Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/23/2008 3:15:40 PM EDT
[#1]
probably some minor civil disturbances.  the absolute worst case scenario is we see a Seattle WTO type riot.
Link Posted: 4/23/2008 3:15:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/23/2008 3:29:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd offer to drop gay bombs, but I don't think it'd have any effect.
Link Posted: 4/23/2008 3:39:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/23/2008 3:41:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Fuck em
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 12:19:37 PM EDT
[#6]
keeping this alive for the convention
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 12:45:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Denver Police Stocking Up For Convention, But Won't Disclose Equipment
by: Erin Rosa
Thu Apr 03, 2008 at 07:40 AM MDT

The Denver Police Department is using taxpayer money to buy new security equipment in preparation for the Democratic National Convention in August but is refusing to disclose exactly what the purchases are, saying that revealing the information would be "contrary to the public interest."

While the Denver City Council has already allocated approximately $5 million of the $50 million in federal funds provided by Congress for national security, the police department is buying equipment on the local level through the city's routine purchasing process, which in some cases can bypass city council approval, according to public officials.
Erin Rosa :: Denver Police Stocking Up For Convention, But Won't Disclose Equipment
"We're going to follow our regular processes for any reasonable procurement," said Jim McIntyre, director of the Denver Purchasing Division, who noted that the city council deals only with purchases totaling $500,000 or more. "I am trying to manage the security concerns of other entities, and just where that line is, that's a good question."

Detective John White, a spokesman for the police department, confirmed the Denver police were buying new equipment to "enhance the safety" of convention attendees. White declined to say exactly what and how much was being purchased. He said the total amount of taxpayer money used to buy the equipment might not be known until after the convention.

Colorado Confidential sent an open records request to the Denver Police Department in March, seeking any and all purchase orders, award papers, and contracts regarding security equipment for the convention. A response from the city's Department of Safety (the parent organization for the police department) denied the request and stated that such information would disclose "tactical information" that is not in the public interest.

The denial of purchasing information drew criticism from the Colorado American Civil Liberties Union and demonstrators planning to protest during the convention.

"Clearly the expenditure of public funds is a matter of public interest and is a matter that is a legitimate subject of public disclosure," said Mark Silverstein, legal director for the state chapter of the ACLU.

While Silverstein admitted that the police may not want to say how such purchases would be used, he said that is not the same thing as knowing what equipment the department is buying.

"Certainly the knowledge that the police have certain equipment couldn't be contrary to the public interest," he said.

Mark Cohen, a member of the organizing committee for the Recreate 68 Alliance, a coalition of groups that plan to demonstrate at the Democratic convention, released a statement saying that the group is very concerned about so-called "crowd control" and "less than lethal" weapons and equipment the police department may be purchasing in anticipation of protests, including Tasers and other sonic weapons that can be used to disperse crowds.

"Contrary to [the police department's] statement, it is very much in the public interest for the people of Denver to know whether the Denver Police Department -- which should be subject to civilian oversight in such matters -- is planning to purchase such equipment with public funds for use on peaceful protesters," said Cohen, who contended that Recreate 68 is planning to engage in peaceful and nonviolent protests during the convention.

In St. Paul, Minn., where the Republican National Convention will be held in September, police have requested 230 Tasers for all department officers. The Tasers should arrive before the convention, creating speculation that they are being purchased for the event.

Denver City Councilman Doug Linkhart, chairman of the council's Safety Committee, said that transparency will continue to be an issue, even when the city council appropriates federal security funds.

"We're going to try and be as open as possible," said Linkhart. "But there will be some things even I and the mayor's office don't know."

According to Linkhart, the council has already allocated $5 million of the $50 million in federal security funds approved by Congress, funding a heavy rescue vehicle, a hazardous materials response vehicle, a unified incident command post, and an urban search and rescue unit.

"The Denver Police Department has a history of over reliance on the 'contrary to the public interest' language," said Silverstein, noting that the state ACLU has successfully sued Denver five times regarding the open records response. "It's overused. It's used in situations where it's not legitimate."

While the police department is declining to release the purchasing orders, city budget documents offer some clues but no certainties.

Denver 2008 budget documents for the Department of Safety show that one of the police department's missions will be to "successfully implement the security and safety surrounding the Democratic National Convention."

Funding for the police department's patrol division, which includes uniformed patrol officers and tactical groups including the SWAT team, is getting a projected budget increase of $5.1 million over 2007, or a boost of 6.7 percent. While approximately $1.3 million of the additional funds will be used for helicopter maintenance and a redeployment of officer positions, about $3.8 million remains in unspecified funds.

The patrol division budget was $75.8 million in 2006 and approximately $76.7 million in 2007. It is estimated to be $81.8 million in 2008.

Law enforcement officials in Denver can use federal funds to reimburse security costs from the convention.

A representative with the Denver convention host committee confirmed that none of the committee's funds will be used to purchase police equipment.
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 1:03:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Whats going to happen?

Well except for some bitching and moaning: nada.

Link Posted: 5/21/2008 2:11:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Whats going to happen?

Well except for some bitching and moaning: nada.

We shall see.....
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 2:19:22 PM EDT
[#10]
car-b-ques are always the best
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 6:52:33 AM EDT
[#11]
keeping the thread alive

Link Posted: 5/28/2008 7:10:26 AM EDT
[#12]
My drive to work will get worse due to the fucking traffic.  I work just North of downtown Denver.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 7:24:31 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Colorado Confidential sent an open records request to the Denver Police Department in March, seeking any and all purchase orders, award papers, and contracts regarding security equipment for the convention. A response from the city's Department of Safety (the parent organization for the police department) denied the request and stated that such information would disclose "tactical information" that is not in the public interest.

The denial of purchasing information drew criticism from the Colorado American Civil Liberties Union and demonstrators planning to protest during the convention.

"Clearly the expenditure of public funds is a matter of public interest and is a matter that is a legitimate subject of public disclosure," said Mark Silverstein, legal director for the state chapter of the ACLU.

Being someone "in the know" (for once!) on some of the particular equipment, I am anxious to see it deployed.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 7:36:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 7:37:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Shamelessly ripped-off from another thread...

Link Posted: 5/28/2008 7:57:51 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Being someone "in the know" (for once!) on some of the particular equipment, I am anxious to see it deployed.  

Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:58:15 AM EDT
[#17]
A Democratic National Committee decision to accept a proportion of Michigan delegates that differed from the popular vote riled Hillary Clinton supporters and may lead to further maneuvering as the primaries end Tuesday.

Burn baby
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:59:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Perhaps no riots  
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:03:45 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Perhaps no riots  

FUCK!!!!
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:04:54 PM EDT
[#20]
SCREW American Idol

THIS is gonna be good!
Link Posted: 8/6/2008 3:06:55 PM EDT
[#21]
bump I think the riots may be back on
Link Posted: 8/6/2008 3:12:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Given the DPD's abysmal record when it comes to crowd control, I can almost guarantee there will be riots.

I honestly don't know if they enjoy provoking things, or are just truly incompetent.
Link Posted: 8/6/2008 3:23:19 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Were there riots when "Bush stole the election" in 2000?

Nope

Organizing a proper and timely riot takes some time and foreknowledge that what you want isn't going to happen.  Not saying they will definitely riot, just that the situation is different. The Clinton supporters have known well in advanced they are going to get barracked in the butt.

Link Posted: 8/6/2008 3:27:55 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
How many states are left after Penn???

Can Hillary pull it off without a brokered convention?

It's impossible for her to get enough committed delegates.

Incidentally, Obama is in the same boat. NEITHER can win on committed delegates alone. Super delegates WILL determine the nomination.

I find it funny, the democrat party nomination is controled by the power elite instead of by votes.

Not too DEMOCRATIC, is it?
Link Posted: 8/6/2008 3:32:05 PM EDT
[#25]
I understand it is illegal to cary poo and urine in Denver as of this morning. Does that mean there is a waiting period?
Link Posted: 8/6/2008 3:58:29 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Given the DPD's abysmal record when it comes to crowd control, I can almost guarantee there will be riots.

I honestly don't know if they enjoy provoking things, or are just truly incompetent.

All I know is that if you plan to fling poo/ other items I would suggest a helmet and good insurance
Link Posted: 8/6/2008 4:08:00 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Seriously? You guys think there are going to be riots?

Does a bear shit in the woods?

John
Link Posted: 8/6/2008 4:41:20 PM EDT
[#28]
I think Republicans are a higher class of people and won't riot or do anything, unlike the dumb ass-acrats who are animals.  Now there's the issue with the P.U.M.A. (Party Unity My Ass), but they're Dems also.
Link Posted: 8/8/2008 7:20:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Burn Baby Burn

Clinton backers want vote

enda Krause is tired of fearmongering among the Democrats.

The 55-year-old delegate to the Democratic National Convention doesn't think the party — or its unity — is in any way compromised by her voting for Hillary Rodham Clinton at the roll call.

When Clinton dropped out of the running, Krause mourned that her generation probably isn't going to see a woman claim the Oval Office.

That day, she vowed to stick with the New York senator.

"I'm not going to be coerced into something I don't believe in," said Krause, who lives in Colorado Springs and owns a real estate office. "That makes me less unified. If they let me have my voice, I'll feel more unified."

So go the voices of dozens of national delegates

across the country, pledged to Clinton, who say they are flummoxed about what to do when they are asked to cast a vote in a few weeks.

Though the majority of the Democratic Party backs Sen. Barack Obama, an undercurrent of staunch and loyal Clinton supporters say they'll fight all the way to the national convention, which begins Aug. 25 in Denver, to put her name on the ballot.

Jenny Backus, a senior Obama adviser and convention liaison in Denver, said that across the country, Obama and Clinton delegates have forged ties.

"Sen. Clinton will obviously play a critical role during this convention," Backus said. "Already, we've seen a tremendous reaching out. I've heard of Obama delegates going to Clinton debt-reduction parties. We're one party."

But for many Clinton delegates, it is about principle.

Because they were chosen by her supporters in districts across the country, many say they won't feel that they have fulfilled their duty until they cast a vote for her — however futile that might be.

"I will come on board the unity train with a first-class ticket if, before doing so, I get the opportunity to vote for my candidate," said Daniel Kagan, a property developer and lawyer from Arapahoe County. "On Aug. 28, when Obama accepts the nomination, I will be there cheering along with the rest of them, but only if I have had the chance to vote first."

Kagan is among a small group of people working to garner 300 signatures from national delegates to complete DNC rule requirements to put Clinton's name back on the ballot. Even if they get enough signatures, Clinton must agree to have her name placed on the ballot.

Dean: Choice up to Clinton

Rules of the convention require a roll-call vote and stipulate that "delegates may vote for the candidate of their choice whether or not the name of such candidate was placed in nomination." The national committee can decide how to handle those votes.

Asked whether Clinton's name would be on the ballot, Democratic National Convention Committee spokeswoman Natalie Wyeth said that DNC chairman Howard Dean "has said that's up to her, whether she will put her name in nomination."

Clinton has said in YouTube postings and in a Web chat Thursday that she is working with the Democratic National Committee and the Obama campaign to find a solution.

Texas delegate Linda Figueroa, a 53-year-old paralegal from Corpus Christi, said the pledged Clinton supporters were told in a delegate conference call this week that they would not get to vote for her. Figueroa said the senator's scheduled speech on the floor of the Pepsi Center on Tuesday evening, Aug. 26, was "not enough."

"We (the Clinton delegates) are really having our ups and downs," Figueroa said. "She deserves more than what she's going to get."

Other Clinton delegates said privately that they were afraid to speak out against the Democratic National Committee or Obama, for fear of getting their credentials yanked at the convention.

Debra Bartoshevich, a Wisconsin delegate who, after Clinton dropped out, said she planned to support Republican John McCain, already has been kicked off the national delegation.

Yet, the Obama campaign says it is working hard to solidify the party.

"I think the Obama campaign has tremendous respect for Sen. Clinton and the millions of Americans who supported and worked for her candidacy," said Obama spokeswoman Shannon Gilson. "We've been reaching out to her supporters to join this campaign for change and are struck by how unified Dems are."

One of the olive-branch Clinton delegates is Hector Balderas, the 34-year-old state auditor of New Mexico. He supported Clinton because he liked her policies surrounding high school dropouts. Now he's traversing the state pushing the message for Obama.

"I wouldn't see it as a coronation if we were unified with a particular candidate," Balderas said, adding that putting the party together "would be preparation to do battle" against McCain.

The grassroots group of Clinton supporters says it has nearly 200 signatures notarized to put her name on the convention ballot, with commitments from at least 100 more.

In an attempt to inspire the masses, Kagan, a delegate from Colorado's 1st Congressional District, borrowed from French philosopher Voltaire.

"I don't agree with the way you intend to vote, but I'll fight to the death for your right to vote," he said.

Others, like Will Bower, a founder of Project Unity My A--, or PUMA, are not ready to support Obama.

"Most of us are still working toward getting Hillary the nomination," he said. "We still see a path for victory in Denver."

Anti-"coronation"

At the convention, vociferous Clinton supporters will protest and hold signs that will read "Denounce Nobama's Coronation."

"My group and I are not looking to be arrested," said Simone DuBois, who lives in northern California and filmed the YouTube video from a Clinton fundraiser last week that is madly circulating the country.

DuBois plans to protest in Denver and said she'll probably vote for McCain. "I always thought the Democratic Party had my values until this."

A political action committee called The Denver Group is raising money to pay for newspaper advertisements calling on the Democratic National Committee to allow a vote on both primary candidates and "not a coronation."

Another group plans to air a documentary called "The Audacity of Democracy," which highlights voter confusion during the 2008 Democratic primaries.

Allowing delegates to vote for their chosen candidate gives them an opportunity to celebrate that candidate and their work on the campaign, said former Colorado Sen. Gary Hart, who ran for president in 1984 and 1988.

At the convention in 1984, Hart said, each of his 1,200 delegates voted for him "with no defections."

"My people put on a massive demonstration. It went on for 10 or 15 minutes," Hart said. "They felt very good about it afterward."

Hart thinks Clinton, a longtime party loyalist, will want to prevent protests and help Obama get elected.

"She has a future in the party," Hart said. "She has very little interest, nor does her husband, in wrecking Obama's chances because it will be held against them very, very strongly. She has a lot of reasons to pull an oar, and I think she will."

Since July, Obama staffers say they've reached out to Clinton delegates by phone and e-mail and have invited them to community events and local platform meetings.

Yet some delegates say the process has left them bruised.

Awilda Marquez, a Colorado delegate, said she feels like his campaign has been dismissive of Clinton supporters.

"They say they don't need us. . . . I don't spend 30 seconds a day thinking about that," Marquez said. "When I see a top woman being called a whore and a she-goat, . . . I can't forget that."
Link Posted: 8/8/2008 7:22:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Riots would make great news.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top