BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 5:51:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Odd.  This didn't happen to my 1941W.

Its not an EA series.... Reading is fundamental.

Thread title is misleading.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 5:53:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You make an Excellent point...
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 5:53:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No shit they are fucktards!! My dumb ass just bought an EA2700 two weeks ago.

I may take it back to walmart. To roll the software back, I have to unplug it plus reinstall software. I could just as easily put it back in the box and return it.  

What does the Hive recommend as a replacement if I do?

Just roll the shit back.......fuck.

QFT

"The next-to-last sentence reads: "In some cases,
in order to provide an optimal experience on your home network, some
updates may still be automatically applied, regardless of the
auto-update setting.
”"

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 5:54:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I may take it back to walmart. To roll the software back, I have to unplug it plus reinstall software. I could just as easily put it back in the box and return it.  

QFT

Jesus fuck....some people on here.

"Arf, should I pack up the router I bought and have been using for the past 2 weeks, then get in my car, waste some gas and go to Walmart to return a product only to go to the shelf and buy a new one?"

For fuck's sake.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 5:55:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

QFT

"The next-to-last sentence reads: "In some cases, in order to provide an optimal experience on your home network, some updates may still be automatically applied, regardless of the auto-update setting.”"  

Okay....and?  If they try to do this shit again, customers will complain and they'll undo it.  If it happens again, THEN you get rid of their product.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 5:56:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

QFT

"Arf, should I pack up the router I bought and have been using for the past 2 weeks, then get in my car, waste some gas and go to Walmart to return a product only to go to the shelf and buy a new one?"

For fuck's sake.

I would roll it back and save the gas. I rolled mine back in less than 5 minutes.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 6:04:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Linksys/Cisco needs a boycott for this.  They and their competitors need to learn this was a very  stupid and expensive mistake.   I used to swear by Linksys, but with their current junk they sell and this fiasco I'm done w/ them.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 6:08:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Linksys/Cisco needs a boycott for this.  They and their competitors need to learn this was a very  stupid and expensive mistake.   I used to swear by Linksys, but with their current junk they sell and this fiasco I'm done w/ them.

I will not buy another one. I am a big believe in corrective action . They need a swift kick in the ass over this.  Like I said earlier this is prime for a class action law suit.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 6:23:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FWIW, I simply copied/pasted the title of the article.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 6:35:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Never been a big Cisco fan even back when they were the only game in town for routers (early-mid 90's) and now I'm Cisco/Linksys free. I'm running Engenious stuff and I really like it.

I got my Cisco cert way back in 1994 or so. Worthless waste of time and money.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 6:37:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Never been a big Cisco fan even back when they were the only game in town for routers (early-mid 90's) and now I'm Cisco/Linksys free. I'm running Engenious stuff and I really like it.

ive been saying this over and over again

i feel bad especially for the people who've gotten CCIE etc, so worthless to employers
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 6:45:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Indusry standard  I have not been a place yet that has not ask me from the get go if I had a CCNA

You don't got to like it but thats the ugly truth.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 6:50:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Slight hijak... I'm looking for a router right now and had my eye on the 2700.  What device in this range do others prefer?  Netgear?  Asus?  

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 6:50:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Im starting to see a pattern;

Big Tech Company =  Consumer Gets Fucked.

They ALL fuck their customers in some major way,  sometimes several times.  Without fail.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 6:51:32 PM EDT
[#15]
my cisco router seems fine. if it pulls this 'upgrade' shit, i will destroy it joyfully.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 7:21:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

They ALL fuck their customers in some major way,  sometimes several times.  Without fail.

Welcome to machine...
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 7:32:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Buffalo makes a hell of a good router.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 7:38:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

QFT

"The next-to-last sentence reads: "In some cases, in order to provide an optimal experience on your home network, some updates may still be automatically applied, regardless of the auto-update setting.”"  

Okay....and?  If they try to do this shit again, customers will complain and they'll undo it.  If it happens again, THEN you get rid of their product.

Fuck really.  Will it really be ok with you then?   God. Fuck.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 7:44:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Cough...

...or (ii) are otherwise required to take by a third party or court of competent jurisdiction, in each case...

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 7:55:05 PM EDT
[#20]
I must be the onliest one rocking a Belkin.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:07:05 PM EDT
[#21]

ASUS RT-N66U

Fuck linksys/cisco.

Click pick for link to newegg product page
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:36:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

QFT

Fuck really.  Will it really be ok with you then?   God. Fuck.

That's kinda how I feel about some sissy whining about having to unplug his router and reinstall software.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:36:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
<a href="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320091" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/zack3gpics/d6c8d977.jpg</a>

ASUS RT-N66U

Fuck linksys/cisco.

Got damn......$170.....fuck me.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:31:20 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

<a href="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320091" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/zack3gpics/d6c8d977.jpg</a>

ASUS RT-N66U

Fuck linksys/cisco.

If you get tired of playing with toys, come play with the big boys.

But seriously, if all you do is arfcom you will need nothing like this.  

I love mine. USB ports are handy. If you are a geek it is worth the price.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:33:28 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Cisco was mentioned recently as selling network monitoring gear to Iran and Syria.  i guess we know where they got the practice...  

Can't throw that out there without a link...

My linksys is over 6 years old, very first N model they rolled out...  Good to know for when I finally upgrade this POS.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:34:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

ASUS RT-N66U

Fuck linksys/cisco.

Thats very reasonably priced , trying to stream movies over a cheap router sux ass in the worst possible way. I think I will order one of the ASUS routers as a back up so when the Cisco fails I will have a standby
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:39:39 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/zack3gpics/d6c8d977.jpg

ASUS RT-N66U

Fuck linksys/cisco.

For home use, that's a hell of a lot of router.

I might need one.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:43:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

ASUS RT-N66U

Fuck linksys/cisco.

Oh, I know.....but still, fuck me.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:47:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

ASUS RT-N66U

Fuck linksys/cisco.

I love mine. The range on it is insane. You can crank up the transmit power to 500mw (maybe even higher)

This thing lets you configure most of the shit people install dd-wrt to do.

It rules.

And it will torrent for you.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:48:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

ASUS RT-N66U

Fuck linksys/cisco.

For that kind of money I can build a pfsense box and run a Cisco access point.  (Which is what I have)  That's too expensive for me.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:55:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

ASUS RT-N66U

Fuck linksys/cisco.

I love mine. The range on it is insane. You can crank up the transmit power to 500mw (maybe even higher)

It rules.

No espresso maker = no care.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 10:13:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

ASUS RT-N66U

Fuck linksys/cisco.

It rules.

Routers shouldn't do torrents IMO.  Just another weak point to compromise them.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 10:23:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Try "Concentration of unchecked power in the hands of a few = surrounding mass of individuals all get fucked"

Anybody who trusts unchecked power in the hands of a self-interested corporation any more than they trust self-interested power in the hands of a government shouldn't be the least bit surprised when it is abused the same way...  
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 5:39:01 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Try "Concentration of unchecked power in the hands of a few = surrounding mass of individuals all get fucked"

Anybody who trusts unchecked power in the hands of a self-interested corporation any more than they trust self-interested power in the hands of a government shouldn't be the least bit surprised when it is abused the same way...  

You are correct.  So very right!

It scares the hell out of me any time someone gets too big for their britches, especially in the private sector.  

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 6:39:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Cisco/Linksys backpedals on privacy policy after uproar:

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/258694/cisco_changes_privacy_policy_for_linksys_routers_after_uproar.html

Cisco Systems said a privacy policy for the Cisco Connect Cloud service that alarmed some customers was a mistake and has been removed.

The cloud service, which among other things allows users of some Wi-Fi home routers to manage their devices from away from home, went live last week and was included in an automatic firmware update to those routers. That brought a flood of complaints to online forums about both the firmware update and the privacy document, which said Cisco might track and share information about customers' Internet use and other data.

"We removed content that could have been misinterpreted as being inconsistent with Cisco's privacy statement based on a selective analysis," Cisco said in a statement.

"In a nutshell, this was just a mistake," Cisco spokesman David McCulloch said.

The specific privacy policy for the cloud service is contained in a "Cisco Connect Cloud Supplement," that expands upon Cisco's general corporate privacy policy. There is a link to the supplement on the right side of the general privacy page. Parts of the supplement, including the reference to collecting Internet history, have been removed. McCulloch said he could not immediately explain how the stricken language was included by mistake.

Some users of the Linksys EA3500 and EA4500 routers wrote on online forums last week that Cisco apparently had updated the firmware on their routers automatically without their consent. The new firmware prompted them to start managing their routers through the Cisco Connect Cloud service, which administers a router over the Internet instead of directly over the wireless LAN. Some users said they weren't able to keep managing their routers locally except through a limited interface that lacked features they were used to.

Along the way, one user pointed out a section of the privacy policy for Cisco Connect Cloud that said the company might keep track of a variety of information including Internet history and might share "aggregated and anonymous user experience information" with service providers and other third parties.

The updated privacy supplement for the cloud service says, "Cisco may collect and store detailed information regarding your network configuration and usage for the purpose of providing you technical networking support." It says that data will be associated with the customer only when he or she provides an ID number, randomly generated and under the user's control, to the support representative.

An administrator on the Cisco Home Community forum subsequently posted a link to instructions for downgrading the routers' firmware and opting out of future automatic upgrades.

But Cisco also responded to the complaints with a dedicated post to its official blog on Friday.

"Cisco Connect Cloud was delivered only to consumers who opted in to automatic updates. However, we apologize that the opt-out process for Cisco Connect Cloud and automatic updates was not more clear in this product release, and we are developing an updated version that will improve this process," Cisco Home Networking Vice President and General Manager Brett Wingo wrote in the blog post. The post directed customers who wanted to return to the traditional Linksys management software to call the Linksys customer support line.

The blog post also partly addressed the questions about the privacy policy but didn't say the "Cisco Connect Cloud Supplement" had been changed. McCullough said on Monday that the blog might be updated.

Linksys is a brand used on products from Cisco's Home Networking Business Unit.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 6:56:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
D-link makes very nice routers.

Yeppers
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 6:58:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

QFT

For fuck's sake.

I would roll it back and save the gas. I rolled mine back in less than 5 minutes.  

Shit, Gas is cheap compared to privacy.  Walmart is just a mile or so away.

I buy from newegg anyway, I'll order a new router from them.................
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 7:59:40 AM EDT
[#38]
This thread reminds me that I need a new router...

Those Buffalo ones any good?  Specifically the AC1300 / N900.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 8:11:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 8:12:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
This thread reminds me that I need a new router...

Those Buffalo ones any good?  Specifically the AC1300 / N900.

I have a Buffalo Airstation that I am very pleased with.  It's worked well for years.  Very good range.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 8:15:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 8:18:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 8:21:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 8:31:14 AM EDT
[#44]
192.168.1.1..............yup, my e3000 is still under my control. If that ever changes, I have a 10lbs sledge in the shed and will modify it to a more suitable configuration.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 2:51:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

ASUS RT-N66U

Fuck linksys/cisco.

Most bad ass router with latest technology is bad ass.

And expensive. If you have to ask...........
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 4:44:29 AM EDT
[#46]
I suspect that there's a little bit of sensationalist spin on this Cisco/Linksys story, but I can't imagine any circumstances under which I'd be happy to have the administration of a device I own forcefully "outsourced".
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 4:54:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
DD-wrt

^^^^^This
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 4:57:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Makes me glad I chose my Netgear when I was upgrading my router a few months back.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 5:02:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Wow...
That's BS.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 5:04:08 AM EDT
[#50]
I'm running m0n0wall on a Soekris net4801-that Soekris is the baby brother to what my company uses in it's branch offices. If any of you like to tinker around with this stuff, it's easy to set up and customize

Our bigger offices and call centers use Cisco 2841 ISRs, but that's a whole different kettle of fish.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top