Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:43:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Her at Ft Riley if you get a DUI off post the Army can't touch you, it's double jeopardy. All we can do is send you to ASAP. No ART 15, no chapter, nothing. JAG won't even let us ART 15 them for disobeying a lawful order from a Commissioned Officer even though we all get safety briefs from a Captain or higher every weekend. Our JAG office here is populated with bleeding hearts that ALWAYS side with the shitbag.

On post DUI is an automatic Chapter. Two weeks and you are a civilian and you can kiss your GI bill and VA home loan goodbye. I haven't seen any E-7 or higher get a DUI so I don't know if they would let that slide or not.

Not entirely true, I had a joe who got a DUI while on leave, off post, during EML (I was a Co CDR at  FT Riley). When we got back, his PSG got me the paperwork from the police and I pushed it up. He got his second GOMAR. Never underestimate those. Before he went on leave he was given a direct order by his then CO not to drive. He did anyway. Also when we got back, we restricted his off post privileges and he violated that order too. My BC had no qualms with giving him a FG art 15.  CG art 15 + FG art 15 + two GOMARs= Easy chapter. CGs can always give GOMARS.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:27:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Snip

Thanks for the explanation

The JAG guys just told us we couldn't do anything except administrative actions because it was double jeopardy to prosecute them.  Yours is the first explanation I've heard.  Learn something new everyday.

FT Riley does have a policy not to prosecute crimes under UCMJ in which SM are facing Civilian legal action. My TC informed of this many times. Actually just the other day when I ran screaming into his office to complain that I now had to self report any civilian convictions (new Army policy).

Also I knew two LTs who got DUIs at FT Riley (off post I think). They both were relieved, reassigned and given GOMARs. They both were eventually promoted to Captain above the zone.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:35:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Lose driving privileges.

Mandatory DUI classes.

Community services.

Battalion level NJP.

Demoted one rank.

Restriction for however long...
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:38:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Snip

The JAG guys just told us we couldn't do anything except administrative actions because it was double jeopardy to prosecute them.  Yours is the first explanation I've heard.  Learn something new everyday.

FT Riley does have a policy not to prosecute crimes under UCMJ in which SM are facing Civilian legal action. My TC informed of this many times. Actually just the other day when I ran screaming into his office to complain that I now had to self report any civilian convictions (new Army policy).

Also I knew two LTs who got DUIs at FT Riley (off post I think). They both were relieved, reassigned and given GOMARs. They both were eventually promoted to Captain above the zone.

I'm positive we know several of the same people and likely the same SJA
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:57:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Snip

You understand it is the Commanding General's policy, not the SJA's.  Military Justice is a Commander's program.

And it is General Officer Memorandum Of Reprimand (GOMOR).
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:58:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Snip

yeah we most likley do, as a matter of fact we may have even worked in the same shop.

Does the quote "your free time means nothing to me" ring any bells?

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:04:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't know about drunk, but a long time ago a newly hatched butterbar got an audience with the CG at Fort Gordon for racing his 240 Z off post.

Must have been epic. He was a live wire and we didn't hear a peep from him for days.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 12:54:14 PM EDT
[#8]
2d Cavalry, Amberg, FRG 1975-1978. In three years I don't remember a DUI. We had to have the Troop Commanders permission to have a privately owned vehicle. He also had to sign for you to get a license. If you were single and lived in the barracks, you didn't have a car. I sincerely believe they saved a lot of lives. Now drinking and driving a Border Jeep was a common occurrence. LOL, Mike
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 4:32:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

If you get arrested and convicted of DUI off post do you get in any trouble with your unit? NJP?
Had a very drunk E-5 that i recently hooked up with a cab ride home assure me "not if you're a good Marine."
UCMJ applies.  If your E-5 did not inform his command, and they find out (and they will), the shit will hit the fan.
Usually, they will hit you with Article 134:
all disorders and neglects to the
prejudice of good order and discipline in the armed forces, all
conduct of a nature to bring discredit upon the armed forces

Don't know if the Marines will label it as "an alcohol incident" as the Coast Guard does.  They will then do an evaluation.  A second "alcohol incident" will get you discharged.

I was amused by the post where an Air Force officer hired a lawyer to handle his DUII.  His command may not have found out in the short term, but the next time his clearance was up for review, and they find it in LEDS - he's screwed.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 4:34:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you get arrested and convicted of DUI off post do you get in any trouble with your unit? NJP?

Had a very drunk E-5 that i recently hooked up with a cab ride home assure me "not if you're a good Marine."

I don't know about the Marines but my buddy was just kicked out last month for his 2nd DUI conviction from back in 2008.  He had 19 years in the Guard, only 17 or so were good years but still let go, meanwhile, there are HUGE fucking shitbags in the unit that are allowed to stay in simply because they "don't get in trouble" but are otherwise gigantic fuckups.  /sigh

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 1:07:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
DUIs are the military hot button.

They sure are in the Navy.

Career killer these days of PTS.

Same for the Army - the guy in my platoon that got one was a super-soldier - EIB first time, Airborne, Air Assault qualified - got a DWI, was busted back to E-2, given a shitload of extra duty, & they took away his slot at Ranger school. He ended up ETS'ing right after his 4 years was up.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top