Site Notices
Page / 16
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 8:40:32 PM EDT
[#1]
tag
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 8:46:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I'm not so sure XM193 was every really seconds... Maybe second cases, but why a 55gr (which LC doesn't churn out) in NATO headstamp cases.

Actually, I'm pretty sure LC does still make 55gr, last time I saw their company propaganda brochure (which was a couple years ago at the UM-Rolla job fair).
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 8:52:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Jesus fucking christ.

ATTENTION FUCKING TARDS:  "Scrap Venture" is not DRMS/DRMO!

NOTE DOD 4715.4 authorizes QRPs to recycle firing-range scrap consisting of expended
brass and mixed metals gleaned from firing range clearance through direct sales or
consignment to DRMS. Mixed metals gleaned from firing range clean up are defined
as material (e.g., shrapnel) which is in a form that is unrecognizable from its original
configuration and does not require further DEMIL. For information, the DOD
Instruction requires that generators in CONUS who choose to sell expended brass
through direct sale must mutilate it by crushing, shredding, cutting, tearing, scratching
crushing, breaking, punching, shearing, burning, neutralizing, etc., or otherwise
destroy it prior to sale. If generators sell expended brass through DRMS there is no
mutilation requirement.
The rule for OCONUS is different. OCONUS QRPs can
recycle expended brass through the DRMO. In order to qualify for reimbursement, the
generator must demilitarize it prior to turning accountability over to the DRMO.
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 8:59:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I googled

Expended small arms cartridge cases, caliber .50 and
under, after being properly inspected, certified, and verified, shall be crushed, shredded, or
otherwise destroyed prior to public sale through a Qualified Recycling Program.

Here:
https://demil.osd.mil/demil_get_file.asp?link_id=315

You have to read what it's actually saying:

If it's sold as SCRAP it must be destroyed first..

If it's sold as what it is, by DRMO, it doesn't have to be destroyed...

Link Posted: 3/12/2009 9:02:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
.....If generators sell expended brass through DRMS there is no mutilation requirement....

True yesterday...  nothing ever changes, right

Since November 1st, 2008, the entire surplus contract has changed beyond recognition. GL now "owns" the property it is selling. Basically a no-bid purchase of ALL DRMS property under that Nov 1 contract.  They are transporting nearly all of it to 3 central locations and basically shutting down sales at most DRMOs.

We'll see...
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 9:05:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
.....If generators sell expended brass through DRMS there is no mutilation requirement....

True yesterday...  nothing ever changes, right

Since November 1st, 2008, the entire surplus contract has changed beyond recognition. GL now "owns" the property it is selling. Basically a no-bid purchase of ALL DRMS property under that Nov 1 contract.  They are transporting nearly all of it to 3 central locations and basically shutting down sales at most DRMOs.

We'll see...

Yeah, but since that dumbass email is only talking about "SV" sales, it has nothing to do with DRMO brass sales.

The "popper" is going to be the big worry for fucked-up brass.
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 9:06:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Jesus fucking christ.

Scrap Venture is Government Liquidation.

Re-read,  repeat as needed.
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 9:15:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll get the scoop from the DRMO guy on base tomorrow; he's kind of a squirrely fellow....got a weird look about him when I even hinted that some spare brass might be left lying around.  You'd think I'd asked him about trucking a nuke away or something...    They spend their time nowdays worrying about disposition of excess publications that are not even FOUO or Limited Distribution.  Someone is breathing down their necks about stupid stuff.  Gone are the good old days when a guy would give a Marine a few .45 holsters, lanyards and magazines.  I think that they should give the stuff to Marines, rather than sell it to surplus dealers at pennies on the dollar so that Marines can buy it at 1000% markup in town.
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 9:16:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Now, does this affect XM193 and surplus M855 seconds from federal and lake city, or just fired brass?

Definitely.  All scrap from LC is handled by the local DRMO through DLA policies.

Scrap yes, but the ammo coming out no, as it is part of the contract that comes with running the facility they can sell the seconds and excess production

If it was coming through DRMO we wouldn't have the stuff we do now- no live ammo comes through DRMO.

wheewwww
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 9:17:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jesus fucking christ.

Scrap Venture is Government Liquidation.

Re-read,  repeat as needed.

Re-re-read the difference between "scrap venture", what your dumbass email was talking about and DRMS/DRMO sales.

If that's too hard:
Sold directly out of the ASP/other collection point/sales point/DRMO as SCRAP METAL: demil/mutilate

Some ammo techs sort that shit, inspect that shit, certify that shit and drag it down to DRMO so it can be sold by DRMO/DRMS to people who resell it as once-fired brass: no demil

Still too complicated?
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 9:27:19 PM EDT
[#11]
and all my shooting buddies asked why i had so much brass on hand...
idiots.
short sited idiots.
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 9:30:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Should be easy to verify...

Send an email to DRMO and ask about changes in the B demil code.

BTW: Sometime back around 94-95, there was a rumor that DRMO was going to hard anneal (read: torch) all fired brass... Turned out to be total crap. From what I can tell, this is also BS.

I'm hoisting the flag untill I've heard back from DRMO.

No, poppers are in the works. Lots of EPA red tape and local resistance wherever they want to put, which may be the saving grace.

Link Posted: 3/12/2009 9:35:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Thane once turned me into a newt.....
....I got better.
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 9:35:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
To the naysayers..............

thanegrooms is not sume fucking shit-spewing troll.  He's one of the upstanding members of our WAHTF.  What he's doing here is sharing information.  No reason to doubt it.

Yeah there is.  Scrap Venture (SV) in not the same as DRMO/DRMS.  Scrap Metal is not the same as fired ammunition. It's not hard.  

He's sharing an email.  E-MAIL from a business that does SV (scrap venture) sales.  Scrap metal is not once fired ammunition.

Nomenclature and definition matter.  This is thread three on this topic and all three are full of fucking fail.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 9:37:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Well,

Let me put my hip boots on and wade in here,

I follow the Govt liquidation auctions in my state fairly closely.

What I have been seeing in the past 6 months is the 9mm brass being deformed, by the govt, before it goes to auction.   It is run through a set of rollers to make it impossible to reload.

Most of the  auctions for 50 cal and larger, have mutilation requirements for the buyer.

Soon, I expect to see other calibers, like 5.56, being deformed prior to auction as well.

It seems kind of a mute point.   Most of these auctions are for such large amounts, the final bids are well into the tens of thousands of dollars.  Many require a $10,000 entry just to bid on the auction.    Haven't found an arfcommer yet willing to send that much $$$ for spent mil brass.
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 9:38:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've met Thane and I can tell you for sure, He's one of those guys that is always full of drama,  Lies about everything, Lives to troll the internet, shot my dog, and stole my bible!

I say ban him from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

Very late one night... say April 18th  ...when you are snuggled up in your camper.....  

Dude, you've got a date...  Maybe even a Thane Groom.
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 10:04:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Why the frak has no one posted a link to the webpage.

http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=2235020&convertTo=USD

LOT (22380 LBS APPROX) SMALL ARMS BRASS EXPENDED CARTRIDGE CASES. (9MM)ONE SMALL DRUM. (7. 62)THREE SMALL DRUMS AND SEVEN LARGE DRUMS. (5. 56)TWO LARGE COFFIN CONTAINERS AND TWO LARGE DRUMS. MATERIAL IS BANDED TO WOOD AND STEEL PALLETS INCLUDED IN LOT AND APPROX LOT WEIGHT. MUTILATION NOT REQUIRED.

Link Posted: 3/12/2009 10:05:49 PM EDT
[#18]
I do not think this thread is turning out as OP intended .
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 10:15:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

LOT (22380 LBS APPROX) SMALL ARMS BRASS EXPENDED CARTRIDGE CASES. (9MM)ONE SMALL DRUM. (7. 62)THREE SMALL DRUMS AND SEVEN LARGE DRUMS. (5. 56)TWO LARGE COFFIN CONTAINERS AND TWO LARGE DRUMS. MATERIAL IS BANDED TO WOOD AND STEEL PALLETS INCLUDED IN LOT AND APPROX LOT WEIGHT. MUTILATION NOT REQUIRED.

Text of that already posted. I can not believe the stupidity in this thread.

If I felt like getting the REAL scoop on this, I would not be calling some clueless Joe the forklift driver at DRMO, unless you are getting the RO directly.  I would call some small Army ASP like Yakima and ask for the RO, or even better, the QA officer. Ask for Don.  If he can't speak from beating his head on the desk trying to figure out how between his six overworked people and DRMO they are going to mutilate tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of fired cases prior to or after getting to DRMO you know you better get out the credit card.

Once again, and for the last time.

Scrap metal sales (SV for "scrap venture") require you to mutilate, so it can not be used for it's intended purpose. SV is the poor-mans, reduced overhead almost direct to buyer program for SCRAP METAL.
If fired ammunition is to be sold at the bake-and-scrap sale for MWR for a new bowling alley via the SV program, it must be mutilated

Brass destined for your reloading bench via end user > ASP > DRMO/DRMS > middle man with lots of money and transport > GIBrass/Brassman/Cabellas > you does not require mutilation.
Even the fucktard email that started all this specifically mentioned SV sales and SV sale only.

It's not hard. I've been cruising the web for four hours, and there is NOTHING to verify this shit.  If I'm wrong, I have a big-ass crow to eat, but no more so than our gov surplus experts in this thread who don't know the difference between the two.

Link Posted: 3/12/2009 10:16:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Lots of confusion, noise and panic here.  Will somebody please interpret it for me:

Is the Military demanding that the brass be mutilated, or not?
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 10:19:36 PM EDT
[#21]
change you can believe in
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 10:21:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I felt like getting the REAL scoop on this, I would not be calling some clueless Joe the forklift driver at DRMO, unless you are getting the RO directly.  I would call some small Army ASP like Yakima and ask for the RO, or even better, the QA officer. Ask for Don.  If he can't speak from beating his head on the desk trying to figure out how between his six overworked people and DRMO they are going to mutilate tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of fired cases prior to or after getting to DRMO you know you better get out the credit card.

Scrap metal sales (SV for "scrap venture") require you to mutilate, so it can not be used for it's intended purpose.
Brass destined for your reloading bench via end user > ASP > DRMO/DRMS > middle man with lots of money and transport > GIBrass/Brassman/Cabellas > you does not require mutilation.
Even the fucktard email that started all this specifically mentioned SV sales and SV sale only.
The guy with one arm, right?

Link Posted: 3/12/2009 10:24:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Lots of confusion, noise and panic here.  Will somebody please interpret it for me:

Is the Military demanding that the brass be mutilated, or not?

God damn it. Not the mil, the DLA and supply chain, and a few CFR's IIRC.

Yes, if the 5.56, 7.62, 9mm, .50 cal, 20mm, 30mm, 40mm and the rest is being sold as SCRAP METAL

If it is going to be sold as what it is, fired ammunition components through DRMO/DRMS NO!

That's it, the end, the facts.  Unless somebody produces a document that says all once fired brass is now considered scrap metal and must be demilled as such, nothing has changed. Items sold as scrap metal have always had some sort of mutilation requirement.

The one important part of that email that nobody bothered to think about was the two letters "SV".  End of panic.
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 10:31:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Scrap metal sales (SV for "scrap venture") require you to mutilate, so it can not be used for it's intended purpose.
The guy with one arm, right?

Correct.
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 10:43:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Our base armory DRMO's brass and it isnt destroyed..  They have been more diligent in having us police our brass after range sessions though.

What we expend is miniscule compared to 99.9% of USMC/USA facilities though so maybe Im talking out my ass.
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 10:43:25 PM EDT
[#26]
There is quite a bit of needless disrespect in this thread.
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 10:46:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I guess that would be me, but there are some dense individuals posting in this thread, and some of them claim to be deeply involved in surplus sales.

There are only so many ways you can say it until you need profanity.

Anyway, sorry.
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 10:56:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Call BS if you like....  I'll call in the morning and completely verify...

http://www.auctionadvisory.com/govliq1.jpg

Note the words "scrap metal buyers".  Note the phrase "Scrap Venture (SV)".  You could have stopped spazzing right there.  You are the gov liquidation expert, no?

"Scrap" being the word to keep in mind.
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 11:33:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess that would be me, but there are some dense individuals posting in this thread, and some of them claim to be deeply involved in surplus sales.

There are only so many ways you can say it until you need profanity.

Anyway, sorry.

Then say your piece and be done.  Who cares if the OP doesn't get it?  Let people read the thread, read the responses wherein this whole thing was clarified, and be done with it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 12:06:03 AM EDT
[#30]
tag, I got to work now and read later
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 12:08:50 AM EDT
[#31]
If this means that all GovLiq brass must be demiled from now on, this is a HUGE deal. That means Black Hills, Ultramax, Top Brass, etc are out of business using once-fired brass. GL has been the sole source for brass for many years for the commercial reloaders. This cuts out tens of millions of rounds of once fired brass from the reloading/ammo market per year. ONCE-FIRED BRASS prices just tripled.

This will be good for tarp sales because you will be picking up EVERY brass case from now on because they are now worth about $ 180 per 1000 for 223.

Link Posted: 3/13/2009 12:30:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If this means that all GovLiq brass must be demiled from now on, this is a HUGE deal. That means Black Hills, Ultramax, Top Brass, etc are out of business using once-fired brass. GL has been the sole source for brass for many years for the commercial reloaders. This cuts out tens of millions of rounds of once fired brass from the reloading/ammo market per year. ONCE-FIRED BRASS prices just tripled.

This will be good for tarp sales because you will be picking up EVERY brass case from now on because they are now worth about $ 180 per 1000 for 223.

Not even.  They can afford to go to auction at various DRMOs and bid on thousands of pounds.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 12:37:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not even.  They can afford to go to auction at various DRMOs and bid on thousands of pounds.  

I hope you are right and that they don't have to demil the brass before picking it up. If they do, they won't be bidding on it.
I don't know, this may only apply to SV sales which may be different from commerical sales contacts. I hope so. Because if they can still buy under some other contract without demil, we will be OK. If not, we are all screwed on once-fired brass.
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 1:55:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 2:36:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Tag for more information.
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 2:42:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Jesus Christ, who do they hire to write this shit? Is clear, effective communication outlawed, or what?

How about: "Official Notice: We're no longer selling you once fired brass, unless it's been mutilated first."

EDIT: "This notice will serve as official notification..."

Are they paid by the letter?

I don't find the message to be difficult to understand. Maybe its you?
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 2:42:39 AM EDT
[#37]
The way I read the linked AEDA policy PDF is thus:

If the expended brass is to be sold via the base recycling program as exactly that, expended brass (note: no specificity as to exactly what KIND of expended brass it is), it then must be DEMILes before being sold.

Why, you ask? So a local reloader who doesn't want to go through the steps to get fired brass he can reload from DRMS (DRMO is the old acronym, DRMS is the new and improved) can shortcut that whole process and get perfectly useable brass for pennies a round by simply buying the brass as scrap.

Let me repeat that: The big guys who sell reloaded rounds commercially can afford the bond and other stuff to go buy expended cartridges from DRMS by the ton.

I used to send expended brass to NAS Whidbey recycling about 4 times a year without mutilating it, but when this DLA change was implemented (roughly 2001) it all had to go down to the regional DRMS center at Ft. Lewis, since we didn't have the capability to implement mutilation.
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 2:44:52 AM EDT
[#38]
tag
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 2:55:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Well this will drive up the price of re manufactured ammo too.............FUCK
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 3:03:31 AM EDT
[#40]
It's a shame.  I reloaded many a bucket of 5.56 and 7.62 brass from the local NG armories in my youth.
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 3:17:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Kiss all the Lake City and WCC brass goodbye.

Since the election I can't any primers (CCI BR4 or CCI 41), Winchester brass is no where to be found and none of the distributors know when they will see any again. It was bad before the election, but you could still buy all the components you wanted. After the election all the components dried up overnight.

Link Posted: 3/13/2009 3:29:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 3:31:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Huh.  There is actually a process for getting rid of this stuff?  The NG armories used to let me police the brass and keep it after their range time.
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 3:44:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 3:47:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Ammo shortage, what ammo shortage.  Theres plenty at walmart!

THE BIGGER THE FONT, THE BIGGER THE POINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 3:47:40 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Huh.  There is actually a process for getting rid of this stuff?  The NG armories used to let me police the brass and keep it after their range time.

Probably because it was way easier to do that for them than to "dispose" of it the propper way.  Govt rules make me go
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 3:53:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ohh yes.

At the ASP you have to turn in all packaging, bandoleers, links and brass for the amount of ammo you took out.

They weigh the brass, and if you are not within a certain percentage of what you took out, back to the range to police up more you go.

I really should know about this...but I don't.  I remember signing stuff in and out and the ungodly amounts of paperwork for everything under the sun, but I never paid too close attention to any of it and did as little of it as I could get away with.
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 4:01:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Well then, there goes ALL military brass.

And that is a lot of brass.
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 4:28:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Well then, there goes ALL military brass.

and so it begins.....
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 4:39:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top