Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:27:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I am sticking with fuck him, but sounds like you need to be truthful with HR.  Stop worrying about him and his family.  That was his job.
View Quote
Monica.jpg

OP it doesn't sound like your gig would be that hard to replace. Run with this shit and sink the bastard
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:27:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I guess I'll write something out this weekend and take it to them Monday.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:28:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Get him fired, then apply for his job.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:29:49 PM EDT
[#4]
This.  Then if they do shit can you, BOOM! Lawsuit time.  Burn his ass to the ground.  They wouldn't hesitate to do you dirty if they could/
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:32:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Dont cover for him. Get his ass fired and point and laugh when he gets walked oit the door.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:33:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Guy I know "didn't see anything" when one fellow employee grabbed another one by the throat....he lost a raise and got a black mark against him in his record for his effort at staying out of it......
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:35:38 PM EDT
[#7]
i was thinking the same thing

man up and let it happen

if this is a multiple time i would let them know
call the cops and file a report

now this is just me not u as i am sure u are not up foe this
meet him some where and "splain" what a big mistake he made taking u on
make sure no i-phones or witness's

hope it works out.

relax its all on him

1texan
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:37:22 PM EDT
[#8]
WHo gives a shit if he has 2 kids and a 20 year career, it's not your problem.  The fucker threatened you.

If he gets fired, it's his problem, not yours.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:39:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Well that's not working.

Because they seem to know the exact things he said to me, and are asking me to confirm.

I felt like it was a law enforcement interrogation. I'm also being made to feel that if I don't 'remember' what was said that there might be some sort of problems for me.
View Quote
Don't confirm.  Don't say anything.  Anything you say can and will be used against you.  Not your problem.  If they want to fire him then they can do it without your help.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:39:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm not lying.
I told them I don't remember exactly what he said because it was stressful and happened fast.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You will get fired for lying to HR.  

Fuck that guy.  He should have shut his cock holster if he didn't want to deal with the consequences.

I'm not lying.
I told them I don't remember exactly what he said because it was stressful and happened fast.
Good.  Stick to this.  Don't add anything else to it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:40:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Don't confirm.  Don't say anything.  Anything you say can and will be used against you.  Not your problem.  If they want to fire him then they can do it without your help.
View Quote
It's hard not to when they ask you directly.

It would seem in retrospect that honesty is the best policy, now that someone has reported him.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:40:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Your ''amnesia'' will get you terminated by him as soon as he thinks it's safe to get rid of you. Let him take the consequences of his actions. Lie/cover for him  and you may be walking the UE line.

FWIW, I very seriously doubt if his rant to you is his undoing, it is merely the last one he has done and there is probably a history of his temper tantrums. The company is now in a place where his termination falls under his worth or value to the company due to possible litigation down the road.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:41:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I just want to know why you are protecting him.

You know he will continue to fuck with you if he is not fired.

Even chihuahua's  bite once in awhile.  You should not ignore a direct physical threat, especially in front of witnesses.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:41:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Wonder if I could ask them to produce a document that says I'm protected........
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:42:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I just want to know why you are protecting him.

You know he will continue to fuck with you if he is not fired.

Even chihuahua's  bite once in awhile.  You should not ignore a direct physical threat, especially in front of witnesses.
View Quote
Because he's the one who hired me.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:43:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Fuck him.............sooner or later he will get physical with someone !
I worked for a loud mouth like that too....he snapped one day and man handled a production employee...................one maintenance manager out the door !!
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:43:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Are you fracking kidding me? Guy threatens your life and your playing dumb?!?!?!

Guy needs to be fired thrown out the door.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:44:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That he would take my knife (I was cutting something on a table with it) out of my hand and slit my Fucking throat with it.
View Quote
And you are trying to save this guys job??????????????????????????????????????

Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:45:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Fuck him.............sooner or later he will get physical with someone !
I worked for a loud mouth like that too....he snapped one day and man handled a production employee...................one maintenance manager out the door !!
View Quote
He's already gotten in one guy's face before. Blocked an employee that he was berating  from leaving a conference room that they were in.  He's also gone to a voluntary how to get along with people training thing after yelling at one of the administrative assistant girls.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:46:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
At the risk of dealing with some GD nonsense- I'm asking for advice.

Tldr-
Supervisor's boss is an unhinged asshole.

Detonated on me over nothing (if you want the whole story I can add it later) and threatened my life. Literally. (not that he could back it up) this happened in front of a co worker.

I didn't want this to get to HR. Too late. Someone reported him. Wasn't me. May have been asshole's boss trying to cover his own ass?

I fear if they fire him, it will be seen as my fault and I'll be run out. Got called into HR today, and they seem to know the exact things he said to me. I'm currently acting as if I have amnesia on the parts that would actually get him fired. (if it was me, I'd be in the unemployment line right now).

Wtf do I do? I hate the man, but he has 2 kids and a 20 year career. I don't want him fired. I want him to fuck off and leave me alone, and to stop being a condescending ass to everyone. I also fear losing my job as retaliation.

I have no idea how to handle this bs.

Eta - yes we have a history and do not like each other.
Also, he's anti gun as can be and that was part of his unhinged tirade. "Fuck all you people who own guns and think it makes you bad ass trying to intimidate everyone"
View Quote

if he threatened your life, why are you so scared of HR..HR limits company liability..the asshole who threatened you is the liability..or maybe there is something you are not saying
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:46:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
No. I was trying to let it go and save mine.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:48:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

if he threatened your life, why are you so scared of HR..HR limits company liability..the asshole who threatened you is the liability..or maybe there is something you are not saying
View Quote
Because nothing good ever comes from a visit to HR?

But that box is long open. I'm just trying to play the hand I've been dealt.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:48:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It would seem in retrospect that honesty is the best policy, now that someone has reported him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You go back to them with a statement that you "suddenly remember everything" and you'll both be fired.  Or, ironically, he'll be reprimanded with a letter in his file and only you're fired.  They don't give two fucks about you and you get nothing by ratting him out.  HR can die in a fire.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:48:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:I

I'm not lying.
View Quote
Lies by omission are just as bad as not telling the truth the the HR folks. How do you know what he is saying about you to them.........cover your ass.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:50:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
lol..same thing I thought
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:50:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
At the risk of dealing with some GD nonsense- I'm asking for advice.

Tldr-
Supervisor's boss is an unhinged asshole.

Detonated on me over nothing (if you want the whole story I can add it later) and threatened my life. Literally. (not that he could back it up) this happened in front of a co worker.

I didn't want this to get to HR. Too late. Someone reported him. Wasn't me. May have been asshole's boss trying to cover his own ass?

I fear if they fire him, it will be seen as my fault and I'll be run out. Got called into HR today, and they seem to know the exact things he said to me. I'm currently acting as if I have amnesia on the parts that would actually get him fired. (if it was me, I'd be in the unemployment line right now).

Wtf do I do? I hate the man, but he has 2 kids and a 20 year career. I don't want him fired. I want him to fuck off and leave me alone, and to stop being a condescending ass to everyone. I also fear losing my job as retaliation.

I have no idea how to handle this bs.

Eta - yes we have a history and do not like each other.
Also, he's anti gun as can be and that was part of his unhinged tirade. "Fuck all you people who own guns and think it makes you bad ass trying to intimidate everyone"
View Quote

Be a man, stand up and tell the truth. Let the chips fall where they may.

Always do the right thing. Covering for a potentially violent, asshole, abusive liberal boss out of fear of reprisal is not the right thing.

He'll probably be moved to a non-management position and you'll have an easier, more pleasant job.

If you don't stand up for what's right, expect him to feel empowered and the behavior to worsen.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:51:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Look, sometimes talking to people of like mind brings clarity.

I've never been down this road before. An discussing it with people at work is a bad idea, obviously.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:52:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Because nothing good ever comes from a visit to HR?

But that box is long open. I'm just trying to play the hand I've been dealt.
View Quote
If you did nothing to start this ...and he threatened you, and you have independent witnesses...you will either: have a nice settlement if they keep a hostile supervisor,  or he will be fired
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:52:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nonsensical hysteria.

This is how you end up surrounded by assholes at work.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:53:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Be a man, stand up and tell the truth. Let the chips fall where they may.

Always do the right thing. Covering for a potentially violent, asshole, abusive liberal boss out of fear of reprisal is not the right thing.

He'll probably be moved to a non-management position and you'll have an easier, more pleasant job.

If you don't stand up for what's right, expect him to feel empowered and the behavior to worsen.
View Quote
It actually has worsened over the last 5 years. This has been the crescendo.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:56:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Tell them you value your job and are in fear of retaliation from him if you confirm what the other witness said. (This will cover your ass).

If they reassure you that your job is not on the line in this. Then make a complete and full written statement.

Don't demand anything. Your in the middle of a shit storm and need to deal with it calmly.

Sounds to me like they need your statement to boot this guy or re-assign him elsewhere.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:57:02 PM EDT
[#32]
What if management is trying to get rid of him?
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:57:33 PM EDT
[#33]
If the guy who threatened you was aminority, you need a lawyer.  Luckily it wasn't a woman.  Careful, hr are the tsa of the corporate world.  Full of shitbags.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:59:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Wonder if I could ask them to produce a document that says I'm protected........
View Quote
Yes.  Ask to see your company's anti-retaliation policy as well as appropriate state and federal statutes on that topic.   They will be able to provide those to you if they exist.

As far as the investigation goes, you have to decide what you are comfortable saying, and what you think might need to include your lawyer.   You are not being arrested, so there is no "Miranda" statement that they'll read you, but they should be up front with you as to the nature of the investigation and how the information you provide can and cannot be used, including against yourself in terms of your employment status.  

Best strategy is to tell the truth when asked specific questions by the person conducting the investigation.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:59:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Fuck him.  Aside from punching his teeth in which obviously wouldn't work out well for you, I'd have no qualms whatsoever about getting the shithead fired.
View Quote
Don't lie to HR
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 7:01:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

No. I was trying to let it go and save mine.
View Quote
In all honesty, it's time to prepare your 3 envelopes.  Not necessarily because you'll get fired, but, because it sounds like that place is fucked up.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 7:02:05 PM EDT
[#37]
So say it blows over, which it won't, and two months from now he decides you wouldn't say shit if you had a mouthful, and he escalates the situation. What will you do then? You'll look like an idiot if you try to refer to the current incident in any way. Everyone will assume since you had a chance to deal with this and pussed out, that it's not that important.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 7:04:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

In all honesty, it's time to prepare your 3 envelopes.  Not necessarily because you'll get fired, but, because it sounds like that place is fucked up.
View Quote
What's that even mean
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 7:06:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Don't lie to HR.

Fuck I get how people think HR is out to get them.  I really do.  But HR is there to protect the company.  This guy's actions from what you've described here are a liability to the company.  You're the victim.  They can't fire you for retaliation. 

What you should actually do is go back to HR with a written complaint with some key words, how the other employee made you feel uncomfortable, how you felt threatened, and that you're making formal complaint of harassment.

Now, I'm telling you that if your nose is truly clean.  It's like self defense.  You don't get to shoot a guy you've been egging on and instigating conflict with.  But if you really have no fault here, do the above.  If the HR department is worth anything it won't matter who in the organization wants to terminate you in some kind of retaliation, HR won't let them, because no matter the reason they give it will look retaliatory.

This is the kind of shit that ties HR and management's hands and keeps cancerous fucks employed.  People who don't want to feel responsible for their being terminated, or don't want to stick their nose out for fear of getting smacked.

But it all hinges on how much fuel you personally threw on the fire.  If it was a thimble, no problem.  If it was a quart, well, keep doing what you're doing and hope it blows over and stop instigating.
View Quote
This. HR is there to protect the company. Period.

You didn't report it, and as long as you didn't do anything to provoke the incident, and don't lie to them, you have nothing to fear from them. The days when you can be a belligerent asshole at work and get away with it are long gone. Certainly not at any large company. Too much liability if they let someone like that stay. HR is right, this won't go away. Playing that you have amnesia will bite you in the ass or at a minimum make you "that guy" in HR's eyes.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 7:07:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
What's that even mean
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's that even mean
Essentially, it means in ARFCOM terms "eject".  It's an old business joke.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 7:11:17 PM EDT
[#41]
I literally saved a guy's job once.It was a mistake.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 7:11:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

What's that even mean
View Quote
A fellow had just been hired as the new CEO of a large high tech corporation. The CEO who was stepping down met with him privately and presented him with three numbered envelopes. "Open these if you run up against a problem you don't think you can solve," he said.

Well, things went along pretty smoothly, but six months later, sales took a downturn and he was really catching a lot of heat. About at his wit's end, he remembered the envelopes. He went to his drawer and took out the first envelope. The message read, "Blame your predecessor."

The new CEO called a press conference and tactfully laid the blame at the feet of the previous CEO. Satisfied with his comments, the press -- and Wall Street - responded positively, sales began to pick up and the problem was soon behind him.

About a year later, the company was again experiencing a slight dip in sales, combined with serious product problems. Having learned from his previous experience, the CEO quickly opened the second envelope. The message read, "Reorganize." This he did, and the company quickly rebounded.

After several consecutive profitable quarters, the company once again fell on difficult times. The CEO went to his office, closed the door and opened the third envelope.

The message said, "Prepare three envelopes."
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 7:12:17 PM EDT
[#43]
None of what you posted including the followups make any sense. Think like HR for a minute, or better think like a boss. Or better think like someone who just received an actual death threat. He didnt offer to pick ingrown hairs from your neck. He offered a free trach.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 7:12:27 PM EDT
[#44]
You don't want to hear this but it's time to come out of the closet.

Tell it like it is, he unloaded on you because he found out you were gay, even though you may be married and have kids.

This is the only way to save your job.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 7:12:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

What's that even mean
View Quote
He's implying you are on your way out, and while that may not be in the near future, you might want to start thinking about other opportunities.

Why?

When I have had significant issues between two employees, a cloud hangs over both of them in my mind, if only unconsciously.  Even if it appears one of them is primarily at fault, I usually end up learning the other one was not completely without fault...and/or did things that didn't help the situation. And the result is that I end up having to deal with this shit instead of the rest of what I needed to be doing.  I'm usually not happy with either one of them at this point...and my ears are full of both of them bitching about the other's supposed offenses.

Suffice to say that no matter what happens, you probably aren't on top of HR's list of favorite people right now either.  That position may not be justified, but it's human nature.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 7:14:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Remember HR drones are not human, they don't have souls  or a capacity for logic and work from thete
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 7:15:28 PM EDT
[#47]
In for the outcome!
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 7:15:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

That he would take my knife (I was cutting something on a table with it) out of my hand and slit my Fucking throat with it.

The man is a chihuahua. His threats are empty. This is the first time it's gone that far. He has threatened to kick some one else's ass before, however. At least that's what I was told by another employee
View Quote
Is your knife in violation of company policy?
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 7:17:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Yes.  Ask to see your company's anti-retaliation policy as well as appropriate state and federal statutes on that topic.   They will be able to provide those to you if they exist.

As far as the investigation goes, you have to decide what you are comfortable saying, and what you think might need to include your lawyer.   You are not being arrested, so there is no "Miranda" statement that they'll read you, but they should be up front with you as to the nature of the investigation and how the information you provide can and cannot be used, including against yourself in terms of your employment status.  

Best strategy is to tell the truth when asked specific questions by the person conducting the investigation.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 7:24:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Is your knife in violation of company policy?
View Quote
There is no clear policy on length. The knife on the multi tool they bought me is 2.75", or a bit over that. My daily work knife is 3.25
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top