Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/22/2015 12:19:03 PM EDT
If you haven't noticed I get a lot of wild hairs at times. I like the standard a2 rear sight on the detachable carry handles, but I also want to use an eotech or an aimpoint, so I am thing of chopping off the handle.... Couple of questions, should I disassemble the rear sight before I cut it? Should I do it by hand or use an air powered cut off saw? Is it possible to mille down the cuts or would I need to file on it for a few hours? Do they usually turn out ok or do they look like shit?
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 11:41:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 11:43:09 AM EDT
[#2]
There are many ways to do it, and many different tools that you can use. How it looks is all up to how good you are with hand tools. I have seen them look like crap, and I have seen others that look great. I also remember being able to purchase cut down carry handles where the work is already done for you. Also look on Youtube for any videos on the subject. I also remember someone making a small BUIS that is the same configuration as the A2 sight. But you need to do a search as I can't remember who had them. Good Luck.    

NCH

*** UPDATE****
Member above posted a link to the later that I mentioned, thanks!!!!
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 11:49:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If you haven't noticed I get a lot of wild hairs at times. I like the standard a2 rear sight on the detachable carry handles, but I also want to use an eotech or an aimpoint, so I am thing of chopping off the handle.... Couple of questions, should I disassemble the rear sight before I cut it? Should I do it by hand or use an air powered cut off saw? Is it possible to mille down the cuts or would I need to file on it for a few hours? Do they usually turn out ok or do they look like shit?
View Quote

Shit...
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:18:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:23:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Generally they look like shit.  Hopefully you are hacking a cheapo and not one you could sell or trade for a LMT (or similar) that would definitely look better and probably work better as well, but in the end it is yours to do with as you please.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:24:52 PM EDT
[#6]
13ers still delivering. This thread will be great. A couple of things OP, use a dremel, take pics.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:24:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Why not just trade it for a flat top?
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:25:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Dremel that hoe #YOLO
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:26:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted: so I am thing of chopping off the handle....  Is it possible to mille down the cuts or would I need to file on it for a few hours? Do they usually turn out ok or do they look like shit?
View Quote

It sounds like you have no understanding of basic tool usage and craftsmanship.  

May I suggest you start with an actual A2 upper?  
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:27:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Make sure to post pics.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:27:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

He's talking about a detachable carry handle, so it is a flattop already
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:29:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Pics before, during, and after. Pleeease.

I'm also feeling just a little bit worse right now about my join date...
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:29:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

it is a flat top. he wants to cut down a detachable carry handle
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:30:08 PM EDT
[#14]
KAC and RRA both make what you seek.  I'd go that route, but if you must kill an A2 carry handle a mill would be the nicest way to do it, but a hacksaw wil get it done.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:31:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh.

Well that's pretty ghetto.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:34:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I don't know if this is legit or something for GD

I think GD deserves this one

View Quote

Chopped carry handles were quite the fad 10-15 years ago. I realize many of you haven't been a part of the scene that long, but this is not a new or particularly outrageous idea.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:35:53 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

I think DPMS and LMT have similar sights available.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:36:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Nvm
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:36:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, never mind my previous post.  Chop away.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:40:38 PM EDT
[#20]
RRA has a flat top with perm A2 sight on it.

They also have a mount for an eotech with a a2 sight, had one years ago and worked great.

Please don't cut an A2 up
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:45:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:47:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Why not just buy an LMT fixed rear sight?
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:49:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Chopped carry handles were quite the fad 10-15 years ago. I realize many of you haven't been a part of the scene that long, but this is not a new or particularly outrageous idea.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Mountain Men wander out of the woods and have AR's with chopped carry handles at CO gun shows.

You can tell it's been chopped by looking at it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:51:33 PM EDT
[#24]
there used to be a member on here that would sell chopped carry handle sights. They looked good, but I'm sure he had a lot of time invested in them. If it was me I'd just sell the carry handle and buy a rear sight.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:53:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't figure out why everybody seems so against it in this thread.  

OP the result depends solely on your skill with a file to finish it up.  I cut my FSB to fit under a rail and keep the taper pins and it turned out damn good if I say so myself.  Cut it with a dremel and shaped with hand files, although a belt sander would have been easier.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:56:35 PM EDT
[#26]
I cut an old caa handle a few years ago, I still have it on a middy
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:00:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
there used to be a member on here that would sell chopped carry handle sights. They looked good, but I'm sure he had a lot of time invested in them. If it was me I'd just sell the carry handle and buy a rear sight.
View Quote

Unless he was chopping those $10 pot-metal Chinese airsoft handles and selling them for $50 how was he making money? Real Milspec carry handles run and sell around $60-70 and reputable companies make their own A2 style BUIS sights for around the same price point. I don't get it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:03:17 PM EDT
[#28]
1) unscrew thumb knobs and save
2) remove steel retainer bar
3) clamp in vice between two pieces of wood (to protect finish)
4) using a hand saw or power saw, make cuts.
5) break sharp edges, debur and finish with dremel tool or files
6) refinish bare aluminum with paint, birchwood caseys aluminum black or black felt tip marker

Its pretty easy. A trained monkey can do it.

ETA. How the end product looks depends on your skill. Or just get this:
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:04:12 PM EDT
[#29]
I prefer the DD A1.5 BUIS....
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:08:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Go for it!  It's super easy.

Here's a carry handle I chopped last year.  Needed a rear sight for my beater AR but wanted to be able to mount an optic whenever I get one for it.  Wanted something more robust than a flip up since it's the primary sighting system on the rifle for now and it gets tossed in the trunk quite often.  I just chopped a carry handle I had on hand instead of buying something else.

1st step

3 rough cuts.  I used a sawsall with an 18 TPI medium metal blade.  A hack saw can be used as well.  The cuts don't need to be perfect, they will be cleaned up later.  Cut number 1 wasn't necessary but it made cut 3 easier.

2nd step

Shape up the rough cuts.  You'll need to get rid of the sharp edges and I also chose to radius the top corners.  I used a bench grinder but a dremel would also work for this part.  I used a hand file for a couple of small areas. 150 grit sandpaper around my finger got rid of any roughness and made it all look consistent.

3rd step

Add some sort of finish to the raw silver areas.  I just used krylon but then again mine is just going on a beater/trunk gun.  I've heard aluminum black or grill paint work well if you're going for a factory black look.

That's it.  I do plan on getting rid of the big thumb screw at some point and replacing it with something smaller but that's for a different day.

Whole thing took less than 15 minutes of work from start to finish and turned a spare carry handle into something LMT sells for $120.

Here's a pic with a T1 mounted so you can see how the two work together.

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:10:57 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Unless he was chopping those $10 pot-metal Chinese airsoft handles and selling them for $50 how was he making money? Real Milspec carry handles run and sell around $60-70 and reputable companies make their own A2 style BUIS sights for around the same price point. I don't get it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe he had a source for de-milled (cut up) carry handles?  

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:17:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I remember that.  IIRC all it took was pics of some SF type dudes in Afghanistan with M4's with chopped carry handles and suddenly everyone was doing it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:19:36 PM EDT
[#34]

He is wanting to cut the handle off of a detachable carry handle.  Not cut the handle from an upper with a fixed carry handle.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:23:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree. They can turn out nice. I don't get all the buggery or why it was moved.
Good luck OP. take your time and do it right. Also I think they sell them somewhere. Can't remember though.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:23:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Dremel that hoe #YOLO
View Quote

Werd
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:37:36 PM EDT
[#37]
I used that setup till I could aquire a ft benning bus from the armorer.  Worked well

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:40:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks for the replies, it is already a flat top a4, wouldn't do it to an a2 receiver because that that would still be useless...... I think I might just sell the carry handle I have and buy an rra chopped one they sell. Are the RRA's good quality? or are they on par with dpms....
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:47:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
RRA has a flat top with perm A2 sight on it.

They also have a mount for an eotech with a a2 sight, had one years ago and worked great.

Please don't cut an A2 up
View Quote

Note detachable carry handle, wtf good would chopping an a2 receiver do? i'd have to mill rails on it......
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:53:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
wtf good would chopping an a2 receiver do?
View Quote

Not sure the reason but I've seen it done...  I think it was somewhere on here.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:56:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Why destroy a good handle?
Just get a battle site.
FPNI
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 2:03:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Why destroy a good handle?
Just get a battle site.
FPNI
View Quote

Because he can get what he wants for free assuming he already has the carry handle.  Why spend the hundred bucks to buy one?

It's functional, easy, and would cost nothing.

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 6:11:15 PM EDT
[#43]
A dremel will get the job done but a side grinder with a cutoff wheel is much faster and in my opinion easer to get a clean cut.  I like to use thick leather to clamp it in the vice but wood will work.  As others have stated clean it up with files and paint it.  This one started off as an Eotech riser so not as much to cut off, I use the same technique cutting down gas blocks.

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 8:40:03 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Why not just buy an LMT fixed rear sight?
View Quote
Because that is why the LMT sight exist, and you can make a better BUIS out of a good carry handle for less.

Check out the MK18/CQB thread.  It's a bit odd that so many old members are not aware of this very solid practice.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 10:40:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Funny thing is, now I kinda want a regular carry handle again.  works just fine though.

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 10:43:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Oh.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh.

Before BUIS was widely available I chopped down and refinished quite a few....they look like the ones posted in the link above...how in the hell is that ghetto?

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 10:44:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Well that would be a goddamn fucking retarded thing to do.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 10:47:02 AM EDT
[#48]
OP - They sell bandsaws at Harbor Freight that should do the job.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 10:56:21 AM EDT
[#49]
100% Dremel and about 10 minutes of time...

" />

" />
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:01:59 AM EDT
[#50]
You can also remove the larger than necesary thumb screw (that can beat your knuckles up good) and replace it with a lock-washer and nut that really reduces the side-to-side profile.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top