BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:32:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:37:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd steal a car and do the trip in a couple of days.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:38:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'd steal a car and do the trip in a couple of days.

If you're going to steal a car then you might as well steal a bag of meth too and do the trip in an afternoon.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:39:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll have to mug some people with the dull knife to get some gas money too. Maybe get a shower and some food at a rural truckstop.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:39:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes but the real question is could I do so without breaking the law along the way.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:43:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Closing time at fast food joints yields a bounty of leftover food.

Yup tons of food gets tossed. Ask nicely and they may give you a sack full of goodies just for the asking.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:46:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Why the hell am i in New York City, and more importantly.....why the fuck am i going to L.A.? Sounds more like i should slit my own throat with that dull knife.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:46:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I did a LOT of climbing trips back in 2006-2008 that lasted more than a week or two, and we camped out illegally and fed ourselves entirely from Trader Joe's dumpsters.

Hey, they throw out food on the expiration date whether its spoiled or not
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:46:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
2 words:   Sperm donation

Do you know the requirments to be a donor ? Its pretty selective

Shiftless drifters are not something well to do single women pay good money to get filled up with.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:47:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
1. Go to the YMCA and take a shower.
2. Go to a library and go to craigslist. Look through the "free" section for nearby neighborhoods for stuff of non-zero value and go pick it up. Take it to pawn/thrift shops and collect some dollars. Repeat for a while.
3. Go back to the library and go back to craigslist. Click the "rideshare" link. Find people going where you're going or at least in the general direction. Offer to drive and pay for however much gas you feel like.
4. If you run out of money or don't make it to where you're going, repeat 1-3 as necessary.
5. You have arrived at your destination.

No CoC violations necessary, all thanks to some fat smelly hippie who started a message board.

Fail.

Library requires ID for internet use.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:53:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Yeah, Ok so I smell and look like crap.  Great I'll get in a lake or river and get myself cleaned up.  Sharpen knife and hunt.  Jump a train Id give it from NY to LA 10 days tops.

Okay I decided to go with him, so now I'm in LA too.  That was easy  

Id love to have a penguin along for company...you know Id have to throw you up on a box car though....being that you have no oppose able digits  I promise i'll try and get you belly first as that is your main way of landing.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:54:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Stupid scenario.  No skills? Everyone has some skills. The art of BS is one.   I could make it in 4 days max, with time out to go to the Grand Canyon.

I had a crappy car, but I did it in 4 days in 1987 on $250 and I stopped at the Grand Canyon. If I had to acquire the crappy car, I'd have to obtain another $1,000. It would be more like $600 plus the car now.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:01:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stupid scenario.  No skills? Everyone has some skills. The art of BS is one.   I could make it in 4 days max, with time out to go to the Grand Canyon.

I had a crappy car, but I did it in 4 days in 1987 on $250 and I stopped at the Grand Canyon. If I had to acquire the crappy car, I'd have to obtain another $1,000. It would be more like $600 plus the car now.

are you not breaking the law by driving without a license/ID?

stupid scenario, I know.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:13:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
At 8:00 am tomorrow you have to travel on foot from New York City to LA, through gang infested cities, upscale suburbs, forests and barren fields. Its spring. America is running smoothly (no war), but you have no identification, no money, no job skills to allow you to work, no food, no guns, no family and no friends. You have the clothes on your back, a rolled up blanket and a dull knife you found in an alley. You stink and no one will give you a ride. Essentially you're traveling like John Rambo but without any of his skills; always hungry and trying to stay clear of the police. The trip could take several months and starvation is real. Could you make it from coast to coast? How would you find food? Would you steal?

As long as you're making shit up, why not put me in a wheelchair too?

maybe missing all but one finger on each hand

It's 8:00 am tomorrow. You're in a wheelchair. Your wife has been kidnapped and Jack Bauer has cut off all but one finger on each of your hands. You have to travel in the wheelchair from New York City to LA, through gang infested cities, upscale suburbs, forests and barren fields. Its spring. America is running smoothly (no war), but you have no identification, no money, no job skills to allow you to work, no food, no guns, no family and no friends. You have the clothes on your back, a rolled up blanket and a dull knife you found in an alley. You stink and no one will give you a ride. Essentially you're traveling like John Rambo, but in a wheelchair; always hungry and trying to stay clear of the police. The trip could take several months and starvation is real. Could you make it from coast to coast? How would you find food? Would you steal?

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:13:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

2 words:   Sperm donation

Do you know the requirments to be a donor ? Its pretty selective

Not if you do it at the bathhouse.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:14:54 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd carve a hole in the time space continuum with my rusty knife while simultaneously fighting off 3 gang city's with my strong over powering man musk.

Then I'd apply for food stamps and buy a big screen TV.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:17:21 PM EDT
[#17]
At that point, it's beg or steal.  I'd beg first, but I'd steal before I died.

ETA - dumpster diving is technically stealing, and would be to place to start.  Grocery store dumpsters are routinely full of perfectly edible food.  Apartment complex dumpsters could be a source of items with some value - dumpster dive then hold an impromptu yard sale to make a few bucks.

The traveling would be the hard part.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:51:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
2. Go to a library and go to craigslist. Look through the "free" section for nearby neighborhoods for stuff of non-zero value and go pick it up. Take it to pawn/thrift shops and collect some dollars. Repeat for a while.
3. Go back to the library and go back to craigslist. Click the "rideshare" link. Find people going where you're going or at least in the general direction. Offer to drive and pay for however much gas you feel like.
4. If you run out of money or don't make it to where you're going, repeat 1-3 as necessary.

No CoC violations necessary, all thanks to some fat smelly hippie who started a message board.

Fail.

Really? I've never had to present ID.

Ok then, go to a cyber cafe. Or dig around in the trash until you find a computer - pretty frequently. Then proceed as above.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:06:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fail.

Ok then, go to a cyber cafe. Or dig around in the trash until you find a computer - pretty frequently. Then proceed as above.

Apple Store

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:19:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fail.

Apple Store

Now here's a man who can display some fuckin adaptability!
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 7:26:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fail.

All the ones I have been to do. They log who was on which computer when. I figured it was to keep folks from using them for CP or other illegal activities.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 7:37:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
At 8:00 am tomorrow you have to travel on foot from New York City to LA, through gang infested cities, upscale suburbs, forests and barren fields. Its spring. America is running smoothly (no war), but you have no identification, no money, no job skills to allow you to work, no food, no guns, no family and no friends. You have the clothes on your back, a rolled up blanket and a dull knife you found in an alley. You stink and no one will give you a ride. Essentially you're traveling like John Rambo but without any of his skills; always hungry and trying to stay clear of the police. The trip could take several months and starvation is real. Could you make it from coast to coast? How would you find food? Would you steal?

Yes, I would be able to survive with nothing but the clothes on my back... I would be able to do it without resorting to theft or any other illegal/immoral actions. It wouldn't be pleasant, but it is possible.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 7:41:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I would be able to survive with nothing but the clothes on my back... I would be able to do it without resorting to theft or any other illegal/immoral actions. It wouldn't be pleasant, but it is possible.

I believe I could as well, however this scenario (minus the trip to LA thing) is how many a criminal is born because most people lack critical thinking / problem solving skills.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 7:47:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe I could as well, however this scenario (minus the trip to LA thing) is how many a criminal is born because most people lack critical thinking / problem solving skills.

Those who are lazy or have a weak moral compass are the ones who would instantly resort to crime during tough times... It seems that we have quite a few here on AR15.com. These are the same type of people that you will have to protect yourself from during SHTF (riots, natural disasters, terror attacks, etc.).

The scenario that the OP has created is not realistic. Everybody has the ability to find work/jobs if they really want to...
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 7:54:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
am I allowed to prostitute myself?

Only for bus fair, but then you still have to walk
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 7:56:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
am I allowed to prostitute myself?

Only if you're female and can suck the chrome off a trailer hitch.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 8:00:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Scenario Fail.  Our economy recovered in Summer of 2009.  This couldn't happen in a country saved by Obama.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 8:01:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Apply for food stamps...

Duh! This guy nailed it. Just combine the above described circumstances with a complete lack of initiative and motivation (and perhaps a crack habbit and an illegitimate kid or two) or .gov will give you all the food, transportation, shelter, and healthcare you could possibly need. The worst thing you could possibly do in this situation is make any real attempt to raise YOURSELF out of said circumstances. Uncle Sam wouldn't see fit to help you then.

nailed it
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 8:04:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Easy, I'd become a Democrat, find the nearest community organizer and ride free.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 8:35:09 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Closing time at fast food joints yields a bounty of leftover food.

Yup tons of food gets tossed. Ask nicely and they may give you a sack full of goodies just for the asking.

my friend used to do this all the time in the late 90s.

in one year he spent about $100 in food.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top