BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:34:06 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Sorry, I missed this part:

Unfortunately, I also believe all that's going to do is get the general population even MORE upset at the gay community. I'm already pretty frustrated at the fact that I can't even THINK about critizing the lifestyle without being automatically labelled a homophobe or a bigot, but should gay marriage be approved I will be FORCED to accept the gay lifestyle as a legal equivalent to my own marriage, regardless of my opinion. That's the equivalent of being FORCED to a Christian worship service if you're a Muslim. I have a problem with being FORCED to accept anything.

Okay. Let's play the analogy game. Let's even use YOUR analogy. What denying me the "right" to marry is like, is like OUTLAWING all OTHER religions OTHER than the Muslim religion. SO, IF I want to worship, the ONLY way I may worship as a Christian would be to do so is illegally, (in private) as a Christian, OR to go to a Mosque, and "fake it".... and HOW does MY being Christian violate YOUR rights as a Muslim (again, I'm guessing). AND what YOU are saying is like someone in the aformentioned situation saying:"But should Christian worship be approved I will be FORCED to accept the Christian worship as a legal equivalent to my own worship, regardless of my opinion."

Does THAT seem "right" to you?

Your extension of the analogy doesn't work.

You still have the opportunity to take advantage of marriage--you simply choose not to take it.  In your analogy, the option has been removed from you.....in reality, it's more like you going into a restaurant, and deciding there's nothing there you want to eat.  The right to marry is still there, just not on any terms you want.  Now, get the voters to agree to pass a law that allows gay marriage, and options that fit your lifestyle will then be available.

As for me, though, when an activist judge twists the law to fit his version of "right," without allowing the voters to decide, that IS forcing me, as a member of society, to recognize gay marriage as equal to my own, WITHOUT HAVING A SAY.  If a referendum comes up, and I vote against it, but it still passes, I've had an opportunity to get my voice heard.

Activist judges are no different than a BATFE that suddenly decides on a "sporting purpose" test.  Suddenly, without any input from the public they are supposed to serve, the have changed the fabric of society.  And I find that wrong.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top