View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That looks terrible.  Its not difficult to miter cut and make it look good.  Shit it doesn't even take any longer.

I cut it rough and then use a small wood rasp or sanding drum chucked in a drill or dremel to cut to my line. It goes fast and I get very tight joints. Because corners are never square, you'll spend more time fussing with an inside miter than you will to just cope it.

Bingo.  

Just finished a room with a 7-piece crown.  The ceiling on most walls had a one inch rise in the middle and the walls all bowed into the room about 3/4 of an inch.

Miter that?   No.

Coping seemed to be a magical process.  It was easier for me to miter it.

My old man said I was retarded for inside mitering.  

Am I missing something here or was my old man right?

Your old man was spot on.

He normally is.  

Said it would've taken half as long.  He explained how to do it, but it didn't take.  May need a coloring book instruction guide.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 5:21:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Contractor is not a contractor and is clueless
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 5:22:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Old man was right. Outside corners get mitered. Squared off ends get mitered and folded back. Inside corners get coped. There's no magic once you learn to miter the end of the piece that you're planning to cope, then cut the cope right along the edge where the face transitions into the miter. Easy-peasy.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That looks terrible.  Its not difficult to miter cut and make it look good.  Shit it doesn't even take any longer.

I cut it rough and then use a small wood rasp or sanding drum chucked in a drill or dremel to cut to my line. It goes fast and I get very tight joints. Because corners are never square, you'll spend more time fussing with an inside miter than you will to just cope it.

Bingo.  

Just finished a room with a 7-piece crown.  The ceiling on most walls had a one inch rise in the middle and the walls all bowed into the room about 3/4 of an inch.

Miter that?   No.

Old man was right. Outside corners get mitered. Squared off ends get mitered and folded back. Inside corners get coped. There's no magic once you learn to miter the end of the piece that you're planning to cope, then cut the cope right along the edge where the face transitions into the miter. Easy-peasy.  

verbatim instructions from my dad.

I think you all are fucking with me.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 5:24:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That is called coping.  The first piece is cut square and the second is coped to fit.  What I see in your pictures is either not finished or just plain sucks.
View Quote

this

it's how you lay out coping, but the overlapping piece doesn't appear to be coped
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 5:29:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I can't tell from the picture whether that's a bad cope, not back cut, crappy molding, a screwed up corner, or some combination.  Whatever it is, it isn't right, but it'll caulk.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 5:30:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If we were all fucking with you, you wouldn't need to think about it. You would know it.

The one "trick" (if there is one) is to slightly back cut the coped piece to make the final trim & fit super easy.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 5:30:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have some crown going in and baseboard trim. The first 3 pics are of the crown. Do this look right? I thought they would go in at a 45 but it looks like one piece go square to the wall and the second is cut to fit the contour of the crown. This dosent seem correct but I am not an expert at this. The first pic is looking up from eye height. The second is shooting straight up at the joint from the floor direction.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj217/wolverine1856/Mobile%20Uploads/20150903_161733_zpsrnnwtlvs.jpg
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj217/wolverine1856/Mobile%20Uploads/20150903_161635_zpslp4yz89x.jpg
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj217/wolverine1856/Mobile%20Uploads/20150903_161643_zpsz3znqwii.jpg
View Quote

I fought the crown molding battle a few years ago and almost gave.  I ordered a gizmo called a cut-n-crown. It worked great.  I ended up doing my entire house. When I tried to cut on my own I ended up destroying a lot of molding.  They have a website. Look it up. It is the easiest way to get good tight cuts.  Trust me on this one. Don't try coping unless you know what you are doing
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 5:32:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I can't tell from the picture whether that's a bad cope, not back cut, crappy molding, a screwed up corner, or some combination.  Whatever it is, it isn't right, but it'll caulk.
View Quote

None of the above.

It's just laziness come to life in wood.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 5:44:09 PM EDT
[#9]
This type  of work depends on how much you get paid. If I were doing my own house it would be much tighter.

But a lot of work is "put" out to bid . The less the main contractor pays , the less quality work you will get.

If it is my house and im working the chop saw its gonna be tight...someone  making ten bucks and learning on the job will be  what was paid for.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 5:51:35 PM EDT
[#10]
The simple fact is that a cope is usually way better than an inside miter. Thing is, the carpenter has to give you a professional cope. OP, take a square, and put it in the corner, at crown molding height. I'll guarantee, your walls are not square to each other,( plasterers, ALWAYS build up the plaster in corners) therefore a cope (a good cope) is preferred.
  Otherwise, your carpenter will need to determine the actual angle, between the two walls, and adjust the saw to your out of square corner . This can sometimes take a couple, three tries, and if he's unlucky, and cuts it too short, you're on the hook for extra material, not to mention the extra time.
      A proper cope is cut with a coping saw, and sanded in with sandpaper. Then the meat on the back of the molding needs to be cut out. I have a wood grinding wheel for my angle grinder that does this beautifully. If I coped your crown molding, you'd decide to stain it, rather than painting it.
   If you want to tell your contractor whats wrong with it, tell him the cope isn't complete on the BACK of the crown, so the fit is bad, and the coped piece is projected OUT from the square piece.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 5:53:50 PM EDT
[#11]
your carpenter doesn't seem to be able to cope.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 5:55:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo.  

Miter that?   No.

perfect instructions, right there.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 5:58:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
that's why they make caulk in 55 gallon drums
View Quote

Added something.  OP that looks like crappy workmanship.  I wouldn't pay for that to be done in my house.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:02:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

None of the above.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

None of the above.

Well, it has to be something wrong to look like that.   What?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:04:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

None of the above.

Looks to me like he coped the profile on the face, but didn't remove enough in the back.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:05:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Dude cut it short and tried to hide it. If the cope doesn't line up you tap the top sides so they move down the wall or bottom sides to move the top towards the center of the room.

Putty will hide it but I would make him re-do it.

Or (can't tell how tall the crown is) he used the wrong angle/bevel to cut the 45 laying down (which you sometimes have to do when the crown is taller than half the saw blade.)

Make sure (if it is too tall to cut standing upside down) they are using the correct angle/bevel for the degree crown used.) 38* 45*
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:07:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

None of the above.

Poorly executed.

I can make inside corners tight as a duck's butt with miters if that's what a contractor insists on. The material looks ok and I'd be embarrassed to caulk that.

I'm amazed when I set up on a big trim job and start coping and guys ask me what I'm doing?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:09:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If we were all fucking with you, you wouldn't need to think about it. You would know it.  

The one "trick" (if there is one) is to slightly back cut the coped piece to make the final trim & fit super easy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My coped contours just didn't quite match the contours on the other piece.  I gave up on it.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:10:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
that's why they make caulk
View Quote

no it's not
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:11:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Op, it's just not done well.  If you are painting, it'll be fine.  

I work for a general contractor and we do very high end residential.  I would not be happy with that cope.

My trim carpenter is a magician with wood, he taught me the right way to do it, but I still can't do it like he can.  I hate to cope but it's is the correct way to do it because no inside corner is ever square.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:12:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Your contractor needs this.
View Quote

Or a pencil and a tape measure...

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:14:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Coping vs Miter jont, there is no wrong or right. If you know how to use a saw, you can get perfect joints regardless of the walls/ceilings. If you know how to cope, you can get just as good of joints as a miter. It's what is faster/easier for you, nothing else. Personally, I'm way faster with a saw, but plenty of my installers cope joints. It's just 2 different ways to get wood to join, both work and each person has their favorite way to do it.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:15:30 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Looks to me like he coped the profile on the face, but didn't remove enough in the back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

None of the above.

I don't think it's coped at all. If there was any cope, the end of the right side piece would have SOME high points projecting into the valleys on the left-hand piece. There are none. I think he just cut a compound miter (crown angle to the ceiling and away from the end), and slapped it up there.

No matter how you pronounce it, caulk is not the answer.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:15:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Miter cut is actually faster b/c when you cope it you are generally doing it by hand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Miter cut is actually faster b/c when you cope it you are generally doing it by hand.

Not true.

It's about the same, since only half of your crown pieces need to be coped.

And I cope base with my chop saw. It's super fast. I know we are talking about crown, but thought I'd throw that out there.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:19:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Old saying is "caulk and paint make a carpenter what he aint", if I
showed those pictures to my trim carpenter buddy, his head would explode.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:20:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:22:08 PM EDT
[#27]
We are really comparing Bushmaster to Daniel Defense AR rifles...you get what you pay for.

We all can back cut the molding at 47 deg. and cope and sand the crap out of it and it will at some point be perfect.

It is how much time you are willing to put on the miter...Have done both.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:22:09 PM EDT
[#28]
That is absolute crap - your average home improvement weekend warrior can do a better job than that. I think that your contractor is playing fast and loose with the term "carpenter" as no-one who actually fits that description would/should charge for work like that. Maybe a day laborer with delusions of grandeur and $5 stack of internet business cards?

Have it redone properly if he wants a penny or fire him and hire a professional. If he is cutting corners on this, what else is screwed up?

Sorry OP, but that is piss poor workmanship and there is no excuse for it when money is changing hands.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:22:24 PM EDT
[#29]
OP

I think it is accepted that that is a bad job by someone that you a paying to do the work. A contractor should know better.

Hell the crown molding my brother and I looked much better than that after some trial and error (mostly by him) to get it right.

I would ask him to redo it because the cracks will show after time.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:23:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Not true.

And I cope base with my chop saw. It's super fast. I know we are talking about crown, but thought I'd throw that out there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not true.

I can cope princeton and casing with my saw but how do you cope this with a chop saw?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:23:31 PM EDT
[#31]
"My coped contours just didn't quite match the contours on the other piece.  I gave up on it."

The key is having a few small half-round and round fine rasps. I have about 4 that I use to rasp the back edge. Works like a charm.

I also saw a guy use a pneumatic 1" belt sander that he plugged into his compressor.... He would quickly belt sand a bevel on the back edge. Fucking tits.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:30:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I can cope princeton and casing with my saw but how do you cope this with a chop saw?
http://s7d4.scene7.com/is/image/LumberLiquidators/10000462_rs?$373x273$
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not true.

Cut the 45 as if you are mitering the corner...

Flip the board upside down and cut straight down 90 degrees to the first groove that separates the flat bottom section from the bottom of the cap radius.

Turn the board perpendicular to the saw blade and carefully follow the contour of the top profile and nibble away the remaining back of the miter.

Rasp the back edge of the top profile as needed.

Difficult to explain but it's cool as shit. I've been doing it for a few years now. Several guys that are far more experienced than me have never seen it done before. Makes some crazy tight corners... A friend taught me how to do it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:39:43 PM EDT
[#33]
First thing I asked was painted or stain...no matter which it should have been treated before nailed to the wall...stain or caulk and paint.

If the homeowner had arrived a hour after the painter , no problem.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:43:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Flip the board upside down and cut straight down 90 degrees to the first groove that separates the flat bottom section from the bottom of the cap radius.

Turn the board perpendicular to the saw blade and carefully follow the contour of the top profile and nibble away the remaining back of the miter.

Difficult to explain but it's cool as shit. I've been doing it for a few years now. Several guys that are far more experienced than me have never seen it done before. Makes some crazy tight corners... A friend taught me how to do it.
View Quote

Damn, sounds dangerous and difficult on long pieces but that's what I imagined you were going to say.(would be the only way)
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:47:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Damn, sounds dangerous and difficult on long pieces but that's what I imagined you were going to say.(would be the only way)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can be. You need a sharp, fresh blade and be aware of your angle towards the blade. It takes some practice and the shorter pieces are certainly easier to do.

I don't always do it but I do for short pieces when I'm in a hurry.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:47:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

It almost looks like the molding wasn't rolled the same way from one wall to the next.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

None of the above.

It almost looks like the molding wasn't rolled the same way from one wall to the next.

I must have had a stroke in my sleep last night.  I haven't understood one fucking thing I've read here all day.  Are you saying the profile on the two pieces of molding isn't the same, i.e., crappy materials?  Or that the two pieces weren't positioned at the same spring angle between the wall and ceiling, i.e., crappy installation?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:48:47 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Dude cut it short and tried to hide it. If the cope doesn't line up you tap the top sides so they move down the wall or bottom sides to move the top towards the center of the room.

Or (can't tell how tall the crown is) he used the wrong angle/bevel to cut the 45 laying down (which you sometimes have to do when the crown is taller than half the saw blade.)

Make sure (if it is too tall to cut standing upside down) they are using the correct angle/bevel for the degree crown used.) 38* 45*

http://www.lowes.com/projects/images/how-tos/Building-Supplies/Cutting-Crown-Moulding-Chart.jpg
View Quote

^^This guy has the answer.  Not all crown is 45 degree-  in fact, most is 38/52 degree.  You always cut crown on the flat, upside down using a miter saw. Use the table in the chart above for the angle corner you are trying to cut.  Hand coping is faggotry.  All you need is math and a brain.  I can't believe no one pointed this out.

That is a shitty corner and even if you use caulk to hide it it will still look like shit.  

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:56:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I must have had a stroke in my sleep last night.  I haven't understood one fucking thing I've read here all day.  Are you saying the profile on the two pieces of molding isn't the same, i.e., crappy materials?  Or that the two pieces weren't positioned at the same spring angle between the wall and ceiling, i.e., crappy installation?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

None of the above.

I'd guess he didn't cut them at the same spring angle and didn't take off enough material on the back bevel when he "kinda coped" it. lol
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:56:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Ok Jane. You nail one piece of curvy trim on the wall and you take a similar piece and kinda make it "spoon" up to the first one. It takes some time and practice to make them blend to the perfect corner and look seamless.

Some can do it but it take some time....Others are paid to run though a room in a few minutes.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:58:58 PM EDT
[#40]
I was going to put in my own crown molding until I read this thread.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:00:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

^^This guy has the answer.  Not all crown is 45 degree-  in fact, most is 38/52 degree.  You always cut crown on the flat, upside down using a miter saw. Use the table in the chart above for the angle corner you are trying to cut.  Hand coping is faggotry.  All you need is math and a brain.  I can't believe no one pointed this out.

That is a shitty corner and even if you use caulk to hide it it will still look like shit.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.lowes.com/projects/images/how-tos/Building-Supplies/Cutting-Crown-Moulding-Chart.jpg

You can absolutely cut it nested, and I prefer to do it that way.  Personal preference, though.  

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:01:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not true.

Just get a Collins coping foot and save the hassle and danger.  Same result.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:03:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

^^This guy has the answer.  Not all crown is 45 degree-  in fact, most is 38/52 degree.  You always cut crown on the flat, upside down using a miter saw. Use the table in the chart above for the angle corner you are trying to cut.  Hand coping is faggotry. All you need is math and a brain.  I can't believe no one pointed this out.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^^This guy has the answer.  Not all crown is 45 degree-  in fact, most is 38/52 degree.  You always cut crown on the flat, upside down using a miter saw. Use the table in the chart above for the angle corner you are trying to cut.  Hand coping is faggotry. All you need is math and a brain.  I can't believe no one pointed this out.

LOL!

WUT?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:03:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Not true.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not true.

how do you cope with a chop saw?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:04:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

None of the above.

One or a combination of the above.  

Looks to me like it's a bad coping job on a board that had too much of the lower flat nipped off.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:04:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Ok Jane. You nail one piece of curvy trim on the wall and you take a similar piece and kinda make it "spoon" up to the first one. It takes some time and practice to make them blend to the perfect corner and look seamless.

Some can do it but it take some time....Others are paid to run though a room in a few minutes.
View Quote

I know how to run crown.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:06:19 PM EDT
[#47]
"Just get a Collins coping foot and save the hassle and danger.  Same result."

Aight. I'll check it out.

But you know how the top of your ladder says "Don't stand here!"

I'm the guy that does it anyway.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:06:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Two things.

1.) Ditch the coping saw and use a right angle grinder with a sanding wheel and a steady but light touch.

2.) You need to back cut it so that only the leading edge is touching the other piece. If you square cut it the back part can get in the way and cause gaps.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:08:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Two things.

1.) Ditch the coping saw and use a right angle grinder with a sanding wheel and a steady but light touch.

2.) You need to back cut it so that only the leading edge is touching the other piece. If you square cut it the back part can get in the way and cause gaps.
View Quote

You learn the value of back cutting really quickly when you cope 135 degree corners.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:10:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not true.

Carefully...
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top