Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:14:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Attention, attention everyone who responded to this thread will be drug tested and their homes searched for the good of the state.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:18:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Lots of ex-stoners posting on this thread
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:53:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The Division Bell is my favorite PF album.

+1
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:56:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The Division Bell is my favorite PF album.

+1

Pink Floyd without Roger Waters is just an overpriced cover band
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 10:20:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:59:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:19:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I still listen to music on RECORDS and pretty much stopped buying music when CD's killed records.  Can't keep my fngers off the volume knob and can't hear sh..  for days if I crank it up too loud.

Records actually, if kept well, have about the highest-quality sound you'll find outside of a live performance. If your record is free of pops, dust, and scratches, it's almost a perfect reproduction.

Which is why when I buy a sound system, I'll be sure to include a turntable, and buy what I can on LPs.

Not to mention, of course, with a DD, felt-covered-disc turntable, you can practice Madd DJ Skratching skillz, but that's not entirely conducive to a high-quality record.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:37:48 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Lots of ex-stoners posting on this thread

That would imply quitting smoking the sticky-icky.  All I am going to say is I am not a quitter
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:52:11 AM EDT
[#9]
i'm glad i'm not the only 1 who likes wish you were here.

they had about 20 years worth of kick ass albums.  the weirder the better.

the stuff they did before dark side damn near broke my brain when i listened to it as an impressionable youth.

dark side is still THE reference album you take to the shop when buying new equipment.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:22:12 AM EDT
[#10]
I Like DSOM, Animals, and the Wall.  I also really like Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking, and agree with the above stated about post Waters Floyd.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:23:25 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The Wall and Dark Side are 2 of the greatest albums ever,

+1
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:33:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 1:29:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Records actually, if kept well, have about the highest-quality sound you'll find outside of a live performance. If your record is free of pops, dust, and scratches, it's almost a perfect reproduction.

Balderdash. First of all, it is physically and scientifically impossible for an analog vinyl album to be a more accurate reproduction than a digital CD.  Second, once you play an album ONE TIME, it will have pops and clicks to some degree.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:37:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Dogs of War, On the Turning Away...  Awesome album.  DSOTM is my favorite Floyd, though.

HOWEVER:  Favorite album of all-time is: Thick As A Brick - Let the ridicule begin!!
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 6:28:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Breathe

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day...
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 6:35:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Laser Floyd at the Planetaruim.  No funky glasses needed.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:42:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Looking through some of the older albums, I see they apparently used to be called, "The Pink Floyd.

This useless factoid brought to you by the fact that it's after 8:30 and I've been awake for 21 1/2 hours and am bored stiff.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:57:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:00:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Are you sure it wasn't Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in Her Pooper and Posting Pics?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:06:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:09:51 AM EDT
[#21]
That's Time, my favorite.

Worth listening to the album just to hear it, Us and Them, and Brain Damage.

Actually, from what I hear, it was recorded as you hear it, in-studio, no breaks, with the SFX and spoken parts played during recording. It seems too coherent by itself to just be leftovers from The Wall.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:21:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Does anyone else have a thing for the live version of Run Like Hell? Can't remember right off the album name (probably some lost synapsys), but an awsome recording. BTW,Dark Side is my all time favorite album, but the guitar solo in Comfortably Numb is my fave short clip.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:29:27 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Balderdash. First of all, it is physically and scientifically impossible for an analog vinyl album to be a more accurate reproduction than a digital CD.  Second, once you play an album ONE TIME, it will have pops and clicks to some degree.

Wrong.  Digital is far from perfect, but analog CAN perfectly reproduce a sound wave.  Digital has to come as close as possible to reproducing the sound wave using "steps".  It looks like this:

Any questions?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:32:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Pink Floyd Albums:

The Official Rankings!!!**

1.  WISH YOU WERE HERE

2.  ANIMALS

3.  MEDDLE

4.  THE WALL

5.  DIVISION BELL

6.  DARK SIDE OF THE MOON

7.  MOMENTARY LAPSE OF REASON

**These comparisons may be entirely meaningless considering the album ranked #7 is only slightly worse than the album ranked #1.

And if they tell you the name of the game, boy, they call it riding the gravy traaaaaaaaaaaaaain.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:52:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Two Questions:

1. Anyone know where I can get the SACD?

2. Trivia....what's the root of the band's name?

Bomber
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:03:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Pink Anderson and Floyd Council. Either blues musicians or record producers, depending on who you believe.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:09:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:15:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Ever notice that the vinyl LP's last line in Dark Side of Moon (if you turn up the volume a lot during the heartbeat sound) says.. "There is no dark side of the moon, matter of fact, it's all dark."

That is missing from the CD version.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:25:13 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Ever notice that the vinyl LP's last line in Dark Side of Moon (if you turn up the volume a lot during the heartbeat sound) says.. "There is no dark side of the moon, matter of fact, it's all dark."

That is missing from the CD version.

It isn't missing from either of my CD versions, one normal, and one SACD.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:25:39 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Does anyone else have a thing for the live version of Run Like Hell? Can't remember right off the album name (probably some lost synapsys), but an awsome recording. BTW,Dark Side is my all time favorite album, but the guitar solo in Comfortably Numb is my fave short clip.

IIRC Pulse was the double-disc live set.  It had some good performances, and it had a live play of DSOTM on disc 2, great album - wish I knew where mine was.  Division Bell had some good stuff, too - used to fall asleep listening to that on hour-long commuter bus rides in undergrad.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:27:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Run Like Hell was also on the Delicate Sound of Thunder live video. I saw that tour in person, twice!!
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:37:46 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Quoted:
And wasn't Dark Side of the Moon left over songs from The Wall or some other album that was released by Roger Waters without the rest of the band knowing about it? Seems that I remember David Gilmore saying something to the effect that he didn't even know about teh album until he saw it in a store.

Dark Side of the Moon came looong (6 years) before The Wall… I still think the Wall was the dying gasp of the band.

ANdy
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:41:13 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Bomber

The band is named  after old bluesmen Pink Anderson and Floyd Council.

One of the best tracks EVER! ""Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun"

Andy
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:54:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Always a Pink Floyd fan; definitely ahead of their time. My favorite from that album was "Us and Them".
My kids call it "druggy music" and my wife can't stand it so I keep some CDs in my car. LOL.
Don't have Dark Side of the Moon though.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:09:08 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
    Hell yes. Lights out, put on the headphones, recline the La-Z- Boy. Outstanding.

Yup...quite close to the feeling of good ganja w/o breaking a law.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:14:22 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bomber

The band is named  after old bluesmen Pink Anderson and Floyd Council.

One of the best tracks EVER! ""Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun"

Andy

We have a winner.

Bomber
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:22:51 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
We have a winner.

Bomber

Not to be picky, but:

MagKnightX
Post Number :: 503

VA, USA

User Info     IM User     Email User     Reply     Quote     Edit  
Pink Anderson and Floyd Council. Either blues musicians or record producers, depending on who you believe.

Posted :: 8/23/2004 10:03:06 AM

Sweep
Site Staff
Staff AR15.com

Post Number :: 7820

GA, USA

User Info     IM User     Email User     Reply     Quote  
Quoted:
Two Questions:

Bomber

Taken from the name of two blues artist.

History teaches that wars begin when governments believe the price of aggression is cheap. ---Ronald Reagan.

Posted :: 8/23/2004 10:09:46 AM

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:30:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Without reading all the posts-which most seem to be in favor of DSM-I'll add my comment.

I rotate a lot of CDs in and out of my truck but there's 2 CDs that NEVER leave my truck:

Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here.(Close to the Edge by Yes also)

I have the digital remaster versions of both. I keep those at home.

Call me sentimental, but IMO Wish You Were Here is the best ROCK  album to play "hide the salami" to.

But between the two, Dark Side of the Moon gets my nod as BEST.

I have "Meddle" also and it's easy to understand where DSM got it's roots.

BTW, I have a fairly respectable home stereo system and whenever the GF is gone I'll air one or the both of them out.

I'm sure my neighbors/hunting buddies-that are accostmed to me listening to jazz that they've actually began getting interested in themselves-think I have a "dark side" due to the things I listen to when I'm not around them that they overhear.

Pink Floyd, Yes, King Crimson, Genesis, Traffic, etc.

ETA: I was listening to "24 hours at a Time" live version with Charlie Daniels at concert volume a few days ago when I pulled into my driveway and one of my neighbors looked at me and said, "I didn't know you listened to country music".
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:08:31 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
We have a winner.

Bomber

Not to be picky, but:

MagKnightX
Post Number :: 503

VA, USA

User Info     IM User     Email User     Reply     Quote     Edit  

Posted :: 8/23/2004 10:03:06 AM

Sweep
Site Staff
Staff AR15.com

Post Number :: 7820

GA, USA

User Info     IM User     Email User     Reply     Quote  
Quoted:
Two Questions:

Bomber

Taken from the name of two blues artist.

History teaches that wars begin when governments believe the price of aggression is cheap. ---Ronald Reagan.

Posted :: 8/23/2004 10:09:46 AM

Sorry I missed your post....you were first, but the name Pink Floyd was coined by Barret from an old blues album he liked by Pink Anderson and Floyd Council. The irony is Barret never met either Council or Anderson who died in 1974.

More on Anderson: Here

Bomber

PS there was a biography on Pink Floyd a few weeks back.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:48:33 AM EDT
[#40]
BTW, Led Zeppelin and PINK FLOYD were principal financial backers of Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

I bought the "definitive" 2 disc edition last week and it has all kinds of interesting stuff on it, among the mention of financial backing.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:52:51 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
BTW, Led Zeppelin and PINK FLOYD were principal financial backers of Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

I bought the "definitive" 2 disc edition last week and it has all kinds of interesting stuff on it, among the mention of financial backing.

One of the funniest movies ever made!
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:04:51 AM EDT
[#42]
if you have not lisened to DSOTM on SACD you aint heard sheet.

I sive sleep/eat/crap floyd music and when I popped that in the new SACD holy crapolie!!!!
It made me want to burn all my old floyd CD's - (which i would never do...)

nothin like hearing 5 channels of different sound - like different clock noises out of EACH speaker and that part of the guy running he starts in the left front speaker and runs all the way around the room  throug all 5 speakers - very cool

it was one of the few albums that actually brought tears to my eyes it was so cool
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:16:19 AM EDT
[#43]
oh yea- Animals is excellent
Dogs

...gotta admit, I'm little bit confused....
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:19:25 AM EDT
[#44]
pink floyd
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top