Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 10:19:13 PM EDT
[#1]
When I took my CCL license course I was using a S&W mod 39,I shot best of all the men!

The 40ish Emmie Lou Harris looking horse ranch owner didn't have her own gun,so she rented a ruger twenty two which was too hard for her to load with her nails!

So she got a block(glock)nine mil,having never fired one put in the best score of all shooters!

Of course I learned a valuable lesson ,don't have black front and rear sights and shoot at a black target!   I now have white out on front and rear sights!

So yes by her own actions I think that a glock and woman have something in common(like a 1911 and a man ).    But like Betty-boop says if you can handle it a .45 acp is the way to go!

Bob  [:D]
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 4:16:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I would recommend a hammerless .38 special.  I have my wife carry one just for the fact that all she has to do is pull the trigger.  Remember, if you carry a semi-auto and get into the wrong situation and have to perform immediate action, you'd better be really proficient.  Like less than 2 seconds proficient!  I personally carry a .45 but that's personal preference.  I am not saying anything to diss semi-autos but for a young lady carrying a weapon for protection,  take out as many chances for error on the guns part.  KISS, keep it simple stupid.  Being a high speed low drag individual can get you hurt.  I don't like seeing ladys hurt.  Just my opinion.  Jon
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 6:06:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Howdy Kara,I would like to suggest going to an IDPA MATCH. The people at IDPA matchs are some of the friendliest and most helpful people around. You will see people shooting a large variety of handguns and most of them would be more than willing to let you try out as many guns as you desire. IDPA will also help you learn and acquire the skills needed to defend yourself with a handgun. The Houston area IDPA crew are a great bunch I have shot with them on a few different occassions. If you ever find yourself in the central Texas area and would like to go shooting look me up. I am including a link to the IDPA club locator just click on the state to find a local club. Good luck and good shooting!![url]http://idpa.com/clubs/CLUBLIST.HTM[/url]
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 6:12:54 AM EDT
[#4]
KAREBEAR,

I think you've got a good list there.  I'm sure many of the Houston area guys would let you try out their peices...  ;)

I'm in Austin, and I'd let you try a couple of mine.  As for the 1911 kicking bad, it's really not that bad.  If you were to find one in 9mm (Springfield makes one), it would be even more pleasant.  Given a common caliber, the smaller the gun, the harder it will kick.  My little .380 kicks MUCH harder than my big .45.

Also, a little 9mm doesn't have the fecalation factor of a nice stainless .45!

If you came to Austin, you'd be free to check either out.  :)

Link Posted: 12/10/2002 6:16:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I wanted to add a couple of thoughts. Hi-Powers are a great gun for people with small hands. I have helped several lady friends pick handguns and the Hi-Powers combination of slim grips and single action trigger make it very easy to shoot.
I have found that alot of women who are willing to try a fullsize 1911 .45 are surprised at just how manageable the recoil is.
I recently purchased an XD40 and have been EXTREMELY pleased with the ergonomics and its accuracy......points very well for me. Again good luck!
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 6:22:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=158542[/url]

I introduced myself in this thread and it has pictures of me... I swear I'm not a secret FBI agent or ATF or a Guy....either. lol
View Quote

[Harry Caray]Hoooooooly Cooooooow![/HC]

Q(I'm feeling lightheaded)S

Link Posted: 12/10/2002 6:33:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:I went from a Sig 232 .380 (I did not like it at all) to a glock 26 9 mm with corbon ammo(you can abuse it and it will still fire).
View Quote

What didn't you like about the Sig 232?  I'm just curious, because I bought my wife one and I can't stand it.
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 6:54:20 AM EDT
[#8]
I need something to say other than, damn!
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 7:16:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Limp wristing a Glock will put casing straight into your forehead.  I did the same thing when I first got one.  
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 11:45:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Well, I hope you are real.  I'm going shooting on the 22nd with a female friend and her boyfriend so if you wanna meet us there let me know.  
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 11:47:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Kara:

Texastactical has a point about IDPA.  I've been involved with an IDPA club where I live for about 2 years now and have to say that I have learned much about handgun handling and safety.  All that and had great times with good solid people.  If you can find a local club and shoot IDPA I believe you will learn a lot.

I own a Browning Hi-Power myself that has been my primary handgun until recently when I bought a USP Compact 9mm.  Either handgun is a great choice for a 9mm, but I agree with others that you need to try out as many handguns as you can before making your choice.

Good luck and safe shooting!
-BD-
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 11:54:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 12:39:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I am single, sensitive, and a generous giving person. I have a taurus model 85T in .38. I believe in long term trusting relationships. Besides working on my 10/22, I also enjoy cooking, reading and preparing for TEOTWAWKI.
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 12:52:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I am in Houston.  I've got 4 of the guns you mentioned and a few more I think may even be better for you.  You might even consider a shotgun for your home defense.  I won't be able to go shooting til next weekend.

You wouldn't want to see the Rockets tonight would you?  Offer open for any Houston ARfcom'ers.  I have two extras.  Let me know.
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 2:09:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What model Glock was it that was throwing the brass back at you? I'm left handed and have fired thousands of rounds out of my Glocks and have never had that happen. Glocks are actully fairly left hander friendly with the lack of an external saftey.
View Quote

Yup...  What he said.

Link Posted: 12/11/2002 10:10:48 PM EDT
[#16]
I just wanted to let all you nice guys who responded to my post know that I really appreciate your help.  I think I have a lot of opinions and facts to help with my selections of guns and also a few sources around town who will let me shoot with them.  Thank you so much! Ya'll were great.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 10:29:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I just wanted to let all you nice guys who responded to my post know that I really appreciate your help.  I think I have a lot of opinions and facts to help with my selections of guns and also a few sources around town who will let me shoot with them.  Thank you so much! Ya'll were great.
View Quote

You are welcome.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 10:57:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Kara,

Nice to see you are still giving this purchase great thought and care. You are using your head. Most any of the guns mentioned will do the job if you do yours. Just practice, practice....and yep, you guessed it....practice some more.

Also, let me make some ammo suggestions. Once you get your pistol, whatever it might be, make sure you keep it loaded with a good quality defense hollowpoint round. Hardnose FMJ bullets are ok for practice, but you want a bullet that expands when it comes to protecting yourself. In 9mm, the Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P is hard to beat. In .40 S&W, the various Gold Dot loads again look good....I choose the 180 gr variety myself, but the lighter ones kick less. And in .45 ACP, I again like the 230 gr Gold Dot as well as 230 Gr Remington Golden Saber. And should you go with a .357 Magnum, the Federal Classic 125 gr JHP is one of the top rounds. And finally for the .38 Special, the tried and true 158 gr lead semi-wad cutter hollowpoints +P loads continue to perform well....especially from short barrel revolvers. All of the above loads do pretty well in gel and have a proven stopping record on the streets as well.

So once again, practice with what you get, shoot good ammunition and keep the weapon maintained. Do all 3 of those things and you will be as well equipped and prepared as any of us. Again good luck in your search for a weapon. Let us know what you choose. And when you need accessories such as holsters and ammo, come back and we'll tell you where to find it cheap!

---Charging Handle

[Why is it that all of Kara's posts go to 3 pages?] LOL!
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 11:30:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think the better question is why are we up at 2:30 in the morning?
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 11:35:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

LMAO! Yes, that's a good one too. You probably just got done with 2nd shift and me.....well, I am just a night owl anyway! Truthfully, I took one of those long evening naps after work and have just awakened!
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 11:50:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Oh, and I almost forgot....be sure to check out the General Firearms Discussion forums for great info. You can get all your technical knowledge in there. Also the Handguns forum has some very helpful and knowledgeable folks. And for ammunition info, check out the ammo section within the AR15 forum. Can't go wrong with any of those forums.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 11:58:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

LMAO! Yes, that's a good one too. You probably just got done with 2nd shift and me.....well, I am just a night owl anyway! Truthfully, I took one of those long evening naps after work and have just awakened!
View Quote

Well, I work night shift actually but my regular days off are tue and wed so even when I'm off I tend to stay up late.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 6:13:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Duh!  Cause she's hotter than an MG42 at Knob Creek and she LIKES GUNS!

Link Posted: 12/12/2002 6:23:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Hello xxKAREBEARxx I am one of the staff here, (the only female staff) I have had my CCL for 5 years now and have had three different handguns to carry.

Like men, guns come in all different sizes. [I had to do that. sorry] I went from a Sig 232 .380 (I did not like it at all) to a glock 26 9 mm with corbon ammo(you can abuse it and it will still fire). And now I carry the Kimber ultra CDP 45 with corbon ammo.(It has been great to have but hard to conceal)
View Quote

KelleyR,
Why carry a toy when you can carry the big boy!
You are a woman after my own heart!(Sorry DonR I had to throw that in!)
I carry a Kimber Pro CDP with Cor-Bon's!
My wife carries a Kel-Tec P32.
Hopefully KareBear can find the assistance she needs from a fellow AR15.com'er!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 6:49:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Kara,

If you are looking for a home defense tool then something in the shotgun variety would be a very good choice.

If you are comfortable and proficient with a revolver or automatic then by all means go that route.

Of course judging by that group with the rifle a lever action Marlin .357 magnum would be a good choice.
Or an AR15 with a 16" barrel would work also![:D]

Some people like automatics in there vehicles and some like to work the shifter. It is all about your preferences!

Welcome aboard! [newbie]

If you need any further help do not hesitate to let me know.

My wife carries a Kel-Tec P32 and she also has a S&W 3913LS Lady Smith 9mm Auto. It is a very well built and fun to shoot Automatic. It is smaller than most because it is built for smaller hands.

BigDozer66
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top