Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 10:31:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Improper lane discipline would have to be punishable by death in order for it to even have a chance of working.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 10:31:20 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have driven on the Autobahn(s) on three different trips to Germany.  Including earlier this year from Weisbaden to the Swiss border.

-No junker cars on the autobahn

-disciplined drivers (for the most part, but there are plenty of Jackasses on the autobahn too)

-No trucks in the fast lane.

-It is very fast in places, but Germany has a high population density and there are plenty of slowdowns.

-bottom line is a culture change is necessary for it to work well.  One we probably dont want.

-I also drove on the Italian Autostrade and the drivers are worse than American drivers in general and more agressive.  Speed limits are posted on the autostrade, but are ignored for the most part.  We did alot of driving at 85+mph in Italy and it was probably equivalent of Americans driving 85 on our typical US interstate (if not a little more dangerous).

+1

I have a place in Italy, and use the Autostrada to get out of town.  Other than the few long straights, I can honestly say I don't know how anyone takes a "supercar" at speed through some of the turns.  The expansion joints are like small jumps, that at 130mph+, would probably cause you to crash.  We were doing 100+ the whole trip and I had some hairy moments.

To the OP, people in this country would have to learn to drive in the right lane, and only pass in the left.  Also, when you see flashing high beams from a mile out, move the fuck over.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 10:32:33 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have driven on the Autobahn(s) on three different trips to Germany.  Including earlier this year from Weisbaden to the Swiss border.

-disciplined drivers (for the most part, but there are plenty of Jackasses on the autobahn too)

-It is very fast in places, but Germany has a high population density and there are plenty of slowdowns.

-bottom line is a culture change is necessary for it to work well.  One we probably dont want.

-I also drove on the Italian Autostrade and the drivers are worse than American drivers in general and more agressive.  Speed limits are posted on the autostrade, but are ignored for the most part.  We did alot of driving at 85+mph in Italy and it was probably equivalent of Americans driving 85 on our typical US interstate (if not a little more dangerous).

+1

I have a place in Italy, and use the Autostrada to get out of town.  Other than the few long straights, I can honestly say I don't know how anyone takes a "supercar" at speed through some of the turns.  The expansion joints are like small jumps, that at 130mph+, would probably cause you to crash.  We were doing 100+ the whole trip and I had some hairy moments.

To the OP, people in this country would have to learn to drive in the right lane, and only pass in the left.  Also, when you see flashing high beams from a mile out, move the fuck over.

And if they don't move over, they get punched in the mouth, right?
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 10:32:39 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
No fucking way.

Too many Nascar fans.

cache.viewimages.com/xc/72304953.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193875DCB1DD8387ABB1049DA0C08411E63A40A659CEC4C8CB6

Funny thing about that. This one year Talladega was rained out on Sunday so they ran the race on Monday. That meant I got stuck in the traffic on 65 when I was hauling a load of auto parts from the plant here up to Michigan.

Maybe stuck isn’t the right word cause we were moving at a pretty good pace. The slower traffic (campers and such) was keeping right like it’s supposed to. The faster traffic in the left lane was giving room every time I (or anyone else) needed to get left to pass a camper. And everyone was drafting of course. But everyone appeared to be paying attention and not jamming on their brakes. Driving in all that traffic was stressful, but I’ve never seen a road that heavily loaded run that smoothly.

Maybe I lucked out. Maybe the dedicated fans are just better drivers than the show up on Sunday and get good and drunk crowd. I don’t know.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 10:33:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Already got 'em in Texas...

Interstate 10, near Ozona, TX
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 10:34:47 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
No
the construction and maintenance budget would be too high
the vehicle requirements too great

+1

The Germans are taxed over 50%.

Statistically, most Americans pay close to that.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 10:35:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Wouldn't work here.

Link Posted: 12/18/2007 10:36:35 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Its been said before, but as long as people remain willfully ignorant of signs like this:

www.qp.gov.bc.ca/statreg/reg/M/MotorVehicle/26_58/KeepRightExPass.gif

Then there exists no way that ANYONE can drive on a road that fast in america with any degree of relative safety.

Fuckin right on, spending 1 hour on a 2 lane road only to see that brief 1 mile stretch of road with the "Passing Lane Ahead, Slower traffic keep right" and when you finally get there the fucking SLOW car holding up everyone behind him fuckin stays in the left lane.

People have their head so far up their asses or will deliberately do things to make themselves a hinderance to others.    The best are the ones who soak up the #1 lane, then when you finally get sick of it and goto pass on the right, they speed up either trying to waste your attempt at a pass or it's the preemptive move towards a road rage incident.

This country is in desperate need of revoking a lot of people's licenses.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 10:37:56 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

img227.imageshack.us/img227/7821/80mphnc7.jpg

"Because everybody drving on the same road, at the same time, at the same speed...well, that just wouldn't make sense. I'm surprised they let them go the same direction, how about you?"
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 10:38:02 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

img227.imageshack.us/img227/7821/80mphnc7.jpg

I've never seen signs like that before... Must be a Texas thing.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 10:38:27 AM EDT
[#11]
The interstate was based off of the Autobahn. Eisenhower implemented it after WWII after surveying their highway system.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 10:41:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Before we get too caried away with all the speed limit following left lane hogs and all that, I need to post a reminder:

Distance = Rate x Time.

Before you get in too much of a hurry and decide that the slowpoke in front of you is actually costing you an appreciable amount of time, work out the actual numbers.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 10:41:08 AM EDT
[#13]
The only way it would work is if the licensing requirements were made a lot stricter, or a special license were needed for it.  People with any infraction within the prior five years, illegal immigrants, and drivers under 21 years of age would not be eligible.

TUV inspections for vehicles would also be a good idea.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 10:42:09 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

No, I'd pull them over and tell them to "DON'T DO THAT"T.M., and proceed to tell them how their parents raised a selfish brat.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 10:47:05 AM EDT
[#15]
No, German vehicle standards are very high (unlike here, where any rust-bucket can get on the road), driving standards are higher, licensing is stricter, more taxations for it (not only gas, but MILEAGE!) and driving culture is much more serious. People on the Autobahn are there to drive, not yack on the cellphone and sip coffee. They drive objectively.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 10:56:25 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
+1

So now he's a retired black-belt biker with a vacation home in Italy.  We are definitely going to have to keep track of this guy's bio.

Link Posted: 12/18/2007 10:58:46 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Before we get too caried away with all the speed limit following left lane hogs and all that, I need to post a reminder:

Distance = Rate x Time.

Before you get in too much of a hurry and decide that the slowpoke in front of you is actually costing you an appreciable amount of time, work out the actual numbers.

Understood, in fact I regularly calculate my estimated time of arrival when I'm driving some place on the highway just to keep my mind active and have something to think about.   With everything based on 60mph and doing a mile a minute it's pretty easy to figure estimates based on if you are going faster or slower than that with remaining miles in the trip.

I don't think that 70-75mph on a 4 lane highway is too much to ask for provided conditions allow for it.    And there MOST CERTAINLY are times that just because the local highways say 70mph I'm going 5-10mph or more below the speed limit, I5 corridor through Kern Co and our fog and you'd see why.

I drive the speed not because a 10-15mph difference is going to save me maybe 10-20minutes on my driving time but because that is a good speed for my vehicle and where it cruises nicely if conditions/traffic are able to permit such speeds.   It also seems to be the rough average of where everybody else is when they ignore the speed limits on the highway and go with the flow of traffic.    Speed limit 55 areas, people seem to be doing 65-70, speed limit 65-70 areas and you still find people in that zone but maybe they do slightly more at 65-75mph with the occasional guy going 80 because he figures if he goes 10-15mph over the 55mph posted limit he'll do the same 10-15mph over the 70mph posted limit.

The real question is whether or not our speed limits still have more to do with fuel ecconomy and keeping a national consumption down by artificial means(which nobody seems to care based on how they drive) or whether it's intention is other means, such as a revenue source in combination with a issue of public safety.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 11:00:31 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
+1

So now he's a retired black-belt biker with a vacation home in Italy.  We are definitely going to have to keep track of this guy's bio.

Yes, I have a home in Italy.  I inherited it from my father, who inherited it from his mother.

Jealousy is a bitch, isn't it?
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 11:05:17 AM EDT
[#19]
If you mean limitless speed, restrictions are becoming more common - mostly in urban areas. So even in Germany, where traffic is less dense, theres tacit admission that congestion requires limits. Cant see US driver obeying the Rechtsfahrgebot w/o the death penalty or something more drastic. We'd definately need to get more serious about driving - as the Germans do (some of which would be seen a pretty draconian).

Beyond that, in the deserted, wide open spaces of the west, it could work...and already does.

Luck
Alac
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 11:07:21 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
If you mean limitless speed, restrictions are becoming more common - mostly in urban areas. So even in Germany, where traffic is less dense, theres tacit admission that congestion requires limits. Cant see US driver obeying the Rechtsfahrgebot w/o the death penalty or something more drastic.

Beyond that, in the deserted, wide open spaces of the west, it could work...and already does.

Luck
Alac

At least not near Eastern Utah.  There always seems to be a State Trooper waiting on the most deserted stretch of straight road possible.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 11:08:06 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
The real question is whether or not our speed limits still have more to do with fuel ecconomy and keeping a national consumption down by artificial means(which nobody seems to care based on how they drive) or whether it's intention is other means, such as a revenue source in combination with a issue of public safety.

It's a bunch of reasons, and in my opinion - most of them are bullshit. The limits are too low in much of the country. But arguing the line, is like starting a thread asking if .08 is too low. Lots of emotion, not a lot of thinking. Some folks want to be free to drive like jackasses, and other folks are convinced there will be chaos (because everybody's a bad driver, except for him) if the limit is raised 5mph, or whatever.

I only pointed out the D=RT thing, because once I sat own and figured it out, I stopped getting upset when I couldn't drive 75 in a 65, because of a left lane hog. Now, I just chill. None of it matters. I don't get upset when driving anymore, unless I'm stuck in traffic. And then, I'm not upset at other drivers, as much as I'm upset at the situation.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 11:09:08 AM EDT
[#22]
You obviously have never driven in San Antonio, Texas. Go drive Loop 410 and you will realize that it would be a very bad idea.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 11:10:44 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Distance = Rate x Time.

The problem is you poking along because you have a short trip screws up my long distance high speed commuting plans.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 11:12:40 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Distance = Rate x Time.

The problem is you poking along because you have a short trip screws up my long distance high speed commuting plans.

Hope it's more than 300 miles or so, or you're REALLY hauling serious ass.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 11:19:47 AM EDT
[#25]
I already see it in Colorado. Very high speeds on the plains & even on busy highways during the weekend. The principle is they can't arrest everyone, plus speed traps on th ehighway disrupt traffic & cause accidents.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 11:24:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Wouldn't work here as Germans are super people with skills and reaction times far above Americans. Also germans don't have access to cell phones and alcohol, and they drive big cars like MB, BMW and VW that are not available here.....

Damn people, listen to yourselves!! Where was the carnage in MT when they had no limit???

Half of the arguments put forward so far are the same ones the Europeans apply to guns and America...
Need more licensing
The people are stupid
People can't be trusted
People WILL do stupid things with guns.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 11:32:37 AM EDT
[#27]
No.  Too many bluehairs and soccer moms impeding the flow of traffic by parking their fat asses in the passing lane.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 12:26:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Ha! everyone always thinks THEY are the best driver, and everyone else is an idiot. I'd LOOOOVE to get in front of you in the left lane and watch you wildly flash your lights while I poke along in my old beater pickup. Then I'd laugh as you pass on the right and flip me off.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 12:41:21 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Wouldn't work here as Germans are super people with skills and reaction times far above Americans. Also germans don't have access to cell phones and alcohol, and they drive big cars like MB, BMW and VW that are not available here.....

Damn people, listen to yourselves!! Where was the carnage in MT when they had no limit???

Half of the arguments put forward so far are the same ones the Europeans apply to guns and America...
Need more licensing
The people are stupid
People can't be trusted
People WILL do stupid things with guns.

+1, I don't care what kind of car you drive, what condition it's in, what your skills are nor do I care aobut how fast you want to drive... STAY OUT OF THE LEFT LANE UNLESS PASSING and we should all be fine.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 12:43:35 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Ha! everyone always thinks THEY are the best driver, and everyone else is an idiot. I'd LOOOOVE to get in front of you in the left lane and watch you wildly flash your lights while I poke along in my old beater pickup. Then I'd laugh as you pass on the right and flip me off.

Why would deliberatly breaking the law and driving like an ass be entertaining?  Unless that's why all the other morons in the left lane do it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 12:44:59 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
i thought they had something like this out west somewhere. but they where forced to put in speed limits? i heard that somewhere

Montana, and they would have lost highway funds if they didn't impose limits first, and then their supreme court decided that the "reasonable and proper" limit couldn't be determined to be resonable so tickets couldn't be issued at all, and the Montana Leg pussed out and imposed a limit.

Here in Texas, we are up to 80 in some places and have a Department of Transportation that has argued that speed limits are pretty much useless in rural areas.  Slowly, we are getting there.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 1:06:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 1:08:11 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Hope that was all in jest, if not it's precisely the reason why it would NEVER work here in the US.

People who go out of their way to purposely piss off others.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 1:10:17 PM EDT
[#34]
No most US drivers SUCK ASS bigtime ...except ARFCOMMERS that is
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 1:17:27 PM EDT
[#35]
I was only half-joking. But really, if you think I am going to hurry up and get out of the way of some dickweed in his German*fricking*automobile,just because he thinks he can flash his lights at me, and make me move,you are sooooo wrong.I think you would find out that most of the driving public would feel exactly the same way.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 1:25:06 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I was only half-joking. But really, if you think I am going to hurry up and get out of the way of some dickweed in his German*fricking*automobile,just because he thinks he can flash his lights at me, and make me move,you are sooooo wrong.I think you would find out that most of the driving public would feel exactly the same way.

And that's why it wouldn't work here.  Over there, flashing your brights is a polite reminder to move your ass out of the left lane.  Here, people get self-righteous about any "assault on their manhood."  Why not just get over?
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 1:28:55 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Only if licensing and vehicle inspection requirements were increased.

+1 Getting a license in Germany is a lot harder than it is here
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 1:29:13 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why would deliberatly breaking the law and driving like an ass be entertaining?  Unless that's why all the other morons in the left lane do it.

Why ask why? He's a prime example why the autobahn wouldn't work in the US.

Mark this day down, we agree on something.

That's exactly why it would never work, a simple lack of consideration for others.  Rather than just get the fuck out of the way, they gotta prove something.  Well, what they are proving may not be what they think they are proving.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 1:30:43 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
No
the construction and maintenance budget would be too high
the vehicle requirements too great

+1

The Germans are taxed over 50%.

Bingo.

Higher design speeds mean more money spent on infastructure. (larger curve radii, more superelevation, higher pavement condition requirements).  

As for those who say everyone needs to drive in the right lane: yes this works at low vehicle densities, but as more and more cars get on the road...both lanes must be used.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 1:31:43 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i thought they had something like this out west somewhere. but they where forced to put in speed limits? i heard that somewhere

Montana, and they would have lost highway funds if they didn't impose limits first, and then their supreme court decided that the "reasonable and proper" limit couldn't be determined to be resonable so tickets couldn't be issued at all, and the Montana Leg pussed out and imposed a limit.

Here in Texas, we are up to 80 in some places and have a Department of Transportation that has argued that speed limits are pretty much useless in rural areas.  Slowly, we are getting there.

I love the signs on the interstates in Texas........."Left lane if for passing only".  Seems pretty clear, no vagueness like the "slower traffic keep right" signs.  However, and it ain't  just the locals, those signs just seem to get completely ignored.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 1:36:10 PM EDT
[#41]
No. There are douchnozzles who still wait until the very last fucking second to merge when their lane is ending and feel that they are the sole arbiters of safe velocities.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 1:38:25 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

In Germany, making an insulting gesture to another driver is a $500 ticket.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 1:41:13 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In Germany, making an insulting gesture to another driver is a $500 ticket.

Excellent idea. Those "Hang up and drive" bumper stickers are pretentious, and piss me off more than the finger. I'd love to cite the shitstains that put these on their hybrids.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 1:43:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Yeah? well, it's a big country. I'm imagining a conversation like this:

Dickweed: Hello,911? there's this old rusty truck thingy in front of me,and he won't get over for my S-series MB. Please come and arrest him!

Cop: Oh yeah, we'll get right on that. *click* (goes back to eating his donut)
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 1:46:00 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And that's why it wouldn't work here.  Over there, flashing your brights is a polite reminder to move your ass out of the left lane.  Here, people get self-righteous about any "assault on their manhood."  Why not just get over?

The problem is, I drive the perfect speed, so when the car in front of me is going 1 mph slower than I, I change lanes to pass.  Within a few seconds someone who is going 20MPH+ my speed is crawling all over my ass.  Screw it, they obviously drive too fast and dangerous so I could care less if they have to wait 20 seconds while I get around the vehicles in front of me.  And god forbid I have to pass multiple vehicles... i may be in the lane for a minute or so.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 1:48:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Yeah, in that situation, it may take me five miles to pass Dusty in his truck
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 1:57:21 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Distance = Rate x Time.

For long distance trips average speed matters a whole lot.

Short trips not so much.

The USA would benifit more from an "autobhan" system more than Germany because we are bigger.

The insurance lobby is why we will never see it.

Big insurance is another one of the big threats to personal liberty.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 2:08:55 PM EDT
[#48]
American drivers are too selfish.

There'd be too many crybabies screaming to their legislators after getting ticketed for hogging the right lane.

Whatever money was lost on speeding tickets could be made up in inspection fees and any number of non speed related traffic citations.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 2:13:24 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I already see it in Colorado. Very high speeds on the plains & even on busy highways during the weekend. The principle is they can't arrest everyone, plus speed traps on th ehighway disrupt traffic & cause accidents.

+1 I was heading home from Boulder and I was in the middle of a ~10 car line doing 80 in a 55 zone.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 2:29:44 PM EDT
[#50]
It COULD work if everyone would learn to use their mirrors and turn signals. And if the womenfolk would quit trying to put on their fucking make-up while driving. God that pisses me off. See it at least 3 times a week....
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top