BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:51:10 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes but I will never share photographs of the room.  The ones I have taken on a USB drive and locked in a safe deposit box at the bank.

My only mistake when build the lower room was not thinking about storing 12.5k round drums in there.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I forgot add that if you do a vault room pay close attention to the ventilation and look into fire dampers.

Coolest gun room pictures I have ever seen.

My gun room isn't solid concrete. The area below it is. The room I've posted pictures of in the past is a hybrid of construction materials that were fireproof, bulletproof, and tamper proof. I picked these materials because I could build with them myself and not worry about people seeing what I as building. My vault which is under my guy room is where I store ammo fort and other expensive items I own, it can also serve as a storm shelter and safe room.

Your gun room is baller.

WAIT...YOU HAVE MORE STUFF DOWNSTAIRS???????

Yes but I will never share photographs of the room.  The ones I have taken on a USB drive and locked in a safe deposit box at the bank.

My only mistake when build the lower room was not thinking about storing 12.5k round drums in there.

Every time you share something awesome... You then one up yourself and share something even more awesome
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:51:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I forgot add that if you do a vault room pay close attention to the ventilation and look into fire dampers.

Coolest gun room pictures I have ever seen.

My gun room isn't solid concrete. The area below it is. The room I've posted pictures of in the past is a hybrid of construction materials that were fireproof, bulletproof, and tamper proof. I picked these materials because I could build with them myself and not worry about people seeing what I as building. My vault which is under my guy room is where I store ammo fort and other expensive items I own, it can also serve as a storm shelter and safe room.

Your gun room is baller.

WAIT...YOU HAVE MORE STUFF DOWNSTAIRS???????

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:55:54 AM EDT
[#3]
This will be my next project. I am a GC already so finding plans would be my biggest challenge. I am in need of a new central heating and air already and was thinking would it not be wise to have a vent and return run to the safe? I was planning a poured concrete room and ceiling with both a vent and return. I figured I could grid the rebar where the voids would be. Has anyone done somethjng like that? Is that a bad idea? What humidity controls are recommended?
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:58:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I did a 14x12 room.

The roof takes a lot of engineering, and the whole mess will be expensive.  

The span of your roof, as you have it listed, will add significant expense.  If you can bring one of those dimensions down it will help a lot.  Everything, from the roof, walls, down to the footer will have extra reinforcement in it, and the footer will be huge.  My footer on a section of the walls on that room was over 4' wide.  (Foundation designed by an engineer for the exact construction and soils).

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:00:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I actually dont run a dehumidifier in mine yet. The house is built out of ICF. So it is incredibly well insulated as well as air tight. Sealing the concrete with a waterproofer before sheet rock has all but eliminated humidity in my case. If it becomes an issue I have it wired for one.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:33:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Mine has a dehumidifier that pumps outside the room. I like this better than having a drain in the room.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:16:20 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Is this is just sitting in the entry way couldnt you just run a recip saw all around it and push the door/frame in? Or is it recessed over the block? How does this work?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Is this is just sitting in the entry way couldnt you just run a recip saw all around it and push the door/frame in? Or is it recessed over the block? How does this work?

There are things you do to prevent that from happening.  I've also done work to "hide" the door so you can't easily find it.  Sorry can't post a picture of this so you'll have to use your imagination.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:42:51 AM EDT
[#9]
I have done some vault design for some projects that I worked on.

If this is residential, will it serve as a storm shelter or have another function?
Will this be located in a basement?
Do you want a concrete lid?

The biggest thing is to get the conditioning of the space right.
You need to plan for some air movement.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:56:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Bump for more stories and info
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:43:23 PM EDT
[#11]
We plan to build one when we build our next home. It is wonderful to see and read so many examples in one place.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:47:17 PM EDT
[#12]
A friend of mine did a walk in vault with prestressed concrete walls and roof with a vault door . The slab are designed for vault use and are double rebar and a very strong concrete mixture
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 5:29:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:38:55 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Wow super cool!  Is that a concrete ceiling as well?  What are the rough dimensions of the room?  It looks pretty spacious!

View All Quotes

Yep - 4" concrete and then brick over that.  The room is 10.5' x 28'.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:40:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:46:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Tag
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:09:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Haven't done one but have thought about it a lot.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 1:57:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Anyone add a toilet? ??

Would be one of my first thoughts, with a small sink and a mini fridge. It would be my perfect getaway spot. Keep in mind this area wouldn't be limited to guns and ammo. My RC room also. A nice relaxing place to store and work on my planes and helicopters.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top