Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:30:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Ghost Gunner can manufacture any mil-spec 80% AR-15 lower receiver that already has the rear take down well milled out.
View Quote

That might prove to be an issue for some people.

Still, love the innovation
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:35:58 PM EDT
[#2]

This is from the website
Defense Distributed is committed to releasing future firearm design
files, from the AR-15 to the AR-10 to the 1911, and then continuing with
our own designs.

It would be well worth it if you could do ar10 and 1911 recievers

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:39:13 PM EDT
[#3]
If this can mill a complete lower, someone has to manufacture cheap AR threading kits, or make parts that use standard threads.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:39:17 PM EDT
[#4]
If it can fit a 308 lower I will buy one. Waiting on response.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:40:01 PM EDT
[#5]
SWEET!
The anti's will love the video, shady looking smoke filled backroom.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:41:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Somehow I think this machine is going to need regular calibration to keep finished receivers in spec.

Who is going to do that? How often? How much?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:43:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

When that happens, you'll need an FFL to make your own firearms.  I'm not saying it's right, but that's what will happen.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can't wait for the day when full strength metal 3d printers are cheap enough for home use. The technology exists, it's now just a matter of time.

When that happens, you'll need an FFL to make your own firearms.  I'm not saying it's right, but that's what will happen.  

When we're to that point, that's not going to matter a bit.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:49:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:51:19 PM EDT
[#9]
In 5 years, possession of a non-antique firearm without a registered serial # will be a felony.

Just watch.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:56:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:25:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

In 5 years, possession of a non-antique firearm without a registered serial # will be a felony.

View Quote

Just watch.

I'm sure it can engrave a serial number.

You didn't ask if that number meant anything.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:29:07 PM EDT
[#12]
for ye shall not fear the antis and cower and kowtow to their concerns, but yea ye shall deposit massive steaming shits upon the face of them
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:30:29 PM EDT
[#13]
LULZ.. PT. Barnum would be proud..
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:01:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

What kind of sucker would pay $1200 for a "CNC" mill to finish an 80% receiver???  

You can buy a jig and a cheap mill for way less than that.

Heck, if you have some patience, you can buy a $100 dremel and do the same thing.

$1200
View Quote

I think the same thing.

What am I missing here?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:05:25 PM EDT
[#15]
If milling an 80% lower is just a starting point for a plug and play machine that could and likely will be able to fabricate a multitude of parts it seems worth it.

The only thing keeping me from purchasing a mini mill is the additional parts & materials needed to make it operate the way it should.

$1K seems reasonable for a machine that will work out of the box.  I'm almost committed to purchasing.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:05:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

What kind of sucker would pay $1200 for a "CNC" mill to finish an 80% receiver???  

Heck, if you have some patience, you can buy a $100 dremel and do the same thing.

$1200
View Quote

It's a multi-purpose tool, chief.  It isn't limited to finishing 80% receivers.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:11:48 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Not sure how it's a game changer...you can do one yourself with a drill press and a jig for very likely a hell of a lot less than that cnc will run. Unless it's cutting them out of billet, I don't see the novelty.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh my God........Do want...........Game changer....

Not sure how it's a game changer...you can do one yourself with a drill press and a jig for very likely a hell of a lot less than that cnc will run. Unless it's cutting them out of billet, I don't see the novelty.
Yep, did this on a Ryobi drill press and cheap chinese X-Y vice.  

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:15:18 PM EDT
[#18]
What about milling an AK receiver?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:16:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

$1200
View Quote

What about designing/building your own small CNC parts, your own LPKs with your own style.  Or just the people who like to make their own stuff, even if it ends up a little more expensive.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:17:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

why would you want to do that?

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:18:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If it can fit a 308 lower I will buy one. Waiting on response.
View Quote

Why bother? You can finish a 308 lower with a drill press. The pocket dimensions on a DPMS-pattern LR308 lower are the same as an AR15.

As much as I love the video, and the 'portability' concept seems interesting enough, I really don't understand how this is at all significant.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:23:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

2nd day air to "insert any company name here". Use the UPS serve center closest to you as the delivery address. Call them and ask them to hold it for you to come pick up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get a PO Box in another state.

Get a pre-paid debit card.

Hire some homeless guy to pick it up....

What could go wrong?

2nd day air to "insert any company name here". Use the UPS serve center closest to you as the delivery address. Call them and ask them to hold it for you to come pick up.

And when UPS scans your DL for the pickup... Then what? I signed up for a My Choice account with UPS..... if you are worried about Google, the NSA, Russian Hackers..... be worried about UPS. They confirmed my identity going back to addresses I haven't lived at in 20+ years.

Anyway.... awesome video.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:24:22 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I think the same thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

$1200

I think the same thing.

What am I missing here?
Its a computer driven CNC mill.

It can do whatever you can program it to do.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:26:17 PM EDT
[#24]
I see that it's $1200 not $1000 . . . .
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:32:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:32:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

$1200
View Quote

I see your point - but I view it as the "first" of what the free market will (hopefully) run with and improve upon, all while reducing cost.  The first computer was slow, expensive, and not as efficient as doing things the "old-fashioned" way.  But it was just that - the first.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:41:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Good.  Folks have been doing lowers on Taigs for a while.

The more, the merrier.  

May the tears of liberals and Statists be used as coolant on these cnc builds.

You Can't Stop The Signal.

Best,
JBR
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:45:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I wonder what means?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get a PO Box in another state.

Get a pre-paid debit card.

Hire some homeless guy to pick it up....

What could go wrong?

And when UPS scans your DL for the pickup... Then what? I signed up for a My Choice account with UPS..... if you are worried about Google, the NSA, Russian Hackers..... be worried about UPS. They confirmed my identity going back to addresses I haven't lived at in 20+ years.

Anyway.... awesome video.

I wonder what means?

My bad Big Homey!
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:49:25 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:52:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

What am I missing here?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$1200

I think the same thing.

What am I missing here?

You can do whatever you can program it to do that it is stiff and strong enough to do. In the absence of a good understanding of machining theory and practice, a machine like that can be very limited in its capability indeed. Perhaps the bigger question is what differentiates it from other desktop cnc solutions in a similar price bracket.

It appears that they are trying to bill this system as a no-experience-needed milling setup that looks and interacts like a 3d printer, but actually is a portable machining solution. I'll be interested to see how they simplify the process. My guess is that its main attraction will be that they'll do the programming, and distribute the programs and fixturing models for stock 80% jobs, such that the end user doesn't have to know a milling machine from a hole in the ground to be able to finish a receiver. As a machinist and teacher of technical skills, I certainly don't see $1500 of value there. From the perspective of the maker movement, I think it makes some sense. At the same time, those who are buying it for that reason - that it doesn't take a lot of technical skill - aren't going to be able to get as much out of it as might be possible.

ETA: They seem to have saved money and space by shrinking the build envelope to just big enough to finish receivers. That alone is a severe limitation.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:58:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can't wait for the day when full strength metal 3d printers are cheap enough for home use. The technology exists, it's now just a matter of time.

The law would need to be changed first. If the past few years have show us anything, it's that it is very difficult to pass any new restrictions on the second amendment at the federal level.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:59:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh my God........Do want...........Game changer....

If you are mechanically inclined. Most folks aren't.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:01:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The law would need to be changed first. If the past few years have show us anything, it's that it is very difficult to pass any new restrictions on the second amendment at the federal level.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the past few years have shown me anything, it's that a.) states are happy to pass restrictions where the feds haven't, and b.)  new restrictions on the second amendment are not that far out of reach, even at the federal level. We won the legislative votes, sure, but not by enough to make me comfortable.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:03:37 PM EDT
[#34]
This is very cool, and for the $1k pre-order price I'd be all over it if not for the 6.75 x 2.95 x 2.35" machinable area. That's just too small for my needs.  I hope they scale it up with larger models in the future.  I'd send them $3k in a heartbeat if they tripled the machinable area dimensions.

I wonder if the requirement that the rear take-down pocket be pre-machined is a workholding issue or if the machine doesn't have the necessary travel.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:07:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
This is very cool, and for the $1k pre-order price I'd be all over it if not for the 6.75 x 2.95 x 2.35" machinable area. That's just too small for my needs.  I hope they scale it up with larger models in the future.  I'd send them $3k in a heartbeat if they tripled the machinable area dimensions.

I wonder if the requirement that the rear take-down pocket be pre-machined is a workholding issue or if the machine doesn't have the necessary travel.
View Quote

With $3k, you can build a much more capable cnc system. The limited machinable area is the very thing that makes their design feasible, even in their own words.

Don't know about the rear takedown pocket, but it might be an issue with clearance of the toolhead over the buffer tube threads.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:08:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

If the past few years have shown me anything, it's that a.) states are happy to pass restrictions where the feds haven't, and b.)  new restrictions on the second amendment are not that far out of reach, even at the federal level. We won the legislative votes, sure, but not by enough to make me comfortable.
View Quote

gun ownership in america is exploding, and has been for a while

there are more young and female shooters now than ever before, there are more gun owners period than ever before, there are more "assault weapon" owners now than ever before

multi-gun tactical shooting and other combatesque sports now exist, giving legitimacy to and encouraging the ownership and use of combat arms

everyone on this forum is always so afraid that the next awb is right around the corner, but I just don't see it

by my accounting we are winning, and I see a sunny future for the second amendment
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:11:11 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm also interested in what they're using for spindle bearings.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:12:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

there are more young and female shooters now than ever before, there are more gun owners period than ever before, there are more "assault weapon" owners now than ever before

multi-gun tactical shooting and other combatesque sports now exist, giving legitimacy to and encouraging the ownership and use of combat arms

everyone on this forum is always so afraid that the next awb is right around the corner, but I just don't see it

by my accounting we are winning, and I see a sunny future for the second amendment
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you honestly believe that decides how Congress acts? I don't.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:16:05 PM EDT
[#39]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

why would you want to do that?

http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/2000x2000/145/145208_2000x2000.jpg

Adding to the versatility of the machine I guess.    If you bought one for ARs, and wanted to make a milled AK receiver...  That kind of thing.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:20:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

do I believe that congress directly responds to the will of the people and endeavors to faithfully represent them? hell no
do I believe that congress acts entirely without regard for public opinion and political fallout? no again
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:20:31 PM EDT
[#41]
tag
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:25:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Congresspersons want to be re-elected.  As more of the public owns guns, especially "assault weapons", the smaller the chance that Congress will actually try to push through any anti-gun legislation.  A class full of children (may the poor children rest in peace) murdered by Adam Lanza wasn't enough to push through any new national anti-gun laws.

The point is that there IS some positive traction for the 2nd Amendment at the moment, as long as we stay watchful.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:43:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I think the same thing.

What am I missing here?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$1200

I think the same thing.

What am I missing here?

Oh I don't know, maybe the fact that it's a CNC mill the size of a printer for $1000?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:50:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yes but that was a stationary CNC machine and it stayed at the "manufacturer's" place and he would let people push the start button IIRC. He was renting time on the machine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's gonna get interesting when somebody buys one of these and

realizes renting it out to his buddies, etc. is a good way to recoup

that $1,500.  Political pressure is going to be on ATF to label it

as whatever it takes to make it illegal.

IIRC, that's already been done, and the guy doing it was shut down by BATFE for manufacturing without an FFL.

Yes but that was a stationary CNC machine and it stayed at the "manufacturer's" place and he would let people push the start button IIRC. He was renting time on the machine.

KT Ordnance/Rick Celata when he had his shop in NH.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:08:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:09:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Where do the cool kids get their 80% lowers?  I just did a little research on jigs and stuff.  I want to drill out my own.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:16:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Where do the cool kids get their 80% lowers?  I just did a little research on jigs and stuff.  I want to drill out my own.
View Quote

One had nothing but good experience with tactical machining. Have made a number of their AR lowers (I did a series of revolutionary flag engraved lowers), a 308 lower and am waiting to do my 1911 frame.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:19:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:34:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

This is why some are against companies making products and tools so publicly available... the more public attention it gets the more it will get anti gun zealots attention.

Just like drones, they existed for decades... but once you start putting them in RTF kits and sell them just about everywhere and any person can buy and fly one... it started attracting laws and attention from everyone else like flies on shit.
View Quote

That's the explicit point. To realize the antigunners nightmares in tangible form and render their laws impotent; so that they lose legitimacy.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:45:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

It needs to be programed to do multiple things.

Rent it out by the day.

"Do you want to rent my paperweight machining mill?"

Or better yet, the mill has no program and you need to download a program to a usb stick from some website for whatever you want to make.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's gonna get interesting when somebody buys one of these and

realizes renting it out to his buddies, etc. is a good way to recoup

that $1,500.  Political pressure is going to be on ATF to label it

as whatever it takes to make it illegal.

IIRC, that's already been done, and the guy doing it was shut down by BATFE for manufacturing without an FFL.

This is a small, portable mill.  The owner can easily loan it to a friend , who takes it home and mill out his lower.
Then it gets passed on to another guy , and so on. So there is no central location for finishing lowers.
Any home, any place can be a little machine shop.

It needs to be programed to do multiple things.

Rent it out by the day.

"Do you want to rent my paperweight machining mill?"

Or better yet, the mill has no program and you need to download a program to a usb stick from some website for whatever you want to make.

That does appear to be how it works.

I'm tempted to order one, but I want it as a general purpose CNC machine. They don't give specs on the work area as far as I can tell.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top