Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:42:07 PM EDT
[#1]
For you United Way bashers, you can give all your money to a specific charity, including the Boy Scouts and they will have the organiztion send you their receipt for the full amount.

I give to MS charities.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:46:55 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
TCSD - if .gov cut back on forced charity programs and allowed us to keep more of our money, then more people like me WOULD contribute to WORTHWHILE charities.

uh huh..and if we cut back on gov't programs and still no one contributes, what then? Remember, these programs were often set up because there was often no capacity in the private sector to meet the need.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:54:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't give Jesus his 10% off the top, why should I give to anyone else?
I'll do anything for someone I know, but I don't give to faceless national charities.
tony
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:38:20 PM EDT
[#4]
If no one contributes?  Tough shit.  I think it is criminal that MY money is redistributed to those who do not work or provide for themselves.  Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.  Not "free food, shelter, and medical care, not to mention cable TV, phone, internet, and education."

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:06:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The problem is that once you give to your church or some other organization you lose the ablity to make that distinction.  If I see someone trying to better themselves and I choose to help that one person directly that's one thing, but virtually every charity in the world does nothing but prop up people that should be left to fall.  It's reverse darwinism.

That lack of control is exactly why I do not give all of my 10% to my church.  I will support them and give them money each week, but as most churches do not follow the tithing laws themselves (every third year giving everything to the poor, orphans, etc.), I have made it a point to put my money where my personal beliefs are.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:19:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I give clothes and children's toys to battered women's shelter, and other misc crap to goodwill.  I also purchase the calendars and cards they send from the humane society. What can I say, I'm a sucker for kids and animals.

I refuse to give money to people on the street, and the people that come up on the street corners with their buckets and fake churchy needs...ARG....well, except for the firemen when they have their boots out on the corners....that's AOK

What about the Shriners for the children's hospitals they fund?

Yeah, I rarely give money to people on street corners.  I have been known to go buy food for people who have "Will work for food" or "Hungry, please help" signs.  So far no one has refused it.

Once at a grocery store, I bought a bottle of apple juice, some yogurt, a pack of chicken and a pack of construction paper for a family that was checking out in front of me.  They were Persians and had little money, and put those things back when they were buying groceries because they could not afford them.  The cashier got really upset with them because they were just trying to make sure they could afford what they were buying.  I asked her to put those things on my bill and had my wife stop them on the way out.  The man, who was probably the grandfather of the small child said they could not accept them, but I simply said "I do this in the name of my God.  May they bring some happiness to your family and God bless you."  The look on his face was priceless.

I tell you, you'll not find a more charitable group than ar15.com members.  When I almost lost my house two years ago, DonR and the rest of the guys came to my rescue.  I haven't forgotten that, and hope I never do.

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:22:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
For you United Way bashers, you can give all your money to a specific charity, including the Boy Scouts and they will have the organiztion send you their receipt for the full amount.

I give to MS charities.

On my United Way form given to me two weeks ago it said "The United Way of Dallas no longer supports the Boy Scouts of America."

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:23:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
TCSD - if .gov cut back on forced charity programs and allowed us to keep more of our money, then more people like me WOULD contribute to WORTHWHILE charities.

uh huh..and if we cut back on gov't programs and still no one contributes, what then? Remember, these programs were often set up because there was often no capacity in the private sector to meet the need.

During the Great Depression, maybe.

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:26:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
, but as most churches do not follow the tithing laws themselves (every third year giving everything to the poor, orphans, etc.)

I have never heard of that requirement....exactly what is supposed to fund the day to day  church  expenses and operations every 3rd year if they give every dime to the poor?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:35:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Deuteronomy
14:28  At the end of three years thou shalt bring forth all the tithe of thine increase the same year, and shalt lay it up within thy gates:

14:29  And the Levite, (because he hath no part nor inheritance with thee,) and the stranger, and the fatherless, and the widow, which are within thy gates, shall come, and shall eat and be satisfied; that the LORD thy God may bless thee in all the work of thine hand which thou doest.

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:40:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I always give to the salvation army posts, and buy a lot of those one dollar donation things at the supermarket. I also give to kids selling candy bars and buy alot from my daughter for her school fundraiser. I don't mind a little charity, but as a kid I went without a lot, and often wonder why I am giving so much to a world that never gave to me. Then I realize that I give what I can because I CAN!!! And I am greatful. Perhaps it is silly of me, but I hope that the little bit I have to give is helping someone. I also hope that I am setting a good example for my daughter. Taxes aren't charity they are mandatory. Most of what people pay for in takes isn't going to feed the hungry or warm the cold, so a little extra cash given to the organization of your choice is always a good idea. IMHO. ETA - I also belive that every little thing you give comes back to you three fold at some point. It may not be monitary. It could be joy, love, or health, but God is keeping track of our humility, and kindness.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:42:37 PM EDT
[#12]
As we say in our household when people grumble about going to church on Sunday morning, "The Lord's been good to us.  2 Hours of worship and Sunday schoool is the least we can do."

I give because the Lord has blessed me.  And he also helps those who help themselves.

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:42:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Miz LWilde is always taking care of some charity or another.  We also give tons of "stuff" of various kinds away every year...and not junk either.  That woman is really a "throwaway" type of person.

For the last few years we've exceeded $2500.00 in cash and donations.  Last year is was something like $3,900.00.  In 2002, we dumped a running 1988 Ford Turbo Coupe on the Purple Heart Assn.  Cracked me up in 2000 when I found out how much that cheap bastard AlGore gave.  What a piker!  We make a damn sight less than him and Miz Tipper...but he donated less than 1/5 what we gave.  Cheap bastard....all those limosine libs are the same too.  Check out Kerry's contributions compared to the Bush's.

Now...don't think my reasons are totally unselfish and pure as the driven slush.  Our tax man likes it.

We also give to the local volunteer and EMS fire depts.  I figure that is money well spent 'cause it helps keep the taxman away from the doorstep.  Civic duty and all that...
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:47:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Cash only to church, Salvation Army, Red Cross, and Scouts.  United Way can kiss my hairy ass.
Time is donated for local needs.

DanM
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:55:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Deuteronomy
14:28  At the end of three years thou shalt bring forth all the tithe of thine increase the same year, and shalt lay it up within thy gates:

14:29  And the Levite, (because he hath no part nor inheritance with thee,) and the stranger, and the fatherless, and the widow, which are within thy gates, shall come, and shall eat and be satisfied; that the LORD thy God may bless thee in all the work of thine hand which thou doest.

Doesn't answer my questions: what is supposed to pay the churches operating expenses if they give every third years money to the poor? Most churches can barely pay the bills as it is.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:03:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Meals on Wheels is the only charitable organization I give $ to.  They helped out my grandfather when he needed them.

Actually, my wife sounds a little like Mrs LWilde above.  She volunteers and delivers meals after quitting her 35k a year  job.  So, I figure I'm into this for 35k plus a new Jeep to drive.  Hell, I didn't even realize I was buying window a/c units and dog food for some of these people.  Many of them have piece of shit children that don't take care of them.

Also, we contribute to the SCPA and have had many dogs and cats neutered and spayed.

Other than that the rest of the world can fuck off.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:29:50 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Deuteronomy

Doesn't answer my questions: what is supposed to pay the churches operating expenses if they give every third years money to the poor? Most churches can barely pay the bills as it is.

Live within their means?  I don't know about your church, but mine's not hurting for money.

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:38:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Around here they try the fored thing, but I didnt give any.

People hit me up for thier kids stuff, but didnt have anything I want.  I nearly always get one of those coupon books though, I quess some of it helps them, plus I USE then and save money.  Im a cheap bastard I admit it.  I tell people if their kids are selling something like that bring me one I'll look over it, if its half decent I'll get one, sometimes more.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:29:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Yeah, I really hate it when the KIDS don't do shit to get the donations but have their parents pimp for them at work.  Really teaching a valuable lesson there, guys.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:40:51 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Jesus wants you tho give

Justmake sure to give to good groups (salvation army etc) and not political organizations (united way)

Unfortunately the SA is a bit political these days....Wish I could say more, but I won't.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:48:09 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Live within their means?  I don't know about your church, but mine's not hurting for money.

Unfortunately many are hurting for money.

I agree that the point of the church is to meet people's needs. But a great many churches can barely keep their doors open. This can be attributed most often to lack of faithfulness by local members, but that is another topic...

In my denomination, our local church pays tithes to the state offices, who in turn tithes to the national offices. We also give to missions, the church orphanage, the home for troubled teens, various relief efforts across the US and the world, to building churches overseas in poor countries, to training missionaries, the list is almost endless.

Our denomination doesn't just hoard money for the purpose of making the leadership rich. (Though they do get paid more than I would like to see, and they get to a certain status in the church and never go back to being a regular pastor as the minutes state they should...)

At our international convention, for instance, we always bring in truckloads of food, clothing, toys, and other things for the poor of whatever city we go to. The idea is that when our church leaves that city, the poor will be better off than when we got there.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:38:51 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Do they have enough in savings to literally exist off that amount while forwarding every penny contributed for a year to soem worthwhile cause? I don't know any Protestant denomonation that can do that. I would imagine even the RC church with its relative wealth would be hard-pressed to routinely do that.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top