User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 12:48:26 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
"See dealer for a copy of the limited warranty and details"

Anyone know if it covers stuff like alternator, water pump, gaskets, belts, hoses, O2 sensors, ect?

Or does it just cover the block.

jesus man, what else do you want it to cover...

Everything but gas, oil, brake pads, tires and the battery would be a good start.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 12:49:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I suggested you talk to a Chrysler mechanic. You and your circle of friends are the exception.

Yes, I have talked to Chrysler techs and yes, they told me to run from their product.

I'm pretty sure all a Toyota mechanic sees are broken Toyotas...

I'd be more inclined to listed to an independent shop that sees ALOT of business. Or anybody who does fleet maintenance.

Consumer reports good buys:

Toyota:
Toyota 4Runner
Toyota Avalon
Toyota Camry
Toyota Camry Solara
Toyota Celica
Toyota Corolla
Toyota Echo
Toyota Highlander
Toyota Land Cruiser
Toyota Matrix
Toyota Prius
Toyota RAV4
Toyota Sequoia
Toyota Sienna
Toyota Tundra

Dodge:
None

Chrysler:
None

Let me guess, you don't like CR 'cause they bash you car
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 12:50:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
"See dealer for a copy of the limited warranty and details"

Anyone know if it covers stuff like alternator, water pump, gaskets, belts, hoses, O2 sensors, ect?

Or does it just cover the block.

jesus man, what else do you want it to cover...

Everything but gas, oil, brake pads, tires and the battery would be a good start.

I actually found a scan of the warranty agreement a while back. Lemme see if I can dig it up. It was actually pretty decent. Hang on...
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 12:52:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Toyota:
Toyota 4Runner
Toyota Avalon
Toyota Camry
Toyota Camry Solara
Toyota Celica
Toyota Corolla
Toyota Echo
Toyota Highlander
Toyota Land Cruiser
Toyota Matrix
Toyota Prius
Toyota RAV4
Toyota Sequoia
Toyota Sienna
Toyota Tundra

Dodge:
None

Chrysler:
None

I have a lot of problems with their survey method of ranking automobiles, and as such I disregard them. There are alot of problems with their methodology that they absolutely refuse to address.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 12:55:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I have no idea how they rated any of my 4 vehicles, or even the Toyota I had a few years ago. It matters little, because their methodology is flawed.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:01:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

CU has the best estimates on reliability even if their methodology is a bit flawed.  They see hundreds, if not thousands of responses on a particular make & model, which can give you a more accurate picture/estimate on reliability than maybe the few that is posted on ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:01:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I suggested you talk to a Chrysler mechanic. You and your circle of friends are the exception.

Yes, I have talked to Chrysler techs and yes, they told me to run from their product.

I'd be more inclined to listed to an independent shop that sees ALOT of business. Or anybody who does fleet maintenance.

Toyota:
Toyota 4Runner
Toyota Avalon
Toyota Camry
Toyota Camry Solara
Toyota Celica
Toyota Corolla
Toyota Echo
Toyota Highlander
Toyota Land Cruiser
Toyota Matrix
Toyota Prius
Toyota RAV4
Toyota Sequoia
Toyota Sienna
Toyota Tundra

Dodge:
None

Chrysler:
None

CR??? LOL
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:02:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

CU has the best estimates on reliability even if their methodology is a bit flawed.  They see hundreds, if not thousands of responses on a particular make & model, which can give you a more accurate picture/estimate on reliability than maybe the few that is posted on ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:08:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CR generally has a boner for any non-American badge.

Edit: I say this as a subscriber. I know they've got whacked views on things but they have helped me make relatively informed purchase decisions.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:10:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I wonder if this warranty covers "fair wear and tear".

I bought an extended warranty on a car one time and it had a long list of "fair wear and tear" exclusions, specifically mentioning things like bearing and piston ring wear.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:17:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Consumer reports is flawed.

Two years ago when they did paint tests they went out and bought all major brands of paint to test. The next year they used what they had bought the year before. Some brands had reformulated, and there were new competitive brands on the market! There was new technology!

They didnt care. They replicated the same test with the same paint.

Who cares what they think.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:19:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's better than ARFCOM, but it's still just a larger version of anecdotal bullshit. It a small survey of a small number of readers, with widely disparate sample sizes. Cars have become so damn reliable over the past decade, that a failure incidence rate difference of 1 or 2 percent is enough to get a car ranked "above average" or "below average", as the case may be. There is very little ACTUAL difference between many of the cars surveyed, but people are still drawn to those cute little colored circles like moths to the flame.

Even worse, is that they actually have the balls to rank cars with such granularity, when the difference in failure percentages is almost surely less than the sample error. It's a load of bullshit. They're worthless, and I dismiss them for good reason.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:29:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Nobody seems to consider that the lifetime warranty also covers Jeep products. I wouldn't mind a new Rubicon.....as if Jeep needs more warranty. My 90 Cherokee has close to 500k miles and still runs strong. My Denali is way more comfortable, though.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:31:32 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Nobody seems to consider that the lifetime warranty also covers Jeep products. I wouldn't mind a new Rubicon.....as if Jeep needs more warranty. My 90 Cherokee has close to 500k miles and still runs strong. My Denali is way more comfortable, though.

I want a Rubicon so bad, I once considered selling my Mustang. Almost...

This just sweetens it even more. Rubi's have a stout drivetrain as it is.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:37:25 PM EDT
[#15]

E. Parts Covered
The Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty covers these parts and components of your vehicle’s powertrain supplied by DaimlerChrysler Motors
Company LLC:

Gasoline Engine: cylinder block and all internal parts; cylinder head assemblies; timing case, timing chain, timing belt, gears and sprockets; vibration
damper; oil pump; water pump and housing; intake and exhaust manifolds; flywheel with starter ring gear; core plugs; valve covers; oil pan; turbocharger
housing and internal parts; turbocharger wastegate actuator; supercharger; serpentine belt tensioner; seals and gaskets for listed components only.

Transmission: transmission case and all internal parts; torque converter; drive/flex plate; transmission range switch; transmission control module; bell
housing; oil pan; seals and gaskets for listed components only. NOTE: MANUAL TRANSMISSION CLUTCH PARTS ARE NOT COVERED AT ANY
TIME.

Front Wheel Drive: transaxle case and all internal parts; axle shaft assemblies; constant velocity joints and boots; differential cover; oil pan; transaxle
speed sensors; transaxle solenoid assembly; PRNDL position switch; transaxle electronic controller; torque converter; seals and gaskets for listed
components only. NOTE: MANUAL TRANSMISSION CLUTCH PARTS ARE NOT COVERED AT ANY TIME.

All Wheel Drive (AWD): power transfer unit and all internal parts; viscous coupler; axle housing and all internal parts; constant velocity joints and boots;
driveshaft and axle shaft assemblies; differential carrier assembly and all internal parts; output ball bearing; output flange; end cover; overrunning clutch;
vacuum motor; torque tube; pinion spacer and shim, seals and gaskets for listed components only.

Rear Wheel Drive: rear axle housing and all internal parts; axle shafts; axle shaft bearings; drive shaft assemblies; drive shaft center bearings; universal
joints and yokes; seals and gaskets for listed components only.

Four-Wheel Drive (4X4): transfer case and all internal parts; transfer case control module and shift mode motor assembly; axle housing and all internal
parts; axle shafts; axle shaft bearings; drive shafts assemblies (front and rear); drive shaft center bearings; universal joints and yokes; disconnect housing
assembly; seals and gaskets for the listed components only.

www.mouseprint.org/wp-content/avert/chryslerlifewarr.pdf
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:39:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I think that applies to original owner only.  That's what turned me off.

Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:50:13 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's better than ARFCOM, but it's still just a larger version of anecdotal bullshit. It a small survey of a small number of readers, with widely disparate sample sizes. Cars have become so damn reliable over the past decade, that a failure incidence rate difference of 1 or 2 percent is enough to get a car ranked "above average" or "below average", as the case may be. There is very little ACTUAL difference between many of the cars surveyed, but people are still drawn to those cute little colored circles like moths to the flame.

Even worse, is that they actually have the balls to rank cars with such granularity, when the difference in failure percentages is almost surely less than the sample error. It's a load of bullshit. They're worthless, and I dismiss them for good reason.
You are correct.  Years ago, I filled out one of those survey sheets for CU.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:53:23 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Toyota:
Toyota 4Runner
Toyota Avalon
Toyota Camry
Toyota Camry Solara
Toyota Celica
Toyota Corolla
Toyota Echo
Toyota Highlander
Toyota Land Cruiser
Toyota Matrix
Toyota Prius
Toyota RAV4
Toyota Sequoia
Toyota Sienna
Toyota Tundra

Dodge:
None

Chrysler:
None

Well it's kind of hard for CR to be objective when its mouth is up against Toyota's butt.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:55:05 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I think that applies to original owner only.  That's what turned me off.

That's kind of the beauty of the thing, from Chrysler's perspective. Most people that buy brand new cars don't keep them very long. The kind of dude who would keep a car running indefinitely is the kind of guy who would probably let somebody else take the hit on the depreciation. With the added caveat that you have to have it inspected every 5 years (within a limited window), the herd thins a little more.

In the grand scheme of things, they're not going to be paying out much. They just aren't.

I'm still curious how they're going to manage replacing parts on 35 year old vehicles someday (you know some guy is still going to have his Rubicon). I *do* know that there aren't going to many people in that predicament 35 years from now. How many people do you know with a 68 Roadrunner as the original owner?
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:58:11 PM EDT
[#20]
If they offered a lifetime warranty against body rot (fucking salt...), I'd sell my Mustang and every other car I owned and buy Jeeps yesterday.

The drivetrain never really bothered me on any car I've ever owned. I can turn wrenches. It's  the holes in the body that require sectioning in new quarter panels that kill me. It's over my head, and I can't afford to pay a body shop to keep on top of it. My YJ *might* be the one exception to this, but only because the body is so damn simple.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 3:00:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Well......this Friday, the wife and I are going to buy a new Jeep Commander.  

We'll let you know if/when it blows up....
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top