Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
my son is allergic to dogs  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My five year old son did this for a while, now my 95lb lab sleeps beside his bed every night and all is good in the world.
my son is allergic to dogs  

Maybe something hypoallergenic like a poodle, a big tough poodle of course
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:50:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I like Curious George.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

we currently have a life size stormtrooper ballon floating in the house, I hate that fucking thing.

I am also sad to admit I have seen just about every fucking episode of Curious George
I like Curious George.  

That's pretty good for a City Kid.  I hate that smarmy son of a bitch.  

At least you haven't had to deal with Peppa yet.  Although hearing your kid talk in a british accent is pretty funny.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:50:58 PM EDT
[#4]
A real relationship with the Lord. Tough at this age but get started.
And a dog. Get him a poodle if he is allergic.

And I was once considers an expert on this subject.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:54:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:56:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:58:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:59:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
 Our babysitter told my son she was going to church the next morning and my son said "church?" and looked at me like "What the fuck is that?" I don't think she caught on that he had no idea what a church is.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And I was once considers an expert on this subject.
 Our babysitter told my son she was going to church the next morning and my son said "church?" and looked at me like "What the fuck is that?" I don't think she caught on that he had no idea what a church is.  

You should tell him that he shouldn't be afraid of the dark, because if there was something in the dark and it killed him then it's all over and he'll feel and know nothing.

*tips fedora*
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 5:12:20 PM EDT
[#9]
We just gave our boy, same age as yours, a harbor freight led flash light, showed how to use it, and told him to turn it on and shine it on anything scary at night.  I think he's used it twice, and now turns off lights in the house claiming he "likes the dark."
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 5:19:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 5:23:08 PM EDT
[#11]
It doesn't matter what he sees on TV.  

Humans are engineered to be afraid of the dark, because that's when we used to get eaten and stuff.

Do you ever see these ghost hunter shows looking for ghosts or bigfoot in the daytime?  Of course not.  Everything that scares us comes out at night.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 5:26:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 5:40:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Every letter I ever got from the IRS or NY State Dept of Taxation arrived in daylight  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It doesn't matter what he sees on TV.  

Humans are engineered to be afraid of the dark, because that's when we used to get eaten and stuff.

Do you ever see these ghost hunter shows looking for ghosts or bigfoot in the daytime?  Of course not.  Everything that scares us comes out at night.
Every letter I ever got from the IRS or NY State Dept of Taxation arrived in daylight  

Don't pay and see if they come back during the day or night.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 5:45:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Fucking werewolfs, gave me a hell of a time when I was a little kid

I used to think they could climb up the side of the house.

Buy him some night vision.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 5:51:45 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

My son has been old enough for awhile that he has a normal fear of the dark, I think pretty typical for a three year old. I think he is worse about it when either my wife or I am working late and only one parent is home. He's obviously much happier when everyone is home, who wouldn't be, but you have to do what you have to do in life.

I'm very careful about what he sees on TV, really he doesn't watch any TV but we do let him watch some stuff on Netflix, mostly Curious George and Winnie the Pooh. He will stop watching shows that seem scary on his own. I've also sent a few books back to the library that someone else got out that I thought were a little too scary. So we are pretty careful about what he is exposed to.

He's not having night terrors and it's no big deal really, just curious how other people deal with it.

Last night I got up and went to the bathroom. I just walked to a downstairs bathroom completely in his line of sight, but he was watching Curious George on my ipad and gets way too engrossed in that stuff (grumble grumble but he was really well behaved yesterday all day). Anyway he must have noticed I was gone without realizing where I went and started running through the house yelling for me (of course while I am on the terlet as Archie Bunker would say).

When I have told him I am going outside at night time to get the mail or get something out of a car left in the driveway he runs and gets one of his flashlights and shines it out the door on me to make sure I am safe

I did have him get his wiffle ball bat and his flashlight and had him come outside with me and told him to stand guard while I got something out of the car, he laughed and seemed to like that.

I don't think my wife will go along with me taking him out and blowing some bear to giblets to instill confidence in him hard to find a god damn bear to blow to pieces around here anyway

View Quote

Have a 4yo who has a fear of the dark as well. It's gotten better.

First I tell him that "I am the scariest thing in the house, monsters won't even come here because they are afraid of me"

Then We just slowly darkened the room.

Door open with Nightlight

Nightlight

Dimmer nightlight.

I usually tell him that "If he keeps calling out I'll turn off the light" and that usually keeps him from protesting the darkened room (With dim light).... That's how I worked him down.

Stop complaining about the dark or I'll make it darker ... little by little.

Takes time, and will.... Don't let the wife turn on the light after you turn it off... then he'll just know he can get his way by getting her to do it
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 6:06:00 PM EDT
[#16]
We got my two and a half year old one of these. It lasts for about ten hours on a charge, and lights up when they tip it over. It's a night lite they can keep in bed with them.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/philips-disney-minnie-mouse-softpal-portable-led-night-light/ID=prod6289433-product?ext=gooBaby_Kids_ampersand_Toys_PLA_Stuffed_Animals_ampersand_Plush_prod6289433_pla&adtype=pla&kpid=sku6244406&sst=2160f1d4-f17e-4b6d-a3e7-4e580464a578

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 6:07:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 6:09:34 PM EDT
[#18]
I slept with a night light until I was a older kid. Nothing wrong with it. I now can't sleep unless it's pitch black.
He'll grow out of it hopefully. I would tell him angels are watching. With angels watching he bad dark creatures
can harm him.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 6:13:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 6:21:30 PM EDT
[#20]
I was still somewhat scared of the dark up until a few years ago.

Now I own that bitch

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 6:33:57 PM EDT
[#21]
This is easy...

Then a few nights in the closet to wrap it up

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 6:34:24 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
It's not a terrible idea.

They make cheap CCD ones that use IR LED's for illumination for kids. Seeing the room is the same lights on or off might help.

http://www.amazon.com/Spy-Clops-Ultra-Vision-Goggles/dp/B007TG2POM
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

NODs

It's not a terrible idea.

They make cheap CCD ones that use IR LED's for illumination for kids. Seeing the room is the same lights on or off might help.

http://www.amazon.com/Spy-Clops-Ultra-Vision-Goggles/dp/B007TG2POM
I support this position. If your kid gets hooked on night vision, he won't have money for drugs
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 6:37:19 PM EDT
[#23]
NOT like this ...

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 6:38:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
thanks  

edit my son has this thing-it's a toy turtle and it shines like a nightlight. it projects star patterns upwards in various colors. I think one broke, not sure if he got tired of the second one or that broke too

I did go buy a new night light this afternoon
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We got my two and a half year old one of these. It lasts for about ten hours on a charge, and lights up when they tip it over. It's a night lite they can keep in bed with them.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/philips-disney-minnie-mouse-softpal-portable-led-night-light/ID=prod6289433-product?ext=gooBaby_Kids_ampersand_Toys_PLA_Stuffed_Animals_ampersand_Plush_prod6289433_pla&adtype=pla&kpid=sku6244406&sst=2160f1d4-f17e-4b6d-a3e7-4e580464a578

http://pics.drugstore.com/prodimg/549457/450.jpg
thanks  

edit my son has this thing-it's a toy turtle and it shines like a nightlight. it projects star patterns upwards in various colors. I think one broke, not sure if he got tired of the second one or that broke too

I did go buy a new night light this afternoon

My daughter has one of those as well (its a butterfly and plays music).

The minnie nightlight is much brighter and was made for them to hang on to. They can also turn it back on if they wake up in the middle of the night just by tipping it. It worked well for us when we moved her to a different room.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 6:45:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Flashlight and/or night lights
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 6:45:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Give the kid NODs?

ETA: or are those banned in NY?
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 6:58:51 PM EDT
[#27]
My brother and I were about 12 and 14 and our 2 cousins, maybe 6 and 8 came to visit. My brother had dressed up in white sheets with this mask thing we made. He hid in the back yard at night and I walked my cousins around the house, he jumped out and scared the crap out of them. I think they cried for and hour. Dad was not happy. They both turned into raging liberals.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 7:01:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I would tell my little one, the monster under the bed fears me and she has nothing to worry about. She used to say you better hide monster my dad is coming. Kids are two much.

Now she is 9 and the other day we had a mouse in the house, and she told me not to worry that she could kill it.  All while telling her mom the mouse fears her. Guess it worked then.
View Quote

That is awesome.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 7:04:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Buy your kid a pistol-grip LED spotlight. Tell him it's a monster gun.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 7:04:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
My father used to say that there is nothing out there that isn't more scared of you than you are of it.  Then he would go make me water the cows late at night, after a while you just got used to it.
View Quote

My dad would take me coon hunting.

As we would be listening to the hound figuring out the trail we would often snack on sweet corn.

He would send me to get a few ears with out a light and when I would try to take them from the first row he would tell me to keep going, the corn is better a few rows in.

One time I had to feed and water the hound and wouldn't go out in the dark without a gun.  He handed me his 1903 Browning and a 12 gauge shell.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 7:11:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Maybe play a little Iron Maiden for him?

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 7:17:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Play this before bedtime.  Might help.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 7:19:59 PM EDT
[#33]
I was super afraid of the dark when I was little. Nothing my mom said or did helped, but my uncle fixed it for me when I stayed with him.

When he figured out I was scared of the dark, he said "Hey, let's fix that", and sat with me in the dark just having a conversation. He made it gradually darker until we couldn't see anything, but we sat there talking about stuff and he'd make me laugh.

I was asleep before I knew it, and even tho once and a while I'd get freaked out after that, for the most part it was behind me. He was a good guy, a father when I didn't have one.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 7:26:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I was super afraid of the dark when I was little. Nothing my mom said or did helped, but my uncle fixed it for me when I stayed with him.

When he figured out I was scared of the dark, he said "Hey, let's fix that", and sat with me in the dark just having a conversation. He made it gradually darker until we couldn't see anything, but we sat there talking about stuff and he'd make me laugh.

I was asleep before I knew it, and even tho once and a while I'd get freaked out after that, for the most part it was behind me. He was a good guy, a father when I didn't have one.
View Quote

I used to be afraid of the dark because I saw on the news once some story about night-terrors and how they're caused by demons who come into your room at night and try to steal your soul.

I got over my fear by talking to my brother about stuff when we were going to sleep.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 7:26:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

edit I asked the allergist "what about a dog that's not really bad with allergies?" She yelled at me

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And I was once considered an expert on this subject.

edit I asked the allergist "what about a dog that's not really bad with allergies?" She yelled at me

I didn't say anything about church
But trusting that your higher power has your back was the fastest way.
Teach him to own the night and no nods. Start teaching him his Indian name of Bear that owns the night
Time to move from pray to predator. Make a fun game of it.
Good luck OP.

ETA. I would test him on one of the hypo allergenic dog breeds as everyone is different.
I am considered an expert by some in that to.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 7:33:23 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

SOB that thing gave me nightmares as a kid.......scared the piss outta me.

I was that way for awhile...longer'n I'd like to admit.

I got over it when I started packing toy guns and convinced myself they'd work against stuff as well....

THe edginess didn't go away until I started leaving .45's and .357's in my headboards though
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top