Link Posted: 10/13/2002 2:56:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Civilians run this country.

We have oversite privileges over the

- government,
- military, and
- law enforcement.

You are the ones who have to explain yourselves to us. Civilian Review Boards, though often perverted by people with grudges, are to oversee your actions.

I like you, but try not to act like I don't have the right to ask questions.
View Quote

How does one get on a civilian review board?
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 2:57:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Let me start by saying those guys working the freeways have great big balls of polished brass.

I'm sure the son-of-a-bitch-backshooter has a real hard on for drilling one of these guys.

They are walking targets, they know it, and they are out there anyway. My hat's off.

That said, I don't like the militarization of the police either. SWAT was a good idea thirty years ago but it has gone entirely too far.

I see no reason to outfit civilian peace officers for combat. We have an Army for that.

Letting cops act like soldiers led to the Ruby Ridge assassinations and the mass murder in Waco Texas.

It's time to reign in these cowboys and reacquaint them with the difference between civilian peace officers and military service members.
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 3:00:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for digging that up Garand_Shooter.  This will help me win an argument at work!

Link Posted: 10/13/2002 3:01:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
(ii) engaged in professions, trades, employment or other activities and wearing protective masks which are deemednecessary for the physical safety of the wearer or other persons
View Quote

If an undercover gang or narcortics officers identity is revealed on TV and in the newspapers it would jepordize his "physical safety". Therefore they are exempt as stated in the statue.

Prosecuter: "Officer, why were you wearing a mask on Thursday?"

Cop: "So I wouldnt be murdered by the criminal street gang I have infiltrated when I returned to my regular assignment on Friday."

Judge: "Case dismissed!"
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 3:08:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Civilian Review Boards, though often perverted by people with grudges, are to oversee your actions.
View Quote

How does one get on a civilian review board?
View Quote

Don't know. I imagine most places don't have or need one.

I typed in 'civilian review board' on google and found a bunch of links.

Did find that it's a regular job in NYC. They even have jobs listed on their site. [url]http://www.nyc.gov/html/ccrb/html/jobs.html[/url]

The Mayor of Boston appoints theirs, so it might be more political than necessary. [url]http://www.ci.baltimore.md.us/government/crb/index.html[/url]
The Mayor of Baltimore, with the approval of the City Council, appoints members for three year terms. Terms are staggered with three members rotating off each year; members cannot serve for more than two full successive terms.

So I guess serving on a CRB depends on where you live.
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 3:09:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 3:11:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey guys, here's a related thread that you might want to post on:

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=148244[/url]

Law enforcement officials in Maryland are waiting for a consensus to be reached here on AR15.com so they'll know what to do next!

And will you tell them HOW to catch this guy ALREADY!?

Chris
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 3:17:48 PM EDT
[#8]
[b]Quoted:
you guys can sit at home inside your houses and throw rocks at the very people that patrol and stand watch to keep a little bit of peice and safety to your community as best they can with whatever they can and then they have to hear this crap spew out of your sewers...either join in the fun and help out or Shut your pie hole and leave us be......[/b]

What ?? did you just watch "A Few Good Men" last night and re-work Jack Nicholsons final speach ??
ROTFLMAO !! "grab a weapon and stand a post"

Look mr. bitter, holier than thou officer, I have no problem with LEO's using a ski mask to protect themselves when outside in the harsh elements for an extended period of time. But when you guys dress up in your ninja gear and try to play soldier, thats when I care.
Get over yourself and go write a ticket, I'm sure you'll feel better.

Link Posted: 10/13/2002 3:26:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

A very "liberal" view of the law..... so under the same arguement could a wintess, DA, judge or jury member wear a mask when a gang or mafia member is on trial and they fear retribution?

View Quote

YES, masks are worn by witnesses in federal court on many occasions.

The "at fear" Judges, USAs, and Jurors, get 24hr protection when needed.
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 3:35:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
take care of your selves..oh yeah that would work...may then I could find real work and not have to babysit you crybabies...I know this job isnt for you ..you dont have the stones...
View Quote

(again).

Paperwork isn't that frightening, in fact if you keep up on it you can get most of it done.

Of course your strutting and preening time might intefere with your paperwork time, but that is only a guess.

Link Posted: 10/13/2002 3:37:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Garand
It is not that I have to resort to name calling to get any point accross ..it just really upsets me that in a time when this Nation is being attacked by unknow enemies we are also attacking each other.Why must a topic that has such little bearing on your day to day life mean that much to you and then for you (in general  not personal) feel that LEO are there to intimidate and scare the public. I have been at this for about 8 years now and it is a stressful job..not a real job just stressful..You should know if your wife is s dispatcher..Yeah I choose this career and dont think I would want to do anything else.But I just get upset when people armchair quarterback and think they have all the answers...If I got a little defensive and insulted anybody here then I do appologize for  my statements..After all it is the First Amendement right...freedom of speach..I will try and keep my comments more civil...forgive..
View Quote

You seem to forget *your* place, you also seem to forget that *we* do have all the answers.

Sheesh, it is hard to find good public servants these days.
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 3:40:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
(ii) engaged in professions, trades, employment or other activities and wearing protective masks which are deemednecessary for the physical safety of the wearer or other persons
View Quote

If an undercover gang or narcortics officers identity is revealed on TV and in the newspapers it would jepordize his "physical safety". Therefore they are exempt as stated in the statue.

Cop: "So I wouldnt be murdered by the criminal street gang I have infiltrated when I returned to my regular assignment on Friday."

View Quote

Seems the same could be said for the prosecutors, judges and witnesses, no?

If they don't want to be treated like thugs, they ought not act like them.  Simple as that.
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 3:53:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Seems the same could be said for the prosecutors, judges and witnesses, no?

View Quote

Not really, becuase the judge & prosecutors work in a controlled enviroment. The crooks are brought to them. As opposed to the undercover officer who interacts with the crooks in their enviroment.

Link Posted: 10/13/2002 4:05:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 4:44:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I get pissed off every time I see "RESTRICTED FOR GOVERNMENT OR LAW ENFORCEMENT USE ONLY".

View Quote

I fairly well established in a recent thread that it is technically LEGAL to own a rifle with the gov't/LEO only marking on it, so long as the rifle is legally configured as post ban.  By the letter of the law (18 USC 922 and 921) and the parallel CFR laws,  there is no written restriction against a civilian owning an item that has this marking.   Specifically, it's not the MARKING that's illegal to own, but it's often found on items which are not legal to own for other reasons.  

Technically, you could have an FFL holder order a lower receiver for you with the LEO/gov's only marking on it.  He can't buy an LEO only rifle (That is, configured as pre-ban but it's made since September 13, 1994) for the purpose of parting it out,  but he can buy an LEO marked
receiver for sale to anybody who can legally buy an AR.

I'm not sure it'd be a wise move, but legally it's possible.

CJ

Link Posted: 10/13/2002 4:45:38 PM EDT
[#16]
howbout new 30 round mags and m16s?
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 4:53:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 5:18:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 5:59:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 6:37:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Those cops on the side of the road in VA that were wearing masks.... have committed a class 6 felony.
View Quote

Law enforcement officers in the commision of their duties are exempt from some laws... ie - when the cop has to speed to catch a speeding vehicle, when an undercover cop buys drugs and is in possession of drugs during a drug buy, etc. etc. etc.  I would asume that if the cops wearing the masks usually work plain clothes or undercover, they would not want to chance parading their faces all over T.V. or local news papers.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 6:56:25 PM EDT
[#21]
If I were sitting in traffic, minding my own business and someone wearing a mask and carrying a mp5 approached my vehicle there would be a very good chance of a firefight.
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 7:03:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If I were sitting in traffic, minding my own business and someone wearing a mask and carrying a mp5 approached my vehicle there would be a very good chance of a firefight.
View Quote

Sure there would.

You guys need to go back and look at the pictures.  Again, I can see both sides of the argument, but statements like this are ridiculous considering that there are many marked cars with lights flashing and many uniformed officers around.  Any one with any common sense could figure it out.

Whether you will let the cops search your car or not is up to you, but statements about firefights, etc, blah, blah, blah, are assinine.
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 7:21:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Sure there would.

You guys need to go back and look at the pictures.  Again, I can see both sides of the argument, but statements like this are ridiculous considering that there are many marked cars with lights flashing and many uniformed officers around.  Any one with any common sense could figure it out.

Whether you will let the cops search your car or not is up to you, but statements about firefights, etc, blah, blah, blah, are assinine.
View Quote
Did I say anything about marked police cars? Statements like this are assinine!! Hell their assiTEN!!!
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 7:32:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Throughout history masks have been used by people to hide their faces when they perform evil, unpleasant or criminal acts.
executioners
bandits and burglers
secret police
KKK
terrorists
etc....etc....
People associate masks with evil so why do the leo's think they will get a favorable response when they show up looking like one of the group mentioned above ??
Masks are used to intimidate people and make them afraid. When someone is afraid they are more likely to comply with the orders given by the masked thugs and thats just the response LEO's want.
View Quote

You forgot Ninja. Ninja are totally sweet.....

[url]http://www.realultimatepower.net[/url]

Scott

Link Posted: 10/13/2002 7:32:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Sure there would.

View Quote
Did I say anything about marked police cars? Statements like this are assinine!! Hell their assiTEN!!!
View Quote

It doesn't matter whether YOU said anything about marked cars.  The entire thread is about the roadblocks on I-95 on Friday and that some of the cops were wearing belaclavas.  That is what the thread is about and that situation had many marked cars and uniformed officers around.  That is what the thread is about.
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 7:36:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Holy crap! To hell with the masks...those guys were carrying real guns. I feel intimidated! Such audacity, those guys should be fired and we should hire civilian wanna-be's to patrol the gas stations and search for the violent suspects.  I'll feel much better then.
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 7:41:10 PM EDT
[#27]
here is the only comment I have that sees a negative in this practice of wearing a POLICE T-shirt and a hood. The next time there is a shooting, are [b]ANY[/b] of the LEOs going to even think about stopping someone in a hood, wearing a POLICE T-shirt? The sniper is surely watching the news. He/she/they get off on the attention that is being drawn......

Scott

Link Posted: 10/13/2002 7:46:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Good point Scott, the whole outfit including badge can be purchased for under fifty bucks!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top