BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 6:28:05 PM EDT
[#1]
[b]HOLY CRAP ANTI!!![/B]

Of coarse, glad to hear your both okay!

I have a CO detector in my boiler room AND another one right outside our bedroom.

Five yrs ago had a guy living down the block who was DOA from it. Turns out he had real bad symptoms of CO poisoning, was on the line with 911 but calapsed before giving his address. 911 traced the call but by the time help arrived it was too late. He was 32yrs old and was to get married the following year. He lived by himself.

You can never be too carefull!
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 6:34:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

So, what's next...  Locusts, Small Pox, Meteors..?
View Quote

Dude, don't even go there...

Thank God you and Cathy are alright!!!

I'd hate to lose two new friends so soon.[:(]
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 7:48:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry...
Glad you're OK.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 7:59:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh my gosh!!!!

I glad to hear you two are okay.   I also think it would be worthwhile to get some CO detectors.  They are cheap insurance!!  Had a scare once that forced me to get them, but I got lucky and it was something else!

Again, glad to hear your okay!
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 8:19:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Just went to the store to buy a carbon monoxide, and also a smoke detector. Cheap insurance! Tim, I am very happy to hear that you and your wife are OK. Take it easy for the next few days though. Pirate
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 8:22:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Damn. Glad to hear you're going to be OK.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 8:27:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Glad to hear you and the mrs. are ok. count your blessing Anti.....
-bricklayer
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 9:28:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I used to supervise a crew of health inspectors specializing in housing issues.  Seems that every fall CO poisonings would be reported.  I can't over emphasize the importance of maintenance and inspection of all gas fired appliances, water heaters and heating. I recall a call from a concerned apartment tenant, she complained of headaches and her pet parakeet had died unexpectedly.  
Despite the fact that all of the appliances, in her unit, were electic, we conducted an investigation.  The gas fired water heater, for the building, was located in a storage room below her unit, mattresses and furniture had been stuff into this room, dislodging the water heater flue. CO made its way around pipes, conduit and cover plates into the wall and out into this ladies unit.  Co levels were measured at dangerous levels.  You may never know when something goes wrong. CO is colorless and oderless, however it is usually present in smoke and when soot is noted. GET A GOOD DETECTOR. Most Gas Companies have outstanding, procedures to test for, advise on and abate CO hazards. Give them a call.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 9:39:02 PM EDT
[#9]
... addendum to my last post on thread:

... Think, too bad all our overpriced / ineffective / unavailable gas masks would not have prevented this type of poisoning!
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 9:57:27 PM EDT
[#10]
My friends would attest to the fact that no one would have survived the gas that I produce.

Glad to see you survive.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 11:55:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Yup, you two are lucky to be alive. Thank god your wife woke up and also that you knew what was going on. Glad to hear the good news. Take it easy.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 5:42:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Ironically, we had watched the movie "COMA" on Sunday afternoon...  That's how I recognized the symptoms!

The neighbor has fixed the furnace and put in a new vent pipe.

Sweep: I glad to hear your recommendation, because we did buy the NightHawk CO detector.  I went into Home Depot and asked for the best, and a very close friend that is also a manager, grabbed it and said that's what he depends upon for his family.

Every time I got up last night, I checked the LED display to see if the levels changed any...  When I first plugged it in, there was still some residual gas in the house, and it registered "12", now it is sitting comfortably at "0".

We both feel great this morning, and very happy to still be alive!
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 6:52:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Many gas companies provide free yearly inspections of furnaces, etc.

Check.

They tend to like having LIVE paying customers.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 4:50:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Great to hear everything is ok.Wow you got to be wondering what next!!!! I for one hope nothing, you've had enough excitement for this year. Again just glad all is well now.[:D]
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 6:32:28 PM EDT
[#15]
It cannot be said enough - If you have any gas burning appliance or even a wood burning one, then get at least one CO detector. I believe in redundancy and have three, but being in the business I have seen my share of accidents.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top