Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:28:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Old video. What always bothered me is all you keep hearing is "Capitan, Capitan" from the guys with rifles. Less asking, more shooting. They just sort of sat there and waited to be killed.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:32:15 PM EDT
[#2]
"Everybody lie down and don't shoot back while I become visibly panicked and beg for reinforcements that we didn't bother to plan for and which I've just been told are completely unavailable.  Wait, let me split you up into improvised penny packets and scatter you across this terrain that I'm unfamiliar with first."
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:34:46 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I thought there was a cease fire or something.  How old is this video?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I thought there was a cease fire or something.  How old is this video?

old

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:37:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
"Everybody lie down and don't shoot back while I become visibly panicked and beg for reinforcements that we didn't bother to plan for and which I've just been told are completely unavailable.  Wait, let me split you up into improvised penny packets and scatter you across this terrain that I'm unfamiliar with first."
View Quote

Yep. That was hard to watch. So every last one of them besides the reporter were killed?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:51:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Because the FARC would just be chilling and not fighting, if not for the WoD?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I doubt it was on tape. A memory card is much more likely.

Then again, the anchor is incorrect in that it wasn't "filmed" but rather recorded...

War of Drugs and all of that...

FARC stopped being a guerilla group for political reasons eons ago.  They have been a drug and kidnapping gang since.  

The cocaine shoveled up the noses of the North fueled this war.  End the illicit trade and the funding dries up.  

The War or Drugs is lost.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:56:24 PM EDT
[#6]
They didn't realize how bad they were fucked, the captain was staying put in what he thought was the key terrain, the village.  but he wanted resupply and to evac the journalist so they went to a clear PZ (helo couldn't land in the vil)  outnumbered and fighting on the enemy's turf and couldn't see.

IF the helo pilot hadn't pussed out it wasn't a bad plan.  As it was, when the helo pussed out they were fucked.  Should have made the effort to consolidate on high ground.  All that brush really fucked them.  No maps is what stood out to me.  PL had no fucking clue where to go or what to do.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:04:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I wouldnt exactly call him a pussy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Needs more artillery and CAS.

I kept wondering if they had a mortar crew or some super tacos available.  It seemed like the farc asswipes kept the pressure up and moved fast to cut them off in groups of 4-5.  Like they had some professional training.  They had the military guys on 3 sides pretty quick like they knew what they were doing.

Pussy ass reporter wouldn't pick up the icky gun and fight back, even though he was about to be overrun and most of the shooters were down.

I wouldnt exactly call him a pussy.

I would, the dude refused to help and if I'm not mistaken, everyone else there was killed.

There is no such thing as a neutral third party for FARC.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:21:06 PM EDT
[#8]
The weather was too crappy for close air support or evacuation.  And the Colombians have plenty of pilots of their own.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:28:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The weather was too crappy for close air support or evacuation.  And the Colombians have plenty of pilots of their own.
View Quote

huh?

weather was fine.  Visibility in the hundreds of meters at least.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:09:16 AM EDT
[#10]
They had a BT-67 in the air running its mini gun. Judging from the chatter from the CPT to the pilot I don't think he really knew where the threat was.  Hence the ineffective fire.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:12:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

the journalist is a neutral party. He is there to tell a story, not to shoot people. By joining in the fighting, he is picking sides and destroying any chance of surviving to share his findings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Needs more artillery and CAS.

Pussy ass reporter wouldn't pick up the icky gun and fight back, even though he was about to be overrun and most of the shooters were down.

the journalist is a neutral party. He is there to tell a story, not to shoot people. By joining in the fighting, he is picking sides and destroying any chance of surviving to share his findings.

Never mind the fact that in doing so he'd be endangering every other reporter that would try and tag along with units as they'd now be seen as possible combatants.

Very dangerous precedent
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:15:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Every corner huh?  You must live in the ghetto.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As long as the crack heads don't get they crack, it's all worth it!!

Wait wat? Crack is still available on every corner?

While his statement was indeed a gross exaggeration, it doesn't change the fact that the WoD is, and always has been ineffective as well as being the second biggest waste of money right behind entitlement programs.  Couple that with the number of rights that have been trashed due to the WoD and it's an epic failure that continues to cost us big.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:32:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:08:52 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
FARC stopped being a guerilla group for political reasons eons ago.  They have been a drug and kidnapping gang since.  

The cocaine shoveled up the noses of the North fueled this war.  End the illicit trade and the funding dries up.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I doubt it was on tape. A memory card is much more likely.

Then again, the anchor is incorrect in that it wasn't "filmed" but rather recorded...

War of Drugs and all of that...

FARC is a small part.... the AUCs are the larger groups in th drug trade.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:57:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Wow, what a crappy situation
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:14:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

You nailed it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:46:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm not trying to insult or troll either, but what if he would have picked up the rifle and helped the squad regain the initiative and repel the attackers and turn the whole assault?  We'll never know, but you would think as a combat journalist he would go into it knowing he could be killed wether he was a combatant or not.  Nobody knows how they'll react when they're facing death, but my first instinct would be to fight back, which is I guess why I'm not a journalist.
View Quote

When a dozen soldiers are getting overrun one guy with minimal training, weapon skills and ammunition is not going to make that much of a difference.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:34:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

While his statement was indeed a gross exaggeration, it doesn't change the fact that the WoD is, and always has been ineffective as well as being the second biggest waste of money right behind entitlement programs.  Couple that with the number of rights that have been trashed due to the WoD and it's an epic failure that continues to cost us big.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
As long as the crack heads don't get they crack, it's all worth it!!

Wait wat? Crack is still available on every corner?

What rights have been trashed?  If anything it has created cases that defined what LE can't do and put restrictions on it.  That is what legal precedents do, before they are established, LE can do whatever under the vague language.  That is why those cases come about.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:53:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

huh?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

huh?

Dude.  They're in the mountains, the weather changes literally from minute to minute.  Towards the end, its raining pretty good.  You can see it when the LZ element is shooting the MG at 20:39.  The weather was total shit for a good part of the later video, and yes you will also see blue sky in some of the footage.  But it was overcast for most of it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:10:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Marxist Leftist Fighters that started a civil war in 1964. In the 1980s, they started getting into the drug and the mid 90s were the height of their power. They've since lowered in stature and their leadership as been killed off.    

The other issue is the AUCs (AutoDefense Unified Colombians). They're right wing paramilitaries that were formed at te behest of the Army to kill the Marxists. They became part ofthe cartels and have gained a lot of power.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Having a bad brain fart.. what/who is FARC?
Marxist Leftist Fighters that started a civil war in 1964. In the 1980s, they started getting into the drug and the mid 90s were the height of their power. They've since lowered in stature and their leadership as been killed off.    

The other issue is the AUCs (AutoDefense Unified Colombians). They're right wing paramilitaries that were formed at te behest of the Army to kill the Marxists. They became part ofthe cartels and have gained a lot of power.

Why would they join the cartels?  Because that's where the money is.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:44:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That's true, though with the Columbians and Americans inability to really make a dent in FARC over the last couple of decades while spending fuck-tons of money trying, a new avenue needs to be tried.  So don't let them form a political party, have them disarm and remove the mines they've placed, and just allow them to live in the jungles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Last I heard, they were in a cease fire/negotiations and trying to figure out if they would let the rebels continue to live in the jungle (as many at this point haven't ever lived in civilization).

Part of the peace deal is that they have to disarm all of the landmines they've set up in the jungles. The FARC wants to become a political party like the Sandanistas but I'm not sure if they'll be able to make that transition and actually win offices.

Well, I'd say let them at least try.  Couldn't possibly be worse than the former situation...

The Colombians are a pretty conservative people and they are sick of the FARC, probably the most pro-American country in SA.  Fuck the FARC, they shouldn't be given any legitimacy for the shit they have done over the years.  They are nothing but terrorists.

That's true, though with the Columbians and Americans inability to really make a dent in FARC over the last couple of decades while spending fuck-tons of money trying, a new avenue needs to be tried.  So don't let them form a political party, have them disarm and remove the mines they've placed, and just allow them to live in the jungles.

You cant fight what the Government has.  Statist trash told me.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:49:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
As just a lowly 11b national guardsman, it seemed to me to be very centralized. Hoping higher would tell them what to do. There seemed to be no clear definition of what they should do upon contact, no fire support teams, maneuver element etc. no plan for actions on contact. If they had stayed together, implement battle plan 1 or 1a.
Find, fix, communicate, maneuver
View Quote

Maybe with were bait?  Throw in a free journalist.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 8:32:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Dude.  They're in the mountains, the weather changes literally from minute to minute.  Towards the end, its raining pretty good.  You can see it when the LZ element is shooting the MG at 20:39.  The weather was total shit for a good part of the later video, and yes you will also see blue sky in some of the footage.  But it was overcast for most of it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

huh?

That blackhawk waved off because of fire, not because of visibility.  the opportunity was there.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:14:30 AM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

Thank you for posting the video.  It was a good watch, and I feel bad for the loss of the soldiers.  I am slightly even more mad at their training.  Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but when push comes to shove, they need to be trained like American Marines to go after the fuckers - not hide and hope for extraction while their helos are under constant fire.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:24:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Thank you for posting the video.  It was a good watch, and I feel bad for the loss of the soldiers.  I am slightly even more mad at their training.  Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but when push comes to shove, they need to be trained like American Marines to go after the fuckers - not hide and hope for extraction while their helos are under constant fire.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

you spend a lot of time in combat?
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:29:55 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

MW2, MW3, Black Ops 2 and 3. Full tour each.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:34:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Having a bad brain fart.. what/who is FARC?
View Quote

Para military "group"

They were on an episode of Locked Up Abroad awhile back.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:32:00 AM EDT
[#28]
They got some SJW..white chicks that joined the FARC...and married some of the leaders..lol
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:40:38 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

They got some SJW..white chicks that joined the FARC...and married some of the leaders..lol

View Quote
The FARC was and is White Folks. Not everyone in Colombia is Mestiso or Amerindian.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:35:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
They didn't realize how bad they were fucked, the captain was staying put in what he thought was the key terrain, the village.  but he wanted resupply and to evac the journalist so they went to a clear PZ (helo couldn't land in the vil)  outnumbered and fighting on the enemy's turf and couldn't see.

IF the helo pilot hadn't pussed out it wasn't a bad plan.  As it was, when the helo pussed out they were fucked.  Should have made the effort to consolidate on high ground.  All that brush really fucked them.  No maps is what stood out to me.  PL had no fucking clue where to go or what to do.
View Quote

You may have more experience than I, but my take was that the helo pilot already took fire trying to com in for them once - that tactic only works so long with helos.  If the captain and the entire group wasn't smart enough to do an attack while FARC was pre-occupied with firing at the helo the first time, they had far too many troubles with their training to bring it in for any longer or a second time.

I admit that you may know more than I on this, but I'd need to hear about this great plan of using the helo as a target for any length.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:46:18 PM EDT
[#31]
FARC don't fuck around.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:01:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The FARC was and is White Folks. Not everyone in Colombia is Mestiso or Amerindian.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Colombians are not white,by any means.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:17:25 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL

86% of Colombia is White, the Amerindians only make up something like 3.6% and Blacks make up 10%.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top