BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 4:48:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I would go:

Colonel AirForceGuy the first time for the day,  but only if in uniform, and Sir/Ma'am or Colonel the rest of the day.

Mr. Airforceguy if in civilian clothes, or just Air if you would call another client by their first name.

But mostly I am trying to be respectful, and make sure they get that and I am confident anything I do that is incorrect, but well meant will be excused.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 4:50:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Just call him "zoomie", Air Force guys like that.

No, no, no......they like being called "General Ripper".  No matter what their rank when they were in.

LC

ETA:  In all seriousness, if you are sure you know the insignia, call him by his rank.  Otherwise, call him sir.

LC
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:10:03 PM EDT
[#3]
at my old job, I tried to use ranks where appropriate. I didn't  run into many Navy guys (I don't know the enlisted ranks) but when I needed to get their attention in a crowd of folks, I would just yell, "hey navy!" and that was usually enough for us to establish communication.

Yelling "hey asshole" also works.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:17:22 PM EDT
[#4]
If it is a Captain I say Captain.....I just like to say it....Dunno why....

Anything above or below is just Sir.....
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:17:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I once had the pleasure of picking up a Lieutenant Colonel from the airport in Incheon, Korea. Since we were out in public, alone, and he, I and my codriver were in civies, we addressed the man we presumed to be him as "Mr. Such and Such." On the way home, and always after that, it was LTC Such and Such. Point being, depending on where you are, you may or may not want your rank announced out in public.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:26:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Only his military peers need call him by his rank, however, it is a nice thing to do.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:33:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Sir or Ma'am is most appropriate given the fact that even within the military ranks are not the same.  A captain in the Navy is a much higher rank than a captain in the other services.  Even the enlisted ranks can be muddled.  

For instance, in the Army it is OK to address a sergeant, a staff sergeant and a sergeant first class as "sergeant", a Command Sergeant Major as "sar'ent major", and even informally a first sergeant can be addressed as "Top".  I once addressed a Marine staff sergeant as "sergeant" and he tried to rip me a new one.  I couldn't even begin to tell you Navy and Air Farce enlisted ranks.  Even addressing an enlisted member as "sir or ma'am" by a civilian is perfectly OK.  It's just respectful.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:35:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I address civilians as Sir, Ma'am....I expect to be addressed by rank or Sir in return in uniform.........hey you, last name from name tag....etc....usually I ignore them....most DOD employees know the proper response...so this usually isnt an issue..
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:37:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Being a (civilian) contractor that does a lot of work on .mil bases I have wondered the same thing.  I pretty much just call everyone "sir".  Funny thing is, they all call me "sir" too.  Hell, I'm only 40 (but do have pretty much all gray hair).  It's pretty embarassing when a full bird calls you "sir".
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:40:11 PM EDT
[#10]
In my previous job I would have to communicate with military folks on occasion and I would adddress them by rank and name.  Even the law enforcement people too.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:41:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If a low life civi doesn't call me Ensign xxxxxx I chew their fucking ass off

In all seriousness most of the people i work with are civilians. I usually get called sir or my first name. If people introduce me they say my rank, but that's about the only time it gets mentioned. I get called LT more than ENS because most people just assume gold bar = LT.

Better than "butter bar"
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:48:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:52:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Just a question about how a civilian would address someone of rank in our military. We have a guest that stays at our hotel often who's a Lt. Col. in the Air Force. Should I address him as such or just keep it Mr. Airforceguy?

ETA: Not calling him out, no DD214 required, no pics of insignias or belts worn at the wrong angle.

Call him Col.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:57:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm a former Marine and whenever I go to the recruiting office to ask for a new car sticker or ID lanyard I always adress the recruiter by rank.  Even if I would have out-ranked him.  I greases the wheels.  And he earned it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 6:01:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Addressing by rank and last name would be appropriate.

ETA DON'T f'ing get it wrong.  If you are not 100% damn sure of the rank you are addressing, just stick with sir/ma'am.

This is what I go with.  If I know with certainty what the rank is I use it as a sign of respect.  If I'm not sure, I'll stick with Sir/Ma'am.

So far no one has seemed upset with how I've addressed them.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 6:14:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Used to call my dad Chief all the time, he didn't mind.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 6:14:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just a question about how a civilian would address someone of rank in our military. We have a guest that stays at our hotel often who's a Lt. Col. in the Air Force. Should I address him as such or just keep it Mr. Airforceguy?

ETA: Not calling him out, no DD214 required, no pics of insignias or belts worn at the wrong angle.

Call him Col.

But pronounce it the LeClerc did for lulz.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 6:58:06 PM EDT
[#18]
I am reminded vaguely of the scene in The Presidio when Sean Connery educates some civilans in the bar on rank identification with his right thumb.

NTM
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top