Link Posted: 8/11/2011 1:39:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 3:32:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
I do wonder if a semi could be made to run like a diesel electric train.   Use a smaller diesel and generator in the place of the engine and transmission... then a couple beefy electric motors driving the rear wheels - plenty of space for them there.  Combine with some manner of storage so they can capture regenerative energy...

Heck, getting a semi that gets 6-7mpg up to 9-10 would be a HUGE improvement.

What is the improvement of a hybrid's highway mileage over city?  Zero?  There is your sign.  Yes, it would make sense for in-town transport and such systems are being researched.

What's the improvement of a diesel electric train over a straight diesel train?

Torque. Trains need it to get those heavy static loads rolling. Electric motors provide insane torque.

Trucks do not have the same needs.

Wikipedia is like, three clicks away.

TR85.

Sry, is there really a wikipedia page about trains versus semis?  

I'm well aware electric motors make massive torque, and do it from 0RPM.  You should find some of my posts relating to electric cars and hybrids.  I'm not uninformed in this area.

I'm talking about fuel efficiency.  Not being a mechanical engineer, and also not being a dumbass, I would surmise that straight diesel engines in a locomotive couldn't be geared to get proper torque at low speeds, thus the diesel electric system's advantage is that it allows the diesel generators to run at a constant speed while electrical current is throttled to control torque.  

That's probably reason enough to use a diesel electric system in a train, but I had always had the impression that it was more fuel efficient as well.  I could be wrong on that.  

and again, if there's a Wikipedia page comparing the relative fuel efficiency of both systems across both applications, I'd love to see it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 3:54:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 4:27:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I do wonder if a semi could be made to run like a diesel electric train.   Use a smaller diesel and generator in the place of the engine and transmission... then a couple beefy electric motors driving the rear wheels - plenty of space for them there.  Combine with some manner of storage so they can capture regenerative energy...

The weight of all that would cut into payload....not to mention this setup would be VERY expensive.

That doesn't stop the Greenies - the comment I heard on NPR was that the rules don't go far enough because they don't require hybrids.  Apparently being a hybrid is the magic formula that will save the polar bears.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 4:31:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I do wonder if a semi could be made to run like a diesel electric train. Use a smaller diesel and generator in the place of the engine and transmission... then a couple beefy electric motors driving the rear wheels - plenty of space for them there. Combine with some manner of storage so they can capture regenerative energy...

You do understand that with semi's it's not about mpg's but ton/miles per gallon of fuel, right?

If these jokers in .gov were serious about improving commercial truck fuel efficiency, they'd loosen both GVW and OAL restrictions.

FYI - the most fuel efficient tractor-trailer combos in the world are the Australian truck-trains.

Yes, but if the government made sense they would measure pollution for cars in terms of miles driven.  Instead they use mass of pollutants per mass of fuel consumed.  This causes bizzarre consequences when more fuel efficient engines are banned because they can't get that last bit of NOx out of their exhaust (Ref 96-97 VW TDI engines)
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 4:41:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

*Sigh*

Look, the vast majority of fuel use by a train is going to be getting that load rolling. The nature of rail makes it such that, once you get it rolling, it takes very little to keep it rolling. Just get it up to speed and it'll keep going like a fat kid on a waterslide. The only exception is mountain inclines but, hey, those always suck. Basically, in order for a train to operate in a fuel efficient manner overall, it only really needs to be efficient at initially getting the load going. In fact, without the torque electric motors provide, it would be nearly impossible to get a modern cargo train moving. Hence the diesel-electric setup is best.

Trucks, by contrast, are more challenged by the need for power to keep their loads going, for various reasons. And they need that power over a wide range of speeds/inertia loads. Trucks don't have anything close to the problem trains do in getting a load moving to start with... It's keeping it moving that consumes a shitload of fuel.

Due to the excess weight the system would add, and the fact that the insane low RPM torque just isn't needed, a diesel electric truck would be less efficient for long haul trucking versus a traditional diesel-transmission-wheel linkage.

Just the way it is. The nature of the roles are different between trains, warships and semi-trucks. It's like asking why pistols don't use rotating locking bolts with gas operated cams, which are far stronger... It's because it just doesn't fit the role intended and constraints of the platform.

TR85.

Sorry to have wasted your time by making you explain things I already understand.   (inertia, torque, mass, etc etc)   Obviously I won't bug you to get into specifics about available torque over broader speeds that semis encounter that trains do not, because of course trains just get up to speed and don't stop or slow down for thousands of miles.   Or whether or not given a particular load at a particular speed if a diesel electric system can provide the torque needed with lower fuel consumption than a straight diesel system.    

*sigh*
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 4:50:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 4:54:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Diesel electric is expensive, but can be more efficient.

It's a good upgrade for tracks and armored vehicles...
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 5:00:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Didn't we just have a thread started by someone who thought he was the first person to ever think of a diesel electric car/truck?

I can't wait to see how the testing is done, every truck is different and will need to be tested. Wait till people have to pay for that.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 5:04:39 AM EDT
[#10]
This might be the final nail in the coffin for America's loggers.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 5:05:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Why do you say that?
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 5:06:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

*Sigh*

Look, the vast majority of fuel use by a train is going to be getting that load rolling. The nature of rail makes it such that, once you get it rolling, it takes very little to keep it rolling. Just get it up to speed and it'll keep going like a fat kid on a waterslide. The only exception is mountain inclines but, hey, those always suck. Basically, in order for a train to operate in a fuel efficient manner overall, it only really needs to be efficient at initially getting the load going. In fact, without the torque electric motors provide, it would be nearly impossible to get a modern cargo train moving. Hence the diesel-electric setup is best.

Trucks, by contrast, are more challenged by the need for power to keep their loads going, for various reasons. And they need that power over a wide range of speeds/inertia loads. Trucks don't have anything close to the problem trains do in getting a load moving to start with... It's keeping it moving that consumes a shitload of fuel.

Due to the excess weight the system would add, and the fact that the insane low RPM torque just isn't needed, a diesel electric truck would be less efficient for long haul trucking versus a traditional diesel-transmission-wheel linkage.

Just the way it is. The nature of the roles are different between trains, warships and semi-trucks. It's like asking why pistols don't use rotating locking bolts with gas operated cams, which are far stronger... It's because it just doesn't fit the role intended and constraints of the platform.

TR85.

Sorry to have wasted your time by making you explain things I already understand.   (inertia, torque, mass, etc etc)   Obviously I won't bug you to get into specifics about available torque over broader speeds that semis encounter that trains do not, because of course trains just get up to speed and don't stop or slow down for thousands of miles.   Or whether or not given a particular load at a particular speed if a diesel electric system can provide the torque needed with lower fuel consumption than a straight diesel system.    

*sigh*

It comes down to diesel electric drive-trains being shitloads heavier and more expensive, with no real benefit in this application.

But you already knew that...

What answer are you looking for, exactly?

TR85.

Do you think the engines, generators and motors would be the same size if the system were used in a semi?

First off, they could use much smaller motors for traction, since the vehicle and load are both much smaller.  The generators could be much smaller, too, considering the size and weight of the vehicle and it's load would be lighter.  

I'd bet a diesel electric system conversion in a semi wouldn't come out to more than maybe a couple hundred pounds heavier than the diesel drivetrain that's in there now.  

It's about scale, dude.  The system would be scaled.  If scaled appropriately, I want to know if a diesel electric setup in a semi would be more fuel efficient than a straight diesel setup.

You don't seem to know, so you're not answering anything.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 5:08:06 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why do you say that?

What do you think?  They won't be able to afford the higher costs associated with these new regulations.

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 5:10:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Why do you say that?

What do you think?  They won't be able to afford the higher costs associated with these new regulations.

How much higher will those costs be?  I'm curious.  The industry is claiming $1,000/vehicle for a one ton, with $7,200 in life cycle savings.  Thats about $500/yr.  Which means the difference will pay for itself in two years (leaving aside finance costs).

So it is a cash flow issue.

Correct?
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 5:18:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Why do you say that?

How much higher will those costs be?  I'm curious.  The industry is claiming $1,000/vehicle for a one ton, with $7,200 in life cycle savings.  Thats about $500/yr.  Which means the difference will pay for itself in two years (leaving aside finance costs).

Correct?

That number is complete bullshit thrown out to give the press something to write.

We don't even know how they plan to do the test, it might be a computer simulation for big trucks, and dyno test for little ones.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 5:18:56 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why do you say that?

Correct?

Those numbers are wrong.  They will be considerably higher, plus cost of upkeep.  This is a regulation that is not needed and will put more people out of work.

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 5:25:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Lots of people saying what it is... I'm inclined to take my info from industry rather than a poster on a forum.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 5:32:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Lots of people saying what it is... I'm inclined to take my info from industry rather than a poster on a forum.

Ask yourself this, if they can increase fuel efficiency 20%  for only 1k per vehicle, why the fuck don't they do it? Customers would easily pay the extra money, they are already paying a lot more than that for electric and hydraulic hybrids.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 5:34:51 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ask yourself this, if they can increase fuel efficiency 20%  for only 1k per vehicle, why the fuck don't they do it? Customers would easily pay the extra money, they are already paying a lot more than that for electric and hydraulic hybrids.

Yup

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 6:52:54 AM EDT
[#20]
In 1998, Ford asked their suppliers for ideas on ways to drop weight.  They received 200 submissions at an average cost of 50 cents per pound and implemented none of them. Their margins are razor thin and they weren't willing to risk it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 6:56:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You want me to tell you why American automobile manufacturers are dumbasses?
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 7:00:47 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

In 1998, Ford asked their suppliers for ideas on ways to drop weight.  They received 200 submissions at an average cost of 50 cents per pound and implemented none of them. Their margins are razor thin and they weren't willing to risk it.

No shit?  That's what we call a clue.

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 7:10:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The truck industry is a lot different from the car industry.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 8:41:04 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And your experiences in the US automotive engineering field is?  

Ever hear of gasoline direct injection engines?  They have been slow to reach the market in the US, mostly due to the EPA.  

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 9:28:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It's about scale, dude.  The system would be scaled.  If scaled appropriately, I want to know if a diesel electric setup in a semi would be more fuel efficient than a straight diesel setup.

You don't seem to know, so you're not answering anything.

Ok, I'll answer.

No.

Geared drivetrains are very efficient in transmitting power at the flywheel to power at the wheels - in excess of 90%.  Replacing the transmission and differential with a generator and motors, while it allows for the engine to run at a constant rpm where it has it's highest BSFC, gives it back up in converting mechanical energy to electricity and then back again.  A straight electromotive transmission in an OTR truck would not be markedly more efficient than a mechanical transmission system.

So, why are they used in locomotives?  Guess what - it's NOT because they are more efficient than other systems.  When diesel-electric engines were first introduced, they were used almost exclusively for yard jockeys and low speed operations, because they were LESS fuel efficient than steam engines.  The reason the railroads pushed into long haul diesels was because they required less maintenance and fewer personnel to run.  They were willing to take the hit in fuel to reduce personnel - given the strength of the RR unions you can see why.  Another reason for using electromotive transmission instead of mechanical is the torque multiplication levels in a train are orders of magnitude higher than in an OTR application.  The gearbox alone would be a monstrosity.  

Wait, you say - what about braking?  Locomotives use the motors as generators and dissipate the train's kinetic energy as heat.  Sure - but why do this on a truck?  It adds fans and resistor banks (there goes your comparable size) and trucks typically don't brake for the distances trains use.  What about regenerative braking?  That's where the "big" efficiency gains in hybrid drives come from, at least using Toyota's system.  But it comes at a cost - batteries.  Which means weight.  Implementing regenerative braking in an OTR truck blows the size/weight budget right out of the water.  Now the system is a LOT bigger and heavier than a conventional transmission.  Is that an overall problem?  Maybe not.  But it's no longer as simple a matter as you propose.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 9:40:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Great points on diesel-electric locomotives.  Another benefit to diesel-electric locomotives is slip detection/prevention  D-E have nearly infinite torque multiplication ratios, even an automatic transmission with torque converter would probably slip wheels at shift points.  

Now if they could make a CVT for a diesel locomotive, it might work.  But seeing how automotive CVTs are either for very small engines or are horribly unreliable, D-E will continue to be used.  Not even a dual sequential gearbox would work in a locomotive.  

Finally, D-E provides weight which is tractive effort.  Weight isn't needed in a semi-tractor trailer rig.  Part of the load (which is why they are called semis) provides weight which provides traction.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 12:05:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Why do you say that?

Correct?

bahahahaahahahahaha
there's NO FUCKING WAY

Just moving to the 2010 emissions regulations changed engine prices by over 10,000 dollars (that's right, 10 grand more) on big motors and over 2 grand on little trucks (3/4T, 1T) and reliability and miles went down
so now, wave your magic wand and increase mileage by 30% and it only costs $1000????????   GTFOH
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top