#32]

Thanks for the article.

Metcalf doesn't get it, apparently.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 2:39:12 PM EDT
[#33]
hope they ditch the Dick. posted and tweeted that shit. no tolerance for sellouts
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 2:46:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Thanks for the article.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks for the article.

I just read it.  Sounds a lot like the "sensible gun control" line 'O crap advocated by countless anti-gunners.

I'll let my Shotgun News subscription run out and send G&A, Shotgun News and their parent company proper snail mail letters explaining my disappointment.

Metcalf shouldn't have wrote the article and his editor shouldn't have allowed it to run.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 3:00:46 PM EDT
[#35]

It's as bad as the OP said.

I'm going to fire up the printer and send off an ol' timey letter to G&A.  

FDM.

Link Posted: 11/2/2013 3:04:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Just re-read it. The last paragraph just sad. When discussing the ruling are the justices in Illinois openly admitting that the state was trying to perma-ban all cc carry?
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 3:35:05 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm not renewing my sub, even if it is cheap.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 3:50:55 PM EDT
[#38]
I haven't read that garbage in years, so I can't send any kind of boycott message.

The guy sounds like a total butt dart.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 8:50:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Tag
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 9:11:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Here is a quote of Metcalf from the lastest G&A: "And I do believe that their fellow citizens, by the specific language of the Second Amendment, have an equal right to enact regulatory laws requiring them to undergo adequate training and preparation for the responsibility of bearing arms."
View Quote

"...the responsibility of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Oh, wait....

I don't want to hear a damn thing about responsibilities coming before rights, as the flow runs the other way.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 4:23:36 AM EDT
[#41]
I read GD daily and and always look for topics like this. yet this morning is the first time I saw this topic.  weird., I always click next page until I get to the time I was last here.
\as for DM  may herpes be upon him.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 4:28:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Metcalf has been an idiot as long as he's been a gun writer.   On pretty much any topic he chooses, he has idiot opinions and makes idiot statements.

He's perfect for Guns and Ammo.
View Quote

That makes him the Keith Olberman of the gun world.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 4:30:37 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
BINGO you fucking hit it on the head
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe he is thinking his pet gun organization is gonna get big money out of such a scam? as in mandate training, and his Organization fills the void.

BINGO you fucking hit it on the head

+1

Link Posted: 11/3/2013 4:33:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 4:34:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
hope they ditch the Dick. posted and tweeted that shit. no tolerance for sellouts
View Quote

If you want to get rid of him, e-mail the ADVERTISERS.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 4:37:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

+1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tagged. If this is true he needs to be Recoiled/Zumboed.

+1

Link and Magazine contact info

We need to crush them with complaints.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 4:44:12 AM EDT
[#47]
I came here to post something negative about Guns and Ammo and the crap Dick Metcalf wrote, but then I realized I have not yet had my 16 hours of First Amendment training, so I can't.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 4:47:37 AM EDT
[#48]
I wish I had a G&A sub so I could cancel it, but I haven't subscribed to them in probably 5-6 years. Their magazines are just ads and fellating whatever shitty gimmick is out this week.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 4:54:52 AM EDT
[#49]
Lol..when you google Dick Metcalf, a thread of ours from 2010 is the 2nd link. The link title:

"Your picks for biggest Doofus gunrag writers?"

Link Posted: 11/3/2013 5:12:00 AM EDT
[#50]
I just subscribed to Shotgun News last week. After reading this thread I sent off this email to Shotgun News:

To whom it may concern,

I am a new subscriber to Shotgun News. I recently read an article "The Backstop" by Dick Metcalf  in the Dec issue of Guns & Ammo. I realize it is an opinion piece but the last thing we need in our shooting communities is another person attempting to change the meaning of the Second Amendment. I will not be renewing my Shotgun News subscription and will never bother to read any of the following sister publications again; Guns & Ammo, Handguns, Shooting Times or Rifle Shooter.

DKM
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top