User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:03:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Quoted:
The same folks who built these?  Yeah, you won't catch my ass in one.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01432/china_1432267c.jpg
To be fair that building is strong as a mother fucker, it fell over and is in one piece. the foundation is another story.

Yeah you aren't kidding, that building sitting on its side in one piece is sort of incredible.  Obviously a failure but it looks like people weren't crushed to death by it anyway.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:12:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I cannot wait to see "worr's tawrrest birr'ding" become World's Funniest Home Video.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:15:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Chinese metallurgy? No thank you.

It's a failure waiting to happen.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:16:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:29:02 AM EDT
[#5]

What could go wrong?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:32:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm sure the quality of that structure will be consistent with that of the other fine products from China.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:33:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:39:05 AM EDT
[#8]
dupe thread from a few months ago.

It's not actually being built in 90 days, it's being assembled in 90 days, work offsite and the foundation are'nt being counted.

T
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:34:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It's not actually being built in 90 days, it's being assembled in 90 days, work offsite and the foundation are'nt being counted.

T

This is kind of what I figured. Just out of curiousity, how big is the foundation for a building of that size? I'd imagine it takes months to properly cure.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:59:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Harbor Freight Tower

Heh

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:07:47 AM EDT
[#11]
I think the phrase "its not about if you can, but rather if you should" comes to mind here...
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:39:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

T

This is kind of what I figured. Just out of curiousity, how big is the foundation for a building of that size? I'd imagine it takes months to properly cure.

it depends on where it's located

if there is bedrock 10 feet down, then it's goign to be on short steel bearing piles socketed into the rock

if it's on a massive lens of ancient sea bottom jello slime, the pile tips might go down 100 feet or more

that's a very important consideration

the world trade center was founded on concrete walls that went down to bedrock if i remember correctly
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:42:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
And here in the US we can't get one half as big/complex put up in ten years to replace the twin towers.

Lemme tell ya, all of us down there just said "Dust off the original drawings, upgrade the floor structural design (no big deal really) and rebuild the damn things."

They would have been up and occupied in 3 years. Ya gotta love the politicians and the Port Authority......

I also suggested that instead of 110 floors each, we make one 109 and the other 111 for symbolism. As far as tenants, station a company of Air Defense Artillery on the floors just below the top. The top floors? He'll, perfect place for a mosque.

the world trade center could have been rebuilt in a year if anyone wanted it done

you see the original design for the replacement?   what a dismal, depressing, filthy fucking POS that was.  

politicians + architects, what a perfect storm
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:47:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
<snip>

if you asked  aircraft designer what the most efficient airliner is, he wouldn't say one that had 40 engines and carried 20,000 people at a time

Great, now you gave the airline execs an idea on how to make flying coach EVEN WORSE.

Thanks a lot.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:48:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
The same folks who built these?  Yeah, you won't catch my ass in one.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01432/china_1432267c.jpg
To be fair that building is strong as a mother fucker, it fell over and is in one piece. the foundation is another story.

+1

I'd like to know how they can secure the foundation and cure it in time to support the weight of even an empty bulding more than a few stories tall?   Piered into bedrock maybe?

If you watch the Hotel video, it looks like how they did it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:50:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Does it meet code?
Whose code?

The Swanson Code.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:57:06 AM EDT
[#17]
You'd probably never see me in it, hell i would never visit China. But its 100% doable. Its all modular, the floors are pre-assembled and dropped into place like legos. Construction companies on my campus put up new buildings this way in just a few months. While they may get it up in 90 days, things like water, HVAC, networking and electricity will take much longer.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:40:10 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't know why you are all concerned about earthquakes. Everyone knows that it is not earthquakes you need to worry about if your eyes are slanted.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:48:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Cool!

China is working hard.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top