Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 3:25:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Wouldn't the assessor plots cover what land is theirs?

Link Posted: 3/13/2021 4:02:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You can have someone arrested for traspassing in a boat above your submerged land down here
View Quote

That statement sounds too broad to be accurate...  Why wouldn't that conflict with the Federal Navigable Waterways?
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 4:11:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Florida and waterway/beach access can be really goofy.

Don't live on the beach or a navigable river/stream if you don't want headaches.

Still... Dev. Is looking to get ded-ed with this shit.
View Quote

Beyond a reasonable doubt would be hard when so many have a motive.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 4:25:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Holy shit, I've never seen that... and some people really want to say people don't need semi automatic magazine fed rifles, the police will protect you.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 4:39:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Even if the developers screwed this up the current owners have been there so long that I’d think that they own the land now through adverse possession. As to the use of the canal would be covered by a prescriptive easement.

Not an attorney, not legal advice.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 4:40:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Lol. That's how you get murdered
View Quote

Succinct.

Link Posted: 3/13/2021 5:12:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I know this is happening a mile south of it but Hillsboro mile used to have some organized crime figures living there.  I remember reading about one that was suspected of killing Hoffa.

I wonder if people do background checks on their victims before pulling a scam like that.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 5:19:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Used to go surf fishing there before Pompano sold it.
View Quote

Wasn’t there a small pavilion and a small lake fed from the ocean with bridge across it?
My father lives within walking distance right off 14th. I kind of remember it as a kid. I see the lake on satellite view but don’t see to lot or pavilion.
Map says north ocean park is still there it just looks like they got rid of the parking.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 5:26:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Inm not reading the article but it sounds like some shit a Chinese company would try and pull.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 5:26:29 PM EDT
[#10]
From reading the article I get the impression that the original developer dug the canal and kept the deed for that part of the property.

This guy appears to have bought that deed/deeds and since the property was originally "dry" he's asserting rights over it.

If the canal is man made and the original deeds didn't explicitly convey any access rights, could the current owner have the right to deny access?

I don't know anything about Florida law, I'm only going with assumptions here, but might he have a good argument, "legally".
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 5:30:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 5:53:59 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is why people hate attorneys

"For $150,000 my client will let you use your dock"

Attorneys are scum
We almost never make people crawl in hotel hallways then shoot them when their shorts fall down "and they reach for their waist line"

We also rarely have our offices burned down by angry mobs.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/temp-96.gif

Link Posted: 3/13/2021 7:23:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
After reading the article that guy is a grifter and a swindler.

He buys underwater properties and uses incorrect surveys to place a claim and sure adjoining properties for millions and settles for thousands.

Someone should make him go sleep on his property permanently... you know, with the fishes.
View Quote

We had a guy try something similar on some client lands.  He buys a small parcel next to our 8,000 acre tract.  All of a sudden says he owns this slice of our land, that amazingly gives him half our public road frontage.

They told me to go out there and meet him, after a fruitless discussion about how he thinks the line runs is impossible within the physical world in which we live, I finally said "Do what you gotta do.  But you're wrong.  And the people you're fighting own 1.5 million acres in this country and have a whole office full of lawyers who have nothing better to do than fight guys like you.  I'm going to write a file memo about our conversation when I get back and will send it to Legal.  Have a nice day!"
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 7:24:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Until you need one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

“For $150,000 my client will let you use your dock”

Attorneys are scum

Until you need one.

YOu typically don't need one until you are being fucked by one.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 7:32:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I would love to see his title chain.  As I understand it, the State of Florida owns submerged lands, and has owned them since Florida became a State.  They have ceded those rights to other political subdivisions (counties) if the county can show a public purpose/use (Port Authority is one type.)

View Quote

You know, it just struck me and my business deals with land legal issues all the time:  In this country we have a strong body of law that protects private ownership of dry land but almost exclusively rejects private ownership of submerged lands.  Why is that?
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 8:05:57 PM EDT
[#16]
The USCG still does burials at sea.  No one said the guy had to be deaded....
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 8:07:43 PM EDT
[#17]
How’s my title insurance bro’?

Insurance companies will duke it out.  Years.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 8:19:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You know, it just struck me and my business deals with land legal issues all the time:  In this country we have a strong body of law that protects private ownership of dry land but almost exclusively rejects private ownership of submerged lands.  Why is that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would love to see his title chain.  As I understand it, the State of Florida owns submerged lands, and has owned them since Florida became a State.  They have ceded those rights to other political subdivisions (counties) if the county can show a public purpose/use (Port Authority is one type.)

The short answer is to promote commerce via navigation.

Here's an in depth analysis from Florida's point of view.

https://ir.law.fsu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1715&context=lr

The Florida Bar's explanation.

https://www.floridabar.org/the-florida-bar-journal/sovereignty-lands-in-florida-its-all-about-navigability-part-i/

https://www.floridabar.org/the-florida-bar-journal/sovereignty-lands-in-florida-its-all-about-navigability-part-ii/
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 8:22:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Attorneys are scum
View Quote

Attorneys are mouth pieces for clients. The client here is the scum.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 8:26:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Open Midnight pass!
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 8:40:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Wouldn't the assessor plots cover what land is theirs?

View Quote

Tax maps aren't legal descriptions.  The Assessor will be the first to tell you that.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 8:42:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That statement sounds too broad to be accurate...  Why wouldn't that conflict with the Federal Navigable Waterways?
View Quote

We've got some Kings Grant trout waters that the State Supremes ruled are indeed private submerged lands and access to the waters can be prohibited by the owners.  VDGIF hates that ruling.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 8:44:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Some title insurance companies are going to take a hit.
View Quote

First thing will be a survey... developers say lots of things... title deeds often disagree. Then we have that whole adverse possession thing.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 8:47:20 PM EDT
[#24]

Ah.  Now it makes sense.  Same way that roads are generally public property.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 8:54:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The USCG still does burials at sea.  No one said the guy had to be deaded....
View Quote

I'm gonna have my guys dump my ashes from a CG H60.  And bring a shopvac
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 9:13:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Attorneys are scum
View Quote

People really do hate attorneys. No group has ever been as polarizing. Angry people demonstrated all over the country in 2020 because of attorneys. The term "ACAB" stands for "all attorneys are bad." They have such a bad image. It would suck to be an attorney. Thank God the pay is good and you can set your own hours, or nobody would even do it. Everybody would just skip an advanced degree and get an hourly, union job.

On topic, there wasn't enough information to determine whether this was a legitimate or illegitimate claim on the property in question in the article. So any reaction has its basis in emotion, not law. That never happens.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top