Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 11:32:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Guarantee me full and total protection from civil suit by the turd's family and I would not hesitate to use deadly force to protect a stranger. Otherwise forget it.

If you use deadly force to protect yourself or your family when it is perfectly justified under criminal law you are still going to get sued in civil court. But in the case of protecting myself or my family I would accept that as part of the price for survival. It makes no difference that you were in deadly peril. Some scumbag of a civil lawyer is going to represent the family of the person you shot and try for some big money. He will paint you as a vigillanty that was carrying a gun and just looking for someone to shoot. And represent the dead thug as a model citizen who was on his way to bible study when you wrongfully shot him. They will pay everyone from his neighbors to his families church members to testify to his good character.

Why risk being sued motherless for a total stranger? Who is going to help you find a new job when your employer finds some reason to let you go due to pressure from political correct types after you cap someone? Who will provide for your familie's future wellbeing when you are totally broke from being dragged through the civil court system?

Until the civil court system is fixed I will consider the use of deadly force to protect a stranger as the height of foolishness.

The one exception would be if directed by a police officer to assist him. In that situation I would not hesitate. If the officer was unable to ask for that assistance I would just have to swear later that he in fact did ask. Believe me when I tell you that I know how police reports are written.
View Quote

Lot to be said here.

Joe Citizen: 'Help me and I'll pay your legal bills'

Bang. Thud. LEOS. DAs. Go to jail, go DIRECTLY to jail.Do not pass GO. Do not collect $200.

6 mos later; Joe Citizen:'MY laywer sez I ain't gotta pay you shit, asshole.'

YOU: 'For sale, everything I own, including my eye teeth and 1st born son.'

My neighbor was trying to put a Santa up on a snowy roof. I told him to get down.
"Fall, get killed, get buried, wife feels bad and goes to the mall. Some guy asks her what time it is. Leads to a conversation. Leads to coffee. leads to dinner,leads to dating,leads to remarriage. Wife eventually dies, he inherits everything. And because you were stupid enough to fall off a slippery roof, you wind up giving it all away to some cheapskate that can't even afford a crummy watch!"

Same holds here. Why give everything to lawyers defending some either cheapskate or some liberal that's either too cheap or lazy to get his own CCW?

I can't afford to do that to my family. I truly wish I could, but I'm not Bill Gates.

edited to add, We have to fight for change on this issue because this simply ain't right. Years ago (When I was a kid) you were EXPECTED to pitch in and I sure would have. Next time you see a liberal, thank him for this.
(edited to add last paragraph.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 5:52:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 6:26:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 6:44:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 6:49:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I am sorry, but my first obligation is to my family, and all decisions are made with that in mind. Those of you without familes may feel that way once you have them.

And for thsoe who say I am a blot on society or lack morals, you are directing your anger the wrong way. The blots on society and the ones who lack morals are the people who choose not to defend themselves. In my state less than 1% of those eligable for CCH have it, the rest have made a conscious choice to render themselves defenseless... and you say I am without morals because I refuse to put myself at risk to help those who refuse to help themselves?

The first moral obligation a man has is to defend himself and his family. The idea that a person has an obligation to defend someone who doesn't even take that basic responsibility seriously themselves is just a step away from the idea that the governemnt has an obligation to take care of everyone.
View Quote

The fact of the matter is that I DO have a family, and I sure as hell hope that if someone was attacking them that a "Good" citizen will come to their aid. My wife has a CCW, but that is not the point.

What if it was an old man, old lady, mentally/physically challenged person, young kid, etc., etc. that could NOT defend themselves against an attacker? Would you still think the same way, and stand there just watching?

Or ask yourself the same question I ask every POS liberal that I come across that feels the need to spout off about their anti-gun stance......What if a member of YOUR family was being attacked, and couldn't defend themselves? Wouldn't you want someone to help them?

I understand what you are saying about being able to provide for your family if you are sued, but we are talking about a HUMAN LIFE here, which is something that money can't buy. Period.      
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 8:26:08 AM EDT
[#6]
You want fucked up morals, and twisted values. Here you go. Read this. This is what is wrong with our country.

Ghetto Momma walks into a civil lawyers office.

GM:I want to sue someone.

Lawyer:What happened?

GM:My son was murdered for no reason.

Lawyer:Give me some details.

GM:My son was trying to steal a car. He told the lady to get out of her car and she started screaming. Then some man runs up with a gun and murdered my son. My son had a gun but it wasn't his and I know he would never hurt no body. He was a good boy.

Lawyer does a criminal history on the dead thug and finds that he has been arrested numerous times for drugs and  armed robbery.

He obtains a copy of the police report and finds that the thug was killed during an attempted armed carjacking. The good citizen that did the shooting was nobilled by the grand jury.

The good citizen is a college grad, served in the military, has no criminal record, has a good job, two nice cars, very nice house, some property in the country, has a very comfortable retirement investment portfolio, pays a shitload of money in property and income taxes each year, buys several new guns each year, has a CCW, is an NRA life member, and votes Rpublican.

Lawyer:OK I'll take the case. My fee is 85% of the settlelment. I can assure you that the person that wrongfully took your sons' life will pay for what he did. You have been wronged and are due considerable compensation. We have experts at picking a jury that will see things your way. Our firm rarely loses a case of this type.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 3:05:01 PM EDT
[#7]
The question of " would you use your gun to defend a stranger" is a good question that anyone who carries a gun should know the answer to before they leave the house with their gun. Grande_Shooter has hit the nail on the head as to what will happen to you 'after the shot. For those of you who have never been in LE you better think long and hard about WHEN you pull the gun. The book, "In the gravest extream" by Masoob Ayoob , (sorry for the spelling error, its been a long time since I read it) will give you an insight as to what will happen to you after you shoot.
For those of you inclined to defend the defenseless, as you ponder the question, think of what would happen if you bullet missed or passed thru the perp. and killed a bystander.
Think about your families. Sure, it would be nice to save someone from harm but unless you shoot with the accuracy of a hollywood actor you'd better think again.
Use your gun to defend someone? Its a good question. In the mean time, practice.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 3:16:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 3:45:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Then why should anyone be bothered with defending THEMSELVES even?? Every single caveat mentioned as a reason not to help someone else can be applied 110% to YOURSELF if you defend YOURSELF. People are sued every day by the family of low life scum that they legally dispatched to a celestial dirt nap.

Why become a soldier? A firefighter? ETC? Whats the point? You could get hurt or killed, and cause you or your family great finacial and/or emotional distress. Why bother to defend yourself? You might get sued by the low lifes family and loose everything you have in lawyers fees defending yourself even if you win. Why even own a gun? Thats just temptation to use it to defend yourself. If you dont have it then there is no temptation, you just comply with your attackers demands and all is well. No I wont help you, It might cost me and you are not worth my material possesions or time. Lets see.....hmmmm.... human life and well being or my retirement fund.......Just a minute Sir, dont beat that womans head in with that bat and take her car just yet, I have to think about whether or not its financially feasable for me to help her. Be right with you.
View Quote

Well said Hawkeye !!
If the situation arose, I would have no qualms about using whatever force needed to help someone in danger.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 3:55:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Why are so many physicians walking away from their practices all across America? Because they can't afford malpractice insurance. That's why. They refuse to gamble away their homes and famalie's way of life on the chance of getting sued.

Did they not take an oath to help the sick? Are you going to call them immoral cowards for refusing to practice medicine out of fear of losing money or material possessions? Why not suggest that their parents failed to raise them right if they make this absurd decision?

Go ahead and be a hero if you want. I will continue to refuse to put myself in financial jepordy to be the Dudley Doright of an era that is long past.

Link Posted: 1/2/2003 4:07:47 PM EDT
[#11]
To those who argue passionately against the "common defense"...for whatever reason, I would pose one simple question to you:

Where would our society be but for those among us willing to accept the risks, face the danger and submit to the scrutiny by taking up our arms to defend our fellow man?

Given your argument that risks, however small, to you, your family members and your livelihood far outweigh the risk of death or terrible injury to another, how DO you see yourselves in our "society of man"?

For at least 10,000 years, mankind has been gathering and settling in communities of one sort or another for common protection against predators, brigands, murderers, thieves, crop failures and the elements.  Over the centuries, we have taken such measures as necessary to ensure the maximum peace, tranquility and safety from danger.  One of the first things our forefathers here in America did upon setting up a town as they moved into the frontier was to elect a sheriff.  Another common measure was to have some sort of "committee of safety" sometimes known as a vigilante posse.  In other words, ARMED CITIZENS helped to protect each other and frankly, made the western frontier a much safer place, especially for those unable to defend themselves, like the womenz, kids and the elderly.  The frontier was a pretty polite place actually, because lots of men packed heat and lots of men knew that.  Why now, should we turn our backs on our fellow man in time of need?

I for one am perfectly willing to draw my weapon and defend another.  I WILL most assuredly ascertain the situation first, and NOT slap leather unless absolutely necessary...but if I do so...lead will most likely be flying.

As to lawyers?  OK...good point for all of you that fear them more than you do the death of another.  I won't deny the risk either civil or criminal.  On the other hand...how about the jury?  NO lawyer is judge and jury.  All those scumbag bottom feeding lawyers can do is bring the case before the bar.  The final decision whether or not to take your treasure in a civil case or put you away for a bad shoot in a criminal case, rests with those twelve men and womenz.  I for one am perfectly willing to let their judgement vindicate MY judgement to shoot.  Why aren't you?  Maybe...just maybe, they too have been in a like situation and want to see things your way.  Maybe...just maybe they would rather see a dead perp than a dead old woman or little kid.

Finally...I KNOW in my heart I could NOT live with myself if I didn't try to help to my utmost ability, including shooting a potential killer dead.

If the risk is too great for some of you...fine.  I truly hope you guys are in the minority.  I'm really glad I never had to depend on you who choose this course of action when I served in the military.  One thing I remember well was the courage of every man in my unit.  I had absolute faith in every one of them and they never let me down.  That is what every study about courage in battle has discovered:  Personal safety takes a back seat when men are in battle.  One's buddies are more important than ones own safety and soldiers fight and die for their fellow soldier...not for some altruistic, ethereal higher calling.  They fear cowardice more than death itself.

For each other...

Oh...a final coda:  For those worried about losing your biz:  Incorporate and totally legally separate your business from you home and personal accounts.  Something my Acct. 101 prof told me many decades ago.  NEVER mix your biz accounts and your personal accounts for exactly the reason you fear.  By incorporating, they may be able to go after you personally, but I doubt they can touch your business entity.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 4:08:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 4:24:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 4:24:05 PM EDT
[#14]
...Why become a soldier? A firefighter? ETC? Whats the point?

Hawkeye, good point. But there is a difference between the "good samaritan" and an LE officer. I think we all feel inclined to help. The real question is WHEN. Many senarios still require a wait even though the perp has motive, opportunity and ability.
Its good to know there are people like yourself that are  willing to get involved! I carry my 10.8 oz.S+W +P (and carry permit) when I feel like it. I know I can't guarantee a hit beond 3 ft. and thats ok, because unless circumstance warrants differently, I'm keeping it right in my pocket with my hand on it until there is an unavoidable danger of death, or grave bodily injury to me. (someone mentioned a kid being the victim. Thats a different circumstance). Some people choose not to arm themselves. You could be coming to the aid of (and risking lawsuits, monitary judgements that would last a lifetime)  someone who voted to take away your gun rights or, someone with a religous conviction against guns. (thats strange).
Enter the "lawyer".......your screwed
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 4:27:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 4:32:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 4:36:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 4:44:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 4:48:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 4:50:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 4:53:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 4:54:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 5:15:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 7:05:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 8:46:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I should have added that while my basic self defense menatlity was only defnd myself or family, I doubt I would hesitate if it was a child or someone else unable to defend themselves being assualted
View Quote

This statement makes absolutely no sense. Are you are saying if a 20-something year old young women, was being raped that it is just too bad, because she should be able to defend herself? After all, she is not a child nor someone unable to defend themselves.

And just how do you know if a person is or is not unable to defend themselves? Are you supposed to ask the attacker to stop for a second so you can determine if the victim is or is not capable of defending themselves?

Uh, excuse me Mr.Attacker, is the person you are attacking mentally/physically capable of defending themself? Oh, they are, OK, go right ahead with your attack.

I'm sorry, but your arguments just don't float in my world. (and I am NOT trying to flame you in the least, I am just trying to point out the lack of a decent reason you or anyone else can give me for not helping a fellow human being)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top