Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 12:57:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm glad I stocked up on rocket motors when they were cheap.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 1:03:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
That sucks. Oh well, back to hybrid motors....... Ever see a salami used as fuel?

Why yes, yes I have.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 1:05:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Crap..there goes my plans for my fleet of R/C cruise missles.

They're after R/C aircraft too.

On Fox News they called them "drones that can be bought over the internet".
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 1:14:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What direct consequences will this ruling have for the end user should it occur?

The INTENDED consequence will be to make shipping so expensive, the required paperwork so complex, the Bob's Hobby Shop will decide to not handle model rockets anymore.

And Bob would not want the hassle of perhaps having the Fire Marshall and the Zoning people asking why he is storing explosives on site.

Then Johnny Wizbang, the kid that wins all the science fairs will have to find some other outlet for his energies on Saturday afternoons.

And yes, next they will go after Model Aircraft.  I'm surprised the EPA has not tried to hold model engines to the same standards they hold your car or other equipment.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 1:18:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

On Fox News they called them "drones that can be bought over the internet".

You're shitting me. Right?

Right?
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 1:24:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Man nobama sure seems to have it out for rockets, first  practically gutting NASA now this. What's his problem did the kid up the street not let him play with his rocket?
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:16:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
PLEASE READ

Here's a sample email that you could fill with your name and send the feds to possibly stop this in its tracks. Please take the time to send this and help fight this attack against our harmless hobbies. It will only take a couple minutes of your time. THANK YOU.

TO: [email protected]
Subject: DOT-SP 7887 Show Cause Response

Dear Associate Administrator,

The purpose of this e-mail is to request that DOT-SP 7887 be kept in force as written. The Special Permit, previously DOT-E 7887 has been in place since 1978 and is used by many of us who enjoy hobbies including model rockets, motors and igniters.

To my knowledge, there has never been an incident involving the shipping and transporting of model rocket motors and igniters. Further I believe that shipping these products as "Explosives" will create unnecessary fear and difficulty for those handling, transporting, receiving, storing, selling and using these products.

After 33 years of use, the termination of the Special Permit is unwarranted and possibly damaging to an educational and recreational product that has an excellent record. In closing, I again request the Special Permit be kept in place as written.

- Your Name and Address

Email Sent.  

Model Rocketry was a huge hobby of mine as a kid.  Hopefully someday, I'll be able to share that with my  kids.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:19:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

And Op... If you knew anything of hazard classes, you would know Explosives are also divided up into 'Divisons' .... For Example: Division 1.1 – Explosives that have a mass explosion hazard, i.e. a mass explosion affects the entire load instantaneously.

Ya - I know. I usually deal with items that are more energetic than a popcorn-fart model motor. What I want is to see the basis for the classification and run it by real weapon safety professionals for their opinion. If anyone finds the report, I know the pros...
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:29:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And Op... If you knew anything of hazard classes, you would know Explosives are also divided up into 'Divisions' .... For Example: Division 1.1 – Explosives that have a mass explosion hazard, i.e. a mass explosion affects the entire load instantaneously.

Ya - I know. I usually deal with items that are more energetic than a popcorn-fart model motor. What I want is to see the basis for the classification and run it by real weapon safety professionals for their opinion. If anyone finds the report, I know the pros...

I'm with 'ya on that... the basis for the re-class... I'm curious as well. I'll keep my ear to the ground and see if I can find out anything.

I'm a member of the Dangerous Goods Advisory Council... I may shoot a email over to a contact, see if he knows or has heard anything.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:31:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This administration doesn't like model rocketry because they worry that some bright individual will combine model rocketry with GPS guidance and turn model rockets into instruments of war that can be used to attack government offices and workers.

But it's more practical to use R/C aircraft, rather than rockets.

Oh thats gonna get checked to . . . .just wait an see
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:34:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This administration doesn't like model rocketry because they worry that some bright individual will combine model rocketry with GPS guidance and turn model rockets into instruments of war that can be used to attack government offices and workers.

But it's more practical to use R/C aircraft, rather than rockets.

Or a combination...
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:39:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Man nobama sure seems to have it out for rockets, first  practically gutting NASA now this. What's his problem did the kid up the street not let him play with his rocket?

Might have gone down that way. I suspect though that what happened was, the kid shot O in the dark side target and later turned out to be one of us on this forum.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 7:52:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:09:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm starting to believe it wouldn't be all that bad if DC got nuked when Congress was in session.

just sayin

Strangely, I'm ok with this.

ditto
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top